Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Old 09-13-21, 10:03 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,177
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

You can’t be a Republican if you don’t believe in the Big Lie. The party truly is a wasteland.
Old 09-13-21, 10:33 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18,414
Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
the strategy isnít just only to scream fraud but to also undermine the electoral process and democracy itself. If Republicans donít believe in fair and free elections, the next step is to claim fraudulent government and institutions which gets us more 1/6 insurrections. The Republicans are not just screaming election fraud, they are actively enacting restrictive voting laws and taking over ďproblematicĒ counties like Fulton because they donít like how they votes. They are screaming fraud while at the same time trying to control who gets to vote and who counts tge votes. Democracy is hanging by a thread because one party does not believe in it.
And sadly, in 10 or 15 years, itíll be Democrats, out of options, who will be storming the Capitol hoping to save democracy.
Old 09-14-21, 09:20 AM
  #128  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,647
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I went to early voting for our Canadian federal election, today, and noticed this piece of work, representing the morons of Canada.

It's dumb enough that you believe it, but why would you feel the need to wear it to vote in a Canadian election?

I naively thought Canada doesn't have this kind of trash. Then I saw Trailer Park Boys and it opened up a whole side of Canada I didn't know existed.
Old 09-14-21, 10:03 AM
  #129  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,595
Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
California, like most states experienced fraud with pandemic unemployment benefits. Some was Californiaís fault and some of it was the Feds fault.

The amount of identity theft was unprecedented and ran the gambit from individual fraud to organized crime syndicates. To blame the Governor for systems that were in place long before he ever took office is just partisan nonsense.

Also the 60b figure you claimed is actually double the correct sum. You are probably confusing the sum of fraudulent claims California stopped which has been reported to be 60b with the amount that was lost.
Nonsense. I didn't claim anything. I started my response with "The argument is" as I was explaining how the Republicans are justifying the cost of the recall. I never once claimed any of it was true or accurate.

I'll glad when this is over today. I'm tired of all the stupid commercials. I personally think Newsom is a slime but we could do a lot worse and he's in another year I don't see it as a big deal. This recall election was a chance for Elder to get his foot in the door and get the name recognition to run next year.
Old 09-14-21, 04:58 PM
  #130  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 25,065
Received 503 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I went to early voting for our Canadian federal election, today, and noticed this piece of work, representing the morons of Canada.

It's dumb enough that you believe it, but why would you feel the need to wear it to vote in a Canadian election?

A PPC voter, I bet.

We sent our absentee ballots in... not that it'll make any difference in our particular riding.
Old 09-14-21, 10:38 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 18,666
Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Polls closed in California 35 minutes ago and early results have Newson staying at 67% to 33%. Hope that trend continues (even though Elder started screaming "fraud" yesterday).
Old 09-14-21, 10:48 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,293
Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Polls closed in California 35 minutes ago and early results have Newson staying at 67% to 33%. Hope that trend continues (even though Elder started screaming "fraud" yesterday).
CNN and Fox are projecting that will hold and heís staying. What a fantastic waste of time and money for the Republicans.

Might show that their opposition to covid mandates isnít the silver bullet to a win they think it is (I realize this is also California).
Old 09-14-21, 11:39 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,566
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Waiting for Trump to called the election rigged.
Old 09-14-21, 11:43 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,293
Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

This headline

Oh Fox, always Foxing.



Old 09-14-21, 11:57 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,886
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread


Old 09-15-21, 12:31 AM
  #136  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 21,499
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
CNN and Fox are projecting that will hold and heís staying. What a fantastic waste of time and money for the Republicans.

Might show that their opposition to covid mandates isnít the silver bullet to a win they think it is (I realize this is also California).
I think you meant waste of money for California tax payers.
Old 09-15-21, 12:56 AM
  #137  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,293
Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
I think you meant waste of money for California tax payers.
Yep, I meant by the Republicans.
Old 09-15-21, 12:58 AM
  #138  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 21,499
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Fair
Old 09-15-21, 01:11 AM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 18,666
Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Old 09-15-21, 08:25 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18,414
Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
CNN and Fox are projecting that will hold and heís staying. What a fantastic waste of time and money for the Republicans.
Iím 100% not saying that fraud exists in the election but this is the kind of stuff that Republican voters will use as evidence of fraud. I heard for the last few days that the results would be trickling in over the next week or so due to the ballots only needing to be postmarked by the 14th and the. Then just hours after the polls close, the news channels declare Newsom the winner.

Again, Iím not saying thereís fraud but you know the people that already suspect a fraudulent election just use that as more proof.
Old 09-15-21, 08:30 AM
  #141  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,747
Received 182 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iím 100% not saying that fraud exists in the election but this is the kind of stuff that Republican voters will use as evidence of fraud. I heard for the last few days that the results would be trickling in over the next week or so due to the ballots only needing to be postmarked by the 14th and the. Then just hours after the polls close, the news channels declare Newsom the winner.

Again, Iím not saying thereís fraud but you know the people that already suspect a fraudulent election just use that as more proof.
And if the news didn't declare a winner then *that* would be their evidence: "They knew Newsome was losing but didn't say so, and later delcared him the winnder? FRAUD!"

There's absolutely no winning with the delusional and deceitful.
Old 09-15-21, 08:34 AM
  #142  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,886
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Oh absolutely. You can explain that the ballots are trackable and that there would have to be x number of ballots in the mail for it to make a difference.

But that would confuse more people than it'd clarify to.
Old 09-15-21, 08:46 AM
  #143  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,747
Received 182 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Oh absolutely. You can explain that the ballots are trackable and that there would have to be x number of ballots in the mail for it to make a difference.

But that would confuse more people than it'd clarify to.
"Oh, so you ADMIT they track our votes? THAT'S HOW THEY INTERCEPT AND ALTER THEM!!!!!!!!!"

*sigh*
Old 09-15-21, 09:10 AM
  #144  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,264
Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I’m 100% not saying that fraud exists in the election but this is the kind of stuff that Republican voters will use as evidence of fraud. I heard for the last few days that the results would be trickling in over the next week or so due to the ballots only needing to be postmarked by the 14th and the. Then just hours after the polls close, the news channels declare Newsom the winner.

Again, I’m not saying there’s fraud but you know the people that already suspect a fraudulent election just use that as more proof.
I guess every election since I've been born is fraudulent because they always called the election before all the votes were in based on projections (and sometimes they're wrong).

In this case, any true Republican wouldn't vote by mail so I'm not sure how they expect the (later) mail in votes to turn the tide here. The fact that Elder had his webpage up challenging the outcome of the election prematurely just adds to this farce.

Not to mention that Elder himself probably shot their chances of winning in the foot. If they had even a slightly more moderate Republican up there maybe they had a shot, but once he was the R frontrunner and Newsom's campaign could target just him and all the crazy things he's said...
Old 09-15-21, 09:21 AM
  #145  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 33,977
Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

I told you bringing in Rose McGowan in to stump for him would be a bad idea.

Old 09-15-21, 09:27 AM
  #146  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,647
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Waiting for Trump to called the election rigged.

Trump, who told Newsmax this week that the election to recall Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom is ďprobably rigged,Ē
Old 09-15-21, 09:28 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,595
Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

I agree.. There's a few things here.

This is a deep blue state. Unless you are someone with a big name like Schwarzenegger or Reagan you're not going to prevail here as a Republican. It really doesn't matter your positions on issues. Elder didn't come anywhere near that star power.

Elder refused to participate in the Republican debates. He said that debating amongst themselves just give Newsom more ammunition but it also let the media write the narrative on Elder. Most everyone only knew him as an off-the-rails crazy man and his big push back from that was "I'm not Newsom" which was not the right message;. Most of the state doesn't have a problem with Newsom so if you want to beat him you have to provide some proof you will be better. He didn't even bother.

I'm tired of election fraud claims. This couldn't have been easier - just fill out your ballot and mail it back. I got an email within 12 hours saying they received my ballot. Simple.

The Republicans will try to spin this as the start of the campaign for next year but like I said at the beginning - unless they have star power they've got nothing. Not here.
Old 09-15-21, 09:46 AM
  #148  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 4,856
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
And if the news didn't declare a winner then *that* would be their evidence: "They knew Newsome was losing but didn't say so, and later delcared him the winnder? FRAUD!"

There's absolutely no winning with the delusional and deceitful.
The Republicans never say that the election that elected them on the same ballot was fraudulent but that the other
ones where Trump lost was rigged. Pelosi should have refused to seat any of those Republicans until a thorough 2 year Bengazi circus investigation is conducted.
Old 09-15-21, 10:21 AM
  #149  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,264
Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I agree.. There's a few things here.

This is a deep blue state. Unless you are someone with a big name like Schwarzenegger or Reagan you're not going to prevail here as a Republican. It really doesn't matter your positions on issues. Elder didn't come anywhere near that star power.

Elder refused to participate in the Republican debates. He said that debating amongst themselves just give Newsom more ammunition but it also let the media write the narrative on Elder. Most everyone only knew him as an off-the-rails crazy man and his big push back from that was "I'm not Newsom" which was not the right message;. Most of the state doesn't have a problem with Newsom so if you want to beat him you have to provide some proof you will be better. He didn't even bother.

I'm tired of election fraud claims. This couldn't have been easier - just fill out your ballot and mail it back. I got an email within 12 hours saying they received my ballot. Simple.

The Republicans will try to spin this as the start of the campaign for next year but like I said at the beginning - unless they have star power they've got nothing. Not here.
Yeah, I don't get the whole "Elder is setting himself up for next year." This was basically his big chance, hoping for a low turnout, getting 50% of that low turnout to vote for the recall then sliding in with a minority of the votes. Even people who would otherwise be excited to vote for CA's first black governor couldn't hold their nose and vote for someone who believes that white slave owners deserved reparations.
Old 09-15-21, 11:36 AM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,647
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Who we've all been waiting to hear from. 55,000 people voted for her as opposed to 5.8 million against the recall.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.