Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Old 09-09-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

^ Agree with all this. I don't like Newsom, but also don't like seeing millions of dollars wasted trying to remove him a year before an election for minor offenses. Assuming he survives this recall, I do hope a better Democratic candidate runs against him next year.
Old 09-09-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
And do what?
uhh... vote against it?
Old 09-09-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

No E at the end of Newsom.
Old 09-09-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts

About the cost well the argument is that $60b was wasted in unemployment fraud in the state since the pandemic happened even though Newsom had said there were protections in place.. but then he said there wasn't enough and he'd fix it.. oopsie sorry. But $250m for a recall.. that's outrageous!! Plus when they voted to move the election up because they felt it would help his chances they acknowledged doing so would cost more because everything would be rushed but, you know, money only matters when you don't think it benefits your side.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
uhh... vote against it?
But the firefighters! The roads! The teachers! You know .. they run the sad commercials and people gobble it up. But at least there will be 2 of us voting no. If you remember Newsom was asked to stop the gas tax hike after the tax surplus and he refused. They are never going turn away new tax money if they can get it. Gotta keep high speed rail going somehow you know. Only positive is that with the current economic environment with the pandemic they may realize it's too risky right now to try it.. hopefully..

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
​​​​​​​Yeah that's totally on me. I've a friend since elementary school who's last name is Newsome .. It's stuck with me forever.
Old 09-09-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I keep making that mistake.

Anyway, if I was gonna fix things, I'd do the following:
- No more "petitions" for recalls, or for the inordinate number of Propositions we get each year. For the non-Golden Staters here, California has a rule that anything can be put on a ballot after a certain number of signatures. This leads to people accosting you at Target and Vons with whatever the latest bug that's up someone's butt, and a line of bullshit like "Do you want more jobs in California?" or "Want to help our school system?" even if the petition in question is tangentially related to that at best. And oh, these people get PAID per each signature so they're motivated to lie to get you to sign. This shit HAS to end.

Couple of options for recalls:
- If there is a recall, more people must select the replacement than select the recalled candidate. That seems obvious, but isn't the case. If 49% vote to keep Newsom, and 20% vote for Elder but that's more than any of the other candidates get, then Elder is the new governor. Does that seem right to [i]anyone[i]?
- Or, if there's a recall, then it's a runoff election among the top replacement candidates, and the recalled governor CAN run in this runoff.

Like I said, this is a loophole that is being exploited by Republicans. Completely legal, but it allows for a candidate to win with minimal support even if there's substantial and greater support for the existing governor. This is not why the process is in place, and everyone knows it.
Old 09-09-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why didn't they fix this crap after the Ahnold circus? At least he won by >50%. Democrats had 18 years to fix it and sat on their hands. Newsom's going to keep his job but what an embarrassment California is to the rest of the country after this joke.
Old 09-09-21, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Why didn't they fix this crap after the Ahnold circus? At least he won by >50%. Democrats had 18 years to fix it and sat on their hands. Newsom's going to keep his job but what an embarrassment California is to the rest of the country after this joke.
Actually 48.6%, but that was more than the votes to retain Gray Davis, I incorrectly stated the opposite earlier.
Old 09-09-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
It takes a super majority vote to remove something from the California constitution while it only take a simple majority to add something.

There is no chance in hell enough Republicans would ever vote to change it.
Old 09-12-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts

So Rose McGowan is practically campaigning for Larry Elder out here.

Rose McGowan slams Black Lives Matter alongside Larry Elder: 'He might just know more than you'

Actress Rose McGowan called out the Black Lives Matter movement during her event with California gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder, arguing that people should stop labelling each other based on race and focus on their humanity instead.

"They want to hear that the more we micro label each other, the better we'll be," McGowan said during a Sunday press conference. "The reality is, today, I challenge this state, I challenge these voters, I challenge the media, to back up. Be human first, vote for humanity."

The comments came during a press conference the actress held with Elder, who leads the pack among candidates to become the next governor of California if current Gov. Gavin Newsom is removed from office in the state's recall election on Tuesday.

McGowan appeared alongside the Republican candidate after accusing Newsom's wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom of attempting to persuade her not to go public with her allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

"So this woman, I don’t know, some blonde lady name with the last name of the Newsom, cold-calls me, and was like, David Boies wants to know what it would take to make you happy,' McGowan said during an appearance on the Rubin Report.

McGowan declared at the event Sunday that she was no longer a Democrat. She also said that despite having some different policy views than Elder, she believed he was "the better candidate and the better man."

McGowan specifically took issue with the media and White critics disagreeing with his message as a Black man simply because he disagrees with the Black Lives Matter movement.

"Understand who it's coming from and that he might just know more than you living in a different skin," McGowan said.

Elder himself took issue with the rise in critical race theory politics during the event, saying he doesn't "believe in systemic racism."

"The first time Gallup asked about racism, about whether or not you'd vote for a Black president was 1958," Elder said. "And the percentage who said yes was in the high 30's. Now, only three percent said they would not vote for a Black president."

"I am going to be uniting when I become governor," Elder continued. "I'm going to use my bully pulpit to unite us. Because we have far more in common than we have apart."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rose-mcgo...215657140.html

Old 09-12-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It sucks what she has been through but also yikes.
Old 09-12-21, 09:30 PM

So let me get this straight, McGowan believes the man that defend himself against sexual harassment charges with the “she isn’t pretty enough for me to have harassed her” defense, is the better man.

Ok
Old 09-12-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He also feels slave owners should have gotten reparations for loss of property. I'm ... I ... how ...??
Old 09-13-21, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Lest we forget :

Old 09-13-21, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

I miss the old days when saying shitty things made you less attractive a candidate instead of more attractive.
Old 09-13-21, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
About the cost well the argument is that $60b was wasted in unemployment fraud in the state since the pandemic….
California, like most states experienced fraud with pandemic unemployment benefits. Some was California’s fault and some of it was the Feds fault.

The amount of identity theft was unprecedented and ran the gambit from individual fraud to organized crime syndicates. To blame the Governor for systems that were in place long before he ever took office is just partisan nonsense.

Also the 60b figure you claimed is actually double the correct sum. You are probably confusing the sum of fraudulent claims California stopped which has been reported to be 60b with the amount that was lost.

Old 09-13-21, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even if it is 60billion and a waste, how can you use that to say that 250 million to recall a governor with a year left on his term isn't a colossal waste of time and money, especially given the number of signatures needed to invoke such a recall?
Old 09-13-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I miss the old days when saying shitty things made you less attractive a candidate instead of more attractive.

Sorry for the poor quality, NBC doesn't have an official version of this one up.
Old 09-13-21, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Eddie Murphy as Rev. Jesse Jackson:Hymietown SNL - YouTube

Sorry for the poor quality, NBC doesn't have an official version of this one up.
I wonder why...

Old 09-13-21, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they got Obama do to an ad (as well as Elisabeth Warren, AOC, and Kamala Harris) and now Biden is here arm in arm with Newsom. Democrats aren't taking any chances here.
Old 09-13-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 180 Posts

I went to early voting for our Canadian federal election, today, and noticed this piece of work, representing the morons of Canada.

It's dumb enough that you believe it, but why would you feel the need to wear it to vote in a Canadian election?

Old 09-13-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So they got Obama do to an ad (as well as Elisabeth Warren, AOC, and Kamala Harris) and now Biden is here arm in arm with Newsom. Democrats aren't taking any chances here.

I've seen the one with Obama. Democrats united.
Old 09-13-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I've seen the one with Obama. Democrats united.
Doesn't matter, it seems. Elder is saying he won't commit to accepting the election results if he loses. I'm so tired of this insane horseshit.
Old 09-13-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I went to early voting for our Canadian federal election, today, and noticed this piece of work, representing the morons of Canada.

It's dumb enough that you believe it, but why would you feel the need to wear it to vote in a Canadian election?

She must not wear that very much - there's no way the marker could hold up for very many washings over the past 5 years.
Old 09-13-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Doesn't matter, it seems. Elder is saying he won't commit to accepting the election results if he loses. I'm so tired of this insane horseshit.
I've long since given up hope that Republicans and their supporters will ever see the light when they act like horses' asses, but it will be real interesting watching them trying to scream "voter fraud" when a Democratic governor wins in the bluest state in the nation. I mean, the proper lesson to take from this is "Heyyyyyyyy.....maybe some people are just crying 'fraud' because they lost an election", but no, they'll power through a bunch of recounts and audits. They won't win over any supporters that way, they'll just be painted as the sore losers they are.
Old 09-13-21, 09:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I've long since given up hope that Republicans and their supporters will ever see the light when they act like horses' asses, but it will be real interesting watching them trying to scream "voter fraud" when a Democratic governor wins in the bluest state in the nation. I mean, the proper lesson to take from this is "Heyyyyyyyy.....maybe some people are just crying 'fraud' because they lost an election", but no, they'll power through a bunch of recounts and audits. They won't win over any supporters that way, they'll just be painted as the sore losers they are.
the strategy isn’t just only to scream fraud but to also undermine the electoral process and democracy itself. If Republicans don’t believe in fair and free elections, the next step is to claim fraudulent government and institutions which gets us more 1/6 insurrections. The Republicans are not just screaming election fraud, they are actively enacting restrictive voting laws and taking over “problematic” counties like Fulton because they don’t like how they votes. They are screaming fraud while at the same time trying to control who gets to vote and who counts tge votes. Democracy is hanging by a thread because one party does not believe in it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.