Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Old 08-08-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Shontel Brown is an actual politician and Nina Turner is a bomb-thrower who seems to be in it solely for the Twitter likes.
Oh no. I know we have AOC. But I do NOT want my party to take in as many attention-whore trolls as the GOP has. In two or four years I could be starting the "The Democratic Party Need to be Dismantled" thread and debating why I rightfully threw away my vote to an independent party while Joe Exotic became POTUS.
Old 08-08-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Unless we change political appointments to be selected by some sort of draft process politics will always be filled with people with larger than normal egos on all sides of the aisle. What matters to me is how they use those egos. Would you have a problem with someone "Attention whore trolling" as part of their strategy which leads to the successful passing of <insert issue you care about here>?

Did you have a problem with Cori Bush protesting at the Capitol?
Old 08-08-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problem with Cori Bush protesting at the Capitol to advance progressive goals like extending the eviction moratorium. In fact, I applaud it.

I have all sorts of problem with Nina Turner comparing voting for Joe Biden to eating half a bowl of shit, or nodding along with Killer Mike as he attacks James Clyburn for supporting Joe Biden, all as she asks voters to send her to Washington where she will have to work with Joe Biden and James Clyburn.

You will notice that when Rep. Bush was protesting, she made it about the issue. She didn't castigate Pelosi or Biden. She called on them and her Democratic colleagues to take action, but she didn't ever shift focus from the issue to the politicians.
Old 08-08-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That's fine man. I wasn't asking you. I was asking Troy because he made the comment asserting that AOC is an attention-whore troll. AOC is not perfect. I have some critiques about what she has and hasn't done but someone saying that the democrat party is going to hell because of people like her being attention-whore trolls is somewhat baffling to me. Nancy Pelosi does just as many performative photo ops as AOC. The difference? AOC is speaking about saving the planet and giving working people a better chance (very broadly speaking). Nancy Pelosi is explaining to you why you might be mad if your child doesn't go to college and your taxes are used in a way that doesn't benefit you directly.

If for some reason you don't like the comparison to Nancy Pelosi seriously feel free to pick another popular politician and I'll go over how they're just as attention whorish as AOC is. And if you dont like them all being whorish that's totally understandable but this isn't something AOC brings to the party.
Old 08-10-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
Can you imagine the fucking nerve of someone who lost a popularity contest to Donald Fuckboi Trump calling the most popular politician in the nation unpopular and saying shit like "No one likes him" like a 5 year child after he worked hard to try and get her elected in 2016 and still doesn't publicly badmouth her to this day.
First of all, as others have pointed out, Clinton did not lose a popularity contest to Donald Trump, she lost the EC which is not a popularity contest.

Secondly, she is talking about Sanders not being liked by fellow members of Congress. That opinion appears to be true judging by how few members of Congress actually endorsed him. After decades in the Congress to have just a few endorse you does indicate that you are not well like.

Last point, it's time for you to retire the "most popular" line you often post about Sanders, from what I remember that was from a poll in 2017 (this is 2021) and he hasn't held the number one position since.

Old 08-10-21, 10:14 AM

Here is a good article that discusses what the results of the Ohio 11 primary show about the Democratic party.

What some progressive activists fail to realize: Democrats like their party

This is why some one like Turner will probably never will a primary. When you have spent years trashing the party, it takes a lot of fucking nerve to ask members of the party to vote for you.

Old 08-10-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
I'd say (fairly or unfairly) she's the most hated politician of the last 50 years.
That was apparent in 2016, how else could the Citrus Buffoon™ have gotten elected? But he showed her and took over the most-hated title handily.
Old 08-10-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
That was apparent in 2016, how else could the Citrus Buffoon™ have gotten elected? But he showed her and took over the most-hated title handily.

She was the second-most disliked Presidential candidate ever polled for a general election at 56% unfavorable. Trump was the most disliked at 63% unfavorable.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ever/89644296/
Old 08-10-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Official Biden Presidency Thread

Democrats are forever their worst enemies. Now it's looking like Gavin Newsom may be recalled because too many Democrats are either apathetic or just want to get rid of any politician. Then we may get Governor Larry Elder who will start outlawing mandates like those idiots in FL and TX. Yes the bluest state in the country may well elect a Republican radio (what's that?) talk show host. I weep for this party.
Old 08-10-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: The Official Biden Presidency Thread

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Democrats are forever their worst enemies. Now it's looking like Gavin Newsom may be recalled because too many Democrats are either apathetic or just want to get rid of any politician. Then we may get Governor Larry Elder who will start outlawing mandates like those idiots in FL and TX. Yes the bluest state in the country may well elect a Republican radio (what's that?) talk show host. I weep for this party.
The way the recall election is setup is really odd to me. The Republican party isn't even going to put their weight behind a single candidate, and why should they, when any one of them could win with a relatively tiny portion of the vote (if the recall gets a majority).
Old 08-10-21, 04:13 PM

I hope the prospect of a nightmarish Trump Republican governor is enough to spur all those disinterested Democrats to get off their asses and vote.
Is voting easy enough to do with early voting places and via absentee ballots?
Are Democrats getting the word out via ads and stuff?

This is scary. Hopefully CA learns a lesson about passing a million stupid unnecessary laws after this mess.
Old 08-10-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I hope the prospect of a nightmarish Trump Republican governor is enough to spur all those disinterested Democrats to get off their asses and vote.
Is voting easy enough to do with early voting places and via absentee ballots?
Are Democrats getting the word out via ads and stuff?

This is scary. Hopefully CA learns a lesson about passing a million stupid unnecessary laws after this mess.
Don't know about the rest of the state - although I assume it would be the same - but in Orange County "Every voter will receive an official ballot through the mail". And you can mail it in, drop it off, still vote in person if you want ... That makes it pretty easy in my opinion. But yeah, the issue is getting Democrats worked up enough to make the effort. I'm not a fan of Newsom - even though I did vote for him - but the idea that Larry Elder could be governor just chills me.
Old 08-10-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

Newsom is also basically telling everyone who supports him to just vote on the first measure (the recall yes/no) and not the second (the replacement candidate). I get that to him that's the most important thing, but in the case he does get recalled, all of those Democrats better fill in the second measure anyway.

Honestly, I can't even name a single Democratic challenger, which seems like a bad thing.
Old 08-10-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

The entire recall is ridiculous. Newsom has done nothing to warrant being recalled. It's a GOP power grab. But Recall Fever seems to be the thing now. Maybe Democrats should organize recalls for the Texas and Florida governors. Abbott and DeSantis have messed up a lot more than Newsom.
Old 08-10-21, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
The entire recall is ridiculous. Newsom has done nothing to warrant being recalled. It's a GOP power grab. But Recall Fever seems to be the thing now. Maybe Democrats should organize recalls for the Texas and Florida governors. Abbott and DeSantis have messed up a lot more than Newsom.
Their states don't have comically easy recall election standards.
Old 08-10-21, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Newsom is also basically telling everyone who supports him to just vote on the first measure (the recall yes/no) and not the second (the replacement candidate). I get that to him that's the most important thing, but in the case he does get recalled, all of those Democrats better fill in the second measure anyway.

Honestly, I can't even name a single Democratic challenger, which seems like a bad thing.
The problem is there is not one experienced politician on the Democratic side that is one the ballot. It's all a bunch of people that have never held office.

Hopefully that fact that every registered voter is getting a ballot will help with getting Democrats out to vote.

By the way, the California recall system is far too easy to trigger but I doubt anyone is willing to change it.

Old 08-10-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

Pretty amazing to think CA might have two of the three successful governor recalls of the last century (North Dakota 1921 and Gray Davis).
Old 08-10-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

California Democrats are trying to avoid the mixed message of "Vote no on the recall, but also vote for Eric Garcetti [or some other credible Democrat] as the potential replacement," so they're going all in on "Vote no on the recall." It's the same strategy they tried with Gray Davis. Hopefully it works better for them this time.
Old 08-10-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
There are enough Californians who disagree and believe that Newsom has done things to warrant being recalled. As for Abbott and DeSantis, they're primarily guilty of taking a Trumpian approach to managing the pandemic. Up to this point, Florida and Texas are still not the worst from a per/capita perspective. (That might very well change soon)

Old 08-10-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

So I'm guessing this is another recall where if Gavin Newsom gets 49% of the vote, he's automatically recalled and the next governor is whomever gets the most votes in the field, even if it's Gary Coleman's corpse with 20%?

That seems fair.
Old 08-10-21, 07:02 PM

So thanks to 1.7 million people California is wasting 275 million dollars to replace a Governor whose term ends in Jan 2023. If replaced the new Governor will not take office until Oct 2021. Great job wasting money.
Old 08-11-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
California Democrats are trying to avoid the mixed message of "Vote no on the recall, but also vote for Eric Garcetti [or some other credible Democrat] as the potential replacement," so they're going all in on "Vote no on the recall." It's the same strategy they tried with Gray Davis. Hopefully it works better for them this time.
No, the Gray Davis strategy was actually the confusing (though not to people that pay attention) "vote no on the first question, but vote for Lt. Governor on second question)" messaging. They think it was a failing strategy because the prominent Democrat only got like 30% of the vote. So this time they're just focusing on the first question. It seems like a bad idea to not have a backup, but I guess I understand not wanting to muddy the waters.
Old 08-11-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

That’s the problem when voters are either clueless or not paying attention.
Old 08-11-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
No, the Gray Davis strategy was actually the confusing (though not to people that pay attention) "vote no on the first question, but vote for Lt. Governor on second question)" messaging. They think it was a failing strategy because the prominent Democrat only got like 30% of the vote. So this time they're just focusing on the first question. It seems like a bad idea to not have a backup, but I guess I understand not wanting to muddy the waters.
The Gray Davis strategy of running the Lt Gov was dumb because it was like "would you rather have the 2nd in charge of the guy who is doing a crappy job be governor or a movie star, like Arnold?"
I hope the recall fails because it was a rough couple years to be a state employee after the last one.
Old 08-11-21, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Thanks for the correction -- I misremembered.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.