Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rush Limbaugh has died

Old 02-19-21, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: Rush Limbaugh has died

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Well, we could reinstate the fairness doctrine.
I'm all for that. Of course, it was Reagan appointees who worked to get rid of it. And since Reagan is so beloved by Republicans, I'm sure they'll fight any attempt to bring it back.

Last edited by Draven; 02-19-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm all for that. Of course, it was Reagan appointees who worked to get rid of it. And since Reagan is so beloved by Republicans, I'm sure they'll fight any attempt to bring it back.
I thought you were opposed to the Fairness Doctrine. Wasn't it you who was describing the chilling effect that it had on the broadcast industry?
Old 02-19-21, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I thought you were opposed to the Fairness Doctrine. Wasn't it you who was describing the chilling effect that it had on the broadcast industry?
No, I don't think so. It wouldn't help with cable news, unfortunately and would need to be updated for the modern age, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with having to offer contrasting viewpoints.

The problem, of course, is that too many people would think this applies to the extremes. As in, if someone says that climate change is caused by CO2 emissions, you'd have to let the people who think it's because of aliens talk too. I think there's a middle ground there. Anything to cut down on the polarization is worth trying, I think.
Old 02-19-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Fairness Doctrine can't fix what's wrong with American news media, and bringing it back would just lead to more shows with people yelling at each other.

Old 02-19-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The Fairness Doctrine can't fix what's wrong with American news media, and bringing it back would just lead to more shows with people yelling at each other.

I know this is just an example but since it was an FCC thing so it wouldn't effect a show like Crossfire on CNN. It could help with radio though (which I realize is less of an issue now than it was when Rush was rising to power).

Again, I don't think balance is a bad thing. We just have to stop treating insane takes like they are part of that balance.
Old 02-19-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this is just an example but since it was an FCC thing so it wouldn't effect a show like Crossfire on CNN. It could help with radio though (which I realize is less of an issue now than it was when Rush was rising to power).

Again, I don't think balance is a bad thing. We just have to stop treating insane takes like they are part of that balance.
I guess my point is that when the balance consists of Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala yelling at each other, we haven't made anything better, we've just made it louder.
Old 02-19-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess my point is that when the balance consists of Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala yelling at each other, we haven't made anything better, we've just made it louder.
Well I can't disagree with that. And I'm not saying it would fix everything. I do think we made it too easy for people to retreat to their corners and never hear a dissenting opinion.
Old 02-19-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I can't disagree with that. And I'm not saying it would fix everything. I do think we made it too easy for people to retreat to their corners and never hear a dissenting opinion.
There's probably some element of that, but I don't think the problem is people on the right don't know what the left says and vice versa. The problem is we've got two sets of facts. So we could implement a new Fairness Doctrine and then when Tucker Carlson (or whoever) claims that poverty is up 17% under Joe Biden, Paul Begala (or whoever) gets to refute it and say "No, it's actually down 3%." But people will just pick and choose which statement they prefer based on whether they were already pro- or anti- Biden (which was in turn probably driven by whether they self-identify as "conservative" or "liberal') and refuse to be swayed, even if one of those statements is backed by Bureau of Labor and Statistics data that shows who is correct.
Old 02-19-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Maybe we need a Fact Doctrine.
Old 02-19-21, 02:56 PM

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

There's probably some element of that, but I don't think the problem is people on the right don't know what the left says and vice versa. The problem is we've got two sets of facts. So we could implement a new Fairness Doctrine and then when Tucker Carlson (or whoever) claims that poverty is up 17% under Joe Biden, Paul Begala (or whoever) gets to refute it and say "No, it's actually down 3%." But people will just pick and choose which statement they prefer based on whether they were already pro- or anti- Biden (which was in turn probably driven by whether they self-identify as "conservative" or "liberal') and refuse to be swayed, even if one of those statements is backed by Bureau of Labor and Statistics data that shows who is correct.
This is exactly the sort of garbage I'd expect from someone who would also argue the governor of Texas isn't a Democrat.
Old 02-19-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowering the flag for this guy is ridiculous.
Old 02-19-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

^ That is wrong on so many levels.
Old 02-19-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Is it a technicality, since Trump gave him the Medal of Freedom? Or did they choose to honor him?
Old 02-19-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

PMed from Kittydreamer via Facebook today, made me howl, can't recall the exact wording but something along the lines of wanting to be the undertaker who got to sew El Rushbo's mouth shut.
Old 02-19-21, 09:17 PM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, Trump 2.0 DeSantis is ordering all FL flags to fly at half staff all over the state for a complete and utter asshole.
Old 02-19-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Posted earlier in the cartoon thread ...

Old 02-19-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Yeah, Trump 2.0 DeSantis is ordering all FL flags to fly at half staff all over the state for a complete and utter asshole.
That is totally ridiculous.
Old 02-20-21, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
PMed from Kittydreamer via Facebook today, made me howl, can't recall the exact wording but something along the lines of wanting to be the undertaker who got to sew El Rushbo's mouth shut.
I would have hated to be the undertaker who had to shove the A/V Closure (aka "Butt Plug") up his ass....

Last edited by mickey65; 02-20-21 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Not surprising, coming from another complete and utter asshole.
Old 02-20-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 460 Posts

Turds of a feather plop together.
Old 02-20-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Rush plays the hits. https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/
  • He began airing “Barack, the Magic Negro,” a racist parody song about then-Sen. Barack Obama’s popularity with many white voters, in 2007.
  • In John K. Wilson's book, The Most Dangerous Man in America: Rush Limbaugh's Assault on Reason, the host was quoted as saying this homophobic statement: "When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation."
  • In his "Undeniable Truths," written as part of an article for the Sacramento Union in 1988, Limbaugh wrote, "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society."
    • In a later updated version, he wrote:
      • "The Earth's eco-system is not fragile."
      • "Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud."
      • "The Los Angeles riots were not caused by the Rodney King verdict. The Los Angeles riots were caused by rioters."
  • On The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2004, he said, "I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs."
  • As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a Black caller: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back,” according to Fair.
  • During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2013, he said, "If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world."
  • During The Rush Limbaugh Show in 2017, regarding LGBTQ+ politicians being elected to office, he said, "I guarantee there'd be some people in the Republican establishment who will now think, yeah, we need to do this. We need to provide a home, we need to provide a comforting atmosphere for the tranny community and the gay community. But those people are voting Democrat anyway."
  • " 'Ching cha. Ching chang cho chow. Cha Chow. Ching Cho. Chi ba ba ba. Kwo kwa kwa kee. Cha ga ga. Ching chee chay. Ching zha bo ba. Chang cha. Chang cho chi che. Cha dee. Ooooh chee bada ba. Jee jee cho ba.' Nobody was translating, but that's the closest I can get," he said on his radio show while "translating" Chinese President Hu Jintao in 2011.
  • Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” after she publicly advocated for universal contraception coverage, NPR reported in 2012.
Old 02-20-21, 08:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

good riddance to a hateful and ignorant turd of a human being.
Old 02-22-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Coming from a guy who can't figure out a simple mask
Old 02-22-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Two things have occurred to me as I’ve seen the reaction to Limbaugh’s death.

First, there’s been a lot of focus on specific offensive statements. I get the appeal of that because it’s easy, but it sells short the destruction that he caused. I listened to his show heavily after Trump emerged as the front runner in 2016 and slowly tapered off throughout Trump’s term. Yes, he occasionally said some pretty offensive shit. But much more important than that, he broadcasted from an alternate reality where white conservatives were the most oppressed group in our society. Everyone wants to feel like their successes are their own and their failures have been done to them. For three hours every day, Rush told his listeners that those feelings were right, and that liberals had fucked them. He decried a liberal ‘victim mentality’, while constantly telling millions of people that they’d been victimized by it. He defined liberals so broadly that the definition could just about be ‘people not like you.’ He offered up a constant stream of evidence, albeit biased, twisted or outright fabricated, that yes, see, look what these horrible, idiotic liberals are doing to you. To say he poisoned minds is to use that phrase about as accurately as is possible. A list of random racist, sexist, etc. comments doesn’t capture the scope of his villainy.

Second, celebrating his death seems silly. He won. He accumulated enormous wealth and power and wielded them to immoral ends to generate even more. While his audience may have shrunk a bit in his final years, he gained the ear of an incompetent, hateful buffoon of a president who took his input seriously and valued and rewarded his approval. Limbaugh was going to die from the moment he was born, as are we all. His death does nothing to erase the evil he perpetrated and isn’t some kind of moral victory. It’s just nature being nature.
Old 02-22-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 817 Likes on 550 Posts

^Wait what? I feel like 2 messages are in that post both conflicting with each other.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.