Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rush Limbaugh has died

Old 02-17-21, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Rush Limbaugh has died

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
They'd be shocked at how soft and good natured he was. He was able to stick it to the left in a good natured way. His jokes were tongue in cheek. He was actually friendly and kind.

Until Clinton won, and then he started a slow shift which ramped up into high gear after his hearing went and had his divorce from Marta. Those events really changed him and the tone of this show.

But yeah, his current listeners would be shocked. They'd think he was too soft on the left and far too moderate.

Kind of a sad statement on the current state of politics in this country.
I only had AM radio in my first car from mid-80s into the mid-90s. During my long drives, Rush always seemed to be on, and I enjoyed listening to his discussions back then. But as you mention, once Clinton got elected, the policy discussion seemed to be more negative hot takes and lot more personal attacks, so I tuned out and stopped following, but he was groundbreaking at the time for sure.
Old 02-17-21, 03:28 PM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Honestly, I think his hearing loss and then his divorce really changed him. His personality changed. It was noticeable. And his anger and frustration was taken out on the left.
I wouldn't doubt that, but I also think outrage was good for business/ratings. That's what it's all about in media anyway, right?
Old 02-17-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Anyone remember when 30 years ago he used to have a segment called AIDS update, in which he mocked people who were dying of the disease? Yeah, he was that bad.
Old 02-17-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 810 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I wouldn't doubt that, but I also think outrage was good for business/ratings. That's what it's all about in media anyway, right?

He found a niche. Conservative Radio makes tons more money than liberal radio
Old 02-17-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Everyone in hell needs to hide their oxycontin.
Old 02-17-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 690 Likes on 441 Posts

Interesting article about how the loss of the Fairness Doctrine and the rise of Rush got us to where we are today.

Limbaugh knew that. In some ways, he invented the format in which hosts talks nonstop for hours. They pick fights with listeners and stake out political positions.

That change that followed the repeal of the fairness doctrine not only gave voice to Rush Limbaugh, but Limbaugh’s success gave rise to others and provided encouragement for Fox News’ 1996 launch with Republican strategist Roger Ailes at the helm. Fox News launched with President Bill Clinton in its sights as a perfect target to relentlessly attack.

It would be incorrect to say the repeal of the fairness doctrine created Fox News, since Fox News is a cable company and cable TV content would not have fallen under FCC rules the way that over-the-air stations were. But Limbaugh’s talk radio work created an audience and appetite for what Fox News would generate.

Old 02-17-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

It is kind of nice to see people saying that Rush was entertaining pre-Clinton.

I began listening to talk radio in the early '90s (driving home late at night/early in the morning from my now-wife's house) and I recall him being of the first things that I started listening to.

I recall him getting nutty during the Clinton administration and I didn't listen much longer. Looking back, I have recently been questioning myself: "Did I enjoy and buy into this crap?" It is good to know that it is my memory that is bad and that there was a point when he was entertaining, not nutty.

On a side note ... Cape Girardeau, MO is usually where I stop for gas and food when travelling between Illinois and Mississippi. I often travel down the road named for him and wonder how long that name would remain. If they haven't changed it by now, I doubt they will.
Old 02-17-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They'd be shocked at how soft and good natured he was. He was able to stick it to the left in a good natured way. His jokes were tongue in cheek. He was actually friendly and kind.

Until Clinton won, and then he started a slow shift which ramped up into high gear after his hearing went and had his divorce from Marta. Those events really changed him and the tone of this show.

But yeah, his current listeners would be shocked. They'd think he was too soft on the left and far too moderate.

Kind of a sad statement on the current state of politics in this country.
I think you're misremembering the timeline. Limbaugh didn't become syndicated until 1988, and rose to prominence in 1991 by ridiculing peace activists as the Gulf War was ramping up. Clinton was, of course, elected in 1992 -- nearly 30 years ago, and just 4 years into Limbaugh being a national personality. His hearing problems started in 2001 and his divorce from Marta wasn't until 2004; by then, he had spent well over a decade spewing hatred toward Democrats in general and Clinton in particular. There was never a "soft" side to Limbaugh toward liberals or the left, at least not that he shared with his audience. His on-air persona was always full of hate toward those on the left.
Old 02-17-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Anyone remember when 30 years ago he used to have a segment called AIDS update, in which he mocked people who were dying of the disease? Yeah, he was that bad.
Old 02-17-21, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

What was the Rush? Huge weight lifted from the world.
Old 02-17-21, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 500 Likes on 308 Posts

It's days like this that I wish there really was a hell.
Old 02-17-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 02-17-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 458 Posts

Today, the world mourns the loss of a great humanitarian of towering rectitude and incomparable decency... Oops, my keyboard was stuck on Antipode setting.

It is instructive to note that cancers sometimes kill other cancers.
Old 02-17-21, 05:52 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Rest in piss!
Old 02-17-21, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think you're misremembering the timeline. Limbaugh didn't become syndicated until 1988, and rose to prominence in 1991 by ridiculing peace activists as the Gulf War was ramping up. Clinton was, of course, elected in 1992 -- nearly 30 years ago, and just 4 years into Limbaugh being a national personality. His hearing problems started in 2001 and his divorce from Marta wasn't until 2004; by then, he had spent well over a decade spewing hatred toward Democrats in general and Clinton in particular. There was never a "soft" side to Limbaugh toward liberals or the left, at least not that he shared with his audience. His on-air persona was always full of hate toward those on the left.
I did misremember when he had his hearing go bad on him, and I remembered the divorce being around the same time.

But, as I noted, he really changed noticeably after Clinton got elected. Prior to that he was much friendlier, a genial, good natured host.

OF COURSE ha made fun of the left - just like people on the left make fun of people on the right. But it wasn't from a place of hate or bitterness the way it would be later.

And, yeah, I started listening to him in '88, right after his show was first syndicated. The thing I remember most about those days is he would put liberals at the front of the line and give them more time than anyone else. He loved having a good debate with them. He wasn't mean spirited or insulting during those debates, either. He genuinely wanted to win them over to his side.

His humor during that early time was excellent, too.
Old 02-17-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

He did not have kind words for Cobain when he died.

I wonder if the Steelers will mention his passing with a quote since he was a fan

I don't think there will be anybody that could probably match his success or influence on AM Radio since that might be a dying format.

Maybe Imus but he is dead too.
Old 02-17-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

On a related topic - I took a massive shit today.
Old 02-17-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,515 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
On a related topic - I took a massive shit today.
Reincarnation is real!
Old 02-17-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I seldom listened to him when he first hit the air. But I will not speak ill of him , even though I was not a fan

RIP

Last edited by JoeySeven; 02-17-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Jerry was actually in rehab when he died.
Old 02-17-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I still don't know what ESPN was thinking when they added him to the MNF crew. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. Looking on You Tube I can't find a single clip of those few games he did.

Some idiots thought he was right when he criticized McNabb and his argument made no sense.

I saw on the news in 2007 he thought watching a NFL game was like the bloods vs the Crips with no weapons.
Old 02-17-21, 07:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
The architect of so much of America’s ignorance and hate. Other than Trump, and probably Murdoch, there’s no one person more responsible for the coarsening of debate these last 30 years.
Alex Jones?
Old 02-17-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Alex Jones?
Rush was way, way more popular than Alex Jones, who was always considered a fringe nut job. Back in the day, Rush was considered a right-wing Howard Stern and the comparison was fair. They were probably two of the very best daily radio talk show hosts ever, and both said terrible regrettable things for shock value. But only Rush was truly an awful person.
Old 02-17-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Rush was way, way more popular than Alex Jones, who was always considered a fringe nut job. Back in the day, Rush was considered a right-wing Howard Stern and the comparison was fair. They were probably two of the very best daily radio talk show hosts ever, and both said terrible regrettable things for shock value. But only Rush was truly an awful person.

I remember the Time magazine cover:

Old 02-17-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,515 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post

Jerry was actually in rehab when he died.
Ironically, we could refer to Limbaugh as “just another dead doper and a dirt bag” and we’d be pretty accurate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.