Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Militia flags displayed in public

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-20-21, 12:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

A lot happened during my loooong suspension, but of all the things that occurred this was the one that made me wish I could confer with you folks. Get your opinions and give some updates as things unfolded. At this point the story has 90% played out, but I’d still like to share this and get some feedback.

My daughters are in 4th and 7th grade. They both go to a public elementary school (well the 7th grader moved on, but she went through the school). The “health aid” aka school nurse is a nice lady who I’ve known since my oldest started kindergarten. She’s in her 50’s I’d estimate. We are familiar with each other and always say hello. I grew to really like this woman because she is a bit eccentric. She drives a lifted Jeep that is tricked out with winch and lights and racks and all the off-road stuff. She’s got stickers for all the trails it’s been run on. It’s got a CB antenna. Oh and it’s bright green. It really stands out.

A 50 year old school nurse with this big beast is pretty unusual. I would also occasionally catch her out by her car smoking. A school nurse who sits on the curb and smokes during her break and drives a 4x4 is definitely the kind of unique individual who makes me smile. A walking contradiction. For a couple years I suspected it was her husband’s car. One day I asked her about it and she said no, it’s all hers, but that her husband has a similar Jeep and they love to go on excursions together. I do a little off-roading myself, so suffice it to say I thought this woman was a hoot.
Old 01-20-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Militia flags displayed in public

Where's the flags?! Clickbait!!
Old 01-20-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

This story does not deliver.
Old 01-20-21, 12:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 253 Posts

guys, be nice. He's been away for months. He's probably still editing the post to include the actual information we care about.
Old 01-20-21, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 143 Likes on 104 Posts

Old 01-20-21, 12:28 PM
Banned

I’m home schooling my kid at the moment. Social studies. How appropriate. California History.

Anyway, at some point the nurse began flying a trump flag from her CB antenna. I looked past it. There are a lot of trump flags in my neighborhood and in my town. It bugged me, but what am I gonna do? The world was crazy for trump.

More to come.
Old 01-20-21, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-20-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

Who knew that Mabuse is actually Luis from Ant-Man.

Thatís a lot of writing to say ďThe school nurse has a Trump flag on her carĒ.
Old 01-20-21, 12:31 PM
Admin

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Where's the beef?

Old 01-20-21, 12:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm not leaving until we hear about the militia flags. Come on, man! No more malarky!
Old 01-20-21, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Who knew that Mabuse is actually Luis from Ant-Man.

Thatís a lot of writing to say ďThe school nurse has a Trump flag on her carĒ.
I wouldnít waste your time for just a trump flag.

Chapter 2

So the day after the election the Trump flag disappeared and it was replaced by a Three Percenter flag.
Old 01-20-21, 12:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So the day after the election the Trump flag disappeared and it was replaced by a Three Percenter flag.
Report them to the feds and let them look into it.
To be clear, I don't think people just fly that flag to "show support."
It's a militia flag flown by militia members. Report them. Done.
Old 01-20-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Getting Carly Simon Heinz Ketchup vibes here ...
Old 01-20-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't know anything about this group. What does the 3% refer to?
Old 01-20-21, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Report them to the feds and let them look into it.
To be clear, I don't think people just fly that flag to "show support."
It's a militia flag flown by militia members. Report them. Done.

I told yíall it got good.

So I got some good photos of the car, flag, school building, and sign with name of school on it. Nice evidence. But Iíve got to say I didnít act as lightning quick as Dan.

I waited a few days and when I continued to see it I emailed the principal who I know well. Sometimes people donít know what these symbols mean, the three Percenter flag looks a lot like a regular American flag. So I explained in the email that itís a militia flag and I shared my photos.
Old 01-20-21, 12:56 PM
Banned

The email:
I’ve been stewing for days trying to think of how to deal with this, and I haven’t thought of anything better than to simply report it to you.

Nurse (BLANK)’s car is displaying the flag of a well known anti-government militia group known as the Three Percenters. This does not look good for the school or the community. I understand that there are freedom of speech issues, but I imagine something can be done. Seeing that in the midst of a pandemic the health and well being of the neighborhood students is being handled by someone with so little discretion, and quite possibly some dangerous beliefs, is scary.
I got a reply that acknowledged I was not the first to complain about this and that she had personally communicated to all staff that expressions like this are not acceptable, but reading between the lines I got the vibe that she had done everything she can and that freedom of speech was at play and that the better angle to take in order to get it off her car was to make the argument that it made for an unsafe school environment. The unsafe school environment argument trumps your freedom of speech. But also got the vibe the principal wasn’t going to do shit.

I don’t blame the principal. This has been extraordinarily difficult times for teachers and schools. Protests to reopen. Protests to shut down. Schools opening only to close days later. Our district went through three different ratified reopening plans. Right now K-6 gets some in person instruction every day while the older kids are 100% zoom. She’s got her hands full of so much shit. You can see in my email to her that I honestly felt really bad having to shovel this one more thing upon her.

Frankly I’m a little disappointed in myself, I procrastinated and took little action and just hoped it would go away.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-20-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 01:07 PM
Banned

I also considered simply stealing the flag. But I worried that might escalate her. Maybe make her get another, bigger flag, or cause her to have persecution fantasies that might make her nuttier.
Old 01-20-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 163 Posts

Okay for you to communicate your concerns to the school principal, now report that woman to the FBI.
Old 01-20-21, 01:09 PM
Admin

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Don't touch the flag. It's her property. You would be escalating the situation.
Old 01-20-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh . . . and the school nurse sits outside and smokes where the children can see her? WTF? Report that to the principal.
Old 01-20-21, 01:17 PM
Banned

So I just kind of waited for a long time, and of course the schools were closed for Christmas. I just kept hoping she would take it down.

I thought about calling fbi, local news, local bloggers, but while I wanted the flag down I didn’t want to attract too much attention to the school or neighborhood. I don’t want this on the news. I don’t want to do a anything that jeopardizes the school being open for hybrid in person class. The school is already on a tightrope.

So I just kept kicking the can. Until January 6th.

That day I told myself that if the flag isn’t gone I’m going to go further.

Well the next morning it was still there.

I texted the parent who is the president of the school foundation board. I am on the board myself. We gather hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations every year. I ask her if she’s seen the flag. She said she had not.

Recess time.
Old 01-20-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Old 01-20-21, 01:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So I just kind of waited for a long time, and of course the schools were closed for Christmas. I just kept hoping she would take it down.

I thought about calling fbi, local news, local bloggers, but while I wanted the flag down I didnít want to attract too much attention to the school or neighborhood. I donít want this on the news. I donít want to do a anything that jeopardizes the school being open for hybrid in person class. The school is already on a tightrope.
This is/was smart on your part. I have a feeling based on the rest of this post:
I texted the parent who is the president of the school foundation board. I am on the board myself. We gather hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations every year. I ask her if sheís seen the flag. She said she had not.

Recess time.
that it's going to take quite a turn, though. My prediction is that parent went all-out on some kind of public shaming crusade, which draws the attention you don't want.

Why do I feel like this ends with you as the new president of the school foundation board somehow?
Old 01-20-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

For those curious - as I was - this is the Three Percenter flag:

Although I'm sure Mabuse would've gotten around to showing one in the 29th installment of this thread.
Old 01-20-21, 01:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I don't know anything about this group. What does the 3% refer to?
An Anti-government militia, the name refers to an erroneous claim that only three percent of American colonists took up arms against GB during the revolution.
They were founded in 2008 after Obama's election, of course.

And they're in Canada, too, for some damn reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.