Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Official Former President Trump Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Official Former President Trump Thread

Old 09-14-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts
Re: The Official Former President Trump Thread

And didn't Pence go on a tirade about Joe Biden this past weekend, but make the crucial mistake of calling Biden "the elected president of the United States"?
Old 09-14-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I think this is the first time in my life I’ve had respect for Dan Quayle.
Who’d have thunk, January 6th was the day this country was saved by…Dan Fucking Quayle.
Old 09-14-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Who’d have thunk, January 6th was the day this country was saved by…Dan Fucking Quayle.
Definitely weird. It kind of worries me that he had an answer at the ready, though. Makes me think it could have been discussed back then.
Old 09-14-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And did he even break away? Or was it just that he knew he couldn't legally do what Trump wanted?
What's the difference?
Old 09-14-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Saved? No. But definitely delayed the collapse.
Old 09-14-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“saved” may have been premature but, still, Dan Quayle!
Old 09-14-21, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Definitely weird. It kind of worries me that he had an answer at the ready, though. Makes me think it could have been discussed back then.
There was a lot of wishful thinking from the right during the weeks leading up to January 6. Quayle would have needed to be completely oblivious not to have thought about it in 2020, but I'd be shocked if he was thinking about it in 1992.
Old 09-14-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Fat Nixon is the last person to accuse anyone of treason. And does he even know what the word means!?

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-se...221700296.html
Old 09-15-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Fat Nixon is the last person to accuse anyone of treason. And does he even know what the word means!?

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-se...221700296.html
Setting aside the whole, "everything spoken that I don't like is fake news and everything done that I don't like is treason", I find this story problematic if true. This isn't the first time that it was alleged that one of the "adults in the room" took action to contain a potential disaster of Trump's making. This is not how our government was designed to work.

Every time one of the generals in Trump's administration were called to do something... their lack of action was justified in that they were just following orders... that military men understand the importance of rank and order. And then stuff like this leaks out.
Old 09-15-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Setting aside the whole, "everything spoken that I don't like is fake news and everything done that I don't like is treason", I find this story problematic if true. This isn't the first time that it was alleged that one of the "adults in the room" took action to contain a potential disaster of Trump's making. This is not how our government was designed to work.

Every time one of the generals in Trump's administration were called to do something... their lack of action was justified in that they were just following orders... that military men understand the importance of rank and order. And then stuff like this leaks out.
Yep. The only reason that a large number of people don't find it worrying is that they agreed that Trump was deranged and a danger to the U.S. and the world. If we had found out that people were trying to thwart Obama, there would have been outrage.

That said, it never fails to amuse how stupid Trump assumes his most ardent supporters are. Earlier, he called the story that Milley made moves to prevent him from initiating a nuclear launch "made up" AND called for Milley to be arrested for treason. For something that was made-up?
Old 09-15-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

No, it’s not how our government was designed to work. However, it was designed on agreed-upon norms, rule of law, and checks and balances. And qualified officials. None of which we had.

I get no comfort or satisfaction out of the story either. I don’t like the idea of Milley feeling the need to do that. I just hope we’ve moved to a better place and don’t go back there.
Old 09-15-21, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Its a bit disappointing Biden has not moved to codify some of the norms that trump ran roughshod over, granted between Covid, his infrastructure push and Afghanistan he has had his hands full, but I really wish lawmakers or Biden would slam the door on some of the shit trump pulled.
Old 09-16-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 202 Likes on 140 Posts

Fucking LOL!
He's so terrible at everything...

Maybe promoting a PPV event on the anniversary of a national tragedy was a bad idea...
Old 09-16-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But did he reveal the secrets of Area 51?
Old 09-16-21, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 273 Posts

But did he reveal the secrets of Area 51?
They will be revealed along with his taxes.
Old 09-16-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
They will be revealed along with his taxes.
And the long awaited healthcare plan.
Old 09-16-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Fucking LOL!
He's so terrible at everything...
If he chilled out on the ego (and the attempted overthrow of democracy) he wouldn't seem so sad and pathetic. But I thought that was going to happen by February 2016 (the "now that you're president..." precedence). He'll never change till he is gone.
Old 09-16-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

He probably got paid up front so he doesn’t care. He’ll just say he got the most PPVs ever, better than Tyson and much better than Obama or Biden, then take his money and go home.
Old 09-16-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 202 Likes on 140 Posts

A lot of this is due to his de-platforming.
Not being able to promote things himself directly must be killing him!
Old 09-17-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
A lot of this is due to his de-platforming.
Not being able to promote things himself directly must be killing him!
We can certainly hope it's killing him before he destroys us all.
Old 09-17-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

JFC. He's STILL trying to get states to overturn the 2020 election, and seriously thinks it can happen. We look at the idiots like the MyPillow guy and the goofballs at the rallies who think Trump will be returned to office any day now, and wonder why they're so stupid. Well, it's because they're all followers of the head idiot. I hate to say this, but something really bad is gonna happen as a result if this refusal to accept reality continues, and the GOP leadership will all be "we never imagined anything like this would happen". It's not funny anymore, Republicans, and hasn't been for a while. You gotta put a stop to this guy, and soon. Your goal is not blocking the goals of the Biden administration, or even regaining the House and/or Senate; it's disassociating yourselves with such a clear threat to the future of the country, and history will not look kindly on you if you don't.
Old 09-17-21, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 296 Posts

I’m sure it’s just to keep the grift going until he announces his candidacy for 2024.
Old 09-17-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

That bad thing has already happened, only it wasn't a big explosion-type thing as one would expect. We will never have another trusted election in this country. At least not in our lifetimes. Ship has sailed. Corruption and stupidity won.