Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Nashville Explosion

Old 12-25-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Nashville Explosion

I can't copy and past for some reason but it's all over the news

Last edited by Bacon; 12-25-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-25-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 555 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Nashville Explosion

(CNN)Officials believe that a Christmas morning explosion in downtown Nashville was an intentional act, according to a Metro Nashville Police spokesman.

In a brief news conference Friday morning, spokesman Don Aaron said the department's hazardous devices unit was headed downtown in response to a call about a suspicious vehicle when there was a "significant" explosion linked to that vehicle around 6:30 a.m. CT.
"We do believe that the explosion was an intentional act," Aaron said.
Three people have been transported to hospitals form the scene, but none are in critical condition, according to Nashville Fire spokesman Joseph Pleasant.
The scene of an explosion in downtown Nashville on Christmas morning.
The incident is under investigation by multiple agencies, both local and federal, including the FBI and the ATF, Aaron said. Police and Tennessee Highway Patrol are conducting a shutdown of the area for the investigation. Access from the interstate through the immediate area will be restricted, he said.
Eyewitness Buck McCoy told CNN the explosion took place right in front of his home, causing his windows to be blown in.
"Everything on the street was fire," he said. "There were three cars that were fully engulfed."
Emergency personnel work at the scene of the explosion.
Police previously tweeted the explosion took place outside 166 2nd Avenue N. downtown.
Earlier, Nashville Mayor John Cooper told CNN he was "aware of an explosion" and was on the way to the scene.
"I do know emergency services are calling in our help, all our specialties, to investigate the cause of the explosion and I'm sure more information will be posted soon," Cooper said.
The mayor added the explosion happened on 2nd Avenue on the edge of the Tennessee city's hospitality and tourist district in an old, historic part of town.

Footage from CNN affiliate WTVF showed smoke rising from a fire on the street, with debris littering the area.McCoy told CNN that when he looked outside trees had fallen and broken glass was everywhere. He saw people filing out of their apartments with their animals. Firefighters told him to get as far away from the area as possible, he said.
"There's just nothing left on Second Avenue," he said.
Old 12-25-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 555 Likes on 370 Posts

Here is someone's video. That's a pretty good bomb.

Old 12-25-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 580 Likes on 382 Posts

Wooow.
Old 12-25-20, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Merry Fuckin' Christmas.

Good grief. What kind of an a-hole sets off a bomb on Christmas? I know it's obviously someone trying to send a message at a time when it will get more exposure and all, but, come on. I hope they find whoever did this and he/she gets put away for life.
Old 12-25-20, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Take it for what it's worth, but I just read that police were dispatched to the area around 6 am with a report of shots being fired.
When they got there they didn't find an active shooter situation, but did notice a suspicious vehicle (RV). While they were waiting for hazmat crews to arrive it went off.

Also it's supposedly three block away from the state capital (building).
Old 12-25-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Merry Fuckin' Christmas.

Good grief. What kind of an a-hole sets off a bomb on Christmas? I know it's obviously someone trying to send a message at a time when it will get more exposure and all, but, come on. I hope they find whoever did this and he/she gets put away for life.
the same kind of a-hole who sets off bombs the rest of the year
Old 12-25-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a little hard to hear, but you get the idea.

Supposedly the MAGAs are jumping up and down all over parler with visions of martial law dancing in their heads.
Old 12-25-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was posted on facebook- the broadcast warning would appear to jibe with the video above

Old 12-25-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 353 Posts

Looks to be a largely commercial/entertainment venue area by Google maps.

If that post is accurate (no reason to think it isnít), that is one hell of a slow police response.
Old 12-25-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 885 Likes on 644 Posts

It's bizarre reading through right-wing social media, where they're trying to figure out if this was an act of terrorism by BLM/ANTIFA/Muslims, a false flag operation, or the start of the that civil war they've been hoping for.
Old 12-25-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It's bizarre reading through right-wing social media, where they're trying to figure out if this was an act of terrorism by BLM/ANTIFA/Muslims, a false flag operation, or the start of the that civil war they've been hoping for.
As a refresher-
FBI director Christopher Wray singled out white supremacists during a Sept. 17 House Homeland Security committee hearing.

Wray’s testimony about white supremacists

During the hearing, Wray testified broadly about the FBI’s investigation of terrorism threats and security issues and answered questions about antifa, Black Lives Matter and white supremacists.

U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., a former CIA analyst, asked Wray to discuss the number of investigations into white supremacist groups versus groups on the left.

Wray replied that the FBI has roughly 1,000 domestic terrorism investigations a year, though it is a "good bit north of a thousand this year."

"Everything from racially-motivated violent extremists to violent anarchist extremists, militia types, sovereign citizens, you name it. Of the domestic terrorism threats, we last year elevated racially-motivated violent extremism to be a national threat priority commensurate with a homegrown violent extremists," Wray testified. "That’s the jihadist-inspired people here and with ISIS."
Old 12-25-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I work at NewsChannel 5 in Nashville. I drove by that area on my way home last night. It's crazy that it now looks like a warzone. We're doing wall to wall cover here: https://www.newschannel5.com/live We have the only live news helicopter in the area.
Old 12-25-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Well Trump has been briefed. Soooo
Old 12-25-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Iwhy!

Stay safe ... although this appears to be a one-off. The concern there is that it is just a trial run.
Old 12-25-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/stat...17593425510401

a little hard to hear, but you get the idea.

Supposedly the MAGAs are jumping up and down all over parler with visions of martial law dancing in their heads.
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
This was posted on facebook- the broadcast warning would appear to jibe with the video above

So they are saying the van itself was doing the broadcast? And then the van itself did the countdown?

That is a bit spooky (not saying any bombing isnít spooky, just that adds another layer).

When I heard/watched the YouTube video, I thought it was some sort of government or civic warning. Like a tornado siren. I was thinking the cops got a tip or something and started the warning.

But it was the van itself? Dang...thatís like an episode of Criminal Minds,
Old 12-25-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

You mean ďFox News has picked up the story.Ē
Old 12-25-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's like something out of a movie. It's insane that they broadcast a warning before detonation.
Old 12-25-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a huge AT&T data hub there. There are lots of AT&T outages in Tennessee now due to explosion.
Old 12-25-20, 01:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 582 Likes on 418 Posts

Guessing it's some crazed 5G-fearing tinfoil hat person based on the location and limited details so far. I wouldn't attribute this to any kind of "legitimate" political org until/unless more concrete info is available.
Old 12-25-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's irresponsible to speculate who's to blame for this. Let the investigators do their job. The only thing we can be sure of at this stage is that this is the work of people on the opposite side of the political spectrum from me.
Old 12-25-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts

I saw another post that said the fireball went as high as the “Batman building” aka this AT&T building:
Old 12-25-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Batman building is the tallest building in Tennessee. Also, it's knocked out the 911 lines for multiple areas surrounding Nashville.
Old 12-25-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 985 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Damn, heís not going to be able to concentrate fully on his golf game now. Donít get me wrong, heíll play through but heíll have to cheat extra hard to win.
Old 12-25-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Damn, heís not going to be able to concentrate fully on his golf game now. Donít get me wrong, heíll play through but heíll have to cheat extra hard to win.
You may be overestimating his capacity for empathy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.