Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Nashville Explosion

Old 12-28-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Nashville Explosion

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
When the media glorifies bombers and mass shooters, there tends to be copy cats for years to come. Dozens of shootings were inspired by Columbine
Well I agree copy cat is a thing. But a bigger “thing” is inaction.

Im also not sure that I’ve seen a lot of “glorifying” of these people. Reporting, yes.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-28-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also wanted to mention on the discussion if this was a “terrorist” action. There may have been no deaths and minor injuries, but livelihoods have been destroyed. Do all these businesses have the capability to pay all their employees while not working? Some of these buildings need significant repairs and or rebuild. Will there be enough insurance? Or businesses have enough money? Will every business be able to reopen?

9/11 was done to cause horrific loss of life. But the target was purposeful. To effect the economy.

Maybe the Nashville bomber knew he wouldn’t effect the economy of the country, but it is possible he knew the economic hardship it would cause many. And if he didn’t think about that, then I’d argue he didn’t really think of the pain he was causing despite the day and time he picked.
Old 12-28-20, 06:09 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Sort of reminds me of Eddie Money...
Blow Me Up Tonight
Old 12-28-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Blow Me Up Tonight
i shouldn't but
Old 12-28-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Also wanted to mention on the discussion if this was a “terrorist” action. There may have been no deaths and minor injuries, but livelihoods have been destroyed. Do all these businesses have the capability to pay all their employees while not working? Some of these buildings need significant repairs and or rebuild. Will there be enough insurance? Or businesses have enough money? Will every business be able to reopen?

9/11 was done to cause horrific loss of life. But the target was purposeful. To effect the economy.

Maybe the Nashville bomber knew he wouldn’t effect the economy of the country, but it is possible he knew the economic hardship it would cause many. And if he didn’t think about that, then I’d argue he didn’t really think of the pain he was causing despite the day and time he picked.
I would argue that if his intention was maximum damage or disruption, he did a shitty job of picking targets. Yes, there was a AT&T building nearby, but other than that it was restaurants, entertainment venues, and apartments. He could have done a much better job if that was his intent. I think you are giving too much credit. However, again, being bad at your job ...

NOTE: I am not trying to minimize the damage he did or people he impacted.
Old 12-28-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yeah, yelling "Allahu Akbar" before committing the attack tends to make it lean towards terrorism unfortunately.
You think it’s what they say over the color of their skin or how their name sounds that makes it “lean” toward terrorism when discussed in this country?

There’s no way you actually believe that.
Old 12-29-20, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless this has political or ideological motivations, it is not a terrorist act. A terrorist act specifically targets civilians, not property. That is why stuff like the 2019 El Paso shooting, Charleston church shooting, and Ft Hood were acts of terrorism but something like columbine wasn't. The act of creating terror isn't terrorism otherwise every act of violence would be labelled terrorism.

And yes, labelling something as terrorism correctly is important because understanding the ideology behind the acts can help identify future indicators. That is why it is such a big deal when we don't label white perpetrated domestic terrorist acts as terrorism because we ignore a large part of current terrorist acts.

With all that said, I don't think there is enough info yet on this particular case to label it either way.

Last edited by beavis69; 12-29-20 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I would argue that if his intention was maximum damage or disruption, he did a shitty job of picking targets. Yes, there was a AT&T building nearby, but other than that it was restaurants, entertainment venues, and apartments. He could have done a much better job if that was his intent. I think you are giving too much credit. However, again, being bad at your job ...

NOTE: I am not trying to minimize the damage he did or people he impacted.
I didn’t say he was trying to “maximize” anything.

Just that the definition of “harm” goes beyond hurting and killing. He did a shitty job if his intent was to do no harm. Lots of people are out of work and lost their livelihood.

IMO he clearly meant to do harm. Maybe that was to ATT and others “to bad”. But he meant to harm.

I don’t give people doing evil credit for anything. But it’s pretty obvious his plan was well thought out.
Old 12-29-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 467 Posts

The terms "terror" and "terrorism" have been loosely thrown around whether applicable or not for a couple of decades now, why bother arguing the semantics at this point? No one is ever going to agree on what's "terrorism" or not these days.
Old 12-29-20, 10:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Terrorist or not, the real question is- did Wonder Woman rape him?
Old 12-29-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
The terms "terror" and "terrorism" have been loosely thrown around whether applicable or not for a couple of decades now, why bother arguing the semantics at this point? No one is ever going to agree on what's "terrorism" or not these days.
Well it's far more complex than "if something blows up it's terrorism". Which, paradoxically, is at the same time too reductive and too broad, i.e. terrorism can occur without shit blowing up, and shit blowing up isn't necessarily "terrorism".
Old 12-29-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 511 Posts

I too think of terrorism as violence that is politically or ideologically motivated.

A white supremacist blowing up a church that's holding a BLM meeting is a terrorist. He's trying to make a political gain by suppressing BLM supporters.
A gangster blowing up a restaurant that didn't pay for protection is not a terrorist. He's trying to make money by frightening other businesses into paying protection. Politics don't enter into it.
Old 12-29-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Blow Me Up Tonight
That reminds me, I need to inflate the Eddie Money sex doll I got for Christmas so I can... use the carpool lane.
Old 12-29-20, 03:28 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
That reminds me, I need to inflate the Eddie Money sex doll I got for Christmas so I can... use the carpool lane.
Just like Ronni said
Old 12-29-20, 04:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

So this is a closed case . Nothing to see
Old 12-29-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh?
Old 12-29-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Inflate ... blow up?
Old 12-29-20, 06:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Huh?
there barely seems some to be any discussion about it.
Old 12-29-20, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

About what?
Old 12-29-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Sad guy blew himself up. No known motive or narrative yet. We can't assume it's political. Nobody died. He warned people to evacuate. Ummmm. Not sure what else there is to say.

I wonder if he knew the blast would be so big. Like he might have thought it would be like a little car bomb.

Next person who wants to do this ... just OD on pills, you asshole. You shit yourself and maybe decompose and a cleaning crew cleans you up.
Old 12-29-20, 08:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...19/4082253001/

wtf. They visited his house. His gf said he’s making bombs 18 months ago. Why wasn’t he on a watch list.
Old 12-29-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Well he is white...
Old 12-29-20, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy View Post
Terrorist or not, the real question is- did Wonder Woman rape him?
Old 12-30-20, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 398 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Sad guy blew himself up. No known motive or narrative yet. We can't assume it's political. Nobody died. He warned people to evacuate. Ummmm. Not sure what else there is to say.

I wonder if he knew the blast would be so big. Like he might have thought it would be like a little car bomb.

Next person who wants to do this ... just OD on pills, you asshole. You shit yourself and maybe decompose and a cleaning crew cleans you up.
If reports are correct, he previously held an "explosive user permits handler license." I would hope that means he had knowledge of what he was working with.
Old 12-30-20, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...19/4082253001/

wtf. They visited his house. His gf said he’s making bombs 18 months ago. Why wasn’t he on a watch list.
That may be a real story, but the way it is written, it reads like one of my gag stories. Listing his height and weight? Her attorney is Raymond Throckmorton III?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.