Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Nashville Explosion

Old 12-27-20, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Nashville Explosion

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I read somewhere that he wasn't even registered to vote!
Old 12-27-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The picture of him in the MAGA hat has not been verified by any reputable news source; I haven’t seen any reputable reportage about his political views.
You may be surprised to learn that HispanicNewsNetwork may have relaxed their journalistic standards on this one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nashvil...-fbi-confirms/
Old 12-27-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why I only get my news from RussianFacebookFacts/freedom.eagle
Old 12-27-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

GIS for that picture turned up this story about Warner. If he's a computer professional, he may well have been targeting the AT&T building.

Right now, it sounds like suicide.

Anthony Quinn Warner, self-employed computer guru ID'd as lone Nashville bomber, killed in blast

Natalie Allison
Nashville Tennessean

Federal authorities say a 63-year-old Antioch man was responsible for a Christmas morning bombing that left the suspect dead and captured the nation’s attention over the holiday weekend as officials worked to determine who parked an RV downtown to detonate.

What motivated him is still unknown.

Hundreds of federal, state and local law enforcement officers worked to solve the case, and just 60 hours after the explosion, agents Sunday evening named Anthony Quinn Warner as the bomber. He died in the blast.

“He was present when the bomb went off and he perished in the bombing,” said Don Cochran, U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee.

Through DNA evidence, authorities confirmed Warner’s remains were found at the scene, Cochran said.

“I cannot truly describe all the hard work that has gone into this investigation since Friday’s explosion," Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake said during Sunday’s announcement. "Nashville is considered safe."

Police earlier in the day released chilling details about the moments before the bomb detonated on Second Street about 6:30 a.m. on Friday, adding to an eerie portrait of a man in an RV who blared evacuation warnings before the explosion demolished a city block.
Nashville police released an image of an RV that investigators linked to an explosion that took place downtown on Christmas morning.

While acquaintances on Sunday described Tony Warner as a self-employed computer guru — and a homebody who tended to his pets and kept to himself — police officers on the scene before the bomb exploded recalled a strange recording emanating from the RV.

In between a digitized female voice giving warnings to evacuate the area, there was music, the officers said.

"Downtown," a wistful 1964 song by Petula Clark, echoed down Second Avenue just before the blast.

“When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go downtown,” blared Clark’s voice through the speakers. “When you've got worries, all the noise and the hurry seems to help, I know.”

Despite massive destruction to 41 buildings, no one else was killed in the explosion. Officers helped evacuate nearby residents from several apartments.

The RV was parked outside of an AT&T facility, though authorities have not said whether they believe the telecommunications company may have been a target.

The blast caused extensive damage to phone and internet coverage throughout the region, causing communication blackouts for 911 centers in surrounding counties, leaving customers throughout the state without service and exposing vulnerabilities in infrastructure.

Gov. Bill Lee on Saturday requested federal aid in effort to help businesses affected by the explosion. An evening curfew remained in place until Sunday, though access into downtown is still restricted.

Authorities are expected to continue their investigation downtown in the coming days. The type of explosives used in the blast remain unknown. Warner wasn’t on the radar of law enforcement before Friday’s explosion, they said, and officials have declined to deem the bombing an act of terrorism.

Doug Korneski, an FBI Special Agent in Charge, said Sunday investigators had “reviewed hours of security video surrounding the recreational vehicle” and determined no other suspects were involved in the bombing.

Tips from the public helped authorities initially identify Warner as a suspect. The Tennessee Highway Patrol discovered a vehicle part from the RV with a Vehicle Identification Number linking it to Warner.

Korenski requested people who knew Warner to contact police and share information while authorities investigate "any and all motives."

“None of those answers will ever be enough for those who have been affected by this event,” Korenski said.
Who was Tony Warner?

Warner grew up in Antioch and attended Antioch High School, graduating in the mid-1970s before settling down in the same community and working various IT jobs.

But in just the past month, Warner appeared to put his affairs in order. He transferred ownership of the home where he had lived for decades. He informed a regular business client he would no longer be working.

Property records show on the day before Thanksgiving, Warner transferred the title of his longtime Bakertown Road home to a Los Angeles woman. The transaction, a quitclaim deed that did not require the woman’s signature, was made for $0.

Steve Fridrich, who owns Fridrich & Clark Realty, said Warner was hired four or five years ago as a contractor to provide IT services for the business. Warner repaired the company’s computers and set up machines for new employees.

“In December he sent us an email saying he’d no longer be working for us,” Fridrich said.

Warner didn’t give a reason.

The company reached out to the FBI after learning through news coverage that Warner was a person of interest in the case. Agents visited the office Saturday evening, FBI spokesman Jason Pack confirmed.
Anthony Quinn Warner, who went to Antioch High School in 1974, was a person of interest in a Nashville investigation.

Warner hadn’t had a run-in with authorities since 1978, when as a young adult he was charged with felony drug possession. He served two years of probation.

Yearbooks from Antioch High School show Warner, a short teenager with glasses, played on the school’s golf team.

Charlie Bozman, a longtime Metro high school coach, was in charge of Antioch’s golf coach in 1974 when Warner played.

“What I can remember about him was essentially three things: quiet, polite, and I don’t like to use the term, but quite frankly nerdish,” recalled Bozman. “He was a very reserved person. He wasn’t outgoing around me.

“I never had any discipline problems with him whatsoever, but that whole group was all great kids.”

Today, Warner does not have a public presence on social media or other websites.
Neighbors say Warner had no obvious political ideology

Neighbors who have lived by Warner for decades say he rarely left home, instead spending much of his time working in his yard. He kept to himself, but would speak to his neighbors, engaging in small talk before going on his way.

Steve Schmoldt and his wife have lived next door to Warner for 25 years. He described Warner as “low-key” and friendly, though “some people would say he’s a little odd.”

“You never saw anyone come and go,” Schmoldt said of Warner’s home. “Never saw him go anywhere. As far as we knew, he was kind of a computer geek that worked at home.”

Warner had placed lights and security cameras outside his house.

He would do a lot of work in his yard, where a tall antenna is prominent on the side of the house, Schmoldt said. Warner built the fence around his yard himself.

The neighbors never talked about politics or religion. Warner never gave any indication of any closely held ideology.

“I can tell you as far as politics, he never had any yard signs or flags in his window or anything like that. If he did have any political beliefs he kept, that was something he kept to himself.

Schmoldt said while the RV had been parked outside the home for years, a couple weeks ago, Warner built a gate in the fence and drove the RV into his yard.

Daniel Douglas, who lived across the street from Warner for 26 years, said Warner told him he moved the RV because people were trying to break into it.

Warner received packages frequently, his neighbor said, and in the past year installed a mailbox. Previously, Warner used a post office box to receive his mail but then began receiving packages at home, Douglas said.

As news unfolded Friday morning, it wasn’t immediately obvious that Warner and his RV were nowhere to be found.

“To be honest, we didn’t really pay any attention it was gone until the FBI and ATF showed up,” Schmoldt said.

He and his wife watched the news Christmas morning as information began to unfold about the Second Avenue bombing. They saw the photos police released of the RV in question. That night, they noticed some cars driving up and down their street.

Then on Saturday they saw a large group of law enforcement outside Warner’s home.

“Holy cow, there’s a SWAT team out there,” Schmoldt recalled his wife saying as she looked out the front door mid-morning.

When Schmoldt learned that whoever was in the RV appeared to have tried to avoid casualties, his mind went to Warner’s devotion to his animals for so many years.
Why blow up an RV in downtown Nashville? Questions of motive swirl after Christmas Day explosion
Nashville explosion: MNPD confirms Anthony Q. Warner as a person of interest in bombing
AT&T outages caused by Nashville explosion impact card machines at Walmart, other retailers
Downtown Nashville explosion plunges recovering businesses back into unknowns
Nashville explosion: Cleaning up devastation on Second Avenue will take months

Warner had dogs over the years, first two small Shelties and then a larger dog he adopted, though the pets have since died. Schmoldt said Warner “took really good care of his dogs,” even building a wheelchair ramp for them when they got older so the animals didn’t have to use stairs to get inside the house.

“If it was him, he didn’t want anybody hurt,” Schmoldt said. “But if that’s the case, what other message is there? If indeed it was him, I just, I don’t know. They have to figure out some kind of motive.”

Adam Tamburin, Natalie Alund, Mike Organ, Cassandra Stephenson, Brinley Hineman and Mariah Timms contributed.

Reach Natalie Allison at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @natalie_allison.
I laughed at the neighbors being surprised by the SWAT team.
Old 12-27-20, 07:46 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The guy posted on HispanicNewsNetwork doesn't look anywhere close to 63. Late 40s maybe.
Old 12-27-20, 07:46 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I don’t enjoy the whole running rings to not call this guy a domestic terrorist
Old 12-27-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Malcolm Young faked his death so he could pull off this terrorist attack?
"T.N.T... dynamite" indeed. This was planned back in the 70's.

Old 12-27-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB View Post

Come on. He's white. Nothing to see here.
Old 12-27-20, 08:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

That is what is being reported by law enforcement and I assume it’s true.

The picture of him in the MAGA hat has not been verified by any reputable news source; I haven’t seen any reputable reportage about his political views.
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

Twitter is such a cesspool. When I saw that tweet, I assumed it was real news, until your post reminded me.
Originally Posted by dork View Post
You may be surprised to learn that HispanicNewsNetwork may have relaxed their journalistic standards on this one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nashvil...-fbi-confirms/
it's really frustrating what passes as "news" to some folks.
Old 12-27-20, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The mystery deepens:

Los Angeles Entertainment Executive Tied To Suspected Nashville Bomber

A Los Angeles entertainment executive has been connected to the main suspect in the Christmas morning bombing in Nashville, according to numerous news reports.

Michelle Swing, a downtown L.A. resident and artist development director at AEG Presents, was reportedly given two houses by Anthony Quinn Warner, who has been named as one of the main persons of interest in the Christmas morning bombing in Nashville that devastated a city block.

According to reports, Warner gave Swing a $160,000 house via a quit claim in January 2019 in the Nashville neighborhood of Antioch, located 12 miles from downtown. Then, on November 25, Warner gave Swing another Antioch house worth $249,999 via quit claim.

It has not yet been revealed what the connection was between the 63-year-old Quinn and Swing, who worked in Knoxville, Tennessee at AC Entertainment as a marketing coordinator from May 2011 to May 2012. The agency handles the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, among other properties.

Swing moved on to become a senior project manager at Vendini (now known as AudienceView Select), a technology ticketing agency in San Francisco. She joined ticket seller StubHub in February 2016, lasting until September 2018 as a partnership and business development manager in San Francisco.

She then joined AEG in Los Angeles in October 2018.

Swing told DailyMail.com that “I’ve been told to direct everything else to the FBI” and declined to disclose whether she had ever met Warner or if she had any family links to him. She also denied knowledge of having the homes signed over to her.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...204503054.html

Now I gotta look up what a quit claim is.
Old 12-27-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The mystery deepens:

Los Angeles Entertainment Executive Tied To Suspected Nashville Bomber

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...204503054.html

Now I gotta look up what a quit claim is.
When you sign over real property to someone you sign a document releasing any claims to it in the future.
Old 12-27-20, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
When you sign over real property to someone you sign a document releasing any claims to it in the future.
Old 12-27-20, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 632 Likes on 482 Posts

Eh.

Old 12-27-20, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
This may be semantics, but I wouldn’t call him a terrorist based on the information we have so far.
Old 12-27-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,515 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
This may be semantics, but I wouldn’t call him a terrorist based on the information we have so far.
I’m torn. I think anyone who detonates a bomb in a metropolitan area with the potential to harm/kill a large number of people could definitely be classified as a domestic terrorist. On the other hand, he seemed to try to warn innocent people away from the explosion. At least initially, his intent does not appear to be to instill terror into people.

We obviously don’t know his full motivation but right now it doesn’t appear to be mass murder.

Of course, if anyone labels this guy a terrorist, I’m not really going to argue.
Old 12-27-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I’m torn. I think anyone who detonates a bomb in a metropolitan area with the potential to harm/kill a large number of people could definitely be classified as a domestic terrorist. On the other hand, he seemed to try to warn innocent people away from the explosion. At least initially, his intent does not appear to be to instill terror into people.

We obviously don’t know his full motivation but right now it doesn’t appear to be mass murder.

Of course, if anyone labels this guy a terrorist, I’m not really going to argue.
The IRA and the Weather Underground used to warn people away, too. If he was motivated by ideology, he's a terrorist. If he was just trying to commit suicide in an ostentatious way, he probably doesn't meet the definition of terrorist no matter how much he's frightened people.
Old 12-28-20, 08:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess it’s ok to not call him a domestic terrorist but a suicide bomber instead
Old 12-28-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, probably semantics ... I’m not sure I would call him a suicide bomber either. IMO, a suicide bomber is somebody who intends to kill others while using themself as the delivery medium. (Merriam-Webster uses that same definition, while Brittanica omits the loss of human life in favor of “maximum possible damage.”)

I jumped to those words too, terrorist, suicide bomber ... but they don’t seem to fit. Please do not take that as any form of approval. Just an effort to not jump to the extremism that this country always wants to jump to.

The “copycat” has been charged with multiple felonies.

In the meantime, there was a mass shooting in Rockford, IL yesterday which seems to be buried in the news.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-28-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-28-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The IRA and the Weather Underground used to warn people away, too. If he was motivated by ideology, he's a terrorist. If he was just trying to commit suicide in an ostentatious way, he probably doesn't meet the definition of terrorist no matter how much he's frightened people.
I agree with that take, JasonF. It is the intent and ideology that are the defining characteristics.
Old 12-28-20, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

In the meantime, there was a mass shooting in Rockford, IL yesterday which seems to be buried in the news.
Summary: 6 Shot. 3 Dead. Shooter is in the military. No known reason for doing it. Welcome to America.
Old 12-28-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Ostentatious suicide is good. Mrs Danger called it "pissy". He seems to have committed suicide in a way that causes maximum inconvenience for everyone else.
Old 12-28-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Yep. Our second time making national news this year. Yay us?
Old 12-28-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like inspiration for another Chicago-show spinoff: The Rockford Files. Oh, nevermind.
Old 12-28-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

A domestic terrorist who blew himself up with the apparent intent of killing nobody isn't much of a terrorist. That was most likely a "I'm gonna kill myself with a bang" suicide.
Old 12-28-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Terrorist. Plain and simple. If he was just intent on self-destruction, he could have ran the car in his garage with the doors closed. Or if he felt the need to go out big, he could have detonated the RV in a remote area. No, he wanted to take out property, and a lot of it. Just because he had a mild conscience in not wanting to kill people, he still wanted to create destruction for others. Terrorist. Full stop.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.