Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Election 2020 Results Discussion Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Election 2020 Results Discussion Thread

Old 10-21-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
re: The Election 2020 Results Discussion Thread

The networks used to make their projections based on exit polling. This year, the people voting on election day will have a Republican bias, while the absentee voting will have a Democratic bias. I wonder how they'll adjust for that.
Old 10-21-20, 06:13 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The networks used to make their projections based on exit polling. This year, the people voting on election day will have a Republican bias, while the absentee voting will have a Democratic bias. I wonder how they'll adjust for that.
Well, they'll weight for it, as usual. But the less representative your sample is compared to the population you're trying to sample from, the more extreme the weighting has to be, and the greater room for error.
Old 10-21-20, 06:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 536 Likes on 385 Posts

My apologies.
Old 10-21-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be home, but not sure which channel coverage I will watch yet. I also took the day after off work so I can stay up late and watch it all unfold.
Old 10-21-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Last Presidential election night I was at a Black Sabbath concert with my brother. I called our parents as soon as it ended to see who won and I could hear my mom crying in the background as my dad told me the terrible news.
Old 10-21-20, 07:19 PM

Received 541 Likes on 330 Posts

I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2​​​​​​ with my best friend from high school. My spouse got more and more distraught. Eventually, she convinced me to turn off the PS3 so she could watch the TV. It... it was not fun.

This year, I'll be at home. Bedtime for the kids is 8:00 pm, and I have a meeting at 9:00 am on Wednesday. I don't think I'll be able to stay up all night. I've been stressed lately, so I'm trying to work myself up to taking it easy that night (and over the weeks to come). I'll likely connect with friends, meditate, and put on some music. I also want to stay with facts over punditry as much as possible. If I tune in, it will be PBS.

Just thinking about this has me a little stressed, to be honest.
Old 10-21-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Home. With plenty of alcohol.
Old 10-21-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Also, I will be working the polls until 8PM so I will definitely be heading straight home after that.
I didnít know you were a stripper.
Old 10-21-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

No. Iíll wake up at midnight and check. No idea what happens next. Even if there is a massive blue wave. Trump and the GOP are very dangerous.
Old 10-21-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

This is the first time in 20+ years that I won't be working election night as a journalist. Guess I'll just order a pizza and find a stream on youtube.

I'm hoping for a landslide, but won't be surprised if we don't have a definitive answer who the winner is on election night.
Old 10-21-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I didnít know you were a stripper.
Iím a man of many talents, and this is a tough economy.
Old 10-22-20, 07:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Iíll be watching at home, through a haze of one-hitter smoke.
Old 10-22-20, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

Ill be on my day shift which means I go in at 3am. Usually I’m in bed by 7 or 8. This year I’ll probably try to fall asleep at like five or six and get up at midnight.
Old 10-22-20, 08:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 536 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My apologies.
my humor is lost on all of you.

ALL OF YOU!
Old 10-22-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts

I’ll be at work, most likely biting my tongue while being forced to watch on Fox News and listening to the toxic shit coming from the mouths of my patients. It’s amazing what kind of stuff people say when they assume I think like them just because I’m a middle-aged white guy in Alabama.
Old 10-22-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't think I'm going to watch. I'm going to vote, come home, and try to avoid all of the media nonsense until at least the next day.
Old 10-22-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Iíll be at work, most likely biting my tongue while being forced to watch on Fox News and listening to the toxic shit coming from the mouths of my patients. Itís amazing what kind of stuff people say when they assume I think like them just because Iím a middle-aged white guy in Alabama.
I get you. I look like the middle-aged stuffy white guy character in a movie, the kind who gasps with outrage when the cool hero brushes by him. A Native American co-worker was truly surprised to learn that I was on the email list for progressive news.
Old 10-22-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Iíll be at work, most likely biting my tongue while being forced to watch on Fox News and listening to the toxic shit coming from the mouths of my patients. Itís amazing what kind of stuff people say when they assume I think like them just because Iím a middle-aged white guy in Alabama.
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I get you. I look like the middle-aged stuffy white guy character in a movie, the kind who gasps with outrage when the cool hero brushes by him. A Native American co-worker was truly surprised to learn that I was on the email list for progressive news.
I'm a white guy from a solid red midwestern state. I have long hair, a beard, and look like an extra from Sons of Anarchy.

I never share my political opinions with anyone outside of a very tiny group of people. Ever. It's my girlfriend, two friends, and a few family members. Not my neighbors. Not the bulk of my friends and acquaintances. And certainly not my co-workers.

Most people who casually know me assume that I'm one of them because I look like a biker or one of the Duck Dynasty people. I don't discuss politics, but I do listen, and when I don't disagree with people, they take that as agreement, and the longer they ramble on, the creepier they get.

I have said before that there's a real darkness under the surface of conservatism, and that is why. It doesn't matter if they're white collar professionals or construction workers, listen to them long enough, and I'll eventually hear things like "Well, the Bible says homosexuals should be put to death..." and that ever popular n-word.
Old 10-22-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'm a white guy from a solid red midwestern state. I have long hair, a beard, and look like an extra from Sons of Anarchy.

I never share my political opinions with anyone outside of a very tiny group of people. Ever. It's my girlfriend, two friends, and a few family members. Not my neighbors. Not the bulk of my friends and acquaintances. And certainly not my co-workers.

Most people who casually know me assume that I'm one of them because I look like a biker or one of the Duck Dynasty people. I don't discuss politics, but I do listen, and when I don't disagree with people, they take that as agreement, and the longer they ramble on, the creepier they get.

I have said before that there's a real darkness under the surface of conservatism, and that is why. It doesn't matter if they're white collar professionals or construction workers, listen to them long enough, and I'll eventually hear things like "Well, the Bible says homosexuals should be put to death..." and that ever popular n-word.
This is spot on.

Im an older white dude from Texas, so everyone assumes Iím Republican. And the things you hear. Even had someone argue why only ďtheyĒ get to say the ďNĒ. In 2020 we still have to have that conversation.
Old 10-22-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Same here. I'm a greybearded old white veteran who has guns and a motorcycle and a lingering Southern™ accent so these pod people think I'm one of them, and the cringey shit they can spew makes my stomach turn. I keep my push-back knob pretty low (effort wasted and all that) and absolutely make sure to remember who said what.
Old 10-22-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Hopefully I won't be burying my face in a pillow at 2 AM after I look at the Breaking News on my phone like in 2016
I think I spent 60 minutes shaking my head on my pillow, wondering how and why, trying to go to sleep at around 11p in 2016. Then the next morning I went back to my old adage - the bigger personality (good or bad) wins Presidential elections.

Don't want to go through that again. Afraid I will.

I'll watch at home.

Regardless of the outcome, I worry about the days after.
Old 10-23-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

At home, but hopefully we won't be watching it constantly. .
Old 10-23-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 476 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think I spent 60 minutes shaking my head on my pillow, wondering how and why, trying to go to sleep at around 11p in 2016. Then the next morning I went back to my old adage - the bigger personality (good or bad) wins Presidential elections.

Don't want to go through that again. Afraid I will.

I'll watch at home.

Regardless of the outcome, I worry about the days after.
My wife went to bed in tears in 2016. I stayed up until like 2 or 3AM...just not believing that our country was shitty and racist enough to elected Donald Fucking Trump. But alas, it was.
Old 10-23-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 457 Likes on 326 Posts

Pretty much the same here, except my wife was at work. Just stayed up until 2 or so in disbelief and utter shock at our country.
Old 10-23-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
My wife went to bed in tears in 2016. I stayed up until like 2 or 3AM...just not believing that our country was shitty and racist enough to elected Donald Fucking Trump. But alas, it was.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Pretty much the same here, except my wife was at work. Just stayed up until 2 or so in disbelief and utter shock at our country.
Yeah, it's like that flashback scene in The Handmaid's Tale when all of the women went to work to find out they were fired from their jobs and their bank accounts were frozen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.