Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

What's Up With all the Fireworks??

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-26-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

So right now there is a thing where in Black and Brown neighborhoods there are fireworks going off. During Summer time its a common thing to hear illegal fireworks. Been that way forever, it's not a big deal.

However, since probably back to Memorial Day and intensifying during the Protests, there have been professional grade fireworks going off in these areas starting in the afternoon and going all night in many areas. Again...its NOT the normal fireworks. Its powerful pro grade stuff. Its almost like living near Disneyland and it's to the point where people are starting to say its Psychological Warfare. Keeping people in these areas up...perhaps prepping them for some future violent action...covering gunshot as citizens in these areas are being taken out which is a long told story in Black and Brown communities.

I hear them here in So Cal in the racially mixed area i live in and i see the reports from Black and Brown folks across the country.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 06-26-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 296 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: What's Up With all the Fireworks??

Yes. Though I'm also in socal so maybe I'm hearing the same thing. I thought it was mainly people being cooped up at home and buying fireworks, but I've also heard the theories you're talking about. We've always had random people popping off stuff way before the fourth but this is much more than usual.
Old 06-26-20, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Haven't heard those theories, but am sure hearing the explosions! Living near Disneyland, I assure you that these are MUCH worse! I've seen nextdoor.com comments complaining almost daily - saying that vets with PTSD are being affected. That may be, I don't know - but my dog is not happy about the sudden BOOM that has become a frequent thing now.
Old 06-26-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's definitely some kind of viral firework thing going on. I don't think it's just in minority communities though. I live in like a 98% white suburban area (I know, I know...) And we've got someone setting off fireworks every day for a while now. We usually have them at night leading up to July 4, but this has been all hours of the day for a few weeks.
Old 06-26-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

Got 'em going on here too. Was wondering the same thing.
Old 06-26-20, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

Wow, that's freaky.

It's funny, I live in a beach/cottage community, and we always have a bit of fireworks going off at night, (only amateur grade types though) but tonight it's completely quiet outside.
Old 06-26-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know how much it would cost for one of these "Firework shows" for lack of a better term? I am to fireworks as Lucille is to bananas.
Old 06-27-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok so its not just some people imagining things then. 10minutes ago i could hear what sounded like New Years Eve level explosions all going off at once East of my location in the distance. Weeks agos when it really startes to get my attention i figured it was the Soccer Stadium which is in Carson CA. But that stadium is South East of me and the fireworks are further North. I can still hear them, although less intense, as im typing this...
Old 06-27-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
So right now there is a thing where in Black and Brown neighborhoods there are fireworks going off. During Summer time its a common thing to hear illegal fireworks. Been that way forever, it's not a big deal.

However, since probably back to Memorial Day and intensifying during the Protests, there have been professional grade fireworks going off in these areas starting in the afternoon and going all night in many areas. Again...its NOT the normal fireworks. Its powerful pro grade stuff.
If you're not familiar with the current consumer grade fireworks, they're a lot more elaborate than the cone-shaped spark fountains and Roman candles we grew up with.

You can buy mortars that are similar to the aerial fireworks you see at public displays (community 4th of July celebrations, Disneyland, etc.) but on a smaller scale.

I can buy (and have bought) stuff like this, and shot it off for the 4th of July.

https://wfboom.com/reloadable-cases/epic-arsenal-1/1/
https://wfboom.com/reloadable-cases/...-liberty-2/48/

The legality of these varies by state and local laws, though, but they are readily available to consumers. There are tents setting in parking lots in my area right now that are going to be selling these to anyone who wants them.
Old 06-27-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If you're not familiar with the current consumer grade fireworks, they're a lot more elaborate than the cone-shaped spark fountains and Roman candles we grew up with.

You can buy mortars that are similar to the aerial fireworks you see at public displays (community 4th of July celebrations, Disneyland, etc.) but on a smaller scale.

I can buy (and have bought) stuff like this, and shot it off for the 4th of July.

https://wfboom.com/reloadable-cases/epic-arsenal-1/1/
https://wfboom.com/reloadable-cases/...-liberty-2/48/

The legality of these varies by state and local laws, though, but they are readily available to consumers. There are tents setting in parking lots in my area right now that are going to be selling these to anyone who wants them.
I get that. Trust me i do. Black folks here in So Cal looove going to Nevada to buy fireworks on that level.

But this is way more intense and sounds professional. Ive seen the explosions in the sky and seen the horizon light up. Its NOT just some fun lovin' knuckleheads with some contraband fireworks.
Old 06-27-20, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 142 Likes on 110 Posts

It’s par for the course here in Orange County. Pretty constant massive mortars all night about one every 30 minutes. Been that way for years. Some are closer, some are distant.
Old 06-27-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here’s LA in 2017. None of what you see is a legit public fireworks show.

https://time.com/4846239/dylan-schwa...rks-timelapse/
Old 06-27-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-27-20, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

OC folks might not get why this is different because you hear this all year long. Jus sayin..
Old 06-27-20, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
OC folks might not get why this is different because you hear this all year long. Jus sayin..
I’m not sure what you’re saying, but we get it all year long. Less in the winter, but nightly. As the fourth approaches it’s every 30 minutes like I said. Then the 4th is just a fucking battle zone.
Old 06-27-20, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just up the road from Arrowhead and Royals stadiums. Every Friday night Royals home game ends with fireworks. Can't see them because of huge tree in backyard across the street but can sure hear them. Always know when the game is over. Pets hate it. Military fly overs are cool though. Can hear them coming from miles away so plenty of time to run outside and watch them fly right over my house.
Old 06-27-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 110 Likes on 97 Posts

Fucking people have more money and not necessarily from work. The $1200 stimulus checks and that extra $600 per week on unemployment makes that disposable income for a lot of these fucking twerps setting them off at all hours of the night. It's been happening since the first week of June out here.
Old 06-27-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Fucking people have more money and not necessarily from work. The $1200 stimulus checks and that extra $600 per week on unemployment makes that disposable income for a lot of these fucking twerps setting them off at all hours of the night. It's been happening since the first week of June out here.
Came to post exactly this. Bored people with free money. Who knew that would cause late night shenanigans?

It's been a big problem this year. My dogs are not appreciating it.
Old 06-27-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Came to post exactly this. Bored people with free money. Who knew that would cause late night shenanigans?
It's been a big problem this year. My dogs are not appreciating it.
Manufacture a fable out of whole cloth and then get upset about it as if it were true. Sounds about right.
Old 06-27-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Manufacture a fable out of whole cloth and then get upset about it as if it were true. Sounds about right.
It's as good an assumption as anyone else's. I'm sticking with it.

My biggest issue with it is the fire danger. It's really high out here.
Old 06-27-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts

Looked this up, and it's a full-blown conspiracy theory:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...heory-1021236/

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...police/613450/

https://slate.com/technology/2020/06...instagram.html

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...-theory-reason

https://www.bustle.com/p/15-wild-fir...itter-27628055
Old 06-27-20, 11:05 AM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts

There have been neighborhood reports of fireworks a lot in the hood by my house. Haven't heard them personally, but definitely multiple reports. I guess it is a thing now.
Old 06-27-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

From one of the articles:

To some degree, our current circumstances are likely to blame. In a 1994 paper, the sociologist Ted Goertzel found that belief in a conspiracy theory is strongly correlated with “anomia,” or a feeling that social order is collapsing and “the situation of the average person is getting worse.” He also found a correlation between conspiracy belief and positive responses to the question, “Thinking about the next 12 months, how likely do you think it is that you will lose your job or be laid off?”

Interesting theory, and one cannot argue that the current crisis is causing a huge amount of stress and mental issues. We are all slowly being driven mad.

Old 06-27-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok. But this is every single night and the level and amount of Fireworks surely have blown any little stim checks by now.
Old 06-27-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The "safe and sane" firework stands are setting up now. Saw one that looked fully stocked and ready to open - if not already! Now we get that noise on top of all the major explosions. Oh yay.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.