DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   RULES AND EXPECTATIONS for Religion, Politics, and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/650725-rules-expectations-religion-politics-world-events.html)

story 06-17-20 04:24 PM

RULES AND EXPECTATIONS for Religion, Politics, and World Events

Hi, everyone. This post is being made as a sticky and much of it is cross-posted as an updated OP for the PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING in Religion, Politics, and World Events sticky thread.

Welcome to the Religion, Politics, and World Events "Other" subforum of DVDTalk. Whether you're a longtime member or this is your first time here, please read through this from time to time.

The Admin and Moderator team has been in discussion about the Religion, Politics, and World Events subforum. After a brief window in May/June 2020 of the subforum viewable only by registered members only during this discussion, the subforum has been reopened with new and refreshed rules and expectations in place. At the time of this writing, we have a road of around 150 days to the presidential election - a road that is short on time and perhaps long in emotion. We want this road to be filled with an active membership who partake in healthy discussion. We all have moments when we need to vent and this may be one of the only places we can do that. We all have posts when we are not at our best. We can all do better. We ask you to please approach this subforum with a cool head and a warm heart. There are enough corners of the internet for people to display a hot head and a cold heart. We'd prefer to not be one of those places.

Our goal here is to promote an environment in which people can present various ideas, opinions and points of view in a manner which supports discussion of these things. The moderators are not here to prevent you from being offended, we are here though to make sure the discussion proceeds in a civilized manner. In addition to the usual DVDTalk rules and terms of use across the entire forum (no personal attacks, threadcrapping, spam, etc.), the Religion, Politics, and World Events subforum has additional rules and expectations, as it has since it began in 2005. What follows is a list of new and freshly-articulated rules and expectations for this community moving forward.

Rules for Religion, Politics, and World Events:
1. NO TROLLING. If you're here to troll, LEAVE. Also, no calling people "trolls." Just report the post. For those who were here for a while, the "troll emojis" are gone.
2. No party bashing or group generalizations. Posts like "liberals are smarter than conservatives," "conservatives are more moral than liberals," "voting group A are all horrible people," or "group B is nuts" do not forward discourse. They are often speculative generalizations, anecdotal opinion, or outright false. If you want to make a specific point like, "[This party / liberals / conservatives / voting group A] favors ________," back the supposition up with links to the articles, polls, sites that support your point.
3. No "fixing" posts. You cannot make a post that edits or add words to someone else's post, quoted or not, to misrepresent that person's post, harass them, or write "fixed" after it. This is considered a personal attack or threadcrap.. The proper response is to quote the original post exactly and then write your response outside the quoted portion.

4. No memes or cartoons outside the memes and cartoons threads. Please leave them out of the threads driven by the discussion.
5. No posting articles, links, or embedded Tweets or videos without comment. Just posting this kind of material without additional commentary to continue the dialogue is not allowed, especially as the first post in a thread. The commentary must be of greater substance than something like, "Can you believe this?! I can't!" If it's worth sharing, it's worth writing about, too.

New Rules for the General Rules across all DVDTalk forums:
  • NO TROLLING. If you're here to troll, LEAVE. Also, no calling people "trolls." Just report the post. For those who were here for a while, the "troll emojis" are gone.
  • Signatures, locations, and other profile content cannot harass a member, moderator, or administrator. If someone reports your location or signature because they think it's a reference to them or quote from them and they feel trolled or made fun of, that report will be taken seriously.
Posts that violate these rules may be deleted or edited by moderators and can lead to further action.

Expectations for Religion, Politics, and World Events:
These expectations are intended to help foster a healthy discussion environment. Remember: We're an entertainment culture and media-based discussion community that also happens to have a subforum for people to discuss religion, politics, and world events. It's not the other way around. Even if it was, the community standards are still high. And if it was reverse, it would probably be even higher, really. Thank you for holding yourself accountable to these expectations:
A. Approach this subforum as a space for intentional discussion, not disingenuous discord. Everyone - every single member - is asked to do this. Posts that are intentionally combative, looking for "Gotcha!" moments, steeped in a "What's that supposed to mean?!" attitude, or are basically "I know you are, but what am I?" and other signs of immature attitudes drag the whole community down. You know what will trigger people. You know posts laden with name-calling, generalizations, excessive swearing and coarse language, and outright contempt are going to rile people up. Healthy culture doesn't get built by new or revamped rules. It gets built because you invest in building the culture. That means...
  • Give your best with your best intentions. If you're here with a chip on your shoulder, if you're here to teach people lessons, if you want to be a keyboard warrior, there are other places you can go.
  • Assume best intent and take a breath when it doesn't feel that way. If someone is coming at you with vitriol, ask yourself if returning vitriol is your best bet.
  • Show growth in yourself. Allow growth in others. If you're still mad about a snarky post Jo-Jo made fifteen years ago about the Burger King/Coca-Cola Star Wars collectible glassware (straight-edge vs. rounded tumbler-style), but they've grown in how they conduct themselves now, let it go. We are all more than our worst mistake. If you want people to see the best in you, actively work to see the best in others.
  • Concede the point. If you think they make a good point, let them know you think so. Genuine compliments can go a long way.
  • Ask for forgiveness. If you realize you antagonized someone and you realize it was wrong, apologize. Otherwise, it leaves your antagonism as the lingering impression. Show your growth by apologizing and doing better. If you need tips on what a successful apology looks like, the research on the "Six Steps of a Successful Apology" out of Ohio State University is a good place to start.
  • Give forgiveness and the benefit of the doubt. If they antagonized you, apologized, and are obviously trying to do better, forgive them and move on. Give the grace you'd like to receive yourself.
  • Engage with others the way you want to be engaged.
B. Use the "Report the Post" feature as needed and with good intentions.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...09460f9d95.gif This feature is found in the bottom left-hand corner of everyone else's posts. You're encouraged to use the feature if someone has clearly broken the rules/expectations so subforum moderators can at least take a look at it. Just like any member, moderators have different topics they are interested in and there is no guarantee that a moderator is reading/following any particular thread. Remember, using RTP to oppose opinions you don't like, especially if you don't even post in the subforum, isn't how RTP works. Trying to use the mod team to crack down on someone who's opinion you don't like or who is vocal about a particular topic that annoys is not going to gain much traction, especially if you lurk and don't actually post. If you want to be part of the reporting body, you should be part of the discussing body.
C. Try not to "fire from the hip" or respond "in-kind" when posting. Take the time to think through your response and reread it before hitting the submit button to make sure it says what you want to say in the manner you want it said. This is especially important when a particular thread starts to get a little heated and people from all angles are getting worked up and feeding off of each other leading to an all-out "flame war."
D. The use of links is strongly encouraged. When quoting outside resources please provide a link to the material if at all possible. This is especially important if you are quoting just a section of the original text so that quote can be put back into its original context.
E. Remember: it's okay to take a break! Taking a break from the subforum occasionally can be a good thing, if a particular thread is getting too heated. Instead of trying to get in the last word, just take a break from that thread a while. Suspensions, etc. are for people who don't know when to take a break on their own behalf. Breathe before you post. And if it still feels tough to post without getting worked up, maybe take a break.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS A GENERAL FORUM WARNING. Consequences for not following the Rules and Expectations may include suspensions, "political exile," and beyond. The point of these Rules and Expectations is not to stifle any particular point of view or opinion; open and honest discussions are strongly encouraged. This is forum meant for mature people to have "grown-up" conversations about real world happenings. If you really want a "no holds bar" discussion there are plenty of options elsewhere that will accommodate you.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation. Your Admin and Moderator Team does its best to maintain an active roster with balance when it comes to the political spectrum to try to apply these Rules and Expectations fairly to all situations. If you do have a question or challenge with a particular moderator, though, please contact the DVDTalk administrators http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/contact.php. We will continue to work with you on improving our culture. We are all volunteers and doing our best. While the world is heating up, politically, we're doing our best to keep this subforum open for discussion while keeping it cool so as not to add to the fire. Let's keep at this together, and thank you.

VinVega 06-17-20 06:13 PM

Re: RULES AND EXPECTATIONS for Religion, Politics, and World Events

Thank you story for posting this and doing all the legwork to organize our thoughts. I'm sure it's going to be a heated election season, but I hope we can get through it and consider the points outlined above.

Bandoman 06-18-20 09:27 AM

:up:

wendersfan 06-18-20 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13759593)
:up:

Suck up.

;)

Bandoman 06-18-20 09:54 AM

Hey, you never know when I might need a break from the authorities! Gotta plant those seeds early. :D

kefrank 07-07-20 12:06 AM

Regarding rule #5, given the recent discussion in the Trump thread about posting his tweets, how about a dedicated "Trump's Tweets" thread where his tweets get posted without comment or discussion? It seems if we can have a dedicated meme thread and keep memes out of the "discussion" threads, then something similar could be done for Trump's tweets. Just a thought.

VinVega 07-07-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13768586)
Regarding rule #5, given the recent discussion in the Trump thread about posting his tweets, how about a dedicated "Trump's Tweets" thread where his tweets get posted without comment or discussion? It seems if we can have a dedicated meme thread and keep memes out of the "discussion" threads, then something similar could be done for Trump's tweets. Just a thought.

This isn't directed at you, but at the argument that is being made for commentless image posting. It's a discussion board. Why is it so hard to try to have a discussion with words about an image?

The Cow 07-07-20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13768586)

It's old, but there is at least a thread already.

He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

FWIW, I agree that a retweet should have a discussion point.

maxfisher 07-08-20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega;[url=tel:13768875
13768875[/url]]This isn't directed at you, but at the argument that is being made for commentless image posting. It's a discussion board. Why is it so hard to try to have a discussion with words about an image?

I get that Trump occasionally Tweets photos, but the ones posted here are typically his words. Two scenarios:

A. In a public appearance, Trump calls for imprisoning members of the press who quote unnamed sources from the White House.

B. Trump tweets the exact same verbiage.

Under the current rules, I think I can quote A directly with my only commentary being ‘what the fuck...’, but posting B with the same commentary is against the rules. That strikes me as odd and inconsistent.

The real issue is that Trump frequently posts or says things that are so blatantly wrong/dumb/evil/etc, that there’s some value in acknowledging he said them in a discussion thread about him, but little to no additional value in stating the obvious ‘this is why X is bad’.

cultshock 07-08-20 05:53 PM

Rules are fine, but IMO the rules regarding posting Trump's tweets have been very inconsistent over the past several years. Is this just my imagination or have I read varying mod/admin opinions about it?

WCChiCubsFan 07-08-20 06:47 PM

The idea of having the tweets in a separate thread is pretty dumb and not very well thought out. They are official statements by the President and belong in the President’s thread.

I’ve always consider the individuals that are posting them as performing a nice public service. I for one try never to go to Twitter because I simply don’t like the platform and don’t want to give them the traffic.
Having them posted in the President’s thread allows me to read what the President is posting without having to go to Twitter.

While I’m fine with them having little to no commentary because they do on their own help to generate conversation, others are not. So what it comes down to is, what is enough commentary?

The answer to that question is of course subjective. To some depending on the tweet a simple WTF can express just as much some long winded commentary by a poster that makes the mistake that volume is an indication of quality.

In the end no solution is going to satisfy everyone, I just hope the moderators are open minded.

Red Hood 07-08-20 10:05 PM

Most people know how I feel about posting Trump's tweets without any commentary, but to be clear, the main reason I do it is because it sparks more conversation in the thread. As we have said before, Trump's main (and sometimes only) form of communication comes in tweets. He rarely holds press conferences, or does interviews with media other than Fox or OAN, so these tweets stand by themselves as his policy, threats, ideas, etc.

Still, I will abide by the rules, but I just wanted to post my thoughts on this so that maybe this adding commentary rule could be reconsidered only for these tweets.

Bronkster 07-08-20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13769556)
Most people know how I feel about posting Trump's tweets without any commentary, but to be clear, the main reason I do it is because it sparks more conversation in the thread. As we have said before, Trump's main (and sometimes only) form of communication comes in tweets. He rarely holds press conferences, or does interviews with media other than Fox or OAN, so these tweets stand by themselves as his policy, threats, ideas, etc.

Still, I will abide by the rules, but I just wanted to post my thoughts on this so that maybe this adding commentary rule could be reconsidered only for these tweets.

I'll back up this thought, on the off chance opinions can be changed. -poke-

kefrank 07-08-20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan (Post 13769426)
The idea of having the tweets in a separate thread is pretty dumb and not very well thought out. They are official statements by the President and belong in the President’s thread.

I agree it's a dumb idea and I suggested it. It's a suggested concession for the people that can't be bothered to understand or follow the rules. :shrug:

VinVega 07-09-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13769556)

Don't you have an opinion about the tweet you are posting? Why just throw a picture up on the board and have other people comment? The whole point is to hear what you have to say about it.

joeblow69 07-09-20 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13769751)
Don't you have an opinion about the tweet you are posting? Why just throw a picture up on the board and have other people comment? The whole point is to hear what you have to say about it.

I view it as him performing a service for us ... weeding through the crap on trumps feed and showing us only the important stuff. How many times do you need him to post "Look at this bullshit idiot" after a twitter post. Isn't it implied at this point?

maxfisher 07-09-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega;[url=tel:13769751
13769751[/url]]Don't you have an opinion about the tweet you are posting? Why just throw a picture up on the board and have other people comment? The whole point is to hear what you have to say about it.

From a pragmatic point of view, your post is as much of a picture as a tweet from Trump about the Supreme Court. They’re both text conveying your words on a visual digital medium, just hosted in different file formats. The real issue is ‘can you post someone else’s opinion without commenting on it.’

Red Hood 07-09-20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13769751)

I have an opinion for most of them, but there are some tweets that speak for themselves, without me having to add any comment to it. For example, the extremely racist tweets Trump posts speak for themselves. There's no need for me to add " what a racist imbecile this guy is" multiple times.

Decker 07-09-20 03:02 PM

Speaking only for myself, I care far more about repeated confrontational tolling behavior that riles up an entire thread than I do about the posting of a Presidential tweet without additional comment, which seems to upset nobody. Maybe that should be addressed first?

Dan 07-09-20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13769895)
Speaking only for myself, I care far more about repeated confrontational tolling behavior that riles up an entire thread than I do about the posting of a Presidential tweet without additional comment, which seems to upset nobody. Maybe that should be addressed first?

:up: not just in this subforum, either.

brayzie 07-12-20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13769289)
I get that Trump occasionally Tweets photos, but the ones posted here are typically his words. Two scenarios:

A. In a public appearance, Trump calls for imprisoning members of the press who quote unnamed sources from the White House.

B. Trump tweets the exact same verbiage.

Under the current rules, I think I can quote A directly with my only commentary being ‘what the fuck...’, but posting B with the same commentary is against the rules. That strikes me as odd and inconsistent.

You can always find a loophole or work around for just about anything. There's never going to be some perfect, absolutist set of guidelines. If everyone's acting in good faith, it should be okay.

The real issue is that Trump frequently posts or says things that are so blatantly wrong/dumb/evil/etc, that there’s some value in acknowledging he said them in a discussion thread about him, but little to no additional value in stating the obvious ‘this is why X is bad’.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13769752)
I view it as him performing a service for us ... weeding through the crap on trumps feed and showing us only the important stuff. How many times do you need him to post "Look at this bullshit idiot" after a twitter post. Isn't it implied at this point?

We all have smart phones and internet access so anyone who's interested can just check Trump's feed for themselves. But if people are only posting important stuff, then I'd think important stuff would warrant some decent commentary beyond "smh" or "what an idiot."

Not to mention, you're also using Twitter's defense. They argued that they're providing a service to us by allowing the president to slander individuals, spread disinformation, and promote racism without restriction. They put a spoiler on a few of his Tweets and then went back to doing nothing. In the end we just get desensitized to it.