Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Old 06-08-20, 12:32 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 31,106
Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Well, I used to be much more involved here, but I grew old and wise and figured out that arguing on the internet is mostly a waste of time. In a word, I'm too old for this shit.
Old 06-08-20, 01:25 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 14,852
Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

story nailed it for me when he typed "Everybody is wrong here but me." Then he struck through it. Damn the luck.

I would hope that nobody who's actually here to discuss their ideas in good faith would ever feel unwelcome. While I've gotten my ass handed to me a number of times (deservedly so, for the most part) over the last 14-plus years, and I voluntarily absented myself for a couple of years there, the people I have had the least use for are the ones who really aren't interested in learning or sharing insights from other people--they just want to be trolls. There are people here who don't like me and I don't like them right back. There are people here who do like me and I like them. The second group has never, nor will it ever, contain anybody whose purpose is to be a troll.

That's all I've got.

P.S. Don't get me started on Facebook, Twitter, or the comments interfaces for varying news outlets. The main reason I like the AP wire, other than its lack of bias, is that it doesn't ALLOW commenting.


Old 06-08-20, 01:34 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

The forum certainly has changed of the years. When I joined it was an overwhelming Republican right wing echo chamber and the few of us that were not took a lot of abuse. On reflection I think a lot of that had to do with one Admin/Moderator who was conservative and very passive/aggressive to the five or so of us who didn't share his views. Never came out and threatened banning of those who didn't tow his line but that threat seemed to often linger in the background. I'm not certain what happened but one day that Mod seemed to disappear from this forum but still is active in other forums at DVDtalk.

I don't know if the forum will ever swing back to the way it once was but it certainly could happen. I suspect if Biden wins the Presidency more conservatives will show up because it is always easier to attack then to defend.





Old 06-08-20, 02:26 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post

After the election of Donald Trump in 2016 and the resultant breakdown in civic engagement that was reflected here made it more difficult and uncomfortable for me to maintain that level of activity. In other words, we used to be nicer to each other.
I could have sworn that we were getting more rude to each other prior to Trump. When I first got here it seemed like the rules were strictly enforced and over time less so.

The main point Iím trying to make, as an old man yelling at a cloud, is, do we want it this way? Currents signs indicate Ďweí do. It seems the predominant method of Ďdiscourseí here is either argument by meme or argument by Twitter-quote.
We used to have strict rules about posting videos with commentary so itís not just a video link farm. But people just post a lot of Tweets with videos and just add something like ďlook at this stupid motherfucking bitch.Ē Or ďthereís good people on both sides right? eye roll:Ē

Gone are the days when people actually made fully-formed posts devoid of canned talking points and embroidered with independent thought. I suppose with the now dominance of pithy social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, itís easier to quote some poorly-sourced slogan than think for yourself.
Because thoughtful discussion doesnít convince the public. Making someone look bad or using humor to mock them and their ideas, thatís easy for the public to understand. And memes are perfect for that.

If you post at length about something with some sincerity, people who disagree with you tend to take it personal to their ďside.Ē So they respond with ďtl;drĒ or say youíre ranting, or they use emojis, a meme, they respond back with snark etc.

But any time people have a dog in the fight so to speak, theyíre going to use whatever means they can go ďwinĒ the argument and invalidate youíre argument, and even you as a person, even if it means using sophistry, specious logic, ad hominem attacks, logical fallacies, etc.
Old 06-08-20, 02:53 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,308
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

IMO it's a complete waste of time to talk politics online. You don't know the people you are talking to. Everything becomes personal. Name calling ensues. And we only attempt to discuss issues when emotions are running high.

Why would any rational person want to engage in that? I have opinions about the left, both positive and negative. I hate their ideas far more often than I hate the right's, but I feel like both political parties are opposite sides of the same coin. I don't like to support either party because I think they're just playing a game that costs us our lives and livelihoods in the long run.
Old 06-08-20, 02:58 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,486
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
For one thing, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram) has been eating away at boards like this for the last ten years or so. A lot of people have been migrating to those platforms and abandoning the old school message boards like these that thrived in the pre-social media days.

DVDTalk has drifted leftward over the past ten or so years, and it's not the only board that has either. I'm a member of several other boards, and the ones that allow political discussion have all drifted leftward as well. This is not unique to DVDTalk... I have seen it happen first-hand on comic book forums, music forums, and horror forums.

I think that a lot of conservative types have been moving to Facebook and Twitter because the message thrives in those places. For one thing, they're unmoderated and trolling and name-calling are permitted. For another, they're more specialized and it's easier to connect with like-minded people and "bubble" yourself. The net effect here is that both sides end becoming echo chambers in their own ponds... social media becomes a right wing echo chamber, and message boards then become their own right-wing echo chamber.

I really don't like Facebook and Twitter for any kind of meaningful discussion. Twitter, but its character limit, makes it difficult to have any kind of meaningful, in-depth discussion. Facebook is just a mess when it comes to reading anything with more than ten replies.
Agree completely.

Also, I think that as Trump has completely run off the rails, it has made it hard to agree with him and not look as racist and sexist and as much of an asshole as he is. Like, I used to think that Republicans were wrong, sure. But they still saw the same fundamental issues overall as Democrats, they were just doing wrong things to fix it. Like for example, they know racism is real, but think that free market solutions will solve it. And at best they were perhaps dismissive to the *scope* of the problem. Like yeah, there's racism, but there isn't that much...or like yeah, there is some sexism, but it's rare and overblown and women mostly have the same chances as everyone else.

Trump has gone so far from those sorts of attitude that it is hard to talk to his supporters. He just lies his face off all the time and lives in fairy-tale land where he is the smartest and sexiest and cleverest person alive like most narcissists. And I think it is hard for Republicans that support him to back up his racism and ridiculous reality-denial and lying without going all in on the same sorts of complete truth denial and racism and whataboutism-ing like crazy...things that tend to get you banned.

I, for one, was just thinking about wendersfan last month when coronavirus stuff was going on. I am a "don't believe it until I see some numbers" type of person most of the time (I consider myself an atheist and a skeptic first and foremost), and I missed his professional grade graphing skills. Stats and data are really important right now with the coronavirus stuff going on.
Old 06-08-20, 03:07 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 22,539
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Elect defensible politicians with defensible ideas and it'll be easier to talk.
Old 06-08-20, 03:09 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
IMO it's a complete waste of time to talk politics online. You don't know the people you are talking to. Everything becomes personal. Name calling ensues. And we only attempt to discuss issues when emotions are running high.
It has the benefit of being able to discuss politics with people outside of real life without alienating yourself friends, family, and co-workers. Also, some people online can be civil and provide a POV or information that might enlighten someone on the topic discussed.

But yes, often it results in name calling, taking it personal, etc, which can make it feel like it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-08-20, 03:13 PM
  #34  
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 1,045
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

I see what wendersfan is saying, and it's gone past the point of alienating Trump supporters and Republicans. We now have Left leaning posters actively trying to police what should and shouldn't be discussed in a concerted effort to eliminate any honest intention discussion that paints the Left in a slightly negative light, or would allegedly contribute to a Trump victory.

Trump is the ultimate boogeyman. The left is so afraid of him re-winning election that they've basically become the mirror of his fanbase. Cultish groupthinkers who reject anyone who doesn't 100% buy in. This isn't the only site on the internet where I'm seeing it.
Old 06-08-20, 03:28 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,621
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

I'm at the point of disconnecting from reality due to the events of the last three months. I know the difference between right and wrong and do my best to live that every day. Now the bullying of online forums and on social media to try enforce their perceived morality on others keeps me silent and I post only on things that are meant to be fun and bring me some form of happiness.
Old 06-08-20, 03:33 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
maxfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,833
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh;[url=tel:13754762
13754762[/url]]A small example. Some here who are ardent trump detractors used to be against affirmative action. We had discussions on the topic. Could that happen now? Would somebody opposed to affirmative action, let's say in college admissions, be treated openly and without being labeled a racist? Not only do I have my doubts, but some conservative leaning, non-trump supporting, members have voiced this very fear. A predominant view exists and opposition to that view is treated as malicious.
Responding to your example, I think it depends on the underlying argument. If someone voiced opposition to affirmative action because they donít think it helps historically disadvantaged minorities or that there are more effective ways to help them, I think healthy discussion would ensue. At the other end, if someone claimed disadvantaged groups didnít deserve help, they would likely get mobbed. In the middle, if someone questioned something like whether historic oppression translated into a current disadvantage, I think the civility would vary, at least at the outset. The level of discourse is going to be healthier when there is some level of shared values underlying it. When the sense of that is stripped away, people get more aggressive.

I think thatís part of the problem with Trumpís polarization of the country. He is transparent in his disdain for many things both sides at least used to pay lip service to as shared values. When someone enthusiastically supports him, I personally question how many values we could have in common. It feels like a discussion with them is on a strained faultline that could let go at any moment.

To the broader topic, Iíve certainly shifted far to the left over the two decades Iíve been here. Hell, if my 22-year-old self was here, thereís a high probability heíd be a snarky, own-the-libtards Trump apologist. Meeting and listening to people unlike myself, both virtually and in real life, has caused me to re-examine my beliefs and change many of them significantly. I think the changes are for the better, but I also hope that 20 years from now, Iím able to look back and see continued growth. I feel like a decent percentage of our community has that same thirst to learn and adapt, even if we can be a bit of an echo chamber these days.


Old 06-08-20, 03:33 PM
  #37  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8,529
Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by atrium View Post
I see what wendersfan is saying, and it's gone past the point of alienating Trump supporters and Republicans. We now have Left leaning posters actively trying to police what should and shouldn't be discussed in a concerted effort to eliminate any honest intention discussion that paints the Left in a slightly negative light, or would allegedly contribute to a Trump victory.

Trump is the ultimate boogeyman. The left is so afraid of him re-winning election that they've basically become the mirror of his fanbase. Cultish groupthinkers who reject anyone who doesn't 100% buy in. This isn't the only site on the internet where I'm seeing it.
Could you give some examples, because I haven't since any of what you say in any of the threads here.
Old 06-08-20, 03:40 PM
  #38  
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 1,045
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Could you give some examples, because I haven't since any of what you say in any of the threads here.
Sure, the "defund the police" conversation that was going on the past day or two. Posters on here were saying that we shouldn't be suggesting or throwing around the phase 'defund the police' because Trump and his cronies would pounce on it. The gist of it was, if you support defunding the police, don't speak up about it because it might make Biden lose.
Old 06-08-20, 03:45 PM
  #39  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8,529
Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Elect defensible politicians with defensible ideas and it'll be easier to talk.
Exactly. My perception from the OP is that he's throwing grievances of how this forum has evolved without considering how his party (I'm assuming Republican/conservative) has evolved. The GOP is Trump and vice-versa. You guys embraced him and all his policies and it's come back to bite all of you in the ass. Add the fact that almost the entire GOP has enable this destructive behavior, from McConnell on down, that anytime someone like John McCain or Mitt Romney disagree with dear leader Trump, they basically become pariahs in their own party. GOP has selected to be party over country. Mike Huckabee reminded everyone this past weekend on Fox News about that. Is not the left's fault that you guys bet on the wrong horse, one that not only is hated in the US, but all throughout the world. People hate him so bad that for the first time ever all 50 states, plus big cities throughout the whole world, united by protesting at the same time. Like Troy said, elect defensible politicians with defensible ideas and it'll be easier to talk.
Old 06-08-20, 03:50 PM
  #40  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8,529
Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by atrium View Post
Sure, the "defund the police" conversation that was going on the past day or two. Posters on here were saying that we shouldn't be suggesting or throwing around the phase 'defund the police' because Trump and his cronies would pounce on it. The gist of it was, if you support defunding the police, don't speak up about it because it might make Biden lose.
I understand your point here, but still that's a fair discussion. Even John Oliver brought it up on his show last night because fear mongerers like Tucker Carlson are jumping on the phrase, misleading his viewers of what it truly means, which it isn't to break up the police, it's simply to reduce the funding for things like settlements, military grade weapons, kill trainings, etc. On our end of the spectrum, we are educated enough to understand the difference and the definition of the phrase, but when Trump and his cronies basis of marketing is fear mongering, it's understandable why some are cautious about using that slogan as a marketing phrase for the election. Remember, one of the reasons the Dems lost in 2016 was "because of her emails".
Old 06-08-20, 03:54 PM
  #41  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,568
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Exactly. My perception from the OP is that he's throwing grievances of how this forum has evolved without considering how his party (I'm assuming Republican/conservative) has evolved. The GOP is Trump and vice-versa. You guys embraced him and all his policies and it's come back to bite all of you in the ass. Add the fact that almost the entire GOP has enable this destructive behavior, from McConnell on down, that anytime someone like John McCain or Mitt Romney disagree with dear leader Trump, they basically become pariahs in their own party. GOP has selected to be party over country. Mike Huckabee reminded everyone this past weekend on Fox News about that. Is not the left's fault that you guys bet on the wrong horse, one that not only is hated in the US, but all throughout the world. People hate him so bad that for the first time ever all 50 states, plus big cities throughout the whole world, united by protesting at the same time. Like Troy said, elect defensible politicians with defensible ideas and it'll be easier to talk.

As politely and kindly as I can, your perception is very very far off. I don't want to minimize your opinions or forum contributions, but this is a case where having a longer perspective and understanding of the older and highly active posters would be helpful.
Old 06-08-20, 03:59 PM
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8,529
Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
As politely and kindly as I can, your perception is very very far off. I don't want to minimize your opinions or forum contributions, but this is a case where having a longer perspective and understanding of the older and highly active posters would be helpful.
My apologies if I assumed wrongly here on party affiliation, but my point on how the GOP has evolved is certainly a causality of how to political discourse, not only in this forum, but throughout the whole internet has devolved.
Old 06-08-20, 04:05 PM
  #43  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,568
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Responding to your example, I think it depends on the underlying argument. If someone voiced opposition to affirmative action because they donít think it helps historically disadvantaged minorities or that there are more effective ways to help them, I think healthy discussion would ensue. At the other end, if someone claimed disadvantaged groups didnít deserve help, they would likely get mobbed. In the middle, if someone questioned something like whether historic oppression translated into a current disadvantage, I think the civility would vary, at least at the outset. The level of discourse is going to be healthier when there is some level of shared values underlying it. When the sense of that is stripped away, people get more aggressive.

I think thatís part of the problem with Trumpís polarization of the country. He is transparent in his disdain for many things both sides at least used to pay lip service to as shared values. When someone enthusiastically supports him, I personally question how many values we could have in common. It feels like a discussion with them is on a strained faultline that could let go at any moment.

To the broader topic, Iíve certainly shifted far to the left over the two decades Iíve been here. Hell, if my 22-year-old self was here, thereís a high probability heíd be a snarky, own-the-libtards Trump apologist. Meeting and listening to people unlike myself, both virtually and in real life, has caused me to re-examine my beliefs and change many of them significantly. I think the changes are for the better, but I also hope that 20 years from now, Iím able to look back and see continued growth. I feel like a decent percentage of our community has that same thirst to learn and adapt, even if we can be a bit of an echo chamber these days.

I purposefully chose AA because some of the now more liberal and anti-trump posters were in fact opposed to AA in college admissions due to fairness. Now, I of course could be forgetting some details, but remembering what I do from those topics, I don't think the discussion could be had here today.

I agree with your point about your shift leftward. I would like to point out that the issue broached by wenders is far larger than trump. Admittedly he amplifies it immensely, but this would be a problem even with a President Kasich or Rubio, and most certainly with a President Paul or Cruz.
Old 06-08-20, 04:36 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 22,539
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Could you give some examples, because I haven't since any of what you say in any of the threads here.
Yea, I've never seen any "policing" on here, beyond

More often, people go away because their viewpoints don't hold up and they get frustrated, and then follow that up with doubling-down on their delusions.
Old 06-08-20, 04:37 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by atrium View Post
I see what wendersfan is saying, and it's gone past the point of alienating Trump supporters and Republicans. We now have Left leaning posters actively trying to police what should and shouldn't be discussed in a concerted effort to eliminate any honest intention discussion that paints the Left in a slightly negative light, or would allegedly contribute to a Trump victory.
To be fair, there's a lot of bad faith actors online. Concern trolls, people who masquerade as being of a political persuasion but are really trying to sow discord, etc. So it's easier for these legit left-leaning people to view any criticism of their side as something that will have a negative impact on society as a whole. I remember when the Attacks on Minorities thread was busy. One poster would go out of their way to post stories about black men committing crimes and make sure a giant mug shot was included. It's obvious what they're trying to do. And then there would be the drive-by posts. If you took their post in good faith and responded to it politely...no response back.

In regards to the discussing issues with conservatives, I've always tried to see things from their point-of-view, as I myself am more on the moderate side of things. But most of the conservatives I've discussed things within the last few years don't really want to discuss things. Of course that's not ALL conservatives. I'm just talking about my experiences. But it's not unlike what you hear from the conservative YouTube personalities masquerading as Free Speech Warriors, "Classical Liberals", Libertarians, etc. Most conservatives I know seem to parrot the SAME arguments and opinions that Trump/Hannity/Levin/Shapiro etc. Some of the people I talk to seem too intelligent to actually believe that. So I'm left to conclude that they think they know that much of what Trump is doing is bad, but they simply believe that the ends justify the means. Anything to keep a Democrat out of the White House. It's like rhetorical slight of hand.
Criticism of the Bush Administration/Iraq Invasion="Why do you hate America?"
Criticism of the Obama Administration/Support for the Tea Party="Dissent is Patriotic"

Dixie Chicks criticizing Bush overseas/Kaepernick silent, peaceful protest="How dare they!" "Boycott them!" "Boycott the NFL!"
Criticizing hate speech="That's fascist! They want to shut down the free market of ideas!!!"

Trump is the ultimate boogeyman. The left is so afraid of him re-winning election that they've basically become the mirror of his fanbase. Cultish groupthinkers who reject anyone who doesn't 100% buy in. This isn't the only site on the internet where I'm seeing it.
The argument though is that the lack of full-on support for the opposition to Trump resulted in his victory. If people would have supported Hillary more passionately instead of criticizing her as not living up to Democratic/Progressive ideals, maybe she would have won. I can see that argument when it applies to social media where you have hundreds and thousands of followers, and your opinion is magnified and you become an "influencer." But on a small forum like this? I've brought that up and people have said that even here, this forum can be influential with lurkers and people reading it from just googling something we're discussing. But then, what's the point of discussing things if you're fear is that your legitimate opinions and concerns may have an unintended negative affect on the election or society in general? I support Biden completely, but I don't want to just cheerlead for him here and minimize any single bit of criticism that he receives. If I wanted to do that, I'd join his campaign.
Old 06-08-20, 04:45 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I understand your point here, but still that's a fair discussion. Even John Oliver brought it up on his show last night because fear mongerers like Tucker Carlson are jumping on the phrase, misleading his viewers of what it truly means, which it isn't to break up the police, it's simply to reduce the funding for things like settlements, military grade weapons, kill trainings, etc. On our end of the spectrum, we are educated enough to understand the difference and the definition of the phrase, but when Trump and his cronies basis of marketing is fear mongering, it's understandable why some are cautious about using that slogan as a marketing phrase for the election. Remember, one of the reasons the Dems lost in 2016 was "because of her emails".
But isn't that like telling black Americans or other groups "how to protest?" I get the concerns from a political strategy perspective. Trump and the rest will seize on it. But if for example, a segment of black folks are saying "Defund the Police!" is it okay to say, "hey, you guys shouldn't be saying that. You're going are to hurt Biden's chances. The right is going to jump on this and run with it. Shhh, okay?"
Old 06-08-20, 05:11 PM
  #47  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,303
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Now I really regret making what ended up being the OP in this thread. All I was trying to do was a bit of meta commentary on the evolution of this place, and why. Yeah, it's gotten worse under Trump but the rot was starting before that.
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Exactly. My perception from the OP is that he's throwing grievances of how this forum has evolved without considering how his party (I'm assuming Republican/conservative) has evolved.


Not really.
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
As politely and kindly as I can, your perception is very very far off.
I do believe I've been mistaken for a socialist, conservative, bleeding heart liberal, 'Obamaton', and pretty much every other political label under the sun during my time posting here.
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I, for one, was just thinking about wendersfan last month when coronavirus stuff was going on. I am a "don't believe it until I see some numbers" type of person most of the time (I consider myself an atheist and a skeptic first and foremost), and I missed his professional grade graphing skills. Stats and data are really important right now with the coronavirus stuff going on.
I actually wrote a script a couple of months ago that pulls the daily stats from a source and then runs graphs for each state. The reason I haven't posted them is because I am not all that confident in state-by-state reporting methods being accurate or consistent.
Old 06-08-20, 05:19 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 31,106
Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

And... I was fine dealing with different opinions, I'm not fine dealing with different "facts" or "truths". If you couldn't change or at least impact people's opinions 20 years ago, good luck doing it now in a world mostly absent of logic, reason and critical thinking.
Old 06-08-20, 05:56 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,369
Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
To the broader topic, Iíve certainly shifted far to the left over the two decades Iíve been here. Hell, if my 22-year-old self was here, thereís a high probability heíd be a snarky, own-the-libtards Trump apologist. Meeting and listening to people unlike myself, both virtually and in real life, has caused me to re-examine my beliefs and change many of them significantly. I think the changes are for the better, but I also hope that 20 years from now, Iím able to look back and see continued growth. I feel like a decent percentage of our community has that same thirst to learn and adapt, even if we can be a bit of an echo chamber these days.
Ha, true. I was rather reactionary-conservative in some of my views when I was in my teens (years before I joined here), and have moved increasingly further to the left (or lower-left, to be more precise) in the intervening years. Funny thing is, a favourite slogan some conservatives (usually fiscal, and socially tolerant, as are so ubiquitous among the middle classes) like to trot out is, "If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 40, you have no brain". Little do they realize, it's a much more revealingly uncomplimentary expression than it is a clever, flattering one.
You're right, much of what informs one's opinions on sundry topics depends on one's own specific life circumstances (good or bad) and continued exposure - or lack thereof - to disparate peoples and their particular circumstances. Exposure is the best disinfectant of bigotry and misunderstanding. Banishing one's ignorance is never a bad thing, and that is neither a liberal nor conservative phenomenon. (Though conservatives are, by definition, less open-minded.) There isn't a person on the planet, even the most educated one, who can claim to be the arbiter of all that is right and wrong. With those ideologically munificent, mealy-mouthed espousals out of the way, there's just no denying that Trump is one of the sorriest sacks of sociopathic shit in alliterative existence.
Old 06-08-20, 06:33 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 14,163
Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Why and How We Engage in "Religion, Politics and World Events" (and Beyond)

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well, I used to be much more involved here, but I grew old and wise and figured out that arguing on the internet is mostly a waste of time. In a word, I'm too old for this shit.
You're smart, I seemed to go the opposite way. I rarely posted in the politics forum in my earlier days, but have done more so in recent years, especially after Trump was running. Not sure why I need the extra stress, but here I am!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.