Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Will Donald Trump go down as the worst President in history of US?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Will Donald Trump go down as the worst President in history of US?
Yes.
82.76%
No.
13.79%
Other, please specify?
1.38%
What are you high?
2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-20, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

**also, made votes anonymous just in case. Sometimes sensitive and I honestly don’t like talking politics with anyone, but felt the need to rant a bit.**

I know we’ve had some winners. Nixon and Watergate. Hoover was Pres during Great Depression. But, as a person, as a leader, as the President of arguably the most influential and powerful country in the world, has he been just the absolute worst?

Imo, he is no leader and doesn’t have an original thought or original sentence or use words with more than one syllable, ever. He tweets rants against former Presidents. He gets into Twitter wars with whoever, on Twitter! Stars, government, health, mostly anyone he sees fit. I’ve never seen so much turnover, so much ineptness, so much idiocracy in my life. I’m sorry, but that’s my opinion. I know there have been some positives, some good #’s until this pandemic. I’m not denying. But, as a whole, with what’s going on now, #45 of 45.

Will he rank as worst and if not, who would rank (as of now), as the worst President in the history of America?
Old 05-17-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Will Donald Trump go down as the worst President in history of US?

Yes. Yes, he will. The only way he won't be judged the worst president of all time in every conceivable reality is if he somehow wins reelection, continues to destroy the Constitution, and is declared Supreme Leader - giving him the power to rewrite history as he sees fit.
Old 05-17-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Republican Steve Schmidt thinks so. He makes the pertinent distinction that not only is Trump easily the worst, it is a consequential one. I take that to mean he believes (as I have) that Trump will represent a substantial cleaving point in the country's history.

Old 05-17-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't voted in the poll, but it depends upon who will be judging his presidency. I think he's the worst, but I'm not the best judge because there are some who I thought were very good presidents but don't fare as well in rankings.
Old 05-17-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He may not be the worst president of the 21st century.
Old 05-17-20, 06:37 PM

Wow. Landslide so far. Like in November.
Old 05-17-20, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Whether Trump wins or loses this upcoming election, his presidency will represent an inflection point for this country the likes of which I don't think has happened in mine or my parents lifetimes.
Old 05-17-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That I definitely agree with.
Old 05-17-20, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Whether Trump wins or loses this upcoming election, his presidency will represent an inflection point for this country the likes of which I don't think has happened in mine or my parents lifetimes.
if he wins, we lose.
Old 05-17-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

He'll go down as having really screwed up the handling of this pandemic, I think. And for having some sort of personality disorder (narcissism? Idk--I'm not a shrink, but there is something so off about him).
Old 05-17-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 109 Posts

Historians have already weighed in. Trump is the worst in history.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8218721.html
Old 05-17-20, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 405 Likes on 304 Posts

History books and documentaries will probably be much nicer and refer to Trump's tenure as a "troubled" or "tumultuous" presidency.

Old 05-17-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 208 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm curious which president is considered worse by whomever voted 'no' in the poll. Nixon? Trump's crimes has made Watergate look like peanuts by comparison. Or is it Obama, because that's what Fox News told them?
Old 05-17-20, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Worst to this point, yeah. I can see it still getting worse down the road as divided as the country is right now.
Old 05-17-20, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it will come down to how much permanent damage he did. Like James Buchanan, who at this point I think was worse for our country, he may have torn us apart. But I donít think his decisions will lead to a civil war, so he is 99.999% as bad as Buchanan. Hopefully, he doesnít gain that last .001%

Edit... I forgot about Woodrow Wilson. He Is the worst president as he caused our imperialism, caused racism in hiring in the us government for 60 years, and he caused us to enter wwi. I could say more, but he is much, much worse.
Old 05-17-20, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 160 Likes on 120 Posts

Wilson and Grant are the two that most frequently get tossed around as the worst prior to Trump.
Old 05-17-20, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wilson was horrifically racist, but to say he “caused” our imperialism is to ignore the Monroe Doctrine, the Mexican American War, the Spanish American War, and the policies of just about every 19th century president. Look at what Commodore Perry did in Japan under the orders of Millard Fillmore, for example.
Old 05-17-20, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Wilson and Grant are the two that most frequently get tossed around as the worst prior to Trump.
By whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States
Old 05-17-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't vote because of Bush. I could go either way currently. Will probably end up saying Trump even if he's a one termer but Bush was ehh pretty fucking bad.
Old 05-18-20, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So far I'd say Bush jr. was far worse for our country than Trump has been, but that could change if Trump remains president for another 4.
Old 05-18-20, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the question is rather generous. Has there ever been any leader of any regular democracy that was as bad as Trump?
Old 05-18-20, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

You're forgetting Warren Harding and Andrew Jackson. And all of the know-nothings like Fillmore from the 1840s-50s. They did things that are far worse than anything Trump has ever done. Mass killing Indians, anyone? Wilson also enacted the immigration hard limits and other presidents of the 1910s-1930s supported positive eugenics and forced sterilization. Things Trump could never do, right?

Harding was a drunkard and a womanizer. Makes Trump look like a saint.

Trump certainly isn't 45 of 45, but for those with short memories, perhaps.

But, of *modern* presidents, I agree Trump is at the bottom. Nixon was a great orator compared to Trump. I think Nixon has been badly maligned because Watergate, Watergate, but he actually did *some* positive things, and could form a coherent sentence, unlike Trump.
Old 05-18-20, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Trump is a shitty human being and shitty Presisent,but if you look at most of the the policy he has enacted,he is no different then any other generic Republican President would have been. His handling of the Pandemic is awful,but it still hasn't matched the long term disasterous effects of Bush Jr's Foreign Polcy or the Bipartisan selling out of the American people to Corporate America and Wall Street. He is just saying verbalizing the quiet parts out loud(IE politicians being treated and thinking they are above the law,racism) that have always existed
Old 05-18-20, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Worst to this point, yeah. I can see it still getting worse down the road as divided as the country is right now.
That division always existed,the social media landscape has just magnified it. The Tomi's,Karen's, and Alt Right Bro's,Angry Incel's,Problematic Cops etc were alive and breathing before Trump they just weren't as emboldened and in previous era's were just outta sight outta mind and most white people probably thought it was just a few bad apples here and there.
Old 05-18-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 330 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Trump is a shitty human being and shitty Presisent,but if you look at most of the the policy he has enacted,he is no different then any other generic Republican President would have been. His handling of the Pandemic is awful,but it still hasn't matched the long term disasterous effects of Bush Jr's Foreign Polcy or the Bipartisan selling out of the American people to Corporate America and Wall Street. He is just saying verbalizing the quiet parts out loud(IE politicians being treated and thinking they are above the law,racism) that have always existed
Even if that's so, he's contributed personally to dividing the nation like never before (which I don't ever remember a standing President doing), he's standardized tweeting as a means to communicate his displeasure, he's removed whatever decorum the office has held in the past, he's split the media into "his side" and "fake news", he has seemingly lowered the opinions of most foreign countries concerning the US, and he's stood in the face of blatant cronyism, nepotism, and outright corruption and gone on as business as usual. Even if you're correct that this was all happening beneath the covers before, he's certainly normalized it.

If you take just a fraction of his tweets and put it as official communications under any other President it would be a massive scandal.

Add this to his response to the pandemic and you have an event that, while not a World War or massive conflict, has already resulted in the deaths of many Americans and probably the collapse of the economy, and I think you have a "winner." I'm actually very very curious how history books will handle this (and if there will be different books for some parts of America).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.