Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Will the Union survive Trump?

Old 09-19-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will the Union survive Trump?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The last time a coalition of states decided to secede because the government was interfering with their rights, they were contiguous states. Your plan might not turn out as well as it did for them.
Im talking about dividing the country into three.

Hawaii might want to join the west coast.
Old 09-19-20, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

We have been in deep shit since 9/11 and its not gonna get better.
Old 09-20-20, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

The last time a coalition of states decided to secede because the government was interfering with their rights, they were contiguous states. Your plan might not turn out as well as it did for them.
In hindsight, we should have just let them secede, and cut off that idiot tail we've been dragging around ever since.

Old 09-20-20, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Putin wants a civil war, ands he has been doing everything so far- short of a live fire terrorist attack - to facilitate it.

Actually, what he has been doing is laying the groundwork, prepping the battlefield by amplifying racial and cultural provocations.
In the other thread I supposed what would happen if he escalated to actually harming his candidate (Trump)'s opponents.

I was realizing tonight how he got into power himself

The Russian apartment bombings were a series of explosions that hit four apartment blocks in the Russian cities of Buynaksk, Moscow and Volgodonsk in September 1999, killing more than 300, injuring more than 1000, and spreading a wave of fear across the country. Vladimir Putin's handling of the crisis boosted his popularity greatly and helped him attain the presidency within a few months.

According to David Satter, Yuri Felshtinsky, Alexander Litvinenko, Vladimir Pribylovsky, Boris Kagarlitsky and Amy Knight, the bombings were coordinated by the Russian state security services to bring Putin into the presidency.This view was justified by a number of suspicious events, most notably, the Ryazan incident.

Former agent Alexander Litvinenko, who blamed FSB for the bombings in two books, was poisoned by FSB agents in London in 2006.
Kind of reminds me of how Barr and Trump have created ANTIFA out of whole cloth as a 2020 election year bogeyman ala the migrant caravans of 2018.

ANITFA became an excuse to gas peaceful protestors, shoot journalists with rubber bullets, and generally engage in thuggish displays of force

Funny then, that some of the offenders as far as rioting and destruction, or attempted violence, were actually proven to be white supremacist related actors hoping to start a race war.
There is a huge pool of homegrown talent to pull from if bad actors wanted to escalate things to a mass casualty event- for the purpose of pinning it on the left before the election.

In fact, if there was any movement toward something like this, a DNI briefing blackout for a few weeks might come in handy.

Sorry that all preceding has probably come across as scattershot.

And I hate to give voice to this kind of ugly shit, but I wonder how many people realize what Trump is capable of condoning or profiting from? How many are prepared for the epic deviltry that is absolutely going to go down over the next few months?

His earlier mentor was uber-scumbag Roy Cohn. His current fave peers are politicians who have no qualms butchering their critics and opponents. Trump is a monster and his view of his own supporters is that they are "disgusting people he is happy he no longer has to shake hands" because of the virus. He's already contributed to the deaths of more than 200,000 people. I'm sure a few hundred of his supporters wouldn't be anything to break his stride.
Being the narcissist that he is, he'd probably think they'd appreciate giving their lives to help him attain a second term and consolidate power for generations in the hands of the mob that owns him and the rest of the GOP.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 09-20-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-20-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Putin wants a civil war, ands he has been doing everything so far- short of a live fire terrorist attack - to facilitate it.

Actually, what he has been doing is laying the groundwork, prepping the battlefield by amplifying racial and cultural provocations.
In the other thread I supposed what would happen if he escalated to actually harming his candidate (Trump)'s opponents.

I was realizing tonight how he got into power himself
Let me guess, it was Putin that encouraged and supported the race-based brutality in law enforcement all these years. The protests that resulted were also fueled by Putin. The moral and social decline in this country is doing just fine by itself without the help of Putin.

This "Russian under every rock and behind every case of post nasal drip" mindset gives Russia too much credit and removes any accountability for the guilty here. But for those "enlightened ones" in the twitterverse, this country would be totally bamboozled and at the mercy of Putin, right?

Yes, Russian money is definitely influencing people who have power... and it IS as simple as that.... well money and memes, can't forget the memes.

This is in essence no different than QAnon. I'll call it, RAnon.
Old 09-20-20, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Let me guess, it was Putin that encouraged and supported the race-based brutality in law enforcement all these years. The protests that resulted were also fueled by Putin. The moral and social decline in this country is doing just fine by itself without the help of Putin.

This "Russian under every rock and behind every case of post nasal drip" mindset gives Russia too much credit and removes any accountability for the guilty here. But for those "enlightened ones" in the twitterverse, this country would be totally bamboozled and at the mercy of Putin, right?

Yes, Russian money is definitely influencing people who have power... and it IS as simple as that.... well money and memes, can't forget the memes.

This is in essence no different than QAnon. I'll call it, RAnon.
And as everyone knows, RAnon is a like a cat in the dark and then it is the darkness.
Old 09-21-20, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Anything short of a 70/30 lose for Trump, and the he is likely to try something major.
Here's the problem. If the election is too close Trump can claim there was just enough fraud to put Biden over the edge. If it's a blowout for Biden, Trump can claim there's something fishy going on with a margin that far exceeds usual election norms. 70/30 is too big. Has to be in the sweet spot where Trump can claim neither.
Old 09-21-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Will the Union survive Trump?
I have concluded that it will not.

The damage being done is a symptom of much larger issues below the surface. America is over, democracy is over. This never ending two party struggle for power will end this country as we know it. Viewed at arms length from a common sense perspective, COVID, the debt, the refusal to do any work expect that which serves their own purpose (Senate) is all ending our freedom. Even those who think they have freedom are blind when they are being used as pawns.

It was a good 233 years.
Old 09-21-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 466 Posts

I honestly don't think it will survive either, but not just because of Trump. America has been on the decline for many years now, it's just that Trump and the pandemic threw a lot more fuel on the fire that had been already burning, and greatly accelerated that decline. All the weaknesses were already present, it's just that the current administration plus the pandemic knocked the wheels clear off the bus.

Old 09-21-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 642 Likes on 499 Posts

Russia and China are going to go in for the kill.
Old 09-21-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Oh absolutely, they are loving this and the US is playing right into their hands. We're fucked unless things change fast.
Old 09-21-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 141 Posts

I can't see things getting better, they will either stay the same or get worse with my money on the latter. When you have 45% of the country voting for someone like Trump, I just don't see how we can ever get back to the way things were.
Old 09-22-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I can't see things getting better, they will either stay the same or get worse with my money on the latter. When you have 45% of the country voting for someone like Trump, I just don't see how we can ever get back to the way things were.

If Trump is re-elected, the only response to "we're better than this" is... "no we're not". And I think that people of all political persuasions are feeling the changes, resulting in them pulling and tugging to keep whatever remains of what they value.

Cynicism untethered to reality is impossible to overcome.
Old 09-22-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 778 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Oh, foo. Russia has an economy the size of Italy's. The only reason they're dangerous is because we aren't defending against their skillful propaganda. I never would have expected that they would infiltrate the NRA. If the government were paying attention to that instead of Mexican caravans, we would be fine.

China doesn't want to kill us, because who else would buy all their manufactured goods? What would happen to the trillions of dollars that they've invested in Wall Street? We are the two largest economies in the world. We are tied together, and if one sinks the other will drown. We have to make them enforce intellectual property laws, but that can be handled with an ordinary treaty between competitors.
Old 09-26-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grim Reaper: So much winning.
China: So much winning.

Trump and U.S. in COVID-19 Crisis is 'Like Watching The Decline of The Roman Empire': Canadian Mayor at Newsweek.com

Witnessing the Trump administration attempt to handle the COVID-19 pandemic in a tense election year is akin to watching the fall of the Roman Empire, a Canadian mayor has said.

Mike Bradley, the mayor of Sarnia, a city neighboring Michigan known for its petrochemical industry, told The New York Times: "Personally, it's like watching the decline of the Roman Empire." The fall of the 500-year-old superstate in 476 AD is widely considered to mark the start of the Middle Ages, also known as the Dark Ages, in Europe.

Bradley's comments were published alongside those of other politicians as well as experts from around the world concerned by the situation the superpower has found itself in.

In an article titled, 'I Feel Sorry for Americans': A Baffled World Watches the U.S., U Aung Thu Nyein, a political analyst in Myanmar, told the newspaper: "The U.S.A. is a first-world country but it is acting like a third-world country."
Old 09-26-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a good run while it lasted. To quote an incredible asshole who shoulders much of the blame for this: sad.
Old 09-26-20, 03:37 PM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Oh, foo. Russia has an economy the size of Italy's. The only reason they're dangerous is because we aren't defending against their skillful propaganda. I never would have expected that they would infiltrate the NRA. If the government were paying attention to that instead of Mexican caravans, we would be fine.

China doesn't want to kill us, because who else would buy all their manufactured goods? What would happen to the trillions of dollars that they've invested in Wall Street? We are the two largest economies in the world. We are tied together, and if one sinks the other will drown. We have to make them enforce intellectual property laws, but that can be handled with an ordinary treaty between competitors.

Even then, russia's propaganda efforts, while no doubt real and concerning, have been exaggerated. They are incompetent. Only their internal situation allows them be anything more than Portugal, for example.

China is far closer to "collapse" than the US as well. Sorry, but the country will not only survive trump, but will continue for all of our lives as the World's only true superpower.
Old 09-26-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post

Even then, russia's propaganda efforts, while no doubt real and concerning, have been exaggerated. They are incompetent. Only their internal situation allows them be anything more than Portugal, for example.

China is far closer to "collapse" than the US as well. Sorry, but the country will not only survive trump, but will continue for all of our lives as the World's only true superpower.
The idea that we will be the "only true superpower" for the rest of our lives is a ridiculous statement. We're not even the only "true superpower" currently.

Also, you and Nick grossly misconstrue the objectives of China and Russia if you're thinking in terms of them "conquering" us.

GOP delenda est
Old 09-26-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"For all of our lives"? I wish I shared your optimism but in this case I most certainly do not. That kind of thinking is dangerous right now, the US is acting too complacent about all of this.
Old 09-26-20, 05:13 PM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The idea that we will be the "only true superpower" for the rest of our lives is a ridiculous statement. We're not even the only "true superpower" currently.

Also, you and Nick grossly misconstrue the objectives of China and Russia if you're thinking in terms of them "conquering" us.

GOP delenda est

I certainly don't think they want to "conquer" us. But who else is currently a superpower? China is not, so I am perplexed.

Also, the rest of our lives isn't that long of a time, speaking as I was to the members of this forum.
Old 09-26-20, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I certainly don't think they want to "conquer" us. But who else is currently a superpower? China is not, so I am perplexed.

Also, the rest of our lives isn't that long of a time, speaking as I was to the members of this forum.
How do you define a superpower? I think given the size of China's economy, technological and military capabilities, and influence on other countries, it qualifies. Certainly they have the ability to prevent us from exerting our influence within their sphere.

GOP delenda est
Old 09-26-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

And they certainly can and have been exercising quite a bit of influence on American corporations.
Old 09-27-20, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I am not sure the union will survive 2020.
Old 01-09-21, 03:53 PM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread given the attempted coup in the Capitol this week. At this point I believe I will see the destruction of the United States democracy within my lifetime. We are just at a point where I don't think we can come back from. There are 2 truths in this country. One is real and the other is a bed of conspiracy theories and lies. There may still be a thing called the United States of America, but the country I was born into is going to be lost I think.

Sometimes events just spiral out of control and it's more than one person or even a group of people can stop. It took more than a century for the Roman Republic to fall. I think we are on the fast track.
Old 01-09-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How do you define a superpower?
According to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, a superpower is

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.