Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Stimulus Checks

Old 04-13-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Stimulus Checks

I heard on the radio this morning that some people have reported receiving the Stimulus Check from the government. Have YOU?

I have not yet.
Old 04-13-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Stimulus Checks

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that some people have reported receiving the Stimulus Check from the government. Have YOU?

I have not yet.
I haven't yet, but my ex, SSG Honeylamb, was here a while ago for lunch and she said hers was in her bank account this morning.

EDITED TO ADD that I read last week that Wednesday was the day a lot of them would be processed.
Old 04-13-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

Nope. Before my job was put on hold, my salary was about 50K per year, so I qualified for it. Still waiting.
Old 04-13-20, 01:50 PM
Admin

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not holding my breath for a check. I still have steady income, so this money isn't as necessary for me as it is to others. I plan to donate a lot of it to the local food bank here.
Old 04-13-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 166 Likes on 116 Posts

Nothing here yet.
Old 04-13-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing yet. We should get the $1200 x 2 plus the kid bonus. I'm on a very limited work load right now, with equally lighter pay, so we need it.
Old 04-13-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were talking on the radio this morning as if everyone would get one. So I had to double check.

For filing single you will get $1,200 if your gross was up to $75,000. Then faded to zero at $99,000.

I still don’t get this. Those amounts were for previous years, not now. I guess the assumption is those who had made more saved a little even if out of work now. But if it’s a “stimulus” check, then it should be given to the maximum amount of people to spend.
Old 04-13-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Nothing yet. We might get slightly less since the wife got some nice contract work this past year that pushed our income up.
Old 04-13-20, 03:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
They were talking on the radio this morning as if everyone would get one. So I had to double check.

For filing single you will get $1,200 if your gross was up to $75,000. Then faded to zero at $99,000.

I still donít get this. Those amounts were for previous years, not now. I guess the assumption is those who had made more saved a little even if out of work now. But if itís a ďstimulusĒ check, then it should be given to the maximum amount of people to spend.
How do you measure means by the current calendar year

There is also a somewhat* finite amount of monies available. And money is generally less stimulative as you move up the income ladder.

*Unproven MMT aside.
Old 04-13-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "pending" notification from my bank. It looks like I'm getting it by Wednesday.
Old 04-13-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When are people on Social Security getting their checks?
Old 04-13-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have mine yet, but I believe that I should qualify for the full amount for 2 people and 3 children. I actually took a new position at the beginning of March for significantly more money and I'm lucky enough that I'm still working and getting paid weekly, so I'm actually doing really well week to week at the moment. I have a lot of debt though, so my plan is to put it all toward that. So I won't be stimulating the economy so much, but it will be very useful to me.
Old 04-13-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 241 Likes on 191 Posts

I still don’t get this. Those amounts were for previous years, not now. I guess the assumption is those who had made more saved a little even if out of work now. But if it’s a “stimulus” check, then it should be given to the maximum amount of people to spend.
Don't get the Californians started on cost of living and how antiquated these income limits are.

But this isn't to replace your income if you're out of work, that's what the expanded unemployment and extra 600 a week is for. This is just spending money, so nobody's going to cry if someone making six figures doesn't get an extra 1200 bucks to spend, fairness aside.
Old 04-13-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I still donít get this. Those amounts were for previous years, not now. I guess the assumption is those who had made more saved a little even if out of work now. But if itís a ďstimulusĒ check, then it should be given to the maximum amount of people to spend.
My god you should see the cost of living here!

These income limits are so antiquated
Old 04-13-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
When are people on Social Security getting their checks?
On MSNBC I heard that Social Security recipients will get their's starting the end of April.
Old 04-13-20, 03:50 PM
Admin

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
My god you should see the cost of living here!

These income limits are so antiquated
Hey man, $1200 can get you through at least 10 days of rent or mortgage.
Old 04-13-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Nothing yet. But I file my US taxes by mail. so god knows how long it will take them to send out physical checks.
Old 04-13-20, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Nope, and no pending notice from BOA yet. My tax refunds processed via Turbotax went straight into my BOA account so I know I will not be receiving a live/paper check.
Old 04-13-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

Nothing pending, but if there is a way I won’t get it, that’s what I am counting on. My kids are all college students that I am still supporting, but they are over 18. Won’t get anything for them. One of them might get it since she has worked and filed tax returns.

Looked at the extra $600/week for unemployment ... It doesn’t look like I will get that since I was already unemployed before March 29.

Looking into trying to recoup some of my 1099 work that is gone for the summer ... the PPP (SBA) program is fakakta and the unemployment benefits they claim are available are a myth for now.

Add to that I managed to get all of one day of substitute teaching in before the schools closed ... this is all just getting insulting!

At least I have some work on the horizon ... though I keep waiting for something to happen there.
Old 04-13-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reads today checks are being issued by lowest income first. Since everyone on here makes at lest 100 grand a year might be a while.

Link
Old 04-13-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

I've gotta say it's amusing to see people online in fevered speculation about when the checks will come, some of them the same ones who criticize recipients of public assistance as lazy and undeserving.

PS and before the wolf pack assembles to rip me to shreds, I am talking more about Facebook and Twitter and news site comment threads than here.
Old 04-13-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 241 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Nothing pending, but if there is a way I wonít get it, thatís what I am counting on. My kids are all college students that I am still supporting, but they are over 18. Wonít get anything for them. One of them might get it since she has worked and filed tax returns.

Looked at the extra $600/week for unemployment ... It doesnít look like I will get that since I was already unemployed before March 29.

Looking into trying to recoup some of my 1099 work that is gone for the summer ... the PPP (SBA) program is fakakta and the unemployment benefits they claim are available are a myth for now.

Add to that I managed to get all of one day of substitute teaching in before the schools closed ... this is all just getting insulting!

At least I have some work on the horizon ... though I keep waiting for something to happen there.
Your unemployment should automatically get the extra 600 if you're currently getting it. It won't get backdated,though. It may be that your state is somehow still not ready.

My bank has been down all day (maybe people checking their stimulus money) but I finally got to log in and I see it postdated for 4/15. So if it is by income it's getting up there since I live in CA.
Old 04-13-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

My EDD card came in today. Got my payment, plus the extra $600 for 1 week. Another week is still processing.
Old 04-13-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is out there, not posted yet on my account. It has a post due date of 4/15/20.

Description:IRS TREAS 310 ACH WAREHOUSE ACH Deposit (Pending)
Old 04-13-20, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Your unemployment should automatically get the extra 600 if you're currently getting it. It won't get backdated,though. It may be that your state is somehow still not ready.

My bank has been down all day (maybe people checking their stimulus money) but I finally got to log in and I see it postdated for 4/15. So if it is by income it's getting up there since I live in CA.
I was hoping, but that is not how I read it on the Illinois website (which is clear as mud).

https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/IDES%...Q-Claimant.pdf
How will the federal stimulus legislation affect Illinois unemployment benefits?

Individuals receiving unemployment benefits beginning the week of March 29, 2020, will receive an additional $600 each week above what they would receive in regular unemployment benefits until the week ending on July 25, 2002. Pursuant to the federal legislation, this $600 will not be retroactively applied to unemployment claims that arose prior to March 29, 2020.
Kind of crappy ... Since this is supposed to be a stimulus package, not specifically a pandemic package. Still, any job prospects or significant job hunting is shot to hell by the pandemic anyway. I have an offer for the fall, but am still hunting.

I’m getting by from my regular UI and savings, but this would have helped give some breathing room. After months of that, I guess I don’t need it as much as somebody who just lost their job. Particularly a kick in the balls since all my additional contract work for the rest of the year is now gone also.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.