Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Are you nervous about the coronavirus? [Merged]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Are you nervous about the coronavirus?
Yes.
51.85%
No.
32.10%
Other (please specify...)
13.58%
What are you high?
2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-20, 10:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I know there is the big one with detailed thoughts, but wanted to include a poll. Simply, are you remotely concerned? personally, Iím not really concerned. Nothing in my area yet. Yet, stores are crazy. Today was insane. Someone stole a spot. On the 45min lines, someone said ďhope someone doesnít cough.Ē Itís paranoia and craziness I think. I work with kids and adults who are disgusting and virus traps, but Iím fine.
You?
Old 03-12-20, 10:14 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
re: Are you nervous about the coronavirus? [Merged]

I'm not very concerned about getting the virus. My main concern is the impact to society and the outright panic going on with a large number of people. My gut says we will be ok, but it's scary watching people go into panic mode and herd mentality. The animal part of the brain takes over and rational thought is out the window.
Old 03-12-20, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

My Dad is 71 and not in the best of health, but he's doing good overall. My Mom just turned 68 a few days ago. I am really more concerned about their well being.

As for me, I'm just barely getting over a really nasty cold that I caught from ironically both of my parents. I know how to take care of myself and what to eat and not eat now that I'm in my 40s. As mentioned countless times, it's being taking care of your personal hygiene and not being a dick and coming to work sick. My main concern is job security right now with so many people in my line of work losing work.
Old 03-12-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

For myself? No. For my almost 94 year old dad, my 85 year old uncle, my friends with health issues, and all the people who are going to lose their jobs and their homes and maybe their lives ... yes.
Old 03-12-20, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really nervous. I am concerned about the reaction to the virus by stupid people like the president.
Old 03-12-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not too concerned about the virus itself. I am concerned about the effect to the economy.
Old 03-12-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yes, I'm nervous. Until there is testing available to get a handle on the scope and breadth of the already infected population, we don't know just how bad it's already gotten. Flying blind this way does not instill confidence and calm in me. The medical and human toll as well as economic impact and fallout of this is anyone's guess but I know it won't be pretty or resolved anytime soon.
Old 03-12-20, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

A little for me, a lot for my family. Being in the dark about it fucking sucks.
Old 03-12-20, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Not really worried about this virus for myself (others, yes). But seeing the effects this thing is having on society is scary.
Old 03-12-20, 11:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Im nervous for the health of older family members, not in the least bit nervous for myself or anyone in my generation
Old 03-12-20, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you aren't that concerned or worried yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54wGOSg_BQ

(whistling a little in the graveyard here as there is a fair chance I, and a few close friends I worked and lived with the last couple weeks, contracted it already. Sucks that I don't fit into the profile to qualify for the limited testing though)
Old 03-12-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Worried for my parents and for how the country will survive. We have the worst leaders possible right now. And thatís really really bad.
Old 03-12-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm resigned to the idea that odds are I'll get it. It's everywhere, and the time for social distancing was a month ago. We're shutting the barn door after the horses are long gone. I'm not worried about my long-term health, but I'm not looking forward to being sick.

I'm worried for my dad, who is in his mid 70s, and his wife, who is around 70 and recently had bronchitis.

I'm worried for my friends in the hospitality industry. I know a lot of servers and bartenders, and I think it's going to be a rough month or two for them financially.
Old 03-12-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't going to be over in a month.
Flu season in the southern hemisphere is approaching, and come October, will be back here.

A "new normal" is going to kick in soon for people that will stay with us for quite a while I expect.

Old 03-12-20, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Not personally worried, since I've been living frugally since I started work at age 18 more than 30 years ago, and I can survive this at my age. But, I'm very worried about the country and what this will mean for the future and how lives are run. Remembering 2008, and how that was a pretty bad time for 2-3 years, I'm not looking forward to that again. This basically means that I, who have given up much in terms of frills and luxuries to get to a point where I do not have to worry now, will need to worry and get by with even less in the future, because more of the money that I worked so hard to save, will be taken from me in taxes, in order to support those others who weren't so cautious in their spending habits. It's not a good thing to have to bail others out, when they should have savings accounts for contingencies like this current one.

So, no I do not look forward to that "new normal".
Old 03-12-20, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but then again Iím highly strung so EVERYTHING makes my uneasy
Old 03-13-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I am completely and thoroughly freaked out. I gave notice at work--I was planning on leaving in June, but the thought of dealing with this in a nursing home setting is too much. I can't imagine, and we have no respirators anyway, despite being recommended to get them. I just have to make it a couple more weeks of work, then I'm going full on recluse, limiting my social circle to my husband and my son who still lives with us. I think I'm going to start taking CBD edibles, too, to help me calm the fuck down.
Old 03-13-20, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not worried about my wife or I but I am concerned about my other family members. Mostly I'm more concerned about people doing stupid things in a panic.
Old 03-13-20, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not nervous for my household healthwise. The next six weeks without school for my kids and work for my wife, however, is going to suck as Washington state tries to "flatten the curve."

I am concerned for my mother. She's older and a smoker. However, she is a former nurse who knows how to be safe around pathogens, and she's mostly reclusive, so the deck isn't totally stacked against her.

​​​​​​America will survive. Third world countries and screwed.

Old 03-13-20, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not too nervous as I'm not in the age group that's most affect and I have health insurance. But I don't want to be that rare case either that does get seriously affected by it and dies. I just now have been going shopping to buy disinfectant wipes and sanitizer and that shit is all sold out. Every drug store and supermarket I go to. And I'm hesitant to go shopping in crowded places and have to use self-checkout when you know hundreds of people are all touching those terminals. People breathing down your neck in the check-out line, even though they know Corona virus is out there. I mean I still go shopping, I'm not going to board myself up in my house, but I try to be a little more careful out there.
Old 03-13-20, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

For the duration, I'll shop at 3 am, at whichever stores (Walmart?, much as I don't like Walmart) are open 24-hours. Have basically everything on hand that I need to survive as a recluse isolate for the next 30 days at least.
Old 03-13-20, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m not too concerned yet. I’m somewhat healthy and in my early 40’s. It would be a hardship for me to miss two weeks of work. I keep nothing in the house except for booze and vitamin water. I have a flight to Louisville in three weeks. I’ll be monitoring the situation and decide last minute if I should go.
Old 03-13-20, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not concerned for myself, but I am for my dad who is 81 and also my friend in the Philippines (I was going to be with her last week but the flight was canceled which turned out for the best). She has her own store and they have gotten the virus in her area. She is stressed because she deals with a lot of people, but only because she is worried about giving it to her parents as her dad is ill.

I am cynical about the human animal, (Trump's continued support being a prime a prime example), so I fear that when a crisis comes like this, we will see some pretty awful behavior.
Old 03-13-20, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes.

I'm over 55, I have a history of asthma, and as of my last X-ray I have a collapsed lung. I have had a persistent cough since December. I went to the ER in late December for difficulty breathing.

I have an appointment with my pneumonologist (lung doctor) on Tuesday. I'm glad about that timing. I expect that he's going to overwhelmed for a long time once this disease gets into high gear.

So when people say, "It only affects a small part of the population, it's no worse than the flu for most people," they mean me.
Old 03-13-20, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me personally not really. I mean I'm maybe in a slightly elevated risk group due to medical history, but generally in good enough health I think I can get through it if I get it. More worried about other people in my household. Not to mention the community at large. I think we have a very volatile mix brewing of people who are not taking it seriously enough and reality is going to smack them hard when it hits and people who are way over reacting.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ed-coronavirus

In the end the bulk of the fall out from this is not likely to be what the virus does to us, but what we've done to ourselves because of the virus. The people who have died and are going to die is lamentable, but the longer term effects of the tanking market, jobs lost, lack of real leadership, etc is going to be much wider spread than people being impacted by the virus directly.

Last edited by nemein; 03-13-20 at 07:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.