Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-17-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

I have a question for one or more of our medical folks here. I saw a chart the other day that said the #1 cause of death in the USA in 2021 was cancer, #2 was heart disease (maybe those 2 are reversed, I'm not sure now), and #3 was COVID. My question for you folks is: how many of the cancer and heart disease deaths might have been "excess deaths", and by that I mean deaths of folks who may not have died IF they had been able to get the care they needed at the point when they actually needed. See the post just above this one for an example of what I'm talking about.
Old 05-17-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Well, after over 2 years of being able to avoid it, COVID has gotten a hold of me. Iím triple vaccinated and keep using my mask but people at my work and where I live have stopped caring about the pandemic and no one is following the protocols.

So far, I only have mild symptoms so I hope it stays like this
I got it in January thanks to one of my daughter's friends. It kicked my ass! I missed two weeks of work, and felt pretty bad for another week after that. (I had 3 days of the worst sore throat of my life, too - and I've had Strep a couple times.)

I knew it before, but that just proved that COVID is no joke. My lung power and stamina was diminished for about 6 weeks afterwards.

I'm really hoping that between the vaccination last year and getting it this year that my immune system can fight this thing if I'm exposed again.
Old 05-17-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I got it in January thanks to one of my daughter's friends. It kicked my ass! I missed two weeks of work, and felt pretty bad for another week after that. (I had 3 days of the worst sore throat of my life, too - and I've had Strep a couple times.)

I knew it before, but that just proved that COVID is no joke. My lung power and stamina was diminished for about 6 weeks afterwards.

I'm really hoping that between the vaccination last year and getting it this year that my immune system can fight this thing if I'm exposed again.
I'm on day 3 and so far it has been congestion, fatigue and some body aches, but nothing so bad that I need to go to the hospital. My wife tested positive today but our kids tested negative. Been taking vitamins, aspirin, and drinking fluids constantly to keep symptoms under control. The fatigue is the only thing that has thrown me off as I've been sleeping almost 12 hours each day.
Old 05-17-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I'm on day 3 and so far it has been congestion, fatigue and some body aches, but nothing so bad that I need to go to the hospital. My wife tested positive today but our kids tested negative. Been taking vitamins, aspirin, and drinking fluids constantly to keep symptoms under control. The fatigue is the only thing that has thrown me off as I've been sleeping almost 12 hours each day.
Hopefully it doesn't get much worse. By day 3 it was starting to kick my ass, and on day 4 it cleaned my clock! So maybe you'll avoid a really bad case.

I hope so.
Old 05-17-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I have a question for one or more of our medical folks here. I saw a chart the other day that said the #1 cause of death in the USA in 2021 was cancer, #2 was heart disease (maybe those 2 are reversed, I'm not sure now), and #3 was COVID. My question for you folks is: how many of the cancer and heart disease deaths might have been "excess deaths", and by that I mean deaths of folks who may not have died IF they had been able to get the care they needed at the point when they actually needed. See the post just above this one for an example of what I'm talking about.
So this doesn't get precisely to your question, but from publicly available numbers it looks like:

2020 excess deaths: 522,368
2020 documented COVID deaths: 372,771

2021 excess deaths: 447,923
2021 documented COVID deaths: 474,302

Without thinking too deeply on it, those numbers make sense to me. We know older people and those with preexisting conditions are most susceptible to dying from COVID. Given that, if we had perfect data, we would expect the number of COVID deaths to be higher than the number of excess deaths because some percentage of people who would've died anyway would die from COVID rather than what would've killed them in a non-COVID world.

All of that said, it doesn't really give us much insight into what number of people died from other illnesses because they couldn't get treatment due to COVID patients jamming the system. One of our resident medical professionals could weigh in, but I doubt that hospitals have a way of coding 'this person died from a heart attack but wouldn't have if we'd gotten to them faster.' There might be a way for researchers to eventually estimate that number with a degree of accuracy, but I imagine it would be a monumental task.
Old 05-17-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

NYC moving to "high" alert but mainly because of transmission rates, not hospitalizations/deaths.
Old 05-19-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,219 Posts

News flash. Spraying disinfectant in the air for COVID is a waste.

Old 05-19-22, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,895 Posts

You're supposed to inject it into your body! *

*This message was written for satire purposes only and should not be construed as any sort of a recommendation of a physician or a private citizen.
Old 05-19-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 470 Posts

Why the fuck is China still acting like it's early 2020 in their Covid response?