Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 10-24-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Right, and IIRC isn't that rooted in racism as well?
Anti-hippie sentiment from the late 60s, so not racism, but close.
Old 10-24-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 117 Likes on 101 Posts

If we want to reach herd immunity, we have to include kids. Don’t we?

Last I looked in the US we were just at 57% total pop vaxxed. I know there is a some debate on number or range needed for herd immunity. But none I’ve seen is under 75%. Which to get close to that kids will need to be vaxxed,
Old 10-24-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 558 Likes on 392 Posts

This guy is a fucking clown.

Old 10-24-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 558 Likes on 392 Posts

These anti vax assholes protesting at the Barclay for the idiot in chief Kyrie Irving

Old 10-24-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 876 Likes on 638 Posts

What's funny (ironic, not ha-ha) is that these anti-mask, anti-vax assholes are the same people, who, four decades ago, wanted to send people with HIV and AIDS into leper colonies.
Old 10-25-21, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What's funny (ironic, not ha-ha) is that these anti-mask, anti-vax assholes are the same people, who, four decades ago, wanted to send people with HIV and AIDS into leper colonies.
I literally had to vote on that proposal in California in 1988. My first time voting and that was on the ballot. Totally disgusting.
Old 10-25-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,257 Likes on 930 Posts

Old 10-26-21, 12:11 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

But kids don't get sick from Covid?

Old 10-26-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
But kids don't get sick from Covid?

https://twitter.com/drleanawen/statu...816796165?s=21
Of course they do, but let's keep things in perspective.
Old 10-26-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Those numbers are worse than they ever were for chicken pox, post-antibiotics invention. We vaccinate for chicken pox all the time without hesitation or controversy and we've made a once extremely common disease very rare.
And of course chicken pox won't kill grandma.
Old 10-26-21, 12:56 PM

Received 592 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm sorry, I just don't know what this means.

I have two young children. I am concerned for their safety on all fronts. Physical, spiritual, emotional. As a couple, we have made mitigating risk a top priority in how we parent since day one. We know we cannot prevent all bad things that may happen to our children. Letting go of what we can't control isn't easy, but letting that go helps us pick up what we can control. We can control if they wear bike helmets, if they cross the street, if they have a certain diet, if they learn certain coping strategies, if they have a safe place to share their stories and feelings, if they see themselves as loved by God, if they run and jump off the couch toward the TV, if they wear seat belts, if they hit their friends, if they talk to strangers, if they lie about unloading the dishwasher, if they go in the deep end of the pool, if they tie their shoes before they sprint down the block. We control those things with rules and consequences. Do they always follow the rules? No way. Are there consequences if they don't? Yes. Do they break the rules sometimes, anyway? Yes. Why? They're kids. They're vulnerable. They rely on us to look out for them in ways they are still learning to do for themselves.

What are the chances of something unfortunate happening in any of the cases listed above? There are stats on all of them. And to be honest? I don't know the stats on bicycle-related injuries. But I don't have to know them to know my kids will wear bike helmets. I don't know the stats on children being injured or killed by falling. But I do know we have a rule about jumping on the furniture. I don't know the clinical studies about whether kids who hit other kids grow up into aggressive adults with behavioral problems. But I do know we have a rule that we don't hit. The idea that my children can be a statistic is enough not to scare me but stay on my radar as a concern and that while I can't control it all, I can foster an environment that gives my children more protection, more skills, and more opportunity to stay safe and feel loved.

What are the chances of my children catching COVID-19? Of having a severe case of COVID-19? Of having "long Covid" effects? Of dying of COVID-19? There are stats on all of them. And to be honest? I don't know the stats until someone posts them here. But I don't have to know them to know I want my kids safe. I don't want them to catch this in the first place. I don't want to risk the chance of any of those things. The outcomes of all of those things are out of my control and not just for their immediate health. I have no idea how it could impact their bodies long-term. I have no idea what insurance companies will cook up in one, five, ten years from now about what kind of care the people who get COVID-19 now will get in the future. I have no idea whether getting this virus makes them more susceptible to other or similar viruses coming down the pike. I don't know to what extent they could pass it on to me or others and risk other people's lives. I don't know how it would impact them physically, spiritually, or emotionally. I don't know any of that. No one does. And not knowing that doesn't scare me. It concerns me. And statistics doesn't change that for me, either. I will do what I can do.

What I can do is mitigate risk to the best of my ability. I keep my kids in my own house. They don't go indoors anywhere they don't have to go. Same for we adults. We all mask everywhere. We got our vaccines as soon as we were eligible. They'll get theirs as soon as they're eligible. We'll still be careful for some time to come. We test and test and will continue to test. That mindset is what switches us from "panic mode" to "urgent mode." Panic is when you don't know what to do next. Urgency is when you put the first thing first. Helping my kids not get COVID-19 is an urgent matter for me.

Statistics won't change any of that for me. Because we don't want our kids to be statistics. That is my perspective.
Old 10-26-21, 12:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Those numbers are worse than they ever were for chicken pox, post-antibiotics invention. We vaccinate for chicken pox all the time without hesitation or controversy and we've made a once extremely common disease very rare.
No, Decker (and story).
Not THAT kind of perspective!
/s
Old 10-26-21, 12:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 218 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No, Decker (and story).
Not THAT kind of perspective!
/s
Heh.

Great post, story.
Old 10-26-21, 01:00 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

What perspective? They get infected at the same rate as adults, many need hospitalization (some pediatric hospitals were overflowing 2 months ago), but fewer died? The main push is to get them vaccinated and there is a lot of push-back. What exactly are you looking for?
Old 10-26-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
No where did I say or imply that children shouldn't get vaccinated and who here is saying that kids don't get sick from covid?
Old 10-26-21, 01:13 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

No where did I say or imply that children shouldn't get vaccinated and who here is saying that kids don't get sick from covid?
Then what did you mean by "keep things in perspective"?
Old 10-26-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post

Statistics won't change any of that for me. Because we don't want our kids to be statistics. That is my perspective.
Old 10-26-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 320 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Then what did you mean by "keep things in perspective"?
My question as well. I can only infer that the perspective is 'don't worry so much', and wonder at the point of that statement.
Old 10-26-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
My question as well. I can only infer that the perspective is 'don't worry so much', and wonder at the point of that statement.
Yep, I took the statement as “Yes, kids can get COVID but remember they’re unlikely to die.”
Old 10-26-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not paying attention to the measurement of risk only makes sense when mitigation involves only benefits without costs. But in real life, it's always a trade-off. Vaccination of adults has a very slight risk of side effects that is much lower than the risks from Covid. However, with children the latter is so small that it makes sense to try to determine the numbers carefully. Likewise with masking young children: it's not even clear that there *are* benefits, though there certainly are some costs. But this dumb disease is as politicized as everything else now, so if Team Red is against the vaccine and masking, Team Blue has to automatically do the opposite, evidence or no.
Old 10-26-21, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Not paying attention to the measurement of risk only makes sense when mitigation involves only benefits without costs. But in real life, it's always a trade-off. Vaccination of adults has a very slight risk of side effects that is much lower than the risks from Covid. However, with children the latter is so small that it makes sense to try to determine the numbers carefully. Likewise with masking young children: it's not even clear that there *are* benefits, though there certainly are some costs. But this dumb disease is as politicized as everything else now, so if Team Red is against the vaccine and masking, Team Blue has to automatically do the opposite, evidence or no.
I dunno, I don't feel like I'm politicizing it, but maybe I am putting too much faith in the FDA to determine if the risk of the vaccine to kids is safer than the risk of COVID itself. But I don't know how else to determine it.
Old 10-26-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno, I don't feel like I'm politicizing it, but maybe I am putting too much faith in the FDA to determine if the risk of the vaccine to kids is safer than the risk of COVID itself. But I don't know how else to determine it.
But they will do that by looking at statistics, which story finds bloodless. My point was that's the only way you can really decide.
Old 10-26-21, 03:25 PM

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

But they will do that by looking at statistics, which story finds bloodless. My point was that's the only way you can really decide.

It should be pointed out that there was disagreement within the FDA and its VRBPAC over Emergency Use Authorization for children under 12.
Old 10-26-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 495 Likes on 319 Posts

But this dumb disease is as politicized as everything else now, so if Team Red is against the vaccine and masking, Team Blue has to automatically do the opposite, evidence or no.
There are a lot more scientists and doctors standing on one side of this particular debate...
Old 10-26-21, 07:02 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There are a lot more scientists and doctors standing on one side of this particular debate...
Scientists and doctors spend months scrutinizing data and following up before deciding, then some random guy decides he knows better because of what he read on Facebook or heard on TV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.