Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 09-25-21, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
My take is that the cult leader of the Proud Idiots lives there. If we got rid of him, maybe this country will have a chance to be normal again, something like Canada or the UK.
That's a stretch. He clearly thinks that Florida's vaccination rate is pulling down the national average rather than the actual case that it's pulling it up. Why spew obvious misinformation? I'm guessing it's a combination of DDS and ignorance.
Old 09-25-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 325 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
That's a stretch. He clearly thinks that Florida's vaccination rate is pulling down the national average rather than the actual case that it's pulling it up. Why spew obvious misinformation? I'm guessing it's a combination of DDS and ignorance.
Florida ranks #21 in vax %. US is 55%. FL is 56.5%. Not pulling it down, but not leading the way, either. You can dismount your high horse and dispense with the faux outrage.
Old 09-25-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Oh, so now you're calling all horses Nazis? Wow. WOW.
The horses are just following orders.
Old 09-25-21, 02:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
"Ed... Are we the baddies?"

"Neigh."
Old 09-25-21, 02:36 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
There have been plenty of studies that showed that Trump-voting counties and states have lower Covid vaccination rates than Biden counties and states, by as much as 10%. Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe their idiot leader has something to do with it. Before you accuse anyone of spreading misinformation, get a clue.
Old 09-25-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

"Neigh."
Still love that reference.
Old 09-25-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Florida ranks #21 in vax %. US is 55%. FL is 56.5%. Not pulling it down, but not leading the way, either. You can dismount your high horse and dispense with the faux outrage.
Yeah, not pulling it down is the point. The poster actually believed that.

Now show me how Florida ranks with the fully vaccinated over 65 group.
Old 09-25-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,323 Posts

You know who else you can lead to water?
Hitler!
Old 09-25-21, 04:39 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Liberty and the right not to wear masks.

Old 09-25-21, 04:42 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

For perspective.

Old 09-26-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Finally a full day off!

Decided to go downtown area Philly! Masks and vaccine card needed to go “inside”. Did not bring card, but had photo and on Clear app. So far all good. And glad of requirement
Old 09-26-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What vaccination does do is to significantly reduce severe illness and hospitalization, and death. To judge things correctly, we have to look at the right numbers
For sure, and case numbers also depend on the amount of testing. So I wish more outlets would report hospitalization/death numbers instead.

There have been plenty of studies that showed that Trump-voting counties and states have lower Covid vaccination rates than Biden counties and states, by as much as 10%.
Also true, but we don't need studies here; we have the actual state-by-state numbers. And they show that Florida leads the red states and even beats some blue states. Not sure what's to be gained by denying that.
Old 09-26-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Decided to go downtown area Philly! Masks and vaccine card needed to go “inside”.
Sounds like my wife.
Old 09-26-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by dork View Post
For sure, and case numbers also depend on the amount of testing. So I wish more outlets would report hospitalization/death numbers instead.
I was just talking to my wife about that. Infection numbers are likely far from accurate, it's really unknown.. How many people might have been infected, had no symptoms and have never been tested? Shit, I have never had a single Covid test, I've never had any symptoms and have never been in a situation that required testing (I am fully vaccinated of course). Hell, I may have had Covid sometime last year as far as I know, who knows and I'm not alone in that. But yeah, hospitalization/death numbers are far more meaningful to me.
Old 09-26-21, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Aren't infection numbers still valuable as compared to earlier infection numbers? You'd use them to judge today relative to last week, last month, etc.
Old 09-27-21, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Aren't infection numbers still valuable as compared to earlier infection numbers? You'd use them to judge today relative to last week, last month, etc.
Yeah, assuming testing hasn't changed significantly during those time intervals, local authorities could look at the trend to help decide whether to institute or relax mask mandates, etc. But if thousands of fully-vaccinated people have no symptoms other than a positive test, I think that just blasting out the large number of cases without the context of how many are actually experiencing serious illness has the effect of scaring people and casting doubt on the efficacy of vaccines.

Old 09-27-21, 08:22 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know the point of your previous graph showing that the UK and US have similar infection rates. If it's meant to imply that their Covid situations are equal, that's clearly not true. There are confounding factors for a lot of things, including hospitalization numbers.

Also true, but we don't need studies here; we have the actual state-by-state numbers. And they show that Florida leads the red states and even beats some blue states. Not sure what's to be gained by denying that.
I'd rather see data and analysis, and not go by gut feel. Florida has a higher vaccination rate than the US average, mainly because the age factor is greater than the Trump factor, but the Trump factor is real. I know many people who deny it. I don't know why.

Last edited by Psi; 09-27-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 833 Likes on 658 Posts

I thought there were poop tests using sewage or something that were useful for finding percentage infected? Do we not do that?

Do the "my child my choice" people really believe that? Because why do we have car seats and CPS if you can just do whatever you want with your children?
Old 09-27-21, 11:16 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I thought there were poop tests using sewage or something that were useful for finding percentage infected? Do we not do that?
You can use that to track the infection trend in a community such as a city or university. But it's hard to compare between cities and countries because they have different ways of handling household sewage. You also have to factor in things like weather (rainwater, evaporation). It's complicated. I've seen a city (Boston?) track a specific surge over a few months.
Old 09-27-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, assuming testing hasn't changed significantly during those time intervals, local authorities could look at the trend to help decide whether to institute or relax mask mandates, etc. But if thousands of fully-vaccinated people have no symptoms other than a positive test, I think that just blasting out the large number of cases without the context of how many are actually experiencing serious illness has the effect of scaring people and casting doubt on the efficacy of vaccines.
I see what you're saying now. One number is probably all people are going to pay attention to, so hospitalizations (in vax vs. unvax) would capture most of the complexity compared to infections, which requires a lot more context.
Old 09-27-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Do the "my child my choice" people really believe that? Because why do we have car seats and CPS if you can just do whatever you want with your children?
If you watch a few interviews, you’ll know that they aren’t concerned with any kind of logic.
Old 09-27-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 620 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I see what you're saying now. One number is probably all people are going to pay attention to, so hospitalizations (in vax vs. unvax) would capture most of the complexity compared to infections, which requires a lot more context.
One of the big providers up here breaks out their data in a way that might be more helpful, at least as a snapshot:

It'd be neat to see some of this in graph form. Hospitalizations overall are down ~14.5% from a week ago.
Old 09-27-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

South Carolina has a vaccination rate of about 47%, so the purple people come from
47% of the population, and the red ones come from the other 53%.

So, with a 100% vaccination rate, there would probably be about 90 in the hospital instead of 422, 20 in the ICU instead of 130, and 8 on ventilators instead of 80.

The ninety hospitalization rate at full vaccination seems kind of high (would, say, flu season have similar numbers?), but that eight vs eighty on ventilators is telling. The rates of the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated drops as the level of care increases increases.
Old 09-27-21, 01:37 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

A difference of 10 percentage points in Covid vaccination rate makes a big difference in hospitalization and death.

Old 09-27-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Why the long face?"

PerryD: "How did the horse open the door?"
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I always assumed it was a saloon with swinging doors, obviously.
Oh, so now you're calling all horses Nazis? Wow. WOW.
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

"Neigh."
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You know who else you can lead to water?
Hitler!
Is it still socially acceptable to punch Nazis?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.