Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-23-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

It would suck if dining inside fast food restaurants permanently went away. I go inside often to place my order. If the drive thru is super long, I go in, order to go and leave. Plus my local Taco Bell fucks up my order half the time. I’m not going to get my food, check my bag and get in the back of the line.
Old 05-23-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Old 05-23-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 555 Likes on 389 Posts

This guy is just a fucking asshole. At every turn, he does everything that is against the public’s best interest.

Old 05-23-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 476 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
It would suck if dining inside fast food restaurants permanently went away. I go inside often to place my order. If the drive thru is super long, I go in, order to go and leave. Plus my local Taco Bell fucks up my order half the time. I’m not going to get my food, check my bag and get in the back of the line.
Fast food joints around here are a mixed bag as far as dining rooms being open. It must be a profit margin / effort thing. We have a dozen right near each other. Arby's dining room? Open. Wendy's right next door? Closed. DQ? Open. KFC & Taco Bell, closed. Just noticed the other day it looked like Backyard Burger might have completely bit the dust. The parking lot was a ghost town. Just googling it, it's permanently closed and the last Yelp review was 3/1/2020.

That being said, I go out once a week for my lunch break. I've used the drive through and haven't dined in since Covid began (for lunch). I did go into DQ this past week for lunch for the first time and it was liberating(?). I dunno, it just felt nice not eating in the break room at work. Unfortunately they got rid of the Coke Freestyle machine and it's back to the old school levered soda dispensers. Pandemic wise, one doesn't seem any safer than the other as far as keeping it clean. Do restaurants have to rent(vs purchase) the Freestyle machines? Maybe the rent wasn't worth it during 2020 and they just decided to go old school.
Old 05-23-21, 11:00 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This guy is just a fucking asshole. At every turn, he does everything that is against the public’s best interest.
That's fine. I have no problem if Rand Paul's vaccine goes to someone in India or Brazil. His oxygen too.
Old 05-23-21, 11:48 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Outbreaks in Thailand and Taiwan.

Old 05-23-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

He really is like a kid who objects to everything. Contrarian just because.
Old 05-23-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,249 Likes on 922 Posts

Old 05-23-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

The fact that we don't have all 50 states with 7 out of 10 adults vaccinated is sad.
Old 05-23-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't this the party platform now? Just to be as big an asshole as you can possibly be about every single thing. You have to work really hard to keep up when Ted Cruz is in your party.
Old 05-23-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 487 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The fact that we don't have all 50 states with 7 out of 10 adults vaccinated is sad.
CNN has an article that says the vaccine map is looking a lot like the election map. Because of course it does.

Take a look at the states that are leading the way for adults (18 years or older) with at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccines, as of Thursday's CDC report. Of the top 25 states in terms of percentage vaccinated, President Joe Biden won 21 of them in the 2020 election.Just four of the top 25 states for vaccination were won by former President Donald Trump last election. Trump won 21 of the bottom 25 for vaccinations. This includes 16 of the bottom 17 states.
Old 05-23-21, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 314 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
CNN has an article that says the vaccine map is looking a lot like the election map. Because of course it does.
Mother Nature is trying to eradicate stupidity, but not working hard enough!
Old 05-24-21, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Again, I’m just saying that the upside of not having to constantly clean up after the public has to be pretty great. And obviously we CAN go without dining rooms in fast food restaurants because we’ve done it for a year and a half.
Not willingly, absolutely not willingly. We were FORCED to, and I and many others didn't like it.
Old 05-24-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

Just checked Indiana’s numbers and we’re at 34% fully vaccinated and just under 41% with at least one shot. It’s a fucking embarrassment. I was slightly pleased to see my county is at least the highest in the state, with 62% having had their first shot.

Our statewide new case rate is roughly where it was at during the second wave last summer, though still down ~85% from the peak over the holidays. If it turns out there is a seasonal component, we’ll probably be one of the places with a wave this fall/winter.

On a side note, I had some friends over this weekend for an annual horror movie festival I usually do in October, but had to delay. It was a really nice day and a half of things feeling ‘normal’ again. Everyone was fully vaccinated except one of our old friends who’s fallen down the right-wing rabbit hole over the past decade.
Old 05-24-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Not willingly, absolutely not willingly. We were FORCED to, and I and many others didn't like it.
Just like when right-wingers want to get their feelings hurts about sport teams "going political" and stating that they are no longer going to watch the NFL, NBA, etc. because of it. You also have the choice to not dine at the establishments that don't currently offer dine in services. Just quit giving them your money if you don't like it, but they might also feel that the trade-off of a few lost customers is worth less people cluttering up their dining areas and making a mess. I also bet they have tons less trash they have to have hauled off on a weekly basis by not having people stuff their faces at their establishment.
Old 05-24-21, 11:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 567 Likes on 409 Posts

Sorry vaccine shedders, take your business elsewhere!

Old 05-24-21, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

It's one thing if someone doesn't believe vaccinations work or that covid is fake - but to reject money because someone else believs it and got vaccinated is staggering.
It's not like it's doing the Airbnb any harm or anything.

I don't fully agree with a vegan diet, but I wouldn't turn business away because of it. Their diet's not harming me in any way - so what do I care?

I bet I know who this Airbnb voted for.
Old 05-24-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 669 Posts

I guess because being vaccinated isn't a restricted class, they can discriminate like that?
Old 05-24-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It's one thing if someone doesn't believe vaccinations work or that covid is fake - but to reject money because someone else believs it and got vaccinated is staggering.
It's not like it's doing the Airbnb any harm or anything.
These idiots believe the vaccine causes people to shed tainted RNA or something like that. They spent the last 15 months denying the science of a real disease and now they are making up fake science about a fake disease to justify their refusal to deal with the real solution to the real disease. These people are seriously deranged and belong in an asylum.
Old 05-24-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

I like that they blatantly make stuff up to justify their reasoning. People are fucking odd.
Old 05-24-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a tiny bit of research would debunk all of that nonsense they want to believe in. However, that might be a bit too much to ask. It is sad when people that you believe to be well educated believe in this crap.
Old 05-24-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Just a tiny bit of research would debunk all of that nonsense they want to believe in. However, that might be a bit too much to ask. It is sad when people that you believe to be well educated believe in this crap.
It's turning out not to be that simple. My wife and I have been vaxxed since March and I trust the safety and effectiveness of the shot, but things aren't so easily cut and dry as many would want us to believe.

From the beginning, I believed that covid-19 accidentally escaped from the Wuhan lab and not the result of a "natural" mutation that jumped species. It was just too much of a coincidence that this never-before-seen virus just happened to naturally mutate in the wild in the same location as a major virology lab. The expert narrative has been that the escaped virus theory was nonsense and of the stuff of the tinfoil hat brigade. I kept that belief to myself.... especially since that belief was hijacked by Trump and MAGA in an attempt to cast blame on China and avoid taking responsibility for Trump's dismal response to the pandemic.

Now, information is slowly leaking out about "gain of function" research, unique characteristics of the virus that make it seem implausible that the mutation was natural, and Wuhan lab technicians who were treated for a mysterious illness at the end of 2019. There's enough "there" there to take this out of tinfoil hat territory.

We've previously addressed the claims that Dr. Fauci was a bit deceptive with his position on masks early on and his shifting percentage of when herd immunity is reached. Even though he is on video, in context, admitting to being deceptive, there are those who will refuse to accept it. I don't attribute any malicious motives to his deceptions... clearly he was trying to deal with the reality of human nature.

Cuomo was lauded for his "excellent" pandemic response and yet he fudged the numbers.

DeSantis was was pilloried for his handling of the pandemic and accused of "cooking the books" on numbers, and yet there has been no evidence to support that claim.

All that to say, the things that seem logical and true during this pandemic may not be. Is the shedding of mRNA is a thing? I don't know and I'm not so confident to blindly believe experts who weigh in on this.

It is possible to be reasonably skeptical without falling into the conspiracy rabbit hole.
Old 05-24-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

My issue with the lab thing (which honestly is always plausible when people are playing with viruses) has been people using that as a reason to not use masks or get vaccinated. I was never able to correlate what the origin of a virus has to do with preventing the spread of it.

Also, I'm of the mind that both Cuomo and DeSantis went overkill in the respective directions, DeSantis gets to look good overall because individual cities did their own lockdowns, but man did he try to strip that power over and over again.

Oh and mRNA shedding doesn't make any sense to me at all, mRNA creates a relatively small finite number of spike proteins that do not reproduce (it's a 1:1 set of instructions to spike protein manufactured from what I recall.) In order for it to successfully shed and spread, it would have to reproduce (which some live virus vaccines do, but not here) or be given at a crazy high quantity.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-24-21, 01:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

The U.S. counts for infection, hospitalization and death has dropped a lot in the last month but not surprisingly the gain is concentrated in vaccinated people. Risk for the unvaccinated has dropped but by less. We shouldn't get fooled into thinking that the risk has gone away for everyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...inated-people/

Old 05-24-21, 01:24 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

From Professor Natalie Dean at the University of Florida:

Immunity will not be spread evenly throughout the population. While we track vaccination coverage at the national or state level, infectious disease dynamics are inherently local. Pockets of unvaccinated people who have not previously been infected will exist.

These pockets with lower immunity will remain at risk for outbreaks. While populations with high immunity may no longer be at risk for large outbreaks, movement between areas (and from across the globe) will lead to regular re-introductions and onward cases.

The scale of the pandemic in the US thus changes, from when everywhere on the map was a fiery red, to smaller outbreaks. A case-based response (e.g. contact tracing, targeted antibody therapy) becomes more feasible to react to re-introductions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.