Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-22-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

This is where assholeish people that didn't do much to stifle the spread during our worst period here during the crisis will claim American superiority over other countries. You can only hope that there is enough empathy in them to not be pissed about sending vaccines to help others that they themselves turned down. It's not just about us a country, but rather the world as a whole.
Old 05-22-21, 12:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's crazy how some countries who started out really strong, like Thailand, are really cratering now, mostly due to a lack of vaccines. Whatever measures that were working for them at first, are not sustainable, so without enough vaccines, they get a lot of spread.
This virus is relentless and attacks people whenever it can. In countries that have been mostly successful at minimizing it, I see that it's been a constant hand-to-hand combat, and they never stopped even when they were ahead. Every day they monitor and adjust as needed. Right now Thailand, Taiwan and Vietnam for example are having small surges but nothing like we saw in the US (or are seeing now despite progress in the past few months). But it looks worse for them because they are going from near zero to a few hundreds per day in 1-2 weeks, and to them it's a house-on-fire crisis.

The flip side of their success until now is that they have had very few infections, so almost everyone is susceptible. If they don't get control of this right away, the surge can be very fast and very intense.
Old 05-22-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,257 Likes on 930 Posts

Taiwan is now going through a panic buying surge like we did

Old 05-22-21, 12:42 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Yay for Canada!

Old 05-22-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit misleading, IMO, since theyíre doing single doses.
Old 05-22-21, 12:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 417 Posts

It's not misleading because it says exactly that.

That said, it's true and a bit frustrating... 2nd shots are like four months out. That's pretty crazy, in my opinion. Glad I got mine 4 weeks apart in Texas.
Old 05-22-21, 12:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
They accelerated their vaccination push only recently, so it will take 1-2 more weeks before they get to the second dose. Their first-dose slope is steeper than the U.S. first-dose slope.
Old 05-22-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

A first dose is a first dose - how is it misleading?
Old 05-22-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 259 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because Dork.

The good news is that we seem to be heading toward a reduced interval for our second doses. My wife is in healthcare and received her second shot earlier than the original 4 month schedule. I'm hopeful that the same will happen for the rest of us.
Old 05-22-21, 03:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the CDC has shredded the tiny bit of credibility they had left with this announcement. My local supermarket in small town Florida has seen mask wearing go from 90% to 50%. Most of the old people, like me, are still wearing masks but younger people are removing them. I'm guessing many are un-vaccinated. The CDC should have waited a couple of months to say no more masks.
Old 05-22-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
I think the CDC has shredded the tiny bit of credibility they had left with this announcement. My local supermarket in small town Florida has seen mask wearing go from 90% to 50%. Most of the old people, like me, are still wearing masks but younger people are removing them. I'm guessing many are un-vaccinated. The CDC should have waited a couple of months to say no more masks.
Itís not the CDCs fault that people are lying They would have lied any time.
Old 05-22-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
They accelerated their vaccination push only recently, so it will take 1-2 more weeks before they get to the second dose.
I thought it was going to be a much longer wait for most? Some of the Canadians I know were told *months*. Great news if itís picking up.
Old 05-22-21, 05:49 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

The question is, if you have limited vaccine supply, is it better to A. Use all of it for first dose, or B. Split it between first dose and second dose following the standard Pfizer and Moderna schedules? Basically for pandemic control and public health, is it better to first maximize people partially vaccinated or people fully vaccinated?

That's a reasonable question and it was also asked in the US 2-3 months ago. Eventually we stuck with B and I think so will Canada. There is some recent data that suggests that A may be better, but it's a borderline difference and it probably is best not to change and create confusion.

I thought it was going to be a much longer wait for most? Some of the Canadians I know were told *months*. Great news if it’s picking up.
I hope so too. It's a moot point for Canada right now because few people are due for their second shot until next week or later (with the 3-4 week gap between shots). We'll see if vaccination rate slows down, but even if it does at 50%, that's not bad. Their recovery is amazing
Old 05-22-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

My local Del Taco is actually open for inside dining, has been open for about 3 weeks now... Hooray! And it's Calif. I think 50% capacity. I've been there 2 or 3 times, and was always the only person dining inside at the time. No self-service fountain drinks allowed.

All other local fast-food restaurants remain boarded up for inside dining, however. No foutain drinks, refills, or sitting inside permitted. Of course they'll probably stay closed for inside dining, they make more money that way...
Old 05-22-21, 07:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it was going to be a much longer wait for most? Some of the Canadians I know were told *months*. Great news if itís picking up.
It's been 16 weeks between doses since March but the wait will likely be shorter for most people. Not that our government will want us to have normal lives even when most people are vaccinated with the way they're spreading fears about open borders and variants.
Old 05-22-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
My local Del Taco is actually open for inside dining, has been open for about 3 weeks now... Hooray! And it's Calif. I think 50% capacity. I've been there 2 or 3 times, and was always the only person dining inside at the time. No self-service fountain drinks allowed.

All other local fast-food restaurants remain boarded up for inside dining, however. No foutain drinks, refills, or sitting inside permitted. Of course they'll probably stay closed for inside dining, they make more money that way...
Honestly, aside from a place to eat on road trips, there is no reason for fast food places to have seating. Just one more shitty thing the employees have to deal with. Just get rid of the seating, double the drive thru capacity and watch the money roll in.
Old 05-22-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, aside from a place to eat on road trips, there is no reason for fast food places to have seating. Just one more shitty thing the employees have to deal with. Just get rid of the seating, double the drive thru capacity and watch the money roll in.
I can think of a dozen reasons why someone would eat in a fast food restaurant, and I say that as someone who hasn't eaten in a fast food restaurant dining room in years.
Old 05-22-21, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 682 Likes on 447 Posts

Honestly, aside from a place to eat on road trips, there is no reason for fast food places to have seating.
I mean, the fact that so many fast food places have customers eating at those booths/tables would seem to be proof positive that people want it. It's hard for me to imagine that these places would go through the additional costs/real estate required to support a dining room if there was no point to them.

The Chick-Fil-A by my old office was drive-thru-only for many years, but they tore it down and built one with a dining room.
Old 05-22-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,409 Posts

A lot of fast food just doesnít travel well. If you donít want to eat in your car and stink it up, and you donít want cold soggy fries, you need to eat inside the restaurant.

I think you guys are right that a lot of these places are using the pandemic as an excuse to cut costs and staff and close up the dining room. If I can go to a hockey game on Monday with 12,000 fans, I should be able to eat a taco in my Del Taco with 20 other people in the store. This isnít a public health issue.
Old 05-22-21, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I think fast food dining rooms are probably more trouble than they are worth - constant cleaning, people being monster garbage people, people staying there all day sipping a coffee. They probably have them because they think they have to. But the pandemic did the thing where businesses were all forced to change at once and hey, turns out there are a lot of good ideas if everyone has to do them.

For example, all the Best Buys here have transformed to be half showroom/half warehouse. So there is way less to see if youíre just window shopping. At first I was against it, now when I need to get something I just buy online, pull up and someone drops it in my back window. Itís so great. And they never would have done it if they werenít forced.
Old 05-22-21, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 682 Likes on 447 Posts

The biggest point of fast food is convenience. And if youíre not allowed to eat at a fast food joint on your lunch break, while shopping/running errands, a quick bite before a movie or after a concert, as an inexpensive place to socialize, or any of a number of other everyday scenarios, thatís the opposite of convenience.

Drive-thrus are obviously a massive percentage of business. Perhaps the pandemic will have trained people who were more likely to eat inside to get drive-thru instead. Weíll certainly see more drive-thru-only locations. But the idea that tables/booths at fast food restaurants are something only people taking road trips could possibly want seems pretty far removed from what Iíve seen.

Wendyís reported that pre-pandemic, about a third of their business was in the dining room.
Old 05-23-21, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The biggest point of fast food is convenience. And if youíre not allowed to eat at a fast food joint on your lunch break, while shopping/running errands, a quick bite before a movie or after a concert, as an inexpensive place to socialize, or any of a number of other everyday scenarios, thatís the opposite of convenience.

Drive-thrus are obviously a massive percentage of business. Perhaps the pandemic will have trained people who were more likely to eat inside to get drive-thru instead. Weíll certainly see more drive-thru-only locations. But the idea that tables/booths at fast food restaurants are something only people taking road trips could possibly want seems pretty far removed from what Iíve seen.

Wendyís reported that pre-pandemic, about a third of their business was in the dining room.
Again, Iím just saying that the upside of not having to constantly clean up after the public has to be pretty great. And obviously we CAN go without dining rooms in fast food restaurants because weíve done it for a year and a half.
Old 05-23-21, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Again, Iím just saying that the upside of not having to constantly clean up after the public has to be pretty great. And obviously we CAN go without dining rooms in fast food restaurants because weíve done it for a year and a half.
My point was that fast food places donít need to keep their dining rooms closed for health reasons any more. They are doing it now because itís cheaper for them and they can get away with it. Glad that you are so concerned with maximizing profits for McDonaldís of all places.
Were you this happy when airlines decreased leg room and started charging passengers for checked baggage?
Old 05-23-21, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
My point was that fast food places donít need to keep their dining rooms closed for health reasons any more. They are doing it now because itís cheaper for them and they can get away with it. Glad that you are so concerned with maximizing profits for McDonaldís of all places.
Were you this happy when airlines decreased leg room and started charging passengers for checked baggage?
I honestly care more about the workers not having to deal with the public
Old 05-23-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I honestly care more about the workers not having to deal with the public
Well.... without the "public" there won't be any need for those workers. Then what? If fast food establishments go to a drive-thru only model, expect them to need less employees. Those employees no longer employed won't have to deal with the public so I guess that will address what you care about, and give you something different to care about (like their unemployment).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.