Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 02-25-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Who cares about a global pandemic as long as we’re still sticking it to the libs.
What are the cuts specifically. Also, I remember arguing cuts back in the Obama years, and my response from some here was..."it's not really a cut, as they still get money, just not as much as the prior year."

So, I'll retort with what I was told back then.

Also, what are the annual budgets for the whining and complaining agencies, and how much is actually being cut.

Finally, what nobody has mentioned here, of course, is that the Trump Administration actually proposed about $600 million of an INCREASE for the Vaccines for Children Program, which gives kids vaccines for free when their families can't afford them. And currently, with the CV in play, more kids getting free vaccines the better.

The bigger cuts are over a decade...and I think we all know we'll have Democrats in office by then (I would hope) who will "adjust" the spending/cutting bill for those agencies on the "cutting block". This happens all the time. It's nothing new. Obama brought increases in, Republicans bring cuts, generally in the same areas Democrats increase.
Old 02-25-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,534 Likes on 969 Posts

Quoting the only US Senator whom I ever once carpooled with :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Coronavirus is not contained. It will not fade in the spring. Trump cut CDC by 9 percent. Trump eliminated the position at the global health security teams at NSC and DHS. They don’t know what they are doing. They are fixated on the politics and the stock market.</p>&mdash; Brian Schatz (@brianschatz) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1232377630801965058?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-25-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

I hope this doesn't get worse. I played the Pandemic board game, which taught me how hard these things are to stop.

But anyway, I just read that the 1919 Spanish flu (which killed tens of millions) had a mortality rate of less than 2.5%. The coronavirus has an estimated mortality rate of between 2-3%. Yikes.
Old 02-25-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What people don't realize is cutting funding to groups that help fight against pandemics makes America safer by making it more likely the evil dems will get infected. God will shield the republicans so even more money should be cut from the CDC. Thank god for jesus trump the one true messiah.
Old 02-25-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 907 Likes on 679 Posts

I've been to China 3 times, last time was in 2017. My visa doesn't expire for 6 more years and I would like to travel there again eventually.

However, with the way this virus has spread in China, this is going scare away many from traveling there in the future and is going to likely cripple their economy for a long long time.

I feel bad for the people in Wuhan. It's turned a once vibrant city to a desolate ghost town.
Old 02-25-20, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Quoting the only US Senator whom I ever once carpooled with :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Coronavirus is not contained. It will not fade in the spring. Trump cut CDC by 9 percent. Trump eliminated the position at the global health security teams at NSC and DHS. They don’t know what they are doing. They are fixated on the politics and the stock market.</p>&mdash; Brian Schatz (@brianschatz) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1232377630801965058?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Is this the same Schatz that said teargas was used at the border and it was a violation of international chemical weapons laws.

Now, just like back then...he's over-stating the situation.
Old 02-25-20, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I've been to China 3 times, last time was in 2017. My visa doesn't expire for 6 more years and I would like to travel there again eventually.

However, with the way this virus has spread in China, this is going scare away many from traveling there in the future and is going to likely cripple their economy for a long long time.

I feel bad for the people in Wuhan. It's turned a once vibrant city to a desolate ghost town.
That's why facts, instead of fiction, need to be given to viewers and the public...not a campaign of disinformation and fear-mongering.
Old 02-25-20, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I hope this doesn't get worse. I played the Pandemic board game, which taught me how hard these things are to stop.

But anyway, I just read that the 1919 Spanish flu (which killed tens of millions) had a mortality rate of less than 2.5%. The coronavirus has an estimated mortality rate of between 2-3%. Yikes.
Biggest problem we got right now is the media (and politicians) wanting a story to captivate their viewers because they know their viewers are getting bored with the same stories being recycled for the last 4 years. Another issue is do we really have all the facts from China. My guess...probably not. So the best thing we got is how the virus acts outside of China, where we can track it more reliably.

Also, if certain cities need to go into lockdown, they will, and communication is rather quick versus back in 1919, so we do have a better and more robust way of handling a virus. But like any virus, it mutates, and adapts. Even with the common flu, there can be only so much done, and the CDC readily admits how many people will die in the US each year. Due to the way people travel to different countries like it was next door, our society may have to take viruses more seriously--but at the same time not getting overly paranoid.
Old 02-25-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a feeling that when the "right" virus comes along (i.e. the next Spanish Flu), and it's inevitable, it will plow through the population no matter how well prepared we are. It wouldn't take very long for hospitals to be overwhelmed, no country's medical system is that good. One troubling thing about this virus is that it apparently can spread from people not showing any symptoms, that makes it a tad harder to control.
Old 02-25-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Biggest problem we got right now is the media (and politicians) wanting a story to captivate their viewers because they know their viewers are getting bored with the same stories being recycled for the last 4 years. Another issue is do we really have all the facts from China. My guess...probably not. So the best thing we got is how the virus acts outside of China, where we can track it more reliably.

Also, if certain cities need to go into lockdown, they will, and communication is rather quick versus back in 1919, so we do have a better and more robust way of handling a virus. But like any virus, it mutates, and adapts. Even with the common flu, there can be only so much done, and the CDC readily admits how many people will die in the US each year. Due to the way people travel to different countries like it was next door, our society may have to take viruses more seriously--but at the same time not getting overly paranoid.
Yes, the media is our enemy here, not a friend, or impartial, or one to be trusted with unbiased, non-fearmongering reporting.

Coronavirus is going to be turned into a political circus, when it really needs to be a time for doctors and scientists to come together to solve a diffucult problem... Ample monetary support is needed, and that is a FACT, and an apolitical issue.
Old 02-25-20, 09:15 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I have a feeling that when the "right" virus comes along (i.e. the next Spanish Flu), and it's inevitable, it will plow through the population no matter how well prepared we are. It wouldn't take very long for hospitals to be overwhelmed, no country's medical system is that good. One troubling thing about this virus is that it apparently can spread from people not showing any symptoms, that makes it a tad harder to control.
What has worked so far in the US is that if you are from a high risk situation, they first test you for Covid-19 (results take 1-2 days), and if you are infection-free you go through a monitored 14-day quarantine. If you test positive, then you are hospitalized until. you are infection-free, then you start your 14-day quarantine. That’s what happened to Americans returning from Wuhan, China and from the cruise ship in Japan.

But the important thing is to first recognize who is a high-risk case so the test and quarantine cycle is applied. The test doesn’t give results instanbtaneously so it’s not easy to manage, especially if you have hundreds or thousands of people. South Korea was almost able to get through this crisis with minmal drama until this past weekend when they missed one high-risk case, and that person infected hundreds of others at a church, and now a whole city and country are at high risk

This is like “Night of the Living Dead.” It’s not always obvious who is safe and who is dangerous just by look.
Old 02-25-20, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a feeling that when the "right" virus comes along (i.e. the next Spanish Flu), and it's inevitable, it will plow through the population no matter how well prepared we are.
Is this the work of a future would-be "Dr. Mengele" designing such a virus ?

Or is it something that exists naturally ?
Old 02-25-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
South Korea was almost able to get through this crisis with minmal drama until this past weekend when they missed one high-risk case, and that person infected hundreds of others at a church, and now a whole city and country are at high risk
Things like that, going to church, a cesspool of crowded, possibly sick people following "God's duty" is what's truly scary. People need to stay home, not congregate, and realize that meeting in large groups is the WORST thing that they can do when it comes to spreading the disease. As the example in Korea proved, even if only 1 person out of every 1000 doesn't follow this prescribed protocol, that ONE person can infect hundreds, and then you've got an epidemic. This requires 100% compliance. Some pigheaded people stupidly believing they're "immune" or need to follow "God's duty" by going to church at any cost, could endanger the economy of an entire country.
Old 02-26-20, 12:25 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My paranoid mother-in-law asked me to buy some N95 masks. It's sold out everywhere. And they're popping up on eBay for like 10x the price. Some sellers are buying a multipack (usually $1 per mask) then selling each individual mask for $15 (these are not sterile anyway, so I guess they could be sold individually).

Old 02-26-20, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 291 Likes on 180 Posts

I agree with this. I've been watching the folks on the Diamond Princess and people who are in really good health wind up coming down with it well after the quarantine time. Folks that got a clean bill of health have gotten it after leaving the ship. It just a huge unknown and it's spreading. I do believe there's a race against the clock here as it sure isn't looking like it's just going to go away on its own.
Old 02-26-20, 02:29 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I agree with this. I've been watching the folks on the Diamond Princess and people who are in really good health wind up coming down with it well after the quarantine time. Folks that got a clean bill of health have gotten it after leaving the ship. It just a huge unknown and it's spreading. I do believe there's a race against the clock here as it sure isn't looking like it's just going to go away on its own.
I think there were two reasons:
- People got infected after they tested clean. The Covid-19 tests take 1-2 days to give results, and it could be longer because they had thousands of people, so someone could have tested clean then got infected afterwards. For cases llike that a 14-day quarantine has to start after the last clean test if you are guranteed to stay clean. If you get infected, you have to be treated until infection free before starting the 14 days.

- Some of the passengers (14?) were assumed to be clean before test results came back. Only after they were cleared to fly back did they learn that they were already infected. They were allowed to fly anyway but were separated from other passengers on the planes.

It’s now recognized that the ship quarantine was not done well. People were not isolated from when test samples were collected to when results came back, so there was no guarantee that clean people stayed clean on that ship. And there was no separation of clean people from infected people by area of the ship or AC system, etc. It’s like washing your dishes then throwing it back into the dirty dishwater. That’s why they are re-doing that quarantine process after the passengers came back to the US.

Viruses do mutate but it doesn’t happen that fast on so many people at once. People on that ship got infected by normal transmission, not by some weird strain of virus unique to that ship.

Last edited by Psi; 02-26-20 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-26-20, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by namja View Post
My paranoid mother-in-law asked me to buy some N95 masks. It's sold out everywhere. And they're popping up on eBay for like 10x the price. Some sellers are buying a multipack (usually $1 per mask) then selling each individual mask for $15 (these are not sterile anyway, so I guess they could be sold individually).
These masks won't do shit. You need a FULL SEAL around the nose and mouth, and even ears. You would need a full sealed headset...yes, like the ones in sci-fi shows. Like an M-405 headset.

The biggest issue is also the vaccine. We're looking at 18 months before it gets to market. Another problem...China will be the supplier of the vaccine.

This is the major reason why I've advocated for manufacturing independence versus letting other countries do it all for us (Free Trade! Woohoo!). Now, we have a prime example of why keeping our most essential productions at home, is best.
Old 02-26-20, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

3-month window to decide fate of Tokyo Olympics, IOC's Dick Pound says.

Games under threat as more than 2,600 deaths, 77,000 infections linked to fast-spreading virus. Dick Pound, the longest-serving member of the IOC, estimates there's a three-month window to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, which are being threatened by the fast-spreading COVID-19.

Pound, in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, did not sound alarmist. But he did speak frankly about the risks facing the Olympics, which open July 24.

Pound has been an International Olympic Committee member since 1978, 13 years longer than current president Thomas Bach.
"You could certainly go to two months out if you had to," Pound said, which would mean putting off a decision until late May and hoping the virus is under control.

"A lot of things have to start happening. You've got to start ramping up your security, your food, the Olympic Village, the hotels. The media folks will be in there building their studios."And if it got to the point of not going ahead, Pound speculated "you're probably looking at a cancellation."

"This is the new war and you have to face it. In and around that time, I'd say folks are going to have to ask: 'Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo, or not?"'

Canada women's soccer coach Kenneth Heiner-Moller says he will leave the question of the coronavirus and Olympics to "whoever is the expert on this."

"I sincerely hope that they'll make sure that everyone around the world stays healthy and that something around that coronavirus can be done. I think that's the most important part," the Dane told a media conference call Tuesday.

"And obviously we want to participate in the Olympics and hopefully [the Games are] going to continue. But my concerns are not on that. I hope they know their way around it, the way of making sure all people stay healthy, as healthy as they can be.

And then hopefully we'll continue with the Olympics. But right now it's not in the forefront of my mind. We're just continuing as if the Olympics are going to happen anyway."

The modern Olympics dating from 1896 have only been cancelled during wartime, and faced boycotts in 1976 in Montreal, in 1980 in Moscow and 1984 in Los Angeles, all in Pound's memory.

The Olympics in 1940 were to be in Tokyo, but were called off because of Japan's war with China and World War II.

Pound called uncertainty a major problem and repeated the IOC's stance — that it's depending on consultations with the World Health Organization, a United Nations body, to make any move. So far, the games are on.

"It's a big, big, big decision, and you just can't take it until you have reliable facts on which to base it," Pound said. He said whatever advice the IOC is now getting, "it doesn't call for cancellation or postponement of the Olympics.

You just don't postpone something on the size and scale of the Olympics. There's so many moving parts, so many countries and different seasons, and competitive seasons, and television seasons. You can't just say we'll do it in October."

If changes have to be made, Pound said every option faced obstacles.

Moving Olympic site 'difficult'

Pound said moving to another city seemed unlikely.

"To move the place is difficult because there are few places in the world that could think of gearing up facilities in that short time to put something on," Pound said.

Staying in Tokyo but moving it back a few months would be unlikely to satisfy North American broadcasters, whose schedules are full in the fall with American football, college football, European soccer, basketball, baseball, and ice hockey. Of course, other world broadcasters also have jammed schedules.

"It would be tough to get the kind of blanket coverage that people expect around the Olympic Games," Pound said. "It's certainly tougher than it would have been in 1964 in Tokyo, when you didn't have the saturation sports schedule on television."

How about delaying for a year, but staying in Tokyo? Japan is officially spending $12.6 billion US to organize the Olympics, although a national audit board says the country is spending twice that much.

IOC building 'emergency fund'

"Then you have to ask if you can hold the bubble together for an extra year," Pound said. "Then, of course, you have to fit all of this into the entire international sports schedule."

Pound said the IOC has been building up an "emergency fund" for such circumstances, reported to be about $1 billion US. That could fund international sports federations who depend on income from the IOC to operate — and the IOC itself.

"This would be what you normally call a force majeure," said Pound, a Canadian lawyer by training, using the legal phrase for unforeseeable circumstances.

"It's not an insurable risk, and it's not one that can be attributed to one or the other of the parties. So everybody takes their lumps. There would be a lack of revenue on the Olympic Movement side."

He said broadcasters may have their own insurance that would "mitigate some of the losses."

About 73 per cent of the IOC's $5.7 billion US income in a four-year Olympic cycle is from broadcast rights.

Pound said the future of the Tokyo Games was largely out of the IOC's hands, depending on the virus and if it abates.

"If it gets to be something like the Spanish flu," Pound said — referring to a deadly pandemic early in the 20th century that killed millions — "at that level of lethality, then everybody's got to take their medicine."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/d...sion-1.5475017

There's nothing funny about the virus outbreak or the possible cancellation of the Olympics, but the 12 year old boy inside me chuckled when I saw the longest-serving member of the IOC is named Dick Pound.
Old 02-26-20, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Dick Pound?! I hope his parents were pleased with themselves. That’s gold.
Old 02-26-20, 08:02 AM

I don’t care how much IOC experience he has, I am not going to listen to the alleged wisdom of anyone who has the last name Pound and lacks the common sense to give himself the nickname “Rich” instead.
Old 02-26-20, 10:12 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

His statement that the games couldn’t be relocated is bullshit. Los Angeles could host it tomorrow. All the facilities are in place. I’m sure a few other cities could too.
Old 02-26-20, 10:16 AM

Of course the US has a travel ban against a host of countries. There's a reason Paris got 2024 & Los Angeles was given the 2028 games when they were both under consideration for the same games.
Old 02-26-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 262 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, one of the morning shows on the radio was making fun of Mr. Pound. It's either the worst name ever, or the best.
Old 02-26-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yeah, one of the morning shows on the radio was making fun of Mr. Pound. It's either the worst name ever, or the best.
Making fun of someone's name? Evidence that evolution is a myth.
Old 02-26-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 262 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Making fun of someone's name? Evidence that evolution is a myth.
Making fun of someone's name is HIGHBROW humor for the typical morning radio show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.