Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 02-25-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The President said that warm weather would take care of it and he's a brilliant medical scientist so why would anyone here be concerned? #MAGA
I don’t understand ur snark skepticism. Your not actually suggesting that Trump is wrong are you?
Old 02-25-20, 11:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 163 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Man it's chaos at my daughter's school. Everyone is scrambling to leave right away

NYU closing Florence campus over coronavirus fears

By Julia Marsh and Tamar Lapin

February 24, 2020 | 8:28pm
Enlarge Image

STAN HONDA/AFP/GettyImagesNew York University said it will be closing its Florence outpost over fears of the deadly new coronavirus — and students living on-campus there will have until Thursday to get out.

Classes at NYU Florence were canceled for the rest of the week as the virus spreads across Italy, the elite university said in an email to community members on Monday.

“Though there is no evidence of a pressing risk to the NYU Florence community, the past month has demonstrated that countries may swiftly and unexpectedly make decisions that can significantly affect one’s ability to travel,” the email said.

The school encouraged students in off-campus housing “to make alternative arrangements, such as returning home” until March 29.

Cases of the flu-like illness have surged in Italy, going from three on Friday to 229 on Monday, while the death toll climbed to seven.

In response, a dozens northern towns, with a total population of about 50,000, were placed under quarantine.

NYU Florence classes are set to resume March 2 — though will be taught remotely until March 29 using an online platform called Zoom, the email said.

The same platform is being used to teach students at NYU Shanghai, where in-person classes were canceled on Jan. 28 over the virus outbreak.

The father of a 20-year-old NYU Florence student named Dean Jameison told The Post he was “furious” over the school’s announcement.

“This is outrageous! We paid $33,000 for a semester and they’re basically saying, ‘Good luck get the hell out,'” said Wendell Jamieson. “No support. Nothing.”

“I understand the challenges here but NYU is just casting these kids adrift,” Jamieson added.

Plus, the email was sent out after school offices were closed for the day, “so they wouldn’t get calls from me,” he said.

NYU didn’t immediately return a request for comment.
Isn’t closing the school and telling everybody to beat it the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do? You’re supposed to stay put and wait out the incubation period. Sending everyone packing just creates the potential for spreading.
Old 02-25-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Cancer kills way more than Covid-19 as well. Lots more. As well as car accidents.
Definitely.

Once something becomes "background noise", it falls off our immediate radar screens.

Somehow it is human nature to pay attention to immediate events of low (or unknown) probability, while deemphasizing known likelihood events which are background noise.
Old 02-25-20, 11:42 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I've been following the story since the end of December, I was wondering why I've seen little mention of it here, but then remembered "out of sight, out of mind", it's becoming a big deal in Asia and now Europe, but not in North America, so who cares, right? I'm not saying that it's time to start running around like Chicken Little, but I've been hearing some disturbing stuff related to this outbreak in other countries. It's definitely starting to have an effect on the global market, and yeah, people in Japan are certainly worried how this will affect the Summer Olympics.
There is already significant economic impact. I was seriously hoping that we are coming out of this after two months of severe restrictions in China, but it now looks like China is quieting down while other countries are starting to pick it up. All it takes is one person who unknowingly goes to another country and spreads it, and that’s why a lot of countries are basically shutting down their borders, not allowing flights from countries with infected people. Watch the SARS video I linked to above to see how it went from China to Canada. One person, that’s all it took.

But even if this is all unfounded exaggerated fear, it’s the government’s job to deal with it, explain why it’s unfounded exaggerated fear and describe what is being done so the issue doesn’t come to this country. But no we have a fucking idiot running the country too busy tweeting about what Dems are doing to him.

Last edited by Psi; 02-25-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 306 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Definitely.

Once something becomes "background noise", it falls off our immediate radar screens.

Somehow it is human nature to pay attention to immediate events of low (or unknown) probability, while deemphasizing known likelihood events which are background noise.
Simple human instinct due to our past. Our pre history ancestors would be more likely to get killed if they took the time to think about what we're calling background noise. It's in our DNA to worry about the here and now above all else.
Old 02-25-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
0.1% of infected die from flu every year, so far this is at 2.3% which is a bit of a jump from that. There's a good reason to at least pay attention to it.

35.5m got flu in the US last year, 34,000 died. Scaled, that would be 816,500 deaths with COVID-19.

It's no SARS (15% mortality rate, or 5.3m dead by that same scale) but they're trying to prevent a repeat of the 1918 Spanish Flu which killed about 30m people worldwide (in the US it killed about 675,000 of the 29m infected).
Yeah, I think everyone should take precautions, but the types of media campaigns I'm observing could easily be toned down, and the closing of events and whatever is just stupid (stupid being just for the Corona virus). However, it'll be interesting to see if the common flu viruses' victims actually drop this year due to more vigilance to CV.

I also don't foresee 35+ million Americans getting CV in line with annual flu victims. If China ever gets their real numbers out, I'll adjust my opinion accordingly (which does have me concerned).
Old 02-25-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Cancer kills way more than Covid-19 as well. Lots more. As well as car accidents. I don't GAF.
Insightful.
Old 02-25-20, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Isn’t closing the school and telling everybody to beat it the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do? You’re supposed to stay put and wait out the incubation period. Sending everyone packing just creates the potential for spreading.
I really don't know. It's not hit Florence yet so I guess they're trying to avoid incubation. And avoid getting sued if it spreads through the dorm.
This is a major cluster-fuck. Nobody knows what to do. I'm sending my daughter to London tomorrow and hope I can find a relative to put her up.
Old 02-25-20, 12:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What are you supposed to do if the answer is yes? Tell the personnel in contact with the patient to take more precautions, or do more?
Not sure. Luckily my company isn’t doing this. But certain contagious things we will only fly with special precautions (patient masked, crew wearing special respiratory masks, etc).
Old 02-25-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Insightful.
I guess my hyperbole wasn't enough.
Old 02-25-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Larry Kudlow says US has contained the coronavirus and the economy is holding up nicely

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/larr...up-nicely.html

12:47 pm: US health officials say ‘prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad’

Health officials said Tuesday the COVID-19 coronavirus is “likely” to continue to spread throughout the United States and the American public should “prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad.” “Ultimately we expect we will see community spread in the United States,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/stoc...oday-live.html

Old 02-25-20, 01:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Larry Kudlow says US has contained the coronavirus and the economy is holding up nicely
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/larr...up-nicely.html
Senator Murphy strongly disagrees.

Old 02-25-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally under control

Old 02-25-20, 01:20 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Harvard University epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch is predicting the coronavirus "will ultimately not be containable" and, within a year, will infect somewhere between 40 and 70 percent of humanity.
https://theweek.com/speedreads/89779...rcent-humanity

Trump claims vaccine is ‘very close’ amid coronavirus outbreak — but White House says he was talking about Ebola
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/whit...ronavirus.html

On a personal note, my brother returned from South Korea today. He was scheduled to return this coming Sunday, but he changed his flight amid fears that flights would be canceled and/or that he may be quarantined upon return. As of this morning, no issues with passengers flying in from South Korea into the US.
Old 02-25-20, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Definitely.

Somehow it is human nature to pay attention to immediate events of low (or unknown) probability, while de-emphasizing known likelihood events which are background noise.
I think there is also a natural human response to perceived outside threats that is "It's overblown, it isn't that big a deal. It won't affect me". There may be some statistical validity there, but you can't overstate the potential risk to the population and ignoring it absolutely won't make it just go away.

A rapidly spreading viral illness, on the border of becoming a pandemic, with a 2% mortality rate is terrifying to me. Having a President who seems obsessed with weakening the US' ability to respond to health crises rapidly and effectively is even more scary.
Old 02-25-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder what anti-vaxers would say if a vaccine for this was developed tomorrow?
Old 02-25-20, 01:28 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

In a way, we do have it under control. There is no Covid-19 outbreak in the US at the moment, but it’s significant in several other countries, and we need to make sure it doesn’t come here. With or without Trump (OK, without), a lot of things are being done. Many Americans were flown back to the US from Wuhan, the city in China where Covid-19 started, and from the infected cruise ship in Japan, and everyone was put in mandatory 14-day quarantine at militaru bases. But it’s like a dam holding back a big wall of water and we need to stay vigilant and stop any breach.

Chris Murphy is right though. The danger is in the cuts the administration is doing to global health and infectious disease prevention programs which will reduce our ability to prevent, detect or fight the next disease outbreak, and that risk never goes away.
Old 02-25-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by namja View Post
Harvard University epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch is predicting the coronavirus "will ultimately not be containable" and, within a year, will infect somewhere between 40 and 70 percent of humanity.
https://theweek.com/speedreads/89779...rcent-humanity

Trump claims vaccine is ‘very close’ amid coronavirus outbreak — but White House says he was talking about Ebola
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/whit...ronavirus.html

On a personal note, my brother returned from South Korea today. He was scheduled to return this coming Sunday, but he changed his flight amid fears that flights would be canceled and/or that he may be quarantined upon return. As of this morning, no issues with passengers flying in from South Korea into the US.
First article is interesting. Panic inducing headline followed by "don't worry [too much -my addition] because most people won't even show symptoms" then followed by coronavirus "could one day turn "cold and flu season" into "cold and flu and COVID-19 season." Which is interesting, because depending on how you parse it, phrase it, whatever, Covid-19 is much deadlier than the flu.
Old 02-25-20, 01:36 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Not sure. Luckily my company isn’t doing this. But certain contagious things we will only fly with special precautions (patient masked, crew wearing special respiratory masks, etc).
Thanks. In China after an initial period of confusion and insufficent control, medical personnel picking up Covid-19 patients have to wear full protective suits, use vans with negative-pressure chambers to prevent the virus from getting out, and send those patients to only certain facilities better equipped to deal with this. But that is for patients with high risk of Covid-19 infection, not everyone.

Last edited by Psi; 02-25-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 238 Posts

There is already significant economic impact. I was seriously hoping that we are coming out of this after two months of severe restrictions in China, but it now looks like China is quieting down while other countries are starting to pick it up. All it takes is one person who unknowingly goes to another country and spreads it, and that’s why a lot of countries are basically shutting down their borders, not allowing flights from countries with infected people. Watch the SARS video I linked to above to see how it went from China to Canada. One person, that’s all it took.

But even if this is all unfounded exaggerated fear, it’s the government’s job to deal with it, explain why it’s unfounded exaggerated fear and describe what is being done so the issue doesn’t come to this country. But no we have a fucking idiot running the country too busy tweeting about what Dems are doing to him.
Exactly, luckily the US is in good hands. I clearly remember what happened with SARS, it took years for our tourism industry in southern Ontario (e.g. Niagara Falls) to recover from that, it never fully did IMO, and that was really a limited number of cases compared to what seems to be happening with this. If it gets much worse, the economy will take a hit, you can't keep borders closed and factories idling for long without significant impact, it's a cascading effect.

My wife has been talking to friends and family in Japan, they're taking this shit very seriously over there.

Old 02-25-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't the DOW drop over 1k yesterday alone? What's all this talk about the economy not being effected?
Old 02-25-20, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Didn't the DOW drop over 1k yesterday alone? What's all this talk about the economy not being (affected)?

Old 02-25-20, 02:54 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, actually coronavirus is just a "common cold" ...

Rush Limbaugh Claims The 'Common Cold' Coronavirus Is An Effort To ‘Get Trump’

Old 02-25-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 279 Likes on 235 Posts

In a way, we do have it under control. There is no Covid-19 outbreak in the US at the moment, but it’s significant in several other countries, and we need to make sure it doesn’t come here. With or without Trump (OK, without), a lot of things are being done. Many Americans were flown back to the US from Wuhan, the city in China where Covid-19 started, and from the infected cruise ship in Japan, and everyone was put in mandatory 14-day quarantine at militaru bases. But it’s like a dam holding back a big wall of water and we need to stay vigilant and stop any breach.

Chris Murphy is right though. The danger is in the cuts the administration is doing to global health and infectious disease prevention programs which will reduce our ability to prevent, detect or fight the next disease outbreak, and that risk never goes away.
Who cares about a global pandemic as long as we’re still sticking it to the libs.
Old 02-25-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Exactly, luckily the US is in good hands. I clearly remember what happened with SARS, it took years for our tourism industry in southern Ontario (e.g. Niagara Falls) to recover from that, it never fully did IMO, and that was really a limited number of cases compared to what seems to be happening with this. If it gets much worse, the economy will take a hit, you can't keep borders closed and factories idling for long without significant impact, it's a cascading effect.

My wife has been talking to friends and family in Japan, they're taking this shit very seriously over there.
Well, you have to ask why the factories are even being closed in the first place and was it really necessary or just a gesture that "we're doing something". My guess...knee-jerk reactions that don't help anyone from getting the virus if they used proper precautions at the workplace. These factories will more than likely get back up and running again, but with PPE in place (a less knee-jerky solution).

Also, does America really need more China products. I think we'd be just fine for several years without certain cheap imports.

Japan had a serious flu outbreak last year. And the year before. And the year before that. Yeah, they do take the flu seriously, because it generally hits their population the worst. There's a lot of elderly in Japan, and the flu tends to spread quickly in the in-care homes and nursing homes over there.

Anytime the word "flu" is mentioned in Japan, people freak out. And somewhat justifiably so.

So, here's what I'm talking about when it comes to flu cases and proper prevention:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...d-coronavirus/

The flu season appears to be waning significantly faster than last year thanks to public fear of the deadly new coronavirus, government data shows.
Just the fact that everyone is taking proper precautions that they SHOULD be doing anyway in any virus situation...the number of flu cases is dropping dramatically. And I suspect, if the US did this...their cases would drop as well, and the media wouldn't be hyping flu season every year. Well, ok, they probably still would, but the facts, if they were ever reported...would show the massive drop due to a higher awareness.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-25-20 at 04:08 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.