Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 04-01-20, 08:42 AM
  #3476  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 32,553
Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

From the non-political thread:

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
One of the odd things about this virus here in Arkansas is that one of the rural counties has the 2nd highest total of cases. This article suggest it could all be tied to a church service in early March. Which tells me that this crap was already really wide spread in February.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...itive-n1169471

Glad to hear they stopped church services. Yet our moronic governor still refuses to do any kind of stay at home order. We very well could be looking at millions of deaths because every state is not getting on board with lockdowns.
With the wait and see approach, the state governments are waiting and oh yeah, they will see alright. The post mortem from this should be fun too. "Nobody had any idea it could be this bad." Nobody other than scientists and doctors who you ignored.
Old 04-01-20, 08:44 AM
  #3477  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pandemerica!
Posts: 21,621
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So Hobby Lobby decided to reopen in some states in defiance to the stay at home ordinances. I see a reporter who went to do her job and the first comment on her thread is this libertarian jackass Eric July calling her a rat. He is the type of asshole who’s making things worse cause he doesn’t understand what a fucking pandemic is

https://twitter.com/ericdjuly/status...566857728?s=21

^ tangent time, but... It's the "first" comment because it gets signal-boosted (either by likes/RTs or having the link to the comment instead of the original tweet posted all over the internet.) and also because the algorithm pushes comments higher in your feed based on all sorts of interaction-based metrics. For example, typically but not always, if a popular leftist retweets AOC (with or without a quote), and I click on the original tweet to see comments, I'll usually see other leftist responses. But if a popular right-winger retweets AOC (also with or without a quote), and I click on the original tweet to see comments, it doesn't always display the exact same list of responses in the same order. In fact, at least for me, it usually shows right-winger responses first, then the rest.

Algorithms, baby. They rule us all.

All that aside, fuck that guy, and fuck Hobby Lobby.
Old 04-01-20, 08:48 AM
  #3478  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pandemerica!
Posts: 21,621
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
From the non-political thread:

With the wait and see approach, the state governments are waiting and oh yeah, they will see alright. The post mortem from this should be fun too. "Nobody had any idea it could be this bad." Nobody other than scientists and doctors who you ignored.
In addition to that, by delaying their stay-at-home orders, they're making it even harder to manage, because it could create a staggered outcome of identifiable cases. I can't recall if I read it here or heard it elsewhere, but everything we see today is, more or less, the result of decisions made 2-3 weeks ago, and that will continue as time passes. 2-3 weeks from now will show results for decisions made today.
Old 04-01-20, 08:57 AM
  #3479  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,982
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ tangent time, but... It's the "first" comment because it gets signal-boosted (either by likes/RTs or having the link to the comment instead of the original tweet posted all over the internet.) and also because the algorithm pushes comments higher in your feed based on all sorts of interaction-based metrics. For example, typically but not always, if a popular leftist retweets AOC (with or without a quote), and I click on the original tweet to see comments, I'll usually see other leftist responses. But if a popular right-winger retweets AOC (also with or without a quote), and I click on the original tweet to see comments, it doesn't always display the exact same list of responses in the same order. In fact, at least for me, it usually shows right-winger responses first, then the rest.

Algorithms, baby. They rule us all.

All that aside, fuck that guy, and fuck Hobby Lobby.
I think God should have a word with Hobby Lobby's CEO. Call him into the Deity's Office for a little chat.
Old 04-01-20, 09:05 AM
  #3480  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 33,180
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
From the non-political thread:


With the wait and see approach, the state governments are waiting and oh yeah, they will see alright. The post mortem from this should be fun too. "Nobody had any idea it could be this bad." Nobody other than scientists and doctors who you ignored.
The part that I hope makes a dent with Trump is you have him saying that no one knew how bad it was and then you can smash-cut to a briefing with Trump and his experts from three weeks earlier when they said just that. Because he has been so public with his comments, it's harder for him to hide behind his Twitter account. If he participates in a debate, I hope Biden hammers him on this stuff - the dates are so clear and he's dropped so many one-liners like "anyone who wants a test can get a test" and "I take no responsibility" that's it has to hurt him. Especially when pretty much everyone is going to know someone who died from this.
Old 04-01-20, 09:37 AM
  #3481  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,830
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
MoscowMitch and his ilk canít keep blaming the impeachment when there are assholes like Nunes criticizing the measures states have taken to control the pandemic

https://twitter.com/newsweek/status/...596487168?s=21
If an idiot like Nunes thinks closing schools is a bad idea, then it's probably a very good idea!
Old 04-01-20, 09:39 AM
  #3482  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,982
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
If an idiot like Nunes thinks closing schools is a bad idea, then it's probably a very good idea!
I think Santa Claus is already able to see where Nunes falls in the naughty/nice categories this year.
Old 04-01-20, 09:51 AM
  #3483  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,279
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
In addition to that, by delaying their stay-at-home orders, they're making it even harder to manage, because it could create a staggered outcome of identifiable cases. I can't recall if I read it here or heard it elsewhere, but everything we see today is, more or less, the result of decisions made 2-3 weeks ago, and that will continue as time passes. 2-3 weeks from now will show results for decisions made today.
I just looked at my governor's latest tweet:

"
Our current number of COVID-19 cases in Arkansas is lower than the projected number of cases provided by @ADHPIO last week. This is good news for us. The red line means that we are having success in our social distancing and in following the guidelines and directives that have been set. Our goal is to stay below the blue line of projected cases. "

Wow, he really thinks our state is special and we are beating this thing because our actual numbers are below some projection for a small period of time. We've only tested 6000 ppl here.
Old 04-01-20, 09:57 AM
  #3484  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,237
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I can't recall if I read it here or heard it elsewhere, but everything we see today is, more or less, the result of decisions made 2-3 weeks ago, and that will continue as time passes. 2-3 weeks from now will show results for decisions made today.
It's even worse. "Recognition time" for a bad decision:
- 2-3 weeks for new infection.

- 4-6 weeks for death. Once a person catches Covid-19, the recovery or death outcome can take more than a month to be decided. The risk of death hangs there for a long time, and so does the burden on the health care system.

- Or longer if a lock-down policy is not applied uniformly. Singapore and Korea continue to have a nagging problem after they mostly controlled the outbreak, and a lot of that is due to "imported" cases -- foreigners or locals returning from abroad bringing the virus in. In the US because of our non-uniform lock-down practice, NY can put things under tight control, but they have the risk of some guy coming back from a beach party in FL with the virus. The clock doesn't start until FL locks down same as NY, or NY closes its border (which it cannot do).
Old 04-01-20, 09:58 AM
  #3485  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 32,553
Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The part that I hope makes a dent with Trump is you have him saying that no one knew how bad it was and then you can smash-cut to a briefing with Trump and his experts from three weeks earlier when they said just that. Because he has been so public with his comments, it's harder for him to hide behind his Twitter account. If he participates in a debate, I hope Biden hammers him on this stuff - the dates are so clear and he's dropped so many one-liners like "anyone who wants a test can get a test" and "I take no responsibility" that's it has to hurt him. Especially when pretty much everyone is going to know someone who died from this.
Logically, I think you're correct, but this is Trump's America. We have successfully thrown logic and good sense out the window for nearly 4 years now. I feel like I'm living in a horror movie.
Old 04-01-20, 10:05 AM
  #3486  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,879
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
I think God should have a word with Hobby Lobby's CEO. Call him into the Deity's Office for a little chat.
Apparently God speaks to his wife. https://www.businessinsider.com/hobb...rom-god-2020-3

And if they close how will they had the money for their illegal artifact smuggling ring?
Old 04-01-20, 10:19 AM
  #3487  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,997
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

This didn't age well. But of course with all things Trump... no consequences

George Conway can talk shit about Trump until the cows come home but that doesn't diminish the fact he's married to a horrible dangerous woman.


Old 04-01-20, 10:26 AM
  #3488  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,997
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
This is a defining moment in history. Going forward "Pre-Covid" and "Post-Covid" will be common terms to describe many aspects of culture and society in general.

"Remember those pre-covid all you can eat buffets?"

"I got us tickets to the new Star Wars movie"
"Cool! Is the seating pre-covid or post-covid?"

"Remember those pre-covid ATMs where you had to type your PIN on a keypad?"
While many of the changes will be negative, you have to think a lot of things about this society needed changing. A reduction in herd mentality consumerism (which includes gorging at buffets and stuffing into theaters to see a movie the minute it comes out) can actually be a welcome change.
Old 04-01-20, 10:30 AM
  #3489  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,982
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
While many of the changes will be negative, you have to think a lot of things about this society needed changing. A reduction in herd mentality consumerism (which includes gorging at buffets and stuffing into theaters to see a movie the minute it comes out) can actually be a welcome change.
"Introverts unite! ... while maintaining proper social distancing"
Old 04-01-20, 10:35 AM
  #3490  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 33,180
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Logically, I think you're correct, but this is Trump's America. We have successfully thrown logic and good sense out the window for nearly 4 years now. I feel like I'm living in a horror movie.
A fair point - but I do think the avoidable deaths, the crashed economy, the obliteration of 401Ks and the upheaval of life as we know it for years to come (at least) will be enough to turn the tide. The other issues he's oozed his way out of aren't so clear cut and don't affect as many people directly as this has - plus there was always the economy to point to.
Old 04-01-20, 10:40 AM
  #3491  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 29,746
Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
A fair point - but I do think the avoidable deaths, the crashed economy, the obliteration of 401Ks and the upheaval of life as we know it for years to come (at least) will be enough to turn the tide. The other issues he's oozed his way out of aren't so clear cut and don't affect as many people directly as this has - plus there was always the economy to point to.
Avoidable deaths: Birx wouldn't even touch the question of how much better it would have been if they had acted earlier. They don't even entertain the possibility that they could have saved lives. And these are the doctors we're talking about. All you're going to hear is that he saved lives, which is kind of true because if he did what he wanted to many more would have died, so thank goodness someone restrained him. Also, even if they did act late, it's the Dem's fault because impeachment.

Crashed economy: Dem's fault

Obliteration of 401ks: Dem's fault

Upheaval of life as we know it: Dem's fault. Probably the fake media's fault too.
Old 04-01-20, 10:44 AM
  #3492  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,997
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
"Introverts unite! ... while maintaining proper social distancing"

I'm with ya! From 6 feet away of course.
Old 04-01-20, 10:47 AM
  #3493  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,633
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Logically, I think you're correct, but this is Trump's America. We have successfully thrown logic and good sense out the window for nearly 4 years now. I feel like I'm living in a horror movie.
I feel the same way. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with my wheels spinning at full speed and canít get back to sleep. At 3 this morning, I was envisioning if, prior to 9/11, there had been widespread public knowledge that terrorists were planning to use planes as weapons. And even as we saw that successfully carried out in other countries, a bunch of cowardly conservatives were advising against taking any action that could disrupt those plans because it would harm the economy. And then on 9/11, instead of 3 planes, it was 100, hitting every major city in the country and killing 250k citizens. I mean, itís not a perfect analogy, but it doesnít feel that far off from whatís happening. It blows my mind that anyone approves of Trump at this point, let alone nearly half the population. If there was ever any doubt that we are a stupid, stupid nation, itís been bludgeoned to death, fed through a wood chipper and blasted out of a cannon into the ocean.
Old 04-01-20, 10:59 AM
  #3494  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 32,553
Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I feel the same way. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with my wheels spinning at full speed and canít get back to sleep. At 3 this morning, I was envisioning if, prior to 9/11, there had been widespread public knowledge that terrorists were planning to use planes as weapons. And even as we saw that successfully carried out in other countries, a bunch of cowardly conservatives were advising against taking any action that could disrupt those plans because it would harm the economy. And then on 9/11, instead of 3 planes, it was 100, hitting every major city in the country and killing 250k citizens. I mean, itís not a perfect analogy, but it doesnít feel that far off from whatís happening. It blows my mind that anyone approves of Trump at this point, let alone nearly half the population. If there was ever any doubt that we are a stupid, stupid nation, itís been bludgeoned to death, fed through a wood chipper and blasted out of a cannon into the ocean.
This could be POTD (Post of the Day)
Old 04-01-20, 11:00 AM
  #3495  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 29,746
Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

I think he finally stopped his stupid "Chinese virus" takes but a reminder that hey, there's no racism or anything in America that would have been triggered by that, none at all:

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FB...569233691.html
An FBI report obtained by ABC News says the stabbing of three Chinese-Americans at the Sam's in Midland was a hate crime.

The document detailed the incident in which "three Asian American family members, including a 2-year-old and 6-year-old, were stabbed … The suspect indicated that he stabbed the family because he thought the family was Chinese, and infecting people with the coronavirus."
Old 04-01-20, 11:03 AM
  #3496  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,030
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Next time somebody tells you we shouldn't be doing anything because 250,000 deaths is "no big deal", remind them that the shoe bomber killed zero people (ZERO) yet years later we are all still taking off our shoes at the airport.
Old 04-01-20, 11:10 AM
  #3497  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,982
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
MoscowMitch and his ilk can’t keep blaming the impeachment when there are assholes like Nunes criticizing the measures states have taken to control the pandemic

https://twitter.com/newsweek/status/...596487168?s=21
I think Nunes should be voted out of office in November - by any of his surviving constituents.

Yet, I'm sure he still has a solid base of support.

"I like the way Devin thinks, man. I agree with him about things not being so serious, so I'm following his instructions. I go out like I used to, and hang out with friends and family. So far, only 10 of my friends and family members have died from the virus. The boss and two other mechanics at the auto shop where I work are on ventilators. My dog ran away. But still, it's all worth it to keep sticking it to the libs in this state."

Last edited by Kmical; 04-01-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 11:10 AM
  #3498  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,997
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

I long for the day when our biggest threat was shoe bombers
Old 04-01-20, 11:29 AM
  #3499  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 19,131
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Next time somebody tells you we shouldn't be doing anything because 250,000 deaths is "no big deal", remind them that the shoe bomber killed zero people (ZERO) yet years later we are all still taking off our shoes at the airport.
I keep coming back the fact that America undertook a massive cultural social/revolution in the 1960’s and 1970’s and it was triggered by a war that only 58,000 Americans were killed in. The upheaval of lives, the draft, the scramble to get a deferment, the protests, the anger and fear, the complete transformation of society. And it was a war that claimed 58,000 lives.
Old 04-01-20, 11:34 AM
  #3500  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 33,180
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think he finally stopped his stupid "Chinese virus" takes but a reminder that hey, there's no racism or anything in America that would have been triggered by that, none at all:

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FB...569233691.html
I read a story that Asian markets were all stocked up with plenty of food and supplies and people aren't going because...well...Trump, probably.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.