Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-01-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,328 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Okay, update on my daughter :
She's been in London since Wednesday (or Thursday, I can't remember now). Originally (up until a week ago) we had planned to head out there this week to go to Paris first, then visit her in Florence. Obviously those plans got scrapped when she left the country. We explored an alternative itinerary to still go to Paris, meet her there, and then go to Switzerland for a few days. But now she's getting stressed out and thinks she might be getting a runny nose or a sore throat. I don't want it to get worse. So we just decided the best course of action is to get her the hell out while we still can. So she will be coming back tomorrow (hopefully) and we will just be flushing a bunch of cheap European airline tickets down the toilet. Sucks and very expensive to boot, but what can you do? It would be way worse to be stuck in Europe and not able to make it back for work. Or god-forbid have my daughter get quarantined in Europe. Looks like it's a Stay-cation for me instead, I guess. She will start hastily-arraigned online classes next week -- asynchronous, not even live classes because of course everyone is scattered all over the globe in different time zones. Apparently her professors are freaking out because they've never done online classes before. This is not the education I paid a not-so-small fortune to give my daughter. This Coronavirus has become a royal pain in my ass already.
Old 03-01-20, 10:15 PM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Well, I guess the party's over. Coronavirus in Tampa. Governor just declared a state of emergency. I guess there will be a run on the grocery stores.

CBS Channel 10 Story
Old 03-01-20, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts

The advertising on this site gets me.

Old 03-01-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

DeSantis is a goddamn fucking moron. It's a shitty move to scare the public and was not necessary.

According, he can take responsibility for all the mayhem that happens after.
Old 03-01-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts

Does the "public health emergency" open up more funds like a state of emergency does?

Old 03-01-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

And every one seems to be freaking out, when what they should be more measured. The fact that news is INSTANT now will end up hurting more people than helping them. Panic can set in in microseconds now. "State of emergency" over one death in FL? The real emergency is hoping that some sane and reasoned scientists (non-politicians) can succeed in getting people not to panic. Best thing to do is stay home, not make runs for water and TP. Why? Is the power going to suddenly be shut off? No, it's not like the Nation is under atomic attack with mushroom clouds in the sky.
Old 03-01-20, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
She's been in London since Wednesday (or Thursday, I can't remember now). Originally (up until a week ago) we had planned to head out there this week to go to Paris first, then visit her in Florence. Obviously those plans got scrapped when she left the country. We explored an alternative itinerary to still go to Paris, meet her there, and then go to Switzerland for a few days. But now she's getting stressed out and thinks she might be getting a runny nose or a sore throat. I don't want it to get worse. So we just decided the best course of action is to get her the hell out while we still can. So she will be coming back tomorrow (hopefully) and we will just be flushing a bunch of cheap European airline tickets down the toilet. Sucks and very expensive to boot, but what can you do? It would be way worse to be stuck in Europe and not able to make it back for work. Or god-forbid have my daughter get quarantined in Europe. Looks like it's a Stay-cation for me instead, I guess. She will start hastily-arraigned online classes next week -- asynchronous, not even live classes because of course everyone is scattered all over the globe in different time zones. Apparently her professors are freaking out because they've never done online classes before. This is not the education I paid a not-so-small fortune to give my daughter. This Coronavirus has become a royal pain in my ass already.
Sorry this sucks so much, but better to be safe.
Old 03-02-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
...So we just decided the best course of action is to get her the hell out while we still can.
With people going into a panic mode, this is the smartest thing to do. Who knows what restrictions will go into place in foreign countries and (this country) as the panic continues to mount. Better for your daughter to travel while she can still easily travel and put your family's minds at ease.
Old 03-02-20, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
And every one seems to be freaking out, when what they should be more measured. The fact that news is INSTANT now will end up hurting more people than helping them. Panic can set in in microseconds now. "State of emergency" over one death in FL? The real emergency is hoping that some sane and reasoned scientists (non-politicians) can succeed in getting people not to panic. Best thing to do is stay home, not make runs for water and TP. Why? Is the power going to suddenly be shut off? No, it's not like the Nation is under atomic attack with mushroom clouds in the sky.
One CASE in Florida so far, not a death.
Old 03-02-20, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

whew, no deaths in FL yet, sorry for jumping the gun. Decker, I'm glad your personal situation will be resolved soon. Guess your daughter will be your houseguest for some time. I wouldn't be doing any unnecessary travel as well, not because I personally am panicing or fear that I would catch the virus, but out of fear for getting stranded in a foreign country, which would be exceedingly expensive and risky since I've no health insurance there, and would be forced to pay any and all health expenses out of pocket.
Old 03-02-20, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Decker ... I am glad your daughter will be home safe with you and your family.
Old 03-02-20, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Not agreeing or disagreeing that media is playing a role. Think the bigger issue is the incredibly inconsistent messaging this administration is giving out. And putting a unqualified dumb ass in charge.

John Oliver (obviously no expert) does think not licking subway poles is a reasonable precaution.

edit to add - video may be NSFW due to language

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-02-20 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Decker, glad you daughter is ok. I’d be freaking out as well.

Old 03-02-20, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Until I start having dreams of old black woman on her porch I'm not going to worry.
Old 03-02-20, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Well, I guess the party's over. Coronavirus in Tampa. Governor just declared a state of emergency. I guess there will be a run on the grocery stores.

CBS Channel 10 Story

Old 03-02-20, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

For my mother-in-law's 80th birthday, we are (were?) going to take her on a Mediterranean cruise this summer. My mother-in-law is freaking out about the Coronavirus. Not sure what to do because we have already put down a lot of money on this.
Old 03-02-20, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 621 Likes on 411 Posts

but out of fear for getting stranded in a foreign country, which would be exceedingly expensive and risky since I've no health insurance there, and would be forced to pay any and all health expenses out of pocket.
Thereís a strong likelihood that youíd be paying more in the U.S. ó even with insurance! ó than you would almost anywhere else in the world. For instance:

An MRI scan, which helps us to identify any problems with our bones or organs, is the lowest costing procedure listed here. In Burkina Faso, it costs an average of $100, whereas in the United States it can cost as much as $1,150, which is more than double the average worldwide cost.Prices in the USA look even more extreme when we compare the cost of an intermediate operation, such as a hernia repair or having your appendix removed. In Ethiopia you could expect to pay just $100, but in the United States, it could cost as much as $13,675, which is more than 4 times the worldwide average cost of $3,200.

The most expensive operation listed here is the heart bypass, which is a procedure that improves blood flow to the heart. At its most expensive, this surgery can cost as much as $67,500 in the United States, compared to just $1,110 in Luxembourg Ė a difference of $66,390.
Then, of course, there are stories like:

Old 03-02-20, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle;[url=tel:13696277
13696277[/url]]And every one seems to be freaking out, when what they should be more measured. The fact that news is INSTANT now will end up hurting more people than helping them. Panic can set in in microseconds now. "State of emergency" over one death in FL? The real emergency is hoping that some sane and reasoned scientists (non-politicians) can succeed in getting people not to panic. Best thing to do is stay home, not make runs for water and TP. Why? Is the power going to suddenly be shut off? No, it's not like the Nation is under atomic attack with mushroom clouds in the sky.
I halfway agree with you. Iím less concerned personally about the virus than supply chains breaking down and creating shortages. I donít want to be in a situation where my household is wiping their asses with rags and washing them for reuse because a major region for toilet paper supply is on lockdown. I think itís entirely reasonable to have a monthís supply of any necessities on hand.
Old 03-02-20, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 319 Likes on 231 Posts

Wife just got back from NY and appears to have a cold.

It's been nice knowing all of you
Old 03-02-20, 07:31 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post

Stick your head in an oven. Some people say... that heat kills viruses.
Old 03-02-20, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Thereís a strong likelihood that youíd be paying more in the U.S. ó even with insurance! ó than you would almost anywhere else in the world. For instance:

Then, of course, there are stories like:

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/statu...914251776?s=21
Uninsured healthcare is stupid expensive (I have my story about getting 30 minutes help at the ER and bills for $13,000 + $1090 + $350).

But that guy needs to find a new dentist. My dentist offered to crown my two front teeth (childhood faceplant ... one cap falls off every few years) for $750 each. And that's at a normal, respected dentist office in Phoenix. Maybe that guy's dentist is in Manhattan or something. Or, it's that thing where sad people exaggerate to make themselves feel more hopeless. Dude definitely needs to shop around.
Old 03-02-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

My ex wife is heading to Egypt for 10 days next weekend. I think the flight there is through Paris, but the way home is through Italy. Personally I’d eat the ticket but she’s always been nuts. I totally understand not living in fear of this thing, but getting stuck in a foreign country would be a nightmare.
Old 03-02-20, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a good, fact-based write-up by Elad Gil. Audience is founders of startups so it's more advice for heads of business, but it's a good read. tl;dr Coronavirus is going to spread worldwide but it's likely not as fatal as we feared. However, since we don't want to overwhelm hospitals by all getting sick at once, quarantines will be necessary.

Elad Blog: Coronavirus (COVID-19) PSA for Startups
Old 03-02-20, 08:41 AM

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post

Traveled to Orlando two weeks ago, my wife got sick, then I did. It's going away now. It was freaky though.
Old 03-02-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus;[url=tel:13696371
13696371[/url]]This is a good, fact-based write-up by Elad Gil. Audience is founders of startups so it's more advice for heads of business, but it's a good read. tl;dr Coronavirus is going to spread worldwide but it's likely not as fatal as we feared. However, since we don't want to overwhelm hospitals by all getting sick at once, quarantines will be necessary.

Elad Blog: Coronavirus (COVID-19) PSA for Startups
Thatís a very good overview. One of my wifeís childhood friends is an epidemiologist with the CDC. We spoke with her last week and this echoes a lot of what she told us. The stocking up on meds is especially good advice. I have severe asthma thatís pretty much nonexistent when Iím on my daily meds, but is a nightmare without them, so Iím definitely getting 3-month prescriptions filled this week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.