Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-19-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
This should be treated like Iran having nukes. Demand oversight. Sanction. Pull business, etc. We need to know what is happening there. If they refuse, we treat them like a hostile government. They say they're closed, but they have said that before and re-opened them. They control their media. They're kicking out foreign media. We already know they are responsible for cyber attacks on the US. It's the fault of big business for farming so much out to them in the first place, and that will be a massive pain point to change. But I ask, would you rather have things cost more here and not be dependent on China for things like lifesaving medications, or should we just keep buying cheap shit and hope we don't get a third coronavirus that finishes the job the first two have started? Obviously one doesn't automatically follow the other, but my point is we should not be in bed with a country whose practices result in life threatening viruses traversing the globe.

I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but China is showing us they have no regard for the safety of the world. They are causing damage to the planet with their manufacturing methods. Their goal is to be the US, not work with the US. They have to be curbed.
How about we take care of business at home before telling other what to do?

- Have a viable healthcare system
- not fire your entire pandemic team
- use readily available WHO testing instead it of starting over
- not blowing making the first round of tests
- not having POTUS claim this is a hoax and ignoring and claim its under control when 15 were infected
- not have congressmen going on TV telling people to go to bars and restaurants
​​​​​​- not having governors tweeting about taking their family to a crowded restaurant

Im not denying China could do more. But there will always be something. And it takes preparation and leadership in this country to properly deal with. Something we don’t currently have.
Old 03-19-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

- not having POTUS claim this is a hoax and ignoring and claim its under control when 15 were infected
​​​​​​- not having governors tweeting about taking their family to a crowded restaurant

Im not denying China could do more. But there will always be something. And it takes preparation and leadership in this country to properly deal with. Something we don’t currently have.
The WHO tests which were "readily available" were giving False Positives. This is why the CDC wanted to create their own. I had to backtrack on this one because I too, thought the CDC was slow and why didn't they just accept WHO's tests. Now I know why and I'm glad the CDC didn't use them. We got enough problems already.

But yeah, let's test everyone with the WHO tests.

POTUS has NOT said the virus was a hoax. For the X amount of time, he was referring to the media claiming he wasn't doing anything about it (which was a hoax as POTUS was doing many things about it, so Trump was referring to the media as spreading the hoax about him NOT doing anything). Here, even look at your own biased fact-checking source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

As to "fired your entire pandemic team", once again, here's another biased Left source that even gives your statement doubt: https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...st-about-trum/

However, other than that nonsense, I will agree politicians should not be tweeting about telling people that it's ok to go to bars or anything that contradicts current local and federal laws, even if it's their opinion.
Old 03-19-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Really, how so? I wanna call it the CNNMSNBC-2020 Virus.

Trump was the first person to block Chinese influx to the US. You saying that was wrong and we should have a shitload more of them coming into the US with no restrictions on that country at all?

I'm glad you're Captain Marvel, but the rest of us aren't.
Dude, you have Trump beer goggles. He's not as hot as you think he is.

Everyone here said that blocking travel from China was the right thing to do, but you definitely don't want to talk about him downplaying the crisis, calling it a hoax, failing to get supplies and tests to hospitals, failing to increasing hospital capacity, discouraging rather than encouraging testing, etc. Did telling people it was a hoax help anything?

Compare that to your nonsensical bullshit about how CNN or MSNBC actively made things worse. Good luck.
Old 03-19-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

Fox to Address Coronavirus Crisis with Three-Part Series on Hunter Biden

Okay, it's satire, but that headline was awesome.

Satirical article here
Old 03-19-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

The President wasn't doing shit about it for the first couple of weeks. It wasn't until about Wednesday or Thursday of last week that the ball started moving. That was when we started to get confirmed cases among the wealthy and connected. Until then this was a rally cry for him.
Old 03-19-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 141 Posts

Really, how so? I wanna call it the CNNMSNBC-2020 Virus.
So CNN and MSNBC helped in spreading the virus more because they blew it all out of proportion?
And Trump/Fox downplaying it, calling it a hoax and not taking it seriously helped contain the virus?

Is that what you're saying?
Old 03-19-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

POTUS has NOT said the virus was a hoax. For the X amount of time, he was referring to the media claiming he wasn't doing anything about it (which was a hoax as POTUS was doing many things about it, so Trump was referring to the media as spreading the hoax about him NOT doing anything). Here, even look at your own biased fact-checking source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/
"And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something thatís been pretty amazing. Weíre 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that." As usual, the president's unclear way of speaking doesn't help. Is that someone calling the virus a hoax or not? He says "this is their new hoax" and then brags about how we only have 15 cases. MAYBE he wasn't calling the virus a hoax, but he was downplaying the significance of it, just like when he kept talking about the flu. Don't worry about Covid-19; the flu is much worse. Very helpful.
Old 03-19-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Yeah way too much focus on China right now. I don't give a shit. Get the tests out.

The WHO tests which were "readily available" were giving False Positives. This is why the CDC wanted to create their own. I had to backtrack on this one because I too, thought the CDC was slow and why didn't they just accept WHO's tests. Now I know why and I'm glad the CDC didn't use them. We got enough problems already.
GTFO with this. Trump said "anyone who wants a test can get a test" on MARCH 6TH and compared the tests to his perfect phone call.

“But as of right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test — that’s the important thing — and the tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect, right? This was not as perfect as that, but pretty good,” Trump said.
Old 03-19-20, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 456 Likes on 360 Posts

And of course surprising absolutely no one...

Old 03-19-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The President wasn't doing shit about it for the first couple of weeks. It wasn't until about Wednesday or Thursday of last week that the ball started moving. That was when we started to get confirmed cases among the wealthy and connected. Until then this was a rally cry for him.
Maybe he could have focused better on attacking it early if the Trump haters and left weren't so focused on the ridiculous impeachment attempt which is now a distant memory. Tom Cotton tried to sound the alarm bells early in Congress back in January saying we were looking at a Chernobyl size event and no one would listen.
Old 03-19-20, 01:25 PM

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

It's apparent that we need two separate COVID-19 threats. One in Politics for all the political bitching and finger pointing and one with real news.
Old 03-19-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 861 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Maybe he could have focused better on attacking it early if the Trump haters and left weren't so focused on the ridiculous impeachment attempt which is now a distant memory. Tom Cotton tried to sound the alarm bells early in Congress back in January saying we were looking at a Chernobyl size event and no one would listen.
Are you saying that the impeachment trial prevented him from getting enough information to NOT downplay it in public and reassure people that the regular flu was much worse and that it might just go away?

Let me ask you this... do you find anything wrong with his response or was it just perfect and the media and the Democrats just got in the way?

And holy crap with that Burr meeting.
Old 03-19-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
It's apparent that we need two separate COVID-19 threats. One in Politics for all the political bitching and finger pointing and one with real news.
I'm all for that.
Old 03-19-20, 01:37 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

It would be impossible for me to sort things out at this point, but I started a new NON-POLITICAL thread here:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...al-thread.html
Old 03-19-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 558 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
And of course surprising absolutely no one...

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1240669835790557184?s=20
This guy has always been a fucking weasel and his branch of politicians here in NC are the ones causing more problems as they are contradicting the mandates from the CDC and the Governor. Itís the reason why most people in the state, including myself are still working from the office instead of from home
Old 03-19-20, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone know or suspect how long the quarantine / social distancing will last ?
Old 03-19-20, 01:58 PM
Admin

Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Does anyone know or suspect how long the quarantine / social distancing will last ?
Depends on the testing data, which is complete trash right now, so I'd say a couple of months minimum. If people keep hoarding like they are, we are going to have people getting really hungry.
Old 03-19-20, 02:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I think he thinks if he says it then its true.
Old 03-19-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
https://twitter.com/EmmaKinery/statu...76267063640064

I think he thinks if he says it then its true.
I starting watching the confidence and had to turn it off. He was a joke.

Also, why are everyone of these late? I realize itís not the most important issue. But seriously, your addressing the nation and canít freaking start on time? And still sound like your pulling shit out your ass?
Old 03-19-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He really is the most horrible person in the world.

Old 03-19-20, 02:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 582 Likes on 418 Posts

Good guy billionaire, right?
Old 03-19-20, 02:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is Chanel Earlier.
Old 03-19-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

Nobody is going to be buying Teslas if they have no money and are desolate. Or dead.
Old 03-19-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect already. Once we're straightened out here, we look to prevent from abroad. The response from this government has been abysmal. Trump has done some good economically for the country but that has all been wiped out by his handling of this IMO. He should not get a second term. But damn, not sure Hillary would have done a whole lot better or Biden will. Always the lesser of two evils with this system. There were a couple democrat candidates I liked but of course they have no shot with the "establishment" but I digress.

And FWIW I agree with all your points.
Old 03-19-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My poor wife is dealing with her stupid Mom. She's in her 60s and really not the brightest tool in the shed.

She went to Golden Corral on Monday? Sunday? despite my wife warning her over and over again not to go out. "My stomach got the best of me" (and her daughter-in-law, also stupid and typically seems very borderline personality disorder and loves fucking drama, wanted to go). On Wed she went door to door wither her pastor visiting people in their houses. Today she was texting my wife about how said daughter in law thinks this is a hoax and an excuse to insert microchips into people like the Mark of the Beast in the bible.

One of her coworkers, a social worker who works with tons of mentally ill and homeless people, went and hooked up via a social media sex app last night.

This shit is gonna spread like crazy. *sigh*

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.