Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-19-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I REALLY wish this thread wasnít in the politics subsection. Seriously this is getting ridiculous and burying some good information and discussion about the virus.

Can we have a separate ďbitch about the politics of COVID-19Ē thread and move this one to Otter?
I second this and I absolutely will not contribute to derailing it if it does wind up in Otter.
Old 03-19-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think the reason it was brought up is because otter gets a lot more traffic from people that would never come into here.
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
This. I was surprised there wasnít a thread and had to go looking. I know it technically fits in here but itís like 75% political bitching now.
It's funny because I actually accidentally started the thread in Otterville and was quickly told - twice - that it should really be put here before I could even move it as intended. There's no pleasing the Otters
Old 03-19-20, 11:42 AM

Every day since I returned from my trip a week ago there have been new restrictions placed at my hospital. Limiting visitors to immediate family members only, then only two, then only between 12-6pm, now no visitors at all. Cafeteria only for hospital employees now. Elective surgeries and procedures all cancelled. Screening to enter the hospital has gotten really strict. It's wild. And the whole lobby area was empty except two employees behind the desk at Admitting. Feels very much I Am Legend now. It's weird.

My office has slowed dramatically. I am not cancelling appointments, but many patients are, understandably. This is going to be a HUGE hit for me financially. And if I get COVID, we'd have to close the place down for weeks. We are all wearing masks now. They are hard to come by. My wife was able to get some from a couple of dentists' office as they have had to close completely
Old 03-19-20, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 567 Likes on 409 Posts

There should be multiple threads for the varying aspects of all this (medical news, political shit, life hacks for survival, etc.) but they all belong in this subforum, IMO.
We already have multiple threads going, so... start one that's specifically about medical news.

This forum tends to be too heavy on "all encompassing" threads (probably because of The Dark Knight, right? ) but I think more threads about specific aspects makes far more sense here.
Old 03-19-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=tanman;[url=tel:13707313]13707313[/url]]Corticosteroids
These are not recommended unless a patient is in septic shock or has another underlying reason like COPD exacerbation or treatment. They may increase replication of the virus according to studies on MERS-CoV.[/QUOTE]

Iím assuming this only applies to people who have tested positive for COVID-19 or at least have symptoms? Iíve been on a daily corticosteroid (and 2 other drugs) for 12 years to control my asthma. Once they dialed my meds in, Iíve done extremely well, with basically no significant breathing issues for over a decade. Would hate to have to go off them now, as Iím paranoid about the asthma roaring back.
Old 03-19-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts

Blah you bunch of panzies. I rather like the "Chinese Virus" jab Trump gives.. Those wet farms in China have always been a risk. China knew it (SARS for example) and outlawed it a couple of times but they opened again after pressure from the rich. If the world doesn't shame them into being responsible then history shows they won't be and this will happen again and again.. but how DARE we make anyone feel bad or hold anyone responsible for anything right? Except Trump of course.
Old 03-19-20, 11:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Blah you bunch of panzies. I rather like the "Chinese Virus" jab Trump gives.. Those wet farms in China have always been a risk. China knew it (SARS for example) and outlawed it a couple of times but they opened again after pressure from the rich. If the world doesn't shame them into being responsible then history shows they won't be and this will happen again and again.. but how DARE we make anyone feel bad or hold anyone responsible for anything right? Except Trump of course.
As has been stated repeatedly, calling it The Chinese Virus won't shame the Chinese government. Do you think they give a shit?
No, instead you're shaming and stigmatizing hundreds of millions of innocent Chinese people all around the world. How are they responsible? Why should they be shamed and harassed?

God, what a dumb argument. Amazing how far people will go to defend or hand-wave blatant racism.
Old 03-19-20, 11:54 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I find it frustrating that people blame the Chinese. The Chinese didn’t invent this virus. America did. They just copied it. Like they copy everything. The Chinese don’t have the ability to make anything like this. The only thing they have the ability do is copy stuff.
Old 03-19-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I find it frustrating that people blame the Chinese. The Chinese didnít invent this virus. America did. They just copied it. Like they copy everything. The Chinese donít have the ability to make anything like this. The only thing they have the ability do is copy stuff.
Dang, dude - racially stereotype much?
Old 03-19-20, 12:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Dang, dude - racially stereotype much?
It's just "jokes" man.

So are we going to call it a non-binary virus or are we not there yet.
"The right is starting to get better at comedy, and it's making lefties nervous."

Last edited by Dan; 03-19-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 03-19-20, 12:15 PM
Admin

Received 306 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
The wet markets likely caused this outbreak and I agree they are a problem, but a real leader doesn't point fingers and try to assign blame. A real leader gets the country back on its feet by bringing everyone together and being a calming presence, I believe there is a way to criticize the Chinese practice of the wet markets without childish labels on the virus. It's just another example of how unfit Trump is to be POTUS.
Old 03-19-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's just "jokes" man.

"The right is starting to get better at comedy, and it's making lefties nervous."

Old 03-19-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts

It's ironic that the people that are all for calling it the China virus also seem to be Trump supporters or right-wing.

What helped this spread in China? The government bowing down to the wishes of the rich and allowing these markets to stay open. They also are lax in regulations and letting business control everything at the detriment of regular people and the environment. This was further exacerbated by the government doubling down on misinformation and downplaying the severity so they don't look bad.

Hmm, I wonder what other party is known for letting the rich and businesses run rampant, while also trafficking in deliberate misinformation.

If Trump had the power of the Chinese government here, we would look exactly like China. And his kids would probably run game hunting of exotic species here in this country.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-19-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Stock news: All Trump DOW gains now wiped out. Oy.

Any investors out there with advice. Taken a big loss here , like everyone else, I'm sure, on 10 years of investments. Talked to my investment banker yesterday who said do nothing. Stay the course. My first crisis, really.

What's everyone else doing during this volatility?
There's a thread in the regular Other forum about this. The "do nothing" has been my approach, to some extent. For my main retirement account I haven't made any adjustments. I think/hope I still have enough time before I need to tap into that that it will return. For my ROTH account I did sell off everything that was in the positive (except a couple of tech/biotech stocks) to have some cash ready. Everything negative though I'm leaving alone. Remember you don't "lock in" loses until you sell.
Old 03-19-20, 12:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
It's ironic the people that the people all for calling it the China virus also seem to be Trump supporters or right-wing.

What helped this spread in China? The government bowing down to the wishes of the rich and allowing these markets to stay open. They also are lax in regulations and letting business control everything at the detriment of regular people and the environment. This was further exacerbated by the government doubling down on misinformation and downplaying the severity so they don't look bad.

Hmm, I wonder what other party is known for letting the rich and businesses run rampant, while also trafficking in deliberate misinformation.

If Trump had the power of the Chinese government here, we would look exactly like China. And his kids would probably run game hunting of exotic species here in this country.
Please.
Stop making sense.
You don't want to hurt their feelings.
Old 03-19-20, 12:22 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Every day since I returned from my trip a week ago there have been new restrictions placed at my hospital. Limiting visitors to immediate family members only, then only two, then only between 12-6pm, now no visitors at all. Cafeteria only for hospital employees now. Elective surgeries and procedures all cancelled. Screening to enter the hospital has gotten really strict. It's wild. And the whole lobby area was empty except two employees behind the desk at Admitting. Feels very much I Am Legend now. It's weird.

My office has slowed dramatically. I am not cancelling appointments, but many patients are, understandably. This is going to be a HUGE hit for me financially. And if I get COVID, we'd have to close the place down for weeks. We are all wearing masks now. They are hard to come by. My wife was able to get some from a couple of dentists' office as they have had to close completely
Do you know if ambulance companies have changed their patient pick-up and ambulance decontamination procedures? I heard it increases their time per patient by a lot. In Wuhan they equipped ambulances with negative pressure chambers to keep the virus in.
Old 03-19-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

How do any of us know with 100% certainty that this was not created in a lab and distributed in a wet market, that would end up taking the blame? For all we know this virus could have been brought there by someone from elsewhere and unleashed in an area that their culpability would be lost on. I know this is conspiratorial but can't also be excluded either.
Old 03-19-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm all for calling it the MAGA-virus, as it was fox/trump rhetoric and inaction that made it far worse than it needed to be.
Old 03-19-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
How do any of us know with 100% certainty that this was not created in a lab and distributed in a wet market, that would end up taking the blame? For all we know this virus could have been brought there by someone from elsewhere and unleashed in an area that their culpability would be lost on. I know this is conspiratorial but can't also be excluded either.
Because they've done genetic sequencing on it, and proved that there's no way it was man made.
Old 03-19-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm all for calling it the MAGA-virus, as it was fox/trump rhetoric and inaction that made it far worse than it needed to be.
Really, how so? I wanna call it the CNNMSNBC-2020 Virus.

Trump was the first person to block Chinese influx to the US. You saying that was wrong and we should have a shitload more of them coming into the US with no restrictions on that country at all?

I'm glad you're Captain Marvel, but the rest of us aren't.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-19-20 at 12:33 PM. Reason: i made a boo boo
Old 03-19-20, 12:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Sorry joe. I'll find a new jizzy G for an avatar again.
Old 03-19-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly, and I hope George Soros is investigated.
Old 03-19-20, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Do you know if ambulance companies have changed their patient pick-up and ambulance decontamination procedures? I heard it increases their time per patient by a lot. In Wuhan they equipped ambulances with negative pressure chambers to keep the virus in.
Ambulance transport is not something I deal with on a day-to-day basis. I will ask an ED physician if I see one though.
Old 03-19-20, 12:42 PM

Viruses mutate and transform and spread from ducks to pigs to humans all the time. That is why we see flu every year (and why they almost always come out of China -- China has BY FAR the most domesticated pigs, and pigs are the usual vector for transmitting viruses from birds to humans -- humans can't get sick with viruses directly from birds as I understand it). When we sample to decide which flu strains will be coming next winter, we sample lake waters in China to make that determination.

So I don't know if this was truly a Wet Market illness or if it just happened to "explode" near one. These illnesses usually start in China first since that's where the pigs live.
And there is nothing especially unusual about this particular virus except that it is more deadly and we can't vaccinate for it. Viruses are scary and they happen naturally all the time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.