Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-19-20, 08:00 AM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

It would be nice if we could just ignore the President. He's a non factor in this crisis. The courageous decisions are coming at the state local level. As much as I despise Rick Scott's politics, he self quarantined after being in the presence of that Trump meeting with Bolsonaro and he's been very outspoken about doing the right thing and keeping social distance. And Ron DeSantis was a little late to the party, but it looks like they are closing the beaches now to keep those stupid kids out of there and incubating this shit. And they are also rolling out mobile testing units finally.
Old 03-19-20, 08:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 536 Likes on 385 Posts

There's a mobile testing unit getting setup in my area. I think it may be opening today.
Word from one local news outlet is that they will only administer tests to people clearly showing symptoms. Anyone else will be turned away.

I hope, but have no proof, that once they do that for a week or so, they'll open it up to anyone who wants to get tested, because at least at that point, anyone with zero symptoms can say they didn't have it up until that date and can continue with the distancing safely to avoid getting it. I think it's the not knowing that's driving up anxiety, among other things, right now.
Old 03-19-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
The problem is "China Virus" is feeding into racism so it can't be ignored. The american virus doesn't understand that using certain terms that aren't racist in themselves can feed racism. Well actually I think he does understand that and he is using racist language because he is in fact racist, it isn't just because he is a moron.
I wonder at what point can we get outraged at racist labeling, or is it never ok because it's "only" a distraction and we can't fall for it? Can Trump just say whatever racist thing he wants and we just ignore it because he does even worse things? It seems like an odd point especially considering the CDC's recommendation to not label things that way and the fact that racists are taking the bait and it's actually affecting people?

Old 03-19-20, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I’d rather see it called COVID-19 rather than Chinese Coronavirus but Wuhan Virus is accurate.

Nothing should be said by officials which might encourage retribution against Chinese or or Asian people - that’s fucking stupid and dangerous. However, the Chinese government needs to be made to answer for this once we can focus our attention and efforts there. This is twice now between SARS and COVID-19 with regards to these “wet markets”. The world (not just the US) needs to let them know it is completely unacceptable and no options are off the table to close these things. They’re literally threatening the lives of millions with it.
Old 03-19-20, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts

A Tulsa County man in his 50's tested positive yesterday and died today. Our first death here in Oklahoma. RIP
Old 03-19-20, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Let’s also not forget that when Trump calls it a “Chinese Virus” it can’t be taken in a vacuum. Trump has consistently shown himself to be a racist (among other thing). To even suggest “this time” he doesn’t mean it in a racist way is disingenuous at best.

This is SOP for Trump. He is a racist, be he knows how to purposely pit (in most cases create) an enemy for his clan to unite around. This does many things. Not the least of which is pull attention away from his incompetencies and abject failures.
Old 03-19-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I’d rather see it called COVID-19 rather than Chinese Coronavirus but Wuhan Virus is accurate.

Nothing should be said by officials which might encourage retribution against Chinese or or Asian people - that’s fucking stupid and dangerous. However, the Chinese government needs to be made to answer for this once we can focus our attention and efforts there. This is twice now between SARS and COVID-19 with regards to these “wet markets”. The world (not just the US) needs to let them know it is completely unacceptable and no options are off the table to close these things. They’re literally threatening the lives of millions with it.
And when China says go fuck yourself? Are businesses going to get away from their cheap labor? No. Just like there will be no punishment for the behavior of bad actors here, there will also be no punishment for bad actors there.
Old 03-19-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 623 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
The world (not just the US) needs to let them know it is completely unacceptable and no options are off the table to close these things. They’re literally threatening the lives of millions with it.
What further actions do you think should be taken in China?
A few weeks later, Chinese authorities temporarily banned the buying, selling, and transportation of wild animals in markets, restaurants, and online marketplaces across the country. Farms that breed and transport wildlife were also quarantined and shut down. The ban was expected to stay in place until the coronavirus epidemic ended, Xinhua News reported. But now it's permanent.

Much of China's wildlife trade, according to experts, was already illegal: China's Wildlife Protection Law bans the hunting and selling of endangered species but doesn't apply to all wild animals. But the practice persisted because of lax enforcement and legal loopholes, such as inconsistencies in species' names and online sales of exotic wildlife as pets.

Before the new ban was instated, the Chinese Communist Party announced plans to crack down on illegal wildlife markets and trade across the country, recognizing "shortcomings" in its response to the outbreak.
(source: Business Insider)
Old 03-19-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles
It hasn't been called German Measles for fifty years. It's Rubella.
Old 03-19-20, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
You might have to get to that point where you are writing for that. See my post above.

FYI dosing information for hydroxychloroquine:For COVID-19
Adults:
400 mg PO twice daily on day 1 then 200 mg PO twice daily for 4 daysThere isn't any dosing guidance for pediatrics but for malaria the dosing is usually:Children and Adolescents weighing 31 kg or more: 13 mg (10 mg base)/kg/dose [Max: 800 mg (620 mg base)/dose] PO, then 6.5 mg (5 mg base)/kg/dose [Max: 400 mg (310 mg base)/dose] PO at 6, 24, and 48 hours after the initial dose

Hopefully you won't need to use this information.
Thanks for your helpful information. Good to know there is a pediatric dose to work off of.

Personally I was started on Lisinopril for the past few months and it is freaking me out a bit. Obviouslywwe don't want anyone to have uncontrolled hypertension, but it's not like there aren't any other options. If it were you, would you consider changing to a different BP medicine instead?
Old 03-19-20, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Let’s also not forget that when Trump calls it a “Chinese Virus” it can’t be taken in a vacuum. Trump has consistently shown himself to be a racist (among other thing). To even suggest “this time” he doesn’t mean it in a racist way is disingenuous at best.

This is SOP for Trump. He is a racist, be he knows how to purposely pit (in most cases create) an enemy for his clan to unite around. This does many things. Not the least of which is pull attention away from his incompetencies and abject failures.
That's my reaction. Trump consistently plays the race card. That's why he's being called out on it now. I don't understand the whutabout responses in this forum. By now, we all know what he's doing.

It makes me think of a satire in National Lampoon in the 1970s. In a fictional news story, the American Legion objected to the name "Legionnaire's Disease". They recommended a list alternatives such as the "Dirty Hippy Disease" and the "Commie Pinko Fa**ot Disease". Had it been written today, "Mexican Rapist Disease" would have been on the list.
Old 03-19-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
And when China says go fuck yourself? Are businesses going to get away from their cheap labor? No. Just like there will be no punishment for the behavior of bad actors here, there will also be no punishment for bad actors there.
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
What further actions do you think should be taken in China?
(source: Business Insider)
This should be treated like Iran having nukes. Demand oversight. Sanction. Pull business, etc. We need to know what is happening there. If they refuse, we treat them like a hostile government. They say they're closed, but they have said that before and re-opened them. They control their media. They're kicking out foreign media. We already know they are responsible for cyber attacks on the US. It's the fault of big business for farming so much out to them in the first place, and that will be a massive pain point to change. But I ask, would you rather have things cost more here and not be dependent on China for things like lifesaving medications, or should we just keep buying cheap shit and hope we don't get a third coronavirus that finishes the job the first two have started? Obviously one doesn't automatically follow the other, but my point is we should not be in bed with a country whose practices result in life threatening viruses traversing the globe.

I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but China is showing us they have no regard for the safety of the world. They are causing damage to the planet with their manufacturing methods. Their goal is to be the US, not work with the US. They have to be curbed.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 03-19-20 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 321 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thanks for your helpful information. Good to know there is a pediatric dose to work off of.

Personally I was started on Lisinopril for the past few months and it is freaking me out a bit. Obviouslywwe don't want anyone to have uncontrolled hypertension, but it's not like there aren't any other options. If it were you, would you consider changing to a different BP medicine instead?
As you know each choice in medicine is all about risk vs benefit. It depends on your risk of serious complications with COVID-19 vs the benefit on continuing to take an ACEi. I’d say the great majority of folks would benefit more from staying the course and keeping an ACEi or ARB on board. Especially when the data to stop is lacking and based on animal model studies. If you’re taking it purely for HTN and not DM or CHF etc then you could consider changing to something else. If you do get sick and are already on an ACEi it might be a good idea to start and ARB on top of it. Theoretically the ARB would compete with the virus for ACE2 and get blocked out. That’s all theory though and nothing tested clinically that I know of.

Either way I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 03-19-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post

ACEi and ARB
There is conflicting information about ACEi and ARBs. These are medications for hypertension. The theoretical problem is that they can upregulate ACE2 in the heart which is an entry point into the cell from the virus. However, there is no solid evidence of the negative effects of a person on an ACEi or an ARB in regards to COVID-19. In addition to this there are countless studies that have shown the benefit of taking an ACEi or an ARB in certain populations. Furthermore, there have been experimental studies showing that ACEi and ARBs can reduce severe lung injury in certain viral pneumonias. So if you are taking an ACEi or an ARB then keep taking it. The American Heart association has released a statement saying just that.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...ts-in-covid-19
Thank you for this. This echoes my own doctor's sentiments but it's good to see it corraborated.
Old 03-19-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I REALLY wish this thread wasn’t in the politics subsection. Seriously this is getting ridiculous and burying some good information and discussion about the virus.

Can we have a separate “bitch about the politics of COVID-19” thread and move this one to Otter?
Old 03-19-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yes, this is nothing but an example of “political correctness”.
A month from now when the supply chains HAVEN'T recovered and store shelves are mostly empty, I doubt you'll care what the virus is called. I'm not saying that is not an issue... but this thing is far, far more serious than wringing hands over what name the toddler-in-chief decides to use.
Old 03-19-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
A Tulsa County man in his 50's tested positive yesterday and died today. Our first death here in Oklahoma. RIP

And yet, he didn't have it two days ago ... [sarcasm]
Old 03-19-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

It hasn't been called German Measles for fifty years. It's Rubella.
And Spanish Flu originated in the US, but it got called Spanish Flu largely because Spain wasn’t involved in WWI and we were pissed at them.

Diseases seem to get named for petty reasons, so of course Trump would try to continue the trend.

We should name it after the guy who helped it spread. The Trump Flu can be his legacy.
Old 03-19-20, 09:24 AM

I mean the Forum is actually "Religion, Politics & World Events". It certainly is a World Event. I think it is in the right forum, but I do see politics hijacking the thread a bit.
Old 03-19-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
And Spanish Flu originated in the US, but it got called Spanish Flu largely because Spain wasn’t involved in WWI and we were pissed at them.

Diseases seem to get named for petty reasons, so of course Trump would try to continue the trend.

We should name it after the guy who helped it spread. The Trump Flu can be his legacy.
Using his tactics ... it is the Orange Fever: the best, most perfect, and strongest American virus ever. It is a beautiful virus even. Good viruses here.
Old 03-19-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles
It's a misnomer. It did not start in Spain. It was France. The Spanish media at the time where the first to honestly report on the virus.
Old 03-19-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Using his tactics ... it is the Orange Fever: the best, most perfect, and strongest American virus ever. It is a beautiful virus even. Good viruses here.
I would prefer we simply go with "the Trump Virus".

Let's name it after the person most responsible for its spread in this country.
Old 03-19-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what will happen if India or any country America gets cheap labor from falls apart. There many businesses that have many mission critical portions of their business tied into other countries. Like they have the entire accounts payable department in India. Of coarse I have no idea how India is doing in general. They might be doing better than us minus the attack on infected people that happen there.
Old 03-19-20, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

I mean the Forum is actually "Religion, Politics & World Events". It certainly is a World Event. I think it is in the right forum, but I do see politics hijacking the thread a bit.
I think the reason it was brought up is because otter gets a lot more traffic from people that would never come into here.
Old 03-19-20, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think the reason it was brought up is because otter gets a lot more traffic from people that would never come into here.
This. I was surprised there wasn’t a thread and had to go looking. I know it technically fits in here but it’s like 75% political bitching now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.