Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-18-20, 10:00 PM
  #2526  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,029
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

From House Democrats, a (seemingly?) good plan:

Old 03-18-20, 10:03 PM
  #2527  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,696
Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

^ not saying I disagree, but let's get past it already!

In other, possibly positive news, it looks like the drug chloroquine might be promising in mitigating spread and clearing viral load of those already infected with COVID-19.

And first human vaccine trials proceeded *without* using knockout mice or other "model organisms" before testing on people. Hooray!! Real progress in an emergent emergency. Glad they're cutting some of the bullshit to expedite results. Waiting 6 months for mouse trials to complete could cost thousands to 10,000s of lives.
Old 03-18-20, 10:26 PM
  #2528  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 8,398
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post


He takes no responsibility.

But seriously, yes we need to develop a full scale preparedness plan for next time. I just hope it's one more thing on the pile of "things Trump is incapable of doing" and is reflected in November voting booths.

I worry that people will see this like a war (Bush 2) and think that it's not a good time to change presidents.
Think the potentiality may have come up already

Before Trumpís inauguration, a warning: ĎThe worst influenza pandemic since 1918í
In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.


There are no excuses.


Old 03-18-20, 10:29 PM
  #2529  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,444
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
BTW, does anyone seriously think that the Tokyo Olympics will go on as planned at this point? I sure as hell don't.
I certainly donít - flying people from all over the world to congregate together sounds like the worst idea ever these days.
Old 03-18-20, 10:35 PM
  #2530  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,985
Received 2,055 Likes on 1,322 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I certainly donít - flying people from all over the world to congregate together sounds like the worst idea ever these days.
Even though the games aren't until July, there is SO much to do ahead of time, not the least of which is Olympic qualifyers in almost every sport. No way this goes off on time. They should just bite the bullet and move it to 2021 now
Old 03-18-20, 10:55 PM
  #2531  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,078
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Does everyone or do just tax payers receive the 2- 1000 dollar checks from the government as part of the stimulus package?
I donít think anything has been stated or confirmed of the exact details. It seems two 1000 dollar checks is the most common talk but Iíve read stories on different amounts and I havenít seen any firm comments on who will receive them and when.
Old 03-18-20, 11:16 PM
  #2532  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,675
Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Hong Kong did not employ full draconian measures.

Also very curious to see what happens in Japan. They've done very little.
I was referring to shuting down a Covid-19 problem after it has started (in that country). Hong Kong has a small number of infected and deaths, but at no time did they have an uncontrolled outbreak.

I see countries in 3 groups:
1. Able to prevent an outbreak thus far: For example Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Canada. Maybe Japan.
2. Able to stop an outbreak after it started. Only two countries: China and South Korea. Both employed "draconian" measures.
3. Still in the midst of an outbreak: Italy, Iran, Spain, France, USA (well on its way).


It takes only one breach through your virus barrier to start an outbreak (South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines for example) so countries in group 1 must be super-diligent to avoid becoming group 3. I worry about Canada (they should close the border to the US now) and Japan (I think they test too little and recently had a surge in infections. I hope it's not the start of anything big)

Last edited by Psi; 03-19-20 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 03-18-20, 11:36 PM
  #2533  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 32,293
Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Blaming the Chinese government for these markets makes sense, sure. But calling it a Chinese Virus (or any other hilarious variation) doesn't put international pressure on the Chinese government; it gives shitty people an excuse to blame the Chinese (and, generally, Asian) people everywhere, perpetuating trash-tier attitudes towards anyone that looks a certain way. Cornyn knows exactly what he's doing.

edit: also, this.
https://twitter.com/TexHellCat/statu...75153252618240
Blaming China for a known issue is BS.

We know Russia has Nuks. We might try to put international pressure on them. But thatís not al, we freaking do. We negotiate with them directly, we prepare.
Old 03-18-20, 11:40 PM
  #2534  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 2,653
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Does everyone or do just tax payers receive the 2- 1000 dollar checks from the government as part of the stimulus package?

I know how about we create a 1000 Page Bill and a 2 Billion dollar Beauracratic agency to Means Test and figure out who does and "doesn't" deserve a 1000 check for 2-4 months during a Pandemic.
Old 03-19-20, 12:36 AM
  #2535  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,508
Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Hard not to get my hopes up but damn this would be amazing since they're both common and cheap meds...

Old 03-19-20, 12:50 AM
  #2536  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,985
Received 2,055 Likes on 1,322 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Interesting. Zithromax is an antibiotic we often use to treat pneumonia and bronchitis. Very safe.
I never write for Chloralquine because it's used for stuff like malaria that I never see.
Wonder how these would work against a virus. But you are right, they're cheap. A Z-pack cost me $4 last month.
Old 03-19-20, 01:51 AM
  #2537  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,833
Received 319 Likes on 232 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Hospital Update:

We still don't have a positive confirmed case here at the hospital but we keep seeing more and more patients that are being tested. Testing turn around is local and about one day. We may be able to get it in house soon if we test enough people. I'm exhausted. tonight is night 17/18. My partner on the other week got quarantined for 14 days because he went to Europe.

The key is ACE2 - The virus uses it as an entry point into the cells which all of the theories of the medications that work and what to avoid are based off on.

Remdesivir
This is an experimental drug released by the manufacturer on a case by case compassionate use bases for COVID-19. We don't know if it really works or not but there have been a few case studies that are promising. There are currently 5 clinical trials that are being conducted. The first trail results are expected next month. This was originally developed as an all purpose anti-viral and was pushed by Gilead as a possible treatment for Ebola.

Hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine
This is an old drug traditionally used for malaria and usually used now as an anti-inflammatory for rheumatoid arthritis. This is the drug that has the best evidence so far against SARS-CoV-2. Hydroxychloroquine seems to be more potent than chloroquine. Extremely limited data but it seems to limit pneumonia, improve lung imaging findings and shorten the disease course. The way it works is it raises the pH inside intracellular endosomes which prevent the virus from using our cells machinery to make more virus. It also seems to work as a prophylactic by affecting ACE2 thereby decreasing the viruses entry point into the cells. We've been stocking up with hydroxychloroquine for the past week because of this. I feel like we're a little ahead of the curve because we were able to get a sizeable amount.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...VjIL-7deJ7/pub

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Some hopeful news...

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...-trial-results

"A renowned research professor in France has reported successful results from a new treatment for Covid-19, with early tests suggesting it can stop the virus from being contagious in just six days."
HIV medications
It doesn't seem like this is really panning out as a treatment. Some conflicting data out there.

Drugs to Avoid:

Corticosteroids

These are not recommended unless a patient is in septic shock or has another underlying reason like COPD exacerbation or treatment. They may increase replication of the virus according to studies on MERS-CoV.

NSAIDs
It seems like there is growing evidence against the use of NSAIDs non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen for those with the disease because of the way that they tend to increase the amount of ACE2 expression on cells allowing the virus to gain entry. My opinion as a pharmacist is only take an NSAID or Tylenol if you absolutely need it. If you can take Tylenol instead then sure make the switch. But don't take it if you have liver disease and be careful about other products that contain Tylenol. The WHO has official recommended to not take an NSAID if you have coronavirus.

ACEi and ARB
There is conflicting information about ACEi and ARBs. These are medications for hypertension. The theoretical problem is that they can upregulate ACE2 in the heart which is an entry point into the cell from the virus. However, there is no solid evidence of the negative effects of a person on an ACEi or an ARB in regards to COVID-19. In addition to this there are countless studies that have shown the benefit of taking an ACEi or an ARB in certain populations. Furthermore, there have been experimental studies showing that ACEi and ARBs can reduce severe lung injury in certain viral pneumonias. So if you are taking an ACEi or an ARB then keep taking it. The American Heart association has released a statement saying just that.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...ts-in-covid-19
Old 03-19-20, 02:08 AM
  #2538  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,833
Received 319 Likes on 232 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Interesting. Zithromax is an antibiotic we often use to treat pneumonia and bronchitis. Very safe.
I never write for Chloralquine because it's used for stuff like malaria that I never see.
Wonder how these would work against a virus. But you are right, they're cheap. A Z-pack cost me $4 last month.
You might have to get to that point where you are writing for that. See my post above.

FYI dosing information for hydroxychloroquine:For COVID-19
Adults:
400 mg PO twice daily on day 1 then 200 mg PO twice daily for 4 daysThere isn't any dosing guidance for pediatrics but for malaria the dosing is usually:Children and Adolescents weighing 31 kg or more: 13 mg (10 mg base)/kg/dose [Max: 800 mg (620 mg base)/dose] PO, then 6.5 mg (5 mg base)/kg/dose [Max: 400 mg (310 mg base)/dose] PO at 6, 24, and 48 hours after the initial dose

Hopefully you won't need to use this information.
Old 03-19-20, 03:56 AM
  #2539  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 4,873
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Bayer said they will donate the drug hydroxychloroquine to the US government to test its effectiveness.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...ould-help.aspx
Old 03-19-20, 04:24 AM
  #2540  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 8,108
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah but they have to call it out because way too many Americans are fucked up enough to target Asians for violence and discrimination. This is no reason to call it "Chinese Flu" when we have the names "Covid-19" or any other of the official clinical names. The ONLY reason to call it the former is to finger point or to point nutjobs towards Asians.
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles

The media said nothing when they were all calling it the Wuhan Flu or Wuhan Coronavirus. Yet once Trump does it, all of a sudden its racist. China needs to be called out for this mess. They covered it up, lied to the rest of the world, and even tried to blame our military for bringing it there. None of that justifies doing anything to Chinese people, but calling a disease by the region it spawned from isn't racist, it's accurate. Just like with that list there.
Old 03-19-20, 04:43 AM
  #2541  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,208
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles

The media said nothing when they were all calling it the Wuhan Flu or Wuhan Coronavirus. Yet once Trump does it, all of a sudden its racist. China needs to be called out for this mess. They covered it up, lied to the rest of the world, and even tried to blame our military for bringing it there. None of that justifies doing anything to Chinese people, but calling a disease by the region it spawned from isn't racist, it's accurate. Just like with that list there.
The Spanish Flu actually came from Kansas.
Old 03-19-20, 05:13 AM
  #2542  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,980
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles

The media said nothing when they were all calling it the Wuhan Flu or Wuhan Coronavirus. Yet once Trump does it, all of a sudden its racist. China needs to be called out for this mess. They covered it up, lied to the rest of the world, and even tried to blame our military for bringing it there. None of that justifies doing anything to Chinese people, but calling a disease by the region it spawned from isn't racist, it's accurate. Just like with that list there.
Last but not least: The Tijuana Two Step
Old 03-19-20, 05:41 AM
  #2543  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,917
Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
The Spanish Flu actually came from Kansas.
and seventy years later it reappeared here in the person of Sam Brownback

Vibs
Kansas resident since 1997
Old 03-19-20, 05:46 AM
  #2544  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,733
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
Bayer said they will donate the drug hydroxychloroquine to the US government to test its effectiveness.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...ould-help.aspx
I highly doubt they are "donating" anything. These companies get billions in funding from the Fed. They are just creating a placemark at the Pharm table.
Old 03-19-20, 05:59 AM
  #2545  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,696
Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
Bayer said they will donate the drug hydroxychloroquine to the US government to test its effectiveness.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...ould-help.aspx
How awfully nice of them! You can bet their greedy asses that they wouldn't be "donating" any drug unless it is cheap and plentiful, and out-of-patent like hydroxychloroquine has been for decades (according to a quick search its patents expired almost 50 years ago, in 1972). They got lucky this time and are patting themselves on the back. Well, FU, Bayer.
Old 03-19-20, 06:07 AM
  #2546  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,208
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

So, it’s a good thing they did this?
Old 03-19-20, 06:14 AM
  #2547  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,863
Received 356 Likes on 262 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
So, itís a good thing they did this?
Not according to the two previous posters. They would rather see people like me die.
Old 03-19-20, 06:59 AM
  #2548  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 8,398
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So in that case, should we also change the name of these viruses so they're not offending anyone?

West Nile Virus
Lyme Disease
Spanish Flu
Ebola
Zika Virus
Gerrman Measles

The media said nothing when they were all calling it the Wuhan Flu or Wuhan Coronavirus. Yet once Trump does it, all of a sudden its racist. China needs to be called out for this mess. They covered it up, lied to the rest of the world, and even tried to blame our military for bringing it there. None of that justifies doing anything to Chinese people, but calling a disease by the region it spawned from isn't racist, it's accurate. Just like with that list there.


just sayin'...
Old 03-19-20, 07:54 AM
  #2549  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 24,615
Received 618 Likes on 411 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
The media said nothing when they were all calling it the Wuhan Flu or Wuhan Coronavirus. Yet once Trump does it, all of a sudden its racist.
I haven't seen those phrases used since the outbreak started to spread. There's a reason why the multiple threads in Other and this subforum have "Coronavirus" (sans Wuhan) in their titles; because that's how it was being referred to in the media.

When I search Google News for "wuhan flu", what comes up? The Federalist, National Review, Immigration Blog, American Greatness, Daily Mail, The Washington Times, and The Trumpet. "The media" hasn't been calling it that to any meaningful extent for ages; overwhelmingly just tiny local outlets and right-wing xenophobes these days. The only references I see in more mainstream publications anymore are basically saying "don't be an asshole like these guys". (Other sites, like The Daily Beast, seem to be using it in their OpenGraph/schema.org markup, so that phrase will show up in headlines on other outlets/platforms but doesn't appear in the body of the articles themselves.)
Old 03-19-20, 07:59 AM
  #2550  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Baron Of Hell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle and sometimes hell
Posts: 6,129
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
re: COVID-19 POLITICAL Thread

The problem is "China Virus" is feeding into racism so it can't be ignored. The american virus doesn't understand that using certain terms that aren't racist in themselves can feed racism. Well actually I think he does understand that and he is using racist language because he is in fact racist, it isn't just because he is a moron.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.