Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer

Old 02-13-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I still cannot believe how Trump supporters do not care about his bullshit bone spurs.
Because it's just an issue anymore since most of the previous Presidents (Clinton and Bush 43) didn't serve either (Bush was in the National Guard, but we all know Daddy Bush hooked him up). Clinton really ended the 'not serving' in Vietnam issue in 1992 as he was the first real candidate to advance in the Primaries. I have always said that Clinton pretty much paved the way for Trump getting elected. Clinton did not serve in the military, Clinton had several affairs that came up during the campaign, Clinton fucked an intern while President, Clinton was accused of rape and sexual harrassment while he was President when he was Governor, Clinton admitted to smoking pot when he was in College. All of these problems would have disqualified any Presidential Candidate before Clinton, but he was the teflon don before Trump became teflon Don part 2. Whether we like it or not, people just don't care about this stuff anymore regarding a President like they did before Clinton and Trump.
Old 02-13-20, 02:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Because it's just an issue anymore since most of the previous Presidents (Clinton and Bush 43) didn't serve either (Bush was in the National Guard, but we all know Daddy Bush hooked him up). Clinton really ended the 'not serving' in Vietnam issue in 1992 as he was the first real candidate to advance in the Primaries. I have always said that Clinton pretty much paved the way for Trump getting elected. Clinton did not serve in the military, Clinton had several affairs that came up during the campaign, Clinton fucked an intern while President, Clinton was accused of rape and sexual harrassment while he was President when he was Governor, Clinton admitted to smoking pot when he was in College. All of these problems would have disqualified any Presidential Candidate before Clinton, but he was the teflon don before Trump became teflon Don part 2. Whether we like it or not, people just don't care about this stuff anymore regarding a President like they did before Clinton and Trump.
It's not that Trump didn't serve - it's that he denigrates those who did and claims to know more than they do while those who support him claim to be pro-military.
It's not that Trump had affairs - it's that those who continuously chastise liberal politicians for the same thing seem to claim Trump as their Christian saviour.
It's the blatant hypocrisy and duplicity of those who claim to hold these values that bothers the rest of us, while they attempt to regulate our behavior to conform with a fantasy-based ideal to which they don't ever hold themselves.
Old 02-13-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
It's not that Trump didn't serve - it's that he denigrates those who did and claims to know more than they do while those who support him claim to be pro-military.
It's not that Trump had affairs - it's that those who continuously chastise liberal politicians for the same thing seem to claim Trump as their Christian saviour.
It's the blatant hypocrisy and duplicity of those who claim to hold these values that bothers the rest of us, while they attempt to regulate our behavior to conform with a fantasy-based ideal to which they don't ever hold themselves.
Exactly.
Old 02-13-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The hypocrisy can be boiled down to this....Trump supporters will happily say that he was not Impeached but then say that Clinton was Impeached in the same sentence.
Old 02-13-20, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's politics 101. The Feminists looked the other way when they supported Clinton in 1992 and 1996 (and even during the Lewinsky scandal) because he pushed their agenda on Abortion. It took them 20 years to come out against him simply because the Clinton's were no use to them after she lost in 2016 anymore. I'm not saying people aren't hypocrites, as both sides dig in and support 'their' candidate no matter what. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just keeping it real because that's the way politics is in this country when you have a 2 party system.
Old 02-13-20, 03:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's politics 101. The Feminists looked the other way when they supported Clinton in 1992 and 1996 (and even during the Lewinsky scandal) because he pushed their agenda on Abortion. It took them 20 years to come out against him simply because the Clinton's were no use to them after she lost in 2016 anymore. I'm not saying people aren't hypocrites, as both sides dig in and support 'their' candidate no matter what. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just keeping it real because that's the way politics is in this country when you have a 2 party system.
True. Maybe I'm biased (ok, definitely I'm biased ), but I think it's worse on the right than it is on the left. Conservatives thought that Clinton was unfit for office *because* of his affairs ("character matters"). Liberals think Trump is unfit, not because of his affairs, but because he violated the law to cover them up; not because he didn't serve in the military, but because he attacks his own military advisers when he has no fucking clue what he's doing.
Old 02-13-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The hypocrisy can be boiled down to this....Trump supporters will happily say that he was not Impeached but then say that Clinton was Impeached in the same sentence.
That would never happen...
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Oh he was because there was a vote on it in the Senate. See, that's key here. And I'm somewhat surprised Pelosi is taking this route. Maybe she feels her supporters are just legal morons and think Trump has been impeached, she gets her win, and she scrambles in the background for a few weeks to find another way around the Senate delivering their almost-certain acquittal...which will also mean Trump can say he was acquitted and the impeachment was invalidated. Trump would be the first President acquitted of being impeached as well. Being impeached is a systematic process, not a vote per se. While the House voted for impeachment, notice the wording...voted "for" or "to" impeachment, which means it's not valid until approved by the other side.

Our Constitutional Designers meant it that way.
Old 02-13-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True. Maybe I'm biased (ok, definitely I'm biased ), but I think it's worse on the right than it is on the left. Conservatives thought that Clinton was unfit for office *because* of his affairs ("character matters"). Liberals think Trump is unfit, not because of his affairs, but because he violated the law to cover them up; not because he didn't serve in the military, but because he attacks his own military advisers when he has no fucking clue what he's doing.
Both sides are drinking the kool-aid as both impeachments were wrong. I honestly wished the Framers made the House vote a 2/3 majority to impeach so it would have avoided this partisan impeachment of a President. I can honestly say that the Republicans will probably impeach the next Democrat President in the future to get revenge for the Trump impeachment, as this will go on and on. It's bullshit on both sides and it's everything wrong with our politics these days.

As for Clinton's impeachment, he did lie under oath and the argument was made, "If the President can lie on under oath, than ANYONE can lie under oath!" Again, I agree with that premise but I still never thought (even back in 1998) that Clinton should have been impeached for that, as the same goes for Trump. The beauty of this country is we have elections every 2 and 4 years, so nobody is a King. The Democrats have every ample opportunity to get rid of Trump in 9 months, and that is why I have a very high standard for Impeachment on any President, because I don't think it should be used as a partisan tool on either side.
Old 02-13-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Both sides are drinking the kool-aid as both impeachments were wrong. I honestly wished the Framers made the House vote a 2/3 majority to impeach so it would have avoided this partisan impeachment of a President. I can honestly say that the Republicans will probably impeach the next Democrat President in the future to get revenge for the Trump impeachment, as this will go on and on. It's bullshit on both sides and it's everything wrong with our politics these days.

As for Clinton's impeachment, he did lie under oath and the argument was made, "If the President can lie on under oath, than ANYONE can lie under oath!" Again, I agree with that premise but I still never thought (even back in 1998) that Clinton should have been impeached for that, as the same goes for Trump. The beauty of this country is we have elections every 2 and 4 years, so nobody is a King. The Democrats have every ample opportunity to get rid of Trump in 9 months, and that is why I have a very high standard for Impeachment on any President, because I don't think it should be used as a partisan tool on either side.
I think the idea that we have to wait up to 4 years to put a check on the President for doing something wrong is a ridiculous position to hold. And plays into this "overturning the election" nonsense the right is spewing. If the President did something wrong, it doesn't matter if it's the day after the election or the day before his next election. He should still be held accountable.
Old 02-13-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both sides are drinking the kool-aid as both impeachments were wrong.
At least you are half right here.

The impeachment clause was written for a case like this. Remember that the framers considered impeachment a remedy for an injust presidential pardon.

And also remember how ridiculous the "but we have elections" argument is. Or do you think the framers were idiots? They created the possibilty of impeachment within the system of elections.
Old 02-13-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Enlightened centrism at practice here. No, both sides aren't the same.
Old 02-13-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of this country is we have elections every 2 and 4 years, so nobody is a King. The Democrats have every ample opportunity to get rid of Trump in 9 months, and that is why I have a very high standard for Impeachment on any President, because I don't think it should be used as a partisan tool on either side.
This is what you are failing to understand. Trump used his presidential power to illegally try and fix the election in his favor, thus negating the argument that the election process could remove him. You can't use the election process to remove someone if the reason they should be removed is because they are illegally fixing it so they can't be removed.
Old 02-13-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Both sides are drinking the kool-aid as both impeachments were wrong.
How exactly was Trump's impeachment wrong?

The beauty of this country is we have elections every 2 and 4 years, so nobody is a King. The Democrats have every ample opportunity to get rid of Trump in 9 months, and that is why I have a very high standard for Impeachment on any President, because I don't think it should be used as a partisan tool on either side.
So what's the point of having the impeachment process and the possibility of removal from office?

And like rw2516 says, not only is he jeopardizing the security of our country and our allies by withholding military aid for personal reasons, those personal reasons are directly about cheating his way to a reelection victory.
Old 02-13-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Spoiler:
Firstly, somebody plagiarized my admittedly-not-very-inspired notion. Secondly, maybe the cancer spread through osmosis from his ideology to his lungs. Hatred and negativity are known to have adverse psychosomatic effects.
Old 02-14-20, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I listen to Limbaugh from time to time. His usual routine is to take what the Democrats have most recently said or done and mock it for three hours or so. Sometimes he'll take the latest outcry from "Woke" culture and amplify it and point out how silly it is. It honestly wouldn't hurt Democrats and "Wokies" to hear how ridiculous some of their positions sound to the rest of the country. I should add here that listening to Rush's callers enthuse over Trump in the run-up to the 2016 election first led me to think that Trump had a good chance of winning. Whether you like his positions or not, Rush is devoted to conservative principles and has based his show on defining and promoting those principles within the prism of our current political and cultural landscape. If there's another conservative talk show host who does it as well, I haven't heard him (or her). This interests me and compels me to listen.

What I don't hear from Rush are "lies and hate." Yes, he exaggerates and engages in hyperbole and makes suppositions and extrapolations that are quite a stretch. He makes sweeping generalizations. He sometimes gets his facts wrong and he tends to be a bad listener when it comes to callers (a problem he had before he went partially deaf and a problem most conservative talk show hosts have). He most annoys me, however, when he gets pious and puts on a humble act, like when he gets caller reaction to his series of history books for children or when a caller gives him credit for someone’s electoral victory. When he takes himself too seriously, he loses me. Even worse is when he starts shilling his own products, although he's never been as egregious about it as Alex Jones. And the whole “dittohead” and “mega ditto” thing has too much of a cult-like sound to it for my tastes.

Has Rush said things that, taken out of context, brand him a “___ist” (fill in the blank with your favorite bete noire) in the eyes of people who don't listen to him? Yes. And sometimes the context may be equally damning. He sometimes says things to deliberately provoke Democrats, feminists and the left. That's part of his schtick. And, much to his amusement, they always take his bait. For me, this doesn't take away from his unique perspective on current politics and presidential races. He has been, by and large, an excellent broadcaster and I find him, when he’s at his best, entertaining. When he’s not entertaining, I turn him off. Sean Hannity and Ben Shapiro, to name two, only wish they were as good as him.

I just don't understand how people who've never listened to Limbaugh’s show can hate him as much as most of the comments here would indicate.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-14-20 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Firstly, somebody plagiarized my admittedly-not-very-inspired notion. Secondly, maybe the cancer spread through osmosis from his ideology to his lungs. Hatred and negativity are known to have adverse psychosomatic effects.
A lot of people came to the same conclusion.

Old 02-14-20, 10:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Sometimes he'll take the latest outcry from "Woke" culture and amplify it and point out how silly it is. It honestly wouldn't hurt Democrats and "Wokies" to hear how ridiculous some of their positions sound to the rest of the country.
"Don't you see how ridiculous you all sound when a right-wing talk-radio propagandist turns your positions into strawmen arguments far removed from reality so he can mock them?"

What I don't hear from Rush are "lies and hate." Yes, he exaggerates and engages in hyperbole and makes suppositions and extrapolations that are quite a stretch. He makes sweeping generalizations. He sometimes gets his facts wrong and
You have got to be kidding with this nonsense, right? You're saying he doesn't LIE, he just exaggerates and uses hyperbole, and makes suppositions and sweeping generalizations and gets his facts wrong (this is intentional, by the way)... but those don't amount to lies to you?

Has Rush said things that, taken out of context, brand him a “___ist” (fill in the blank with your favorite bete noire) in the eyes of people who don't listen to him? Yes. And sometimes the context may be equally damning. He sometimes says things to deliberately provoke Democrats, feminists and the left. That's part of his schtick.
Oh look, you got me! I called him a propagandist. I guess that's just because he's a just provocateur, triggering all the libs, and not poisoning the minds of impressionable seniors.

But I love this line of reasoning that Rush defenders use. It amounts to:
"When he's right, he's right. But when he's wrong, he's just exaggerating to make a point. But when he's outright lying, he's just getting his facts wrong. But even with all of that said, he's still right because the rest of y'all sound ridiculous when he explains it. But when he's not right, he's just doing it to trigger 'the left'. "

In the words of Mickey Knox... that's poetry.
Old 02-14-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
"Don't you see how ridiculous you all sound when a right-wing talk-radio propagandist turns your positions into strawmen arguments far removed from reality so he can mock them?"

You have got to be kidding with this nonsense, right? You're saying he doesn't LIE, he just exaggerates and uses hyperbole, and makes suppositions and sweeping generalizations and gets his facts wrong (this is intentional, by the way)... but those don't amount to lies to you?

Oh look, you got me! I called him a propagandist. I guess that's just because he's a just provocateur, triggering all the libs, and not poisoning the minds of impressionable seniors.

But I love this line of reasoning that Rush defenders use. It amounts to:
"When he's right, he's right. But when he's wrong, he's just exaggerating to make a point. But when he's outright lying, he's just getting his facts wrong. But even with all of that said, he's still right because the rest of y'all sound ridiculous when he explains it. But when he's not right, he's just doing it to trigger 'the left'. "

In the words of Mickey Knox... that's poetry.
My head exploded at the defense of Rush. So close to getting it...
Old 02-14-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just don't understand how people who've never listened to Limbaugh’s show can hate him as much as most of the comments here would indicate.
Do I have to listen to a whole show before I understand that anyone who says this is a racist?
Recalling a stint as an “insult-radio” DJ in Pittsburgh, he admits feeling guilty about, for example, telling a black listener he could not understand to “take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

Old 02-14-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Whether you like his positions or not, Rush is devoted to conservative principles and has based his show on defining and promoting those principles within the prism of our current political and cultural landscape.
I never got that impression. He seems more like a cheerleader or propagandist for the Republican Party, but not necessarily conservatism.
Conservatism is about being respectful, in particular to women, right? But look at the crude and disgusting things he was saying about Sandra Fluke.

He supports and praises Trump who undermines our own military and intelligence agencies and our allies in favor of Putin and Russia. I thought conservatives were staunch opponents of an anti-NATO country like Russia who’s invading and annexing neighboring countries.

If there's another conservative talk show host who does it as well, I haven't heard him (or her). This interests me and compels me to listen.
I’ll say this, Rush sounds like he’s having a good time on the radio. Mark Levin is always yelling with his nasally voice, sounding very angry. It’s like nails on a chalk board. So I guess that’s Rush’s appeal, being the friendly Republican shock jock.

For me, this doesn't take away from his unique perspective on current politics and presidential races.
But he doesn’t have a unique perspective. He just says whatever to benefit the Republican Party and slander Democrats. Are his opinions any different from Hannity, Levin or Shapiro’s? Does he disagree with them on anything?

I think wishing him death and pain and suffering through cancer is a bit much but other than that specific thing, I completely agree with most of the comments and criticisms of him here. Giantrobo said he’s a nice guy in person, and he SOUNDS like a good natured guy by the tone and delivery of his voice. But that’s just it. Just because he has the voice and delivery of some jolly big guy, somehow his hateful rhetoric comes across as acceptable and even funny. Look at the wiki article for Rush-Sandra Fluke. His comments are pretty awful but it’s okay because he’s laughing while saying it? It’s okay to slander a woman speaking up about health insurance for women? As long as it’s for the GOP cause?

Last edited by brayzie; 02-14-20 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 11:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ excellent post.
Old 02-14-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ excellent post.
I don't know just sounds like a whole lot of "woke" bullshit to me. /s
Old 02-14-20, 12:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Watch out for the "wokies"
Old 02-14-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I never got that impression. He seems more like a cheerleader or propagandist for the Republican Party, but not necessarily conservatism.
Conservatism is about being respectful, in particular to women, right? But look at the crude and disgusting things he was saying about Sandra Fluke.

He supports and praises Trump who undermines our own military and intelligence agencies and our allies in favor of Putin and Russia. I thought conservatives were staunch opponents of an anti-NATO country like Russia who’s invading and annexing neighboring countries.

I’ll say this, Rush sounds like he’s having a good time on the radio. Mark Levin is always yelling with his nasally voice, sounding very angry. It’s like nails on a chalk board. So I guess that’s Rush’s appeal, being the friendly Republican shock jock.

But he doesn’t have a unique perspective. He just says whatever to benefit the Republican Party and slander Democrats. Are his opinions any different from Hannity, Levin or Shapiro’s? Does he disagree with them on anything?

I think wishing him death and pain and suffering through cancer is a bit much but other than that specific thing, I completely agree with most of the comments and criticisms of him here. Giantrobo said he’s a nice guy in person, and he SOUNDS like a good natured guy by the tone and delivery of his voice. But that’s just it. Just because he has the voice and delivery of some jolly big guy, somehow his hateful rhetoric comes across as acceptable and even funny. Look at the wiki article for Rush-Sandra Fluke. His comments are pretty awful but it’s okay because he’s laughing while saying it? It’s okay to slander a woman speaking up about health insurance for women? As long as it’s for the GOP cause?
I appreciate the thoughtful and patient response.
Old 02-14-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Do I have to listen to a whole show before I understand that anyone who says this is a racist?
The best quote you can find to show racism is something more than thirty years old, and includes a statement of regret by Rush? OTOH, Bo Snerdley, the producer, engineer, and guy who has been in the booth for decades is a Black man.

There are many things that Rush has been guilty of, but accusing him of racism is a weak argument.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.