Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Have you contacted your GOP senators (if applicable) and told them to vote to hear from witnesses?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Have you contacted your GOP senators (if applicable) and told them to vote to hear from witnesses?
Yes
28.57%
No
50.00%
Not applicable
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Have you contacted your GOP senators (if applicable) and told them to vote to hear from witnesses?

Old 01-25-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called and wrote last week. There is no excuse for failing to gather all of the relevant evidence. A vote against witnesses (and documents) is a vote for a coverup.
Old 01-25-20, 03:09 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Have you contacted your GOP senators (if applicable) and told them to vote to hear from witnesses?

I havenít yet and I should. Pat Toomey is the R senator from PA. I grew up in his hometown in RI, my mom taught some of his siblings in elementary school. My mom says his family were staunch Democrats.
Old 01-25-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Have you contacted your GOP senators (if applicable) and told them to vote to hear from witnesses?

*sigh... Mitch McConnell here. So no, not even bothering.
Old 01-25-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My senators are solid Democrats. Martin Heinrich is calling it a cover-up. Tom Udall is asking that if the President's case is as strong as his lawyers said it was today, why are they blocking witnesses?

During the impeachment hearings, there were a lot of pro-Trump television ads telling voters to put pressure on Xochitl Torres Small (D), the congresswoman who won an upset election in the conservative southern district. Someone was just pouring money into the ad campaign. Did anyone else see something like that in their state?
Old 01-25-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
*sigh... Mitch McConnell here. So no, not even bothering.
Do it anyway. If nothing else, it gives his opponent a talking point ("700,000 Kentuckians contacted Mitch McConnell to ask for witnesses and he ignored them all.")
Old 01-25-20, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do it anyway. If nothing else, it gives his opponent a talking point ("700,000 Kentuckians contacted Mitch McConnell to ask for witnesses and he ignored them all.")
Word.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Old 01-25-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. I don't have GOP Senators and haven't had one since Macaca. I live in liberal land and then the state went blue on top of it.

This forum has been mostly cleared out of Republicans and conservatives. Much like the Northern VA suburbs.
Old 01-26-20, 02:29 PM

Please call your Republican senators. It doesn't take much time, and it could make a difference.
Old 01-27-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Please call your Republican senators. It doesn't take much time, and it could make a difference.

We need more threads like this.
Old 01-27-20, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
During the impeachment hearings, there were a lot of pro-Trump television ads telling voters to put pressure on Xochitl Torres Small (D), the congresswoman who won an upset election in the conservative southern district. Someone was just pouring money into the ad campaign. Did anyone else see something like that in their state?
Not targeting a specific Democrat (not really applicable since Republicans win everything where I live ), but in Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn is running a lot of ads attacking the impeachment process and supporting Trump.
Old 01-27-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I contacted both of my state's Republican senators. I don't expect it to sway them but I demanded it all the same.
Old 01-27-20, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I contacted both of my state's Republican senators. I don't expect it to sway them but I demanded it all the same.
Thank you. Every little bit helps.
Old 01-28-20, 12:10 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Whatever the issue, call every day, once a day, and don't stop. If you are a constituent, you just do this. They had a piece of paper and they simply check off one side for calls in favor and one side for calls not in favor on any given issue. I'm dead serious. They use this so they can show, look, this is how many people in my constituency care about this. I have to listen to my people. They absolutely weigh calls. Emails and letters, yes, but calls 100% are the way to go.

Whatever your issue is, I guarantee you: the other side? They all call every. Single. Day. All of them.

Step up. Make the call. Every day.
Old 01-28-20, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did it. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-28-20, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ftrez View Post
I just did it. Thanks for the reminder.
You're welcome. And thank you.
Old 01-28-20, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is a terrific thought. Thank you.
Old 01-28-20, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by story View Post
They absolutely weigh calls. Emails and letters, yes, but calls 100% are the way to go.
Yes, I too have heard from former congressional aides that calling is most effective. Thank you.
Old 01-29-20, 12:10 AM

It's happening again. After the initial shock of the Bolton news, Republicans are rallying around Trump. They may actually try to get away with not calling Bolton and other relevant witnesses.

The vote on witnesses may happen on Friday. Now is the time to CALL YOUR SENATORS. Demand a REAL TRIAL. Tell them BOLTON MUST TESTIFY.

Senate Switchboard: 202-224-3121
Old 01-29-20, 04:11 PM

MAKE THE CALL. IT'S NOW OR NEVER.

202-224-3121