Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Washington State Representative accused of domestic terrorism (as in The Handmaid's Tale)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Washington State Representative accused of domestic terrorism (as in The Handmaid's Tale)

Old 12-21-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just another normal day in America. A Republican state representative has allegedly been planning armed rebellion, theocracy, and systematic murder. How many right-wing militias are there in the U.S.? Just wondering.

It doesn't look like Shea was inspired by Hulu's version of The Handmaid's Tale because his activities were happening before the TV series was released.

Washington Legislator Matt Shea Accused Of 'Domestic Terrorism,' Report Finds at NPR.org

Six-term Washington state Rep. Matt Shea is accused of participating "in an act of domestic terrorism against the United States," according to a report released Thursday.Independent investigators commissioned by the Washington State House of Representatives found that Shea, as a leader of the Patriot Movement, "planned, engaged in, and promoted a total of three armed conflicts of political violence against the United States government" between 2014 and 2016.

The report also concluded that Shea was involved in training young people to fight a "holy war." He created a pamphlet called Biblical Basis for War and advocated replacing the government with a theocracy and "the killing of all males who do not agree."

Chat messages showed Shea, a lawyer who was first elected in 2008, condoned intimidation of opponents, political activists, government officials and Muslims. He also offered to conduct background checks on political opponents.

Following the release of the report, Sheawas suspended from the House Republican Caucus — a serious form of discipline.

He was also stripped of his position as the ranking member of the House Environment and Energy Committee and will be removed from two committees.
Old 12-22-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Washington State Representative accused of domestic terrorism (as in The Handmaid's Tale)

Margaret Atwood based her novel The Handmaids Tale on loons like this one. So he wouldn't be imitating it as much as fulfilling its prophecy.

Doing a quick google, and it sounds like his first wife has a protective order against him, and his second wife is a Russian. Can't say either surprises me.

I swear, every time you turn one of these wingnuts over, you find a Russian...
Old 12-22-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Washington State Representative accused of domestic terrorism (as in The Handmaid's Tale)

Ah, I remember reading that book in high school, smugly thinking "Yeah right, something like this wouldn't happen in the US". These days I'd be surprised if something like that doesn't end up happening.

Old 12-22-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Ah, I remember reading that book in high school, smugly thinking "Yeah right, something like this wouldn't happen in the US". These days I'd be surprised if something like that doesn't end up happening.
Yes, same here!

Old 12-22-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I swear, every time you turn one of these wingnuts over, you find a Russian...
This guy, Richard Spencer, Paul Erickson...
Old 12-22-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course his defense is that this is a sham meant to take down this country.

I wonder where he got the idea?
Old 12-30-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good llisten about it if you have the chance: https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts...verum-bellator
Old 01-02-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Of course his defense is that this is a sham meant to take down this country.

I wonder where he got the idea?
Yes, opposing treason is the REAL problem in this country.