Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Dapper Nazi turns out to be a literal Nazi, surprising nobody (except maybe mainstream media)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dapper Nazi turns out to be a literal Nazi, surprising nobody (except maybe mainstream media)

Old 11-04-19, 11:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Worthy of its own thread, I think.

Leaked audio of Richard Spencer letting his true colors (or lack thereof...) show, as if anyone with half a brain did not expect this.

WHO KNEW, AMIRITE!??!
(I wonder how many folks, on this very forum even, defended him when he got punched a couple years back... hmmmmmmm...)

In case anyone needs a reminder...
Old 11-04-19, 11:50 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dapper Nazi turns out to be a literal Nazi, surprising nobody (except maybe mainstream media)

What a piece of shit.
Old 11-04-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dapper Nazi turns out to be a literal Nazi, surprising nobody (except maybe mainstream media)

That is the angriest snowflake I've ever heard.
Old 11-04-19, 12:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

The line that really got to me was "my fucking ancestors enslaved those fucking pieces of shit!" Holy shit. I'm all for free speech and I believe that the solution to bad speech is more speech - shout down bad ideas. But someone who espouses this type of hatred and violence doesn't deserve a platform.

Last edited by Bandoman; 11-04-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
The line that really got to me was "my fucking ancestors enslaved those fucking pieces of shit!" Holy shit. I all for free speech and I believe that the solution to bad speech is more speech - shout down bad ideas. But someone who espouses this type of hatred and violence doesn't deserve a platform.
Bet my mortgage that when it comes to reparations for slavery, he'd be the first to say "Why should *I* have to pay for what my ancestors did?"
Old 11-04-19, 12:14 PM
Enormous Genitals

Old 11-04-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that stood out to me too. I've never heard someone so excitedly connect with slavery.
Old 11-04-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to him getting knocked out again.
Old 11-04-19, 12:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
That is the angriest snowflake I've ever heard.
You might say you've never seen a snowflake melt down so quickly...
Old 11-04-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Come on people let's be civil, all he needs is a hug.
Old 11-04-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Come on people let's be civil, all he needs is a hug.
Well, that's not entirely inaccurate.

His warped worldview includes the belief that life is a zero sum game and if "others" are winning, he's losing.

I was briefly impressed that he knew a word with which I was unfamiliar (octoroon), but then I looked it up. Yikes.
Old 11-04-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Spencer deserves no respect, and in fact deserves what he gets as an extreme racist, but I still believe the best way to solidify racist and hateful views in those who have them is to treat them with hate and violence.

So if the desire is to preserve a place in society for racism, there’s that.

ETA to add, I know I’ll get shit for this
Old 11-04-19, 01:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
I was briefly impressed that he knew a word with which I was unfamiliar (octoroon), but then I looked it up. Yikes.
^ yeah. They have a word for everything and that one is so specific... crazy shit.
Old 11-04-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Worthy of its own thread, I think.

Leaked audio of Richard Spencer letting his true colors (or lack thereof...) show, as if anyone with half a brain did not expect this.
I’ll admit I didn’t think he’d go full on Red Skull and be like “I WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!”
But yeah, the chubby college guy before him was the same. Soft spoken talking ‘bout “We’re not racist, we’re just proud of our culture,” Then later he’s on video in front of his fellow racists yelling and angrily advocating violence and rising up against the government.”

WHO KNEW, AMIRITE!??!
(I wonder how many folks, on this very forum even, defended him when he got punched a couple years back... hmmmmmmm...)
You should use the search function to find out which members were doing this and post the results.

Old 11-04-19, 01:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Spencer deserves no respect, and in fact deserves what he gets as an extreme racist, but I still believe the best way to solidify racist and hateful views in those who have them is to treat them with hate and violence.

So if the desire is to preserve a place in society for racism, there’s that.

ETA to add, I know I’ll get shit for this
You won't get shit from me. I don't think I'd go up to someone spouting Nazi bullshit in public and punch him, but I'd sure as hell yell at him and then walk away, encouraging others to walk away. But if someone else punched him, I don't think I'd remember enough detail to identify the puncher to the police (everything being so chaotic and all).
Old 11-04-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You won't get shit from me. I don't think I'd go up to someone spouting Nazi bullshit in public and punch him, but I'd sure as hell yell at him and then walk away, encouraging others to walk away. But if someone else punched him, I don't think I'd remember enough detail to identify the puncher to the police (everything being so chaotic and all).
Frankly, if I encountered Spencer on such a tirade, I don’t know what I’d do. I’d be enraged, but I’d be under no illusions that punching him would make him or his followers suddenly think “gee, I guess I am wrong!” rather than “f those libtards and their black and jewish friends, I gotta get back to recruiting!”
Old 11-04-19, 02:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I’ll admit I didn’t think he’d go full on Red Skull and be like “I WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!”
But yeah, the chubby college guy before him was the same. Soft spoken talking ‘bout “We’re not racist, we’re just proud of our culture,” Then later he’s on video in front of his fellow racists yelling and angrily advocating violence and rising up against the government.”

Yeah, they're all very much the same this way.

You should use the search function to find out which members were doing this and post the results.
I'd really rather not. Anyone who defended him knew what they were defending (under the guise of being in the name of "free speech"). No need to name names, IMO.
Old 11-04-19, 02:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

I guess this is the right thread for this - some Nazi named Richard Holtzer arrested for plot to blow up a synagogue in Colorado.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/...ogue-colorado/

Holzer stated he had a cook put arsenic in the water pipes of the synagogue. The alleged plot continued to the point of pipe bombs and dynamite.
This is why I'm not entirely convinced that speech alone can counter this.
Old 11-04-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess this is the right thread for this - some Nazi named Richard Holtzer arrested for plot to blow up a synagogue in Colorado.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/...ogue-colorado/

This is why I'm not entirely convinced that speech alone can counter this.
Of course not, certainly in this case. Dude needs to be locked up, where (like rain on your wedding day) he’ll find plenty of support.

I don’t have any ideas for a better answer. But, I mean, we beat the Nazis with the strongest violence we could muster in the ‘40s, so doesn’t it stand to reason they shouldn’t exist anymore?
Old 11-04-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think any discussion of whether speech can counteract the virulent racism of Spencer and his ilk has to account for the kid glove treatment white supremacists get from the media. Sure, if they’re dressing in sheets and spitting on minorities, they get condemned. But when Spencer put on a suit and spoke in sober tones about his love for his heritage, the Very Serious People at the New York Times rewarded him with a puff piece profile, and the Very Serious People at CNN rewarded him with air time to express his views.

This rant is disgusting, but anyone who is surprised by it is a fool. That these are Spencer’s views should be surprising to nobody. But they come after years of polite society agreeing to pretend that Spencer was something other than what we all knew he was.
Old 11-04-19, 03:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Old 11-04-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also in the chaos it would be possible to accidentally kick him in the head like 5 times.
Old 11-04-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think any discussion of whether speech can counteract the virulent racism of Spencer and his ilk has to account for the kid glove treatment white supremacists get from the media. Sure, if they’re dressing in sheets and spitting on minorities, they get condemned. But when Spencer put on a suit and spoke in sober tones about his love for his heritage, the Very Serious People at the New York Times rewarded him with a puff piece profile, and the Very Serious People at CNN rewarded him with air time to express his views.

Great point. It helps legitimize them and imply they have something to say worth hearing.

I heard about him before CNN but can’t remember from where. Did he first catch people’s attention because of his Trump speech, doing the “Heil Trump” and Nazi salutes?
Old 11-04-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

When faced with a people who have a sense of superiority and believe that some humans are sub-human, there is no amount of talking and convincing that will change their minds.

Slavery, segregation, civil rights movement, etc. were not talk-fests. Action was taken to address those wrongs and sadly blood was shed.

There was no reasoning with Nazi Germany. Action had to be taken.

The dilemma is that depending upon what action is taken, it can further harden the hearts of those people and stir them to even more action. Since their minds cannot be changed, any action that is taken needs to simply contain and restrict their behavior.

When Trump is gone, these people will remain. They have always been with us and will continue to be until the end of time.
Old 11-04-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I'd really rather not. Anyone who defended him knew what they were defending (under the guise of being in the name of "free speech"). No need to name names, IMO.
Might as well, since you’re casting aspersions to their character. Kurt D for example wasn’t advocating for violence as a response to racist/white supremacist rhetoric back then. Hmmmm...makes you think, right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.