Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Does Trump deserve to be impeached?
Yes
92.71%
No
7.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Does Trump deserve to be impeached?

Old 09-22-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does Trump deserve to be impeached?

Note: Whether Trump deserves to be impeached is a different question than whether Congress should impeach him.

I say Trump absolutely deserves to be impeached for the following:
  1. Subversion of democracy: Trump repeatedly invited foreign interference in U.S. elections in hopes of gaining an advantage.
  2. Felony violations of campaign finance law: Trump paid off mistresses to prevent them from speaking out before the 2016 election and failed to declare the campaign contributions.
  3. Obstruction of justice: Trump fired the first head investigator looking into the Russian attack on the 2016 election and then attempted to fire the second one. He attempted to limit the scope of the Russia investigation to future elections. He intimidated and influenced witnesses. He refused to answer questions about his obstruction. He demanded that the attorney general ďunrecuseĒ and fired him for refusing to do so. He hand-picked a new attorney general who had explicitly stated that obstruction should not have been investigated.
  4. Crimes against humanity: Trump intentionally separated children from their parents in an attempt to deter other migrants and asylum seekers from coming to the U.S. in the future.
  5. Usurpation of congressional power and misappropriation of funds: Trump declared a national emergency in order to fund a wall that Congress had just declined to fund.
I could keep going, but those are my top five impeachable offenses.
Old 09-22-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Does Trump deserve to be impeached?

Yes. But itís impossible right now. Letís crush him (and his supporters) by voting next November. Trump brought reality TV culture to government and politics. Itís time to hit the reset button and get back to normal.
Old 09-22-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seriously? You have to ask this question?
Old 09-22-19, 05:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I voted yes, and that's a change for me. I used to think that a prosecutor would not bring a case unless they have a good chance of conviction by a jury, and the reason is that a jury vote is a measure of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

In the case of impeachment, the Senate is the jury but with Trump, their vote is a pure and simple reflection of partisanship, and loyalty and fear, and has nothing to do with reasonable doubt. We are long past that point, and if the Senate won't convict, it's not for absence of guilt and we must do the right thing.

My only hesitation is that I don't want Trump to win re-election, and if the process of impeachment helps him win, then I would not want it. But I think that is unknowable until the election, and I'll risk it because the reason for is overwhelming.
Old 09-22-19, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Seriously? You have to ask this question?
Hereís the point I want to make: If Trump deserves to be impeached, it follows that he should be impeached, unless there is a highly compelling reason not to.

If people think Trump deserves to be impeached but should not be impeached, the burden is on them to demonstrate why the constitutionally defined tool should not be utilized. The burden is not on the rest of us.
Old 09-22-19, 05:33 PM

My other point: CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES IN CONGRESS AND TELL THEM TO IMPEACH.
Old 09-22-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He deserves to be bound, flogged, tarred, feathered, castrated, and have a red hot poker shoved up his ass. And THEN impeached.
Old 09-22-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does he deserve impeachment? Without a single doubt. Will it happen? No, the US government is too broken and dysfunctional at this point.
Old 09-22-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do humans need oxygen?

He deserves to be impeached and he deserves to be behind bars.
Old 09-22-19, 07:29 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
He deserves to be bound, flogged, tarred, feathered, castrated, and have a red hot poker shoved up his ass. And THEN impeached.
Some people think that women can't be tough judges. They obviously have not met you
Old 09-22-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Other than Fox News, who would vote no?

Old 09-22-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I can take a couple of guesses...
Old 09-22-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes! Yes!! A thousand times Yess!!!!

Last edited by Kurt D; 09-22-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Every Republican Senator?
Old 09-22-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Some people think that women can't be tough judges. They obviously have not met you
*curtsy*
Old 09-22-19, 08:46 PM

Of course he does. He's flaunted every law restricting the actions of a chief executive. He's essentially a mobster using his office to line his pockets.
Old 09-22-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hesitate calling Donald a mobster.

Don't want to give him a swelled head ...
Old 09-22-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As an independent, I absolutely think Trump deserves to be impeached. He obstructed justice, broke campaign finance laws, has abused the power of the executive office, and has repeatedly acted in a way that reflects extremely poorly on the office of the president and the United States as a country.

It's worth noting that two of the articles of impeachment against Andrew Johnson were:
  1. Making three speeches with intent to "attempt to bring into disgrace, ridicule, hatred, contempt and reproach, the Congress of the United States".
  2. Bringing disgrace and ridicule to the presidency by his aforementioned words and actions.
By that standard, Trump deserves to be impeached many times over just for his tweets.
Old 09-22-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Here’s the point I want to make: If Trump deserves to be impeached, it follows that he should be impeached, unless there is a highly compelling reason not to.

If people think Trump deserves to be impeached but should not be impeached, the burden is on them to demonstrate why the constitutionally defined tool should not be utilized. The burden is not on the rest of us.
I blame my thoughts on this to my chaotic good nature. I'm not sure I really care about the law; I care about doing what's right, first. The law is only important in the name of doing the right thing.

The risks of impeaching Trump at this point outweigh the possible gains. Without any Republicans willing to get on-board, it's pointless, because it won't work.

Without the votes, it won't do anything but rile up Trump's cult, might endanger lives more than Trump himself already has, and could either help OR hinder the efforts to vote him out in 2020.

If there was enough Democrats to do this and replace him with the competent asshole Pence, but it would hurt them politically next election cycle, I'd say yes, go ahead and do it. For the greater good. That's a different story.

Here there's risk and quite possibly no reward. And keep in mind, even if they bumped him out, you know Pence would likely just pardon him. Precedent for it was set with Nixon and it would endear him to the Republican base. Do you really want him pardoned before he faces any repercussions?
Old 09-22-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I blame my thoughts on this to my chaotic good nature. I'm not sure I really care about the law; I care about doing what's right, first. The law is only important in the name of doing the right thing.

(I agree with pretty much everything else you said, though).
Old 09-23-19, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no doubt that Trump should be impeached. It doesn't require an special counsel investigation. All of the evidence required to impeach him (and make a strong case for conviction) is already publicly available and part of the public record.

As for what would happen in the Senate if Trump is impeached, it is important to remember that when the House started the impeachment process for Nixon, there was less than 20% public support for it. By the time that Nixon resigned, public support was over 50%.

I believe that Pelosi and company are hiding behind the current level of public support (as reason to NOT aggressively pursue impeachment) because she wants the Democratic presidential candidate to run against him instead of Pence (if Trump were to be convicted or resign)
Old 09-23-19, 07:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

That's a stupid reason, IMO. I don't think Pence will get n early the fanatical devotion Trump does, and Pence certainly doesn't have the ability to deflect criticism the same way Trump does.
Old 09-23-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone pointing to Nixon needs to remember what the Republican Party's key takeaway from Watergate was: "We need our own captive media." Well, they have it now. The reason the Nixon impeachment hearings shifted public opinion is that they brought Nixon's crimes to light. Trump commits his crimes in the wide open and 40% of the country just doesn't care because their media tells them it's no big deal.
Old 09-23-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
That's a stupid reason, IMO. I don't think Pence will get n early the fanatical devotion Trump does, and Pence certainly doesn't have the ability to deflect criticism the same way Trump does.
Pence doesn't need fanatical devotion. The main criticism of non-Trump-supporting Republicans is not the ends he's working towards, it is the WAY he does things. If Pence were to run in 2020, "Never Trumpers" and independents who are open to voting for a Republican would vote Republican.

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Everyone pointing to Nixon needs to remember what the Republican Party's key takeaway from Watergate was: "We need our own captive media." Well, they have it now. The reason the Nixon impeachment hearings shifted public opinion is that they brought Nixon's crimes to light. Trump commits his crimes in the wide open and 40% of the country just doesn't care because their media tells them it's no big deal.
It doesn't matter what the Republican Party's key takeaway was (if that was indeed it). And I would argue that the non-Fox News media loves Trump and wants to see him re-elected.

The point is that it requires WORK to prove the case. Leaders need to lead. Democratic leadership doesn't want lead when they point to public opinion... they want to follow the winds.
Old 09-23-19, 08:24 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Pence doesn't need fanatical devotion. The main criticism of non-Trump-supporting Republicans is not the ends he's working towards, it is the WAY he does things. If Pence were to run in 2020, "Never Trumpers" and independents who are open to voting for a Republican would vote Republican.
But he would lose his rabid base of "let's fuck some shit up" voters.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.