Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Has Trump done ANY good?

Old 09-02-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Has Trump done ANY good?

Let’s give him credit for something he wasn’t even aware of.

Old 09-02-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Let’s give him credit for something he wasn’t even aware of.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriff...0%2Fframe.html
Yes, I know...that’s why I qualified it carefully
Old 09-02-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Since the election I became informed in politics and follow the news daily.
This is the only thing that came to mind for me.

Of course once he's gone it would be nice to go back to real hobbies again instead of reading the news before work, at lunch, after work and after the kids are in bed. It's too much.
Old 09-02-19, 10:38 PM
Banned

So much corruption has been and continues to be exposed now that Trump has taken office - and he has slowly but determinedly replaced those illegally-behaving individuals with far more principled and trustworthy successors.
Old 09-02-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Name one.
Old 09-02-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
So much corruption has been and continues to be exposed now that Trump has taken office - and he has slowly but determinedly replaced those illegally-behaving individuals with far more principled and trustworthy successors.
You mean, all the people around him who have been arrested and indicted? Those are the principled and trustworthy successors.

You asked in the other thread what “trolling” meant. What you just posted is trolling.

You post things that have no basis in fact like they are facts. If you continually posted that Trump had never been divorced, that would be trolling. We all know he has been. Similarly, when you say Trump is replacing illegally behaving people with trustworthy people, BACK THAT UP WITH FACTS. Many of his appointments are “acting” because the people who actually got confirmed abandoned his ship. You might as well be stating that Trump has never been divorced too, it has the same basis in reality.
Old 09-02-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-03-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not once, not a single time has he worn a Tan Suit.

Also he has kept Hillary Clinton's name in the public eye....
Old 09-03-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's increased awareness worldwide of the inherent dangers of Tanning booths

Old 09-03-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most of the "compliments" in this thread are backhanded (I.E., "shown us that racism is alive and well in 2019 America"), and I'll state up front that this is no different.

He's exposed the evangelical movement as 100% hypocritical. Granted, most of us already knew that, but they were good at hiding behind the Bible. ("No, no, I don't hate gays. It's just that THE BIBLE says it's wrong, and I'm a Christian, I HAVE to go with what the Bible says and you can't deny me that. First Amendment and all"). Here we have a man who is everything the Bible says is wrong, and you have evangelicals telling us "God sent us Donald Trump".

And the good news is that this is gonna bite them in the ass. Trump won't be president forever, we'll eventually get a progressive person back in the White House. And when progressive policies are enacted and evangelicals whine, we're gonna be able to shine them off without impunity due to the support they've given to the most un-Christian man to ever hold the office.
Old 09-03-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And when progressive policies are enacted and evangelicals whine, we're gonna be able to shine them off without impunity due to the support they've given to the most un-Christian man to ever hold the office.
But that wouldn't be nice. We should be nice to people who support racists, pedophiles, misogynists and homophobes.
Old 09-03-19, 11:28 AM

I didn't bother to hear any news about him when last time he said: "I am the chosen one".
Old 09-03-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully, his presidency has spurred decent people to take more interest in selecting their leaders and reduced the number of those who think if they have to choose between mediocre and terrible, they might as well not participate. We’ll see how the turnout goes next year.
Old 09-03-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the "compliments" in this thread are backhanded (I.E., "shown us that racism is alive and well in 2019 America"), and I'll state up front that this is no different.

He's exposed the evangelical movement as 100% hypocritical. Granted, most of us already knew that, but they were good at hiding behind the Bible. ("No, no, I don't hate gays. It's just that THE BIBLE says it's wrong, and I'm a Christian, I HAVE to go with what the Bible says and you can't deny me that. First Amendment and all"). Here we have a man who is everything the Bible says is wrong, and you have evangelicals telling us "God sent us Donald Trump".

And the good news is that this is gonna bite them in the ass. Trump won't be president forever, we'll eventually get a progressive person back in the White House. And when progressive policies are enacted and evangelicals whine, we're gonna be able to shine them off without impunity due to the support they've given to the most un-Christian man to ever hold the office.
That still stings me. For thirty years, I've accepted that they earnestly wanted to enact a moral code. That they chose their leaders based on how well those figures followed the code. That although I disagreed strongly with their positions, those positions were based on honest beliefs. To see them supporting a philandering criminal makes me think that the morals that evangelicals were advocating these last thirty years were really no more than a club used to beat up members of the other political party. I've been played.
Old 09-03-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But that wouldn't be nice. We should be nice to people who support racists, pedophiles, misogynists and homophobes.
Yes, because people who protest fascists are just as bad.
Old 09-03-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks all for this discussion as it has enlightened me on some matters I wasn't aware of.

Thus far, from this thread, I am seeing the major good done by Trump/this administration:

Signed a EO to ban bump stocks.
Signed the Criminal Justice Reform bill.
Administration launched an effort to decriminalize homosexuality around the world.
Took action against China.
Old 09-03-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly, I don’t see this biting them in the ass. They’ve been exposed as hypocrites but anyone who ever calls them out on it are anti-religion, trying to take God out of this Country, persecuting their beliefs, etc. Their exposed hypocrisy will be just as hypocritical in the future when politicians bend over backwards to make them happy. Hell, evangelical politicians will still be alive and well sticking a wrench in every policy like it is now and like it was in the past.
Old 09-03-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's proven that the Electoral College is full of shit. The electors are bought and paid for by their respective political parties.
No elector in their right fucking mind would have cast their vote for an incompetent lunatic.
I don't understand this one. The electors aren't forced to vote the way the voters want them to but I don't remember that ever being done before in significant numbers, and if it was, people would be understandably upset.
Old 09-05-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked it up on the internet.

Trump got us out of a very bad treaty with Iran.
Trump pulled out of the Paris Accords.
Trump reduced tensions with North Korea.
Trump renegotiated NAFTA.
Trump made it clear that European freeloaders will have to pay their fair share of NATO.
Trump is standing up to China.
Trump is taking firm action against illegal immigration.
Neil Gorsuch!
Your 401k!

I think that most of that list is not good things, or not real accomplishments, or Trump taking credit for someone else's work.
Old 09-05-19, 12:31 PM

How about this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2209579001/

("Trump administration dedicating nearly $2 billion in grants to fight opioid epidemic")
Old 09-05-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

("Trump administration dedicating nearly $2 billion in grants to fight opioid epidemic")
The question is: what programs are losing the $2 billion that's going toward fighting opioid addiction?

If I had to guess, I bet it has to do with aiding the poor or immigrants.
Old 09-05-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

A. Where is the money coming from?

B. Throwing money to "fight the epidemic" but not going after the drug companies is a waste of time.
Old 09-05-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeez, everyone is so cynical! (Admittedly, I checked the article to make sure the $2 billion wasn't going to be put toward stopping opioid imports at the southern border via wall construction.)
Old 09-05-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I looked it up on the internet.

Trump got us out of a very bad treaty with Iran.
Trump pulled out of the Paris Accords.
Trump reduced tensions with North Korea.
Trump renegotiated NAFTA.
Trump made it clear that European freeloaders will have to pay their fair share of NATO.
Trump is standing up to China.
Trump is taking firm action against illegal immigration.
Neil Gorsuch!
Your 401k!

I think that most of that list is not good things, or not real accomplishments, or Trump taking credit for someone else's work.
Did you find that on Trump2020 dot com?
Old 09-05-19, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Did you find that on Trump2020 dot com?
Sure seems that way, but doesn't that highlight the subjectivity of these accomplishments?

One very good thing he has done, even if inadvertent, was to hammer the Fed over interest rates. Cant say it had an effect, but he was right. Just too bad they waited so long to act.

If it's any consolation though, everyone's 401k will likely boom the next 18 months or so.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.