Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only 2020 Downballot Races Thread

Old 07-08-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The One and Only 2020 Downballot Races Thread

Because it's not just about the 93 thousand Democrats and Trump! Let's kick things off with Chris Kobach. Or is it Kris?

Kris Kobach, who claimed misspelled names indicated voter fraud, misspells own name in Senate race registration

"Chris" Kobach has registered to run for one of Kansas' seats in the U.S. Senate.

One might expect the more well-known Kris Kobach, who failed in his Republican bid for Kansas governor last year, to hop in the race to replace retiring Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) And sure enough, an hour after registration for "Chris" popped up on the Federal Election Commissions' website, the campaign amended its candidate's name to Kris Kobach, The Daily Beast reports.

The mixup was especially ironic for Kobach, who once headed President Trump's so-called voter fraud commission and dedicated his political career to demanding stricter identification for voters. As part of that fight, Kobach has tried to purgevoter rolls of names that don't match registrants' state IDs, which would've included names that were misspelled during registration.

If Kobach's misspelled candidacy wasn't a bad enough omen for his 2020 run, his fellow Republicans have surely sealed the deal. "Just last year Kris Kobach ran and lost to a Democrat," National Republican Senate Committee spokesperson Joanna Rodriguez pointed out to the Kansas City Star, and said that Kobach now wants to "simultaneously put President Trump's presidency and Senate majority at risk." Even Jared Suhn, a GOP strategist who oversaw the launch of Kobach's gubernatorial run, told the Star that Kobach "hasn't earned a third shot." Read more criticisms of Kobach, including from his former supporters, at the Kansas City Star.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/85150...e-registration
Old 07-09-19, 12:02 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The One and Only 2020 Downballot Races Thread

^ How could he have misspelled "Asshole" into "Chris"?
Old 07-09-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks very much for this. There are thousands of seat on the line in 2020 from the senate to gubernatorial to state legislatures.
Old 07-09-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amy McGrath is running to unseat Mitch McConnell in Kentucky. McGrath ran for the House in 2018, narrowly losing. She’s a former Marine fighter pilot who is kicking her campaign off with a story about wanting to become a military pilot, writing to Mitch McConnell about it, and never hearing back. And her opening pitch to the voters is pro-Trump, anti-McConnell — basically saying “you voted for Trump because you wanted change, but McConnell is standing in the way of change.” It’s an interesting bet on the idea that Trump’s support isn’t ideological and isn’t even pro-Trump, per se, but anti-Washington.
Old 07-09-19, 01:43 PM

The Cook PVI for Kentucky is R+15, so good luck to her, she'll need it.
Old 07-09-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She should really go pro Kentucky Care which is popular in the state even though it is the dirty Obama Care.

Just use the Republican strat, offer the world to the voters and say that Mitch is the reason why things don't get done.
Old 07-09-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
The Cook PVI for Kentucky is R+15, so good luck to her, she'll need it.
I agree she’ll need it, which is why I find the strategy of trying to align herself with Trump and against McConnell is so interesting. That could set up some weird dynamics, particularly since most Democrats are counting on anti-Trump votes while she’s trying to set herself up to do the opposite.

And I know it’s not apples to apples, but Manchin just won a R+19 state by 3 points, so it’s not impossible.
Old 07-09-19, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And I know it’s not apples to apples, but Manchin just won a R+19 state by 3 points, so it’s not impossible.
This reminds me, when I was walking around at lunch I was thinking I need to look up Doug Jones' voting record since he's been Alabama senator. There's a non-trivial chance that his opponent next November will once again be "America's Favorite Pederast" Roy Moore*, in which case Jones has a decent shot at re-election, assuming his voting record hasn't been too liberal.

* Aside from The Jesus, of course.

Old 07-09-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He’s got a new movie coming out next year — The Jesus, I mean. Roy Moore’s new movie doesn’t come out until they unseal the Jeffrey Epstein evidence.
Old 07-20-19, 07:12 PM

I'm devastated.

Old 07-22-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IDK, but this ad seems extremely well done to me. It's hard to survive ridicule and this works good for setting the stage for the challanger.
Old 07-25-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, this is hilarious. There was a Trump supporting, QAnon believing nutcase who was gunning for Omar's seat in the house in Minnesota. I think we can safely say that they will need to find another nutter to run for the republican seat.
Pro-Trump Republican aiming to unseat Ilhan Omar charged with felony theft

Stella is accused of stealing 279 items valued at $2,327.97 from a Target store in Edina, to the south-west of Minneapolis, on 8 January this year. She was arrested for the alleged theft after security staff called the police.A criminal complaint filed to Hennepin county district court alleged Stella was seen leaving the store without paying for most of her haul, after “scanning only a few other items” that were valued at about $50.

The complaint said Stella told police in a statement she “remembers arriving at Target to purchase items but nothing else” due to post-traumatic stress disorder, and that she “normally she goes to Target with someone because of anxiety around people”.Stella has said publicly that she was the victim of a severe violent assault in 2008. She is charged with the thefts under her former surname, which the Guardian agreed not to report because she said it could endanger her safety.
Old 07-26-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Ok, this is hilarious. There was a Trump supporting, QAnon believing nutcase who was gunning for Omar's seat in the house in Minnesota. I think we can safely say that they will need to find another nutter to run for the republican seat.
Pro-Trump Republican aiming to unseat Ilhan Omar charged with felony theft
Only the best people
Old 07-26-19, 08:17 AM

Whoa, that's my Target. Now it's getting personal.
Old 07-26-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
Whoa, that's my Target. Now it's getting personal.
Hey, that is awesome.
Old 07-26-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have yet to meet any (super vocal) trump supporters who aren't at least a little bit nutso.
Old 07-26-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, though... is "not guilty due to PTSD" a valid defense? I guess it's a "temporary insanity" type of plea?
Old 07-28-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the fuck she has PTSD for? A voice recorder told her to press #2 for Spanish?
Old 07-29-19, 12:40 AM

I guess I'll post the "oddterms" here. There are elections all over the country on November 5th, 2019. Make sure you're registered to vote, or get others registered: iwillvote.com.

Old 08-01-19, 09:21 PM

The sixth House Republican to retire in 2 weeks:

Hurd won his midterm seat half a point.

Last edited by EinCB; 08-02-19 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hurd was one of the four Republicans (five if you count Amash) to vote in favor of condemning Trump's racist remarks, and is (I think) the only Republican from a border district. I disagree with him on a lot of policy issues, but he seems like someone who was trying to do the right thing. I hope his future endeavors allow him to continue to better the country.
Old 08-02-19, 01:10 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is the only Black Republican in the House (out of 197 Republican members). Now zero left, but who cares?
Old 08-02-19, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
He is the only Black Republican in the House (out of 197 Republican members). Now zero left, but who cares?
It would be terrible to describe the contemporary Republican Party as a political party that panders to identity politics and only represents a very specific set of special interests, so I won't do that.
Old 08-02-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
It would be terrible to describe the contemporary Republican Party as a political party that panders to identity politics and only represents a very specific set of special interests, so I won't do that.
What do you mean!?! There are plenty of African Americans at the highest level of the party, like Senator Tim Scott from South Carolina, Secretary of HUD Ben Carson, and here is where I'd insert the name of a third African American Republican with a legislative or cabinet-level position if there were one.
Old 08-04-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Kenny Marchant (TX-24) will announce tomorrow that he will not seek reelection, making him the fourth TX Republican member of the House to do so this year. His district had been reliably red in the past, but he only won by 3 points in last year's midterms.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.