Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only 2020 Downballot Races Thread

Old 08-05-19, 07:10 PM

Re: The One and Only 2020 Downballot Races Thread

Putting this here because it seems the most appropriate. As has been mentioned, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is likely facing a credible challenger next November. Anyway, here's some of his biggest fans exhibiting the sort of rape culture advocacy and toxic masculinity that America should be proud of.

Old 08-05-19, 09:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ more from team Mitch.

Old 08-05-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At the Fancy Farm event Mitch was greeted with a loud "Moscow Mitch" chants from the audience.

I think the Moscow Mitch moniker might actually have some legs.
Old 08-07-19, 08:57 AM

Unsure where this belongs exactly, but the hashtag #impeachjoaquincastro is trending on Twitter. Joaquin is Julian Castro's twin brother and a congressman from San Antonio. Anyway, he looked up and then published the names and addresses of Trump donors in San Antonio. Then the Russian bot army decided to start a campaign to get him impeached. (Please note - there is no mechanism to impeach members of Congress...) So now the hashtag has now been hijacked by people explaining:

1. You can't impeach members of Congress, and
2. The information Castro published is publicly available to anyone with an internet connection.
Old 08-07-19, 09:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

There is a fuzzy line between what you could consider "doxxing" and what you could consider "just compiling public information" but, I think this falls pretty squarely on the latter side... aren't ALL political donations considered obtainable public information? Even further, isn't it necessary for it to be public info, to ensure (or at least fight against) the wrong people (non-citizens) donating to political causes?
Old 08-07-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Unsure where this belongs exactly, but the hashtag #impeachjoaquincastro is trending on Twitter. Joaquin is Julian Castro's twin brother and a congressman from San Antonio. Anyway, he looked up and then published the names and addresses of Trump donors in San Antonio. Then the Russian bot army decided to start a campaign to get him impeached. (Please note - there is no mechanism to impeach members of Congress...) So now the hashtag has now been hijacked by people explaining:

2. The information Castro published is publicly available to anyone with an internet connection.
I was only aware that he tweeted the names of donors... not their addresses.
Old 08-07-19, 09:18 AM

Yeah it's pretty easy to go to https://www.fec.gov/data/receipts/in...-contributions and find anything you want.
Old 08-07-19, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I was only aware that he tweeted the names of donors... not their addresses.
I doubt he included more than their zip codes.
Old 08-07-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was names and where they work, which again is public record when you donate.

Old 08-07-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt he included more than their zip codes.
Ok. He didn't even do that. Just tweeted their names and the companies they own/work for.

Just to be clear, he didn't post any elements of their addresses... other than to say they're from El Paso. Where are you reading that he posted names and addresses?
Old 08-07-19, 09:57 AM

Ok. He didn't even do that. Just tweeted their names and the companies they own/work for.

Just to be clear, he didn't post any elements of their addresses... other than to say they're from El Paso. Where are you reading that he posted names and addresses?
From something someone I follow tweeted. This person is generally a very reliable source so I didn't look into it further.
Old 08-07-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...zOIo/giphy.gif

So I guess if a Republican congressman posted the # of a private citizen who donated to Democrat's if their # was in a phone book it would totally not be harassment and or doxxing.

Seriously this is a trash hill people supporting castro really should not want to stand on and is a bullying tactic Trump would resort to. He is a sitting congress member and anything he tweets out has the possibility to be seen by millions,it's not the same as SEC Filing's which a miniscule people will ever look it.
Old 08-07-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Seriously this is a trash hill people supporting castro really should not want to stand on and is a bullying tactic Trump would resort to. He is a sitting congress member and anything he tweets out has the possibility to be seen by millions,it's not the same as SEC Filing's which a miniscule people will ever look it.
yeah, but dems are tired of taking the high road while republicans take the low. It just doesn't work, unfortunately.

Old 08-07-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...zOIo/giphy.gif

So I guess if a Republican congressman posted the # of a private citizen who donated to Democrat's if their # was in a phone book it would totally not be harassment and or doxxing.

Did he post their phone numbers? More importantly, can anyone actually find a phone book?

There was an issue here in town where the owner of several buildings w/ businesses inside them donated to David Duke. Employees walked out, businesses are moving and it turned into a big deal. All because of his public donation to a racist. Don't people in that town also have a right to know who's donating to a racist?
Old 08-07-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Round 2. Lost by 3% in 2018 midterms.

Old 08-07-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I heard Joaquin Castro gave out Lindsey Graham's cell phone number and encouraged people to call it!
Old 08-08-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Did he post their phone numbers? More importantly, can anyone actually find a phone book?

There was an issue here in town where the owner of several buildings w/ businesses inside them donated to David Duke. Employees walked out, businesses are moving and it turned into a big deal. All because of his public donation to a racist. Don't people in that town also have a right to know who's donating to a racist?
Business owners and public figure donations are one thing where it seems reasonable to have their donations be outed, Castro though literally posted a list of private citizens.
Old 08-08-19, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I heard Joaquin Castro gave out Lindsey Graham's cell phone number and encouraged people to call it!
Lindsey Graham is a sittining Us Senator,by all means him and Castro should sling whatever mud at each other they want. Castro targeted civilians residents of his district not exactly an apples to apples scenario
Old 08-08-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Business owners and public figure donations are one thing where it seems reasonable to have their donations be outed, Castro though literally posted a list of private citizens.
Are they "private citizens"? These are local business people. There is so much misinformation being spread about what Castro actually did... from people who generally are reasonable people.

Castro's tweet is there for all to see and yet there are claims that he doxxed people, posted their phone numbers, social security numbers, addresses, and other personal information.

Welcome to post-truth America.
Old 08-08-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
To be fair, that info is available on most men's bathroom walls
Old 08-08-19, 09:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Are they "private citizens"? These are local business people. There is so much misinformation being spread about what Castro actually did... from people who generally are reasonable people.

Castro's tweet is there for all to see and yet there are claims that he doxxed people, posted their phone numbers, social security numbers, addresses, and other personal information.

Welcome to post-truth America.
Yeah, and just to be clear, what he posted was:

- first and last name of people who donated the maximum amount allowable (44 people to be specific) (edit: I'm not sure what the "Maximum" is here because it seems like they donated different amounts) (edit2: ok, I get it now. They all seem to have donated the max of $2800 twice, so $5600, specifically to "DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC.")
- the name of their business (or retired)
- that they're all from San Antonio

That's it. All of that is available at the FEC site wendersfan linked earlier.

I've seen all sorts of "doxxing" over the last 5 or so years, as that's when it really started to pick up steam as a thing people do, and it gets fuzzy in terms of considering how far is too far, but this? This ain't it. These are arguably pillars of the San Antonio community making maximum public donations. Anyone in the community can easily find this info (unlike other types of doxxing where more dot-connecting has to take place, even if most of the details are "public" so to speak.) and the point Castro was making - right or wrong - is that the community deserves to know who T's top donors are in the city.

If folks are mad about it; fine. Let them be. But I personally don't think it crosses the line.

Last edited by Dan; 08-08-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, and just to be clear, what he posted was:

- first and last name of people who donated the maximum amount allowable (44 people to be specific) (edit: I'm not sure what the "Maximum" is here because it seems like they donated different amounts) (edit2: ok, I get it now. They all seem to have donated the max of $2800 twice, so $5600, specifically to "DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC.")
- the name of their business (or retired)
- that they're all from San Antonio

That's it. All of that is available at the FEC site wendersfan linked earlier.

I've seen all sorts of "doxxing" over the last 5 or so years, as that's when it really started to pick up steam as a thing people do, and it gets fuzzy in terms of considering how far is too far, but this? This ain't it. These are arguably pillars of the San Antonio community making maximum public donations. Anyone in the community can easily find this info (unlike other types of doxxing where more dot-connecting has to take place, even if most of the details are "public" so to speak.) and the point Castro was making - right or wrong - is that the community deserves to know who T's top donors are in the city.

If folks are mad about it; fine. Let them be. But I personally don't think it crosses the line.
Agreed. Doxxing is posting people's private personal information. Home address, kids' school, personal phone number, work phone number (not public), place of work (not public), etc.
Old 08-27-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same garbage happened to Beto O'Rourke in the midterms.

Old 08-28-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but there have been several cases of janky shit like that going on with electronic voting machines, and some of them have been proven to be easily hackable.
Old 09-11-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Valerie Plame--yes, that Valerie Plame--is running as a Democrat for a US House seat in New Mexico.

Her first campaign ad is pretty good:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.