Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Top US States losing and gaining population

Old 05-29-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Top US States losing and gaining population

Taken from The Chive so not exactly the census department but interesting reading. I've been complaining of NY's propensity to drive out people and business for years.

The Chive

Losing population
Kansas down 13,159 - red state
Connecticut down 13,166 blue state
Maryland down 16,148 blue
Hawaii down 20,129 blue state
Massachusetts down 21,133 blue state
Louisiana down 28,921 red state
New Jersey down 69,278 blue state
California down 137,598 blue state
Illinois down 142,685 blue state
New York down 164,681 blue state

Gaining population

Colorado up 33,465 blue state
Nevada up 35, 232 blue state
Tennessee up 37,233 red state
South Carolina up 39,073 red state
Oregon up 40,459 blue state
Texas up 61,043 red state
Washington up 62,062 blue state
North Carolina up 73,545 red state
Arizona up 98,843 purple
Florida up 145,094 red state

We often see on the board that people don't mind paying higher taxes if they feel they are getting something for their money. At least with the states losing population it looks as if many of the blue have exceeded that limit with 8 of the top 10 being blue states. The top four being known for the high cost of living, high taxes, hostile business environment. According to Governor Cuomo, people are not leaving NY because of taxes, they are leaving because of the weather. When you are number one on the list it's not because of the sunshine. There are blue states with lower taxes gaining population and Washington state is not exactly the sunbelt. In spite of the great weather California and Hawaii are both down assumedly because of the high cost of living.

The states gaining population are even between the blue and red but tend to be easier on the pocketbook. I have a nephew that lives in Oregon, the cost of living is high but the wages are very good and taxes are reasonable being 14th out of 51 (w/dc) Nevada is still showing a gain which surprises me. I thought after their building boom faded they started to level off or lose. Tennessee and Colorado are gaining due to very low taxes both being in the top 10.
Old 05-29-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Top US States losing and gaining population

Lost or gained residents over what period? Is it 2016 to 2017? I'm not sure.

Those numbers don't take into account the beginning population of the various states. The loss of 137,598 people from California is 0.3% of the population. The loss of 20,129 people in Hawaii is 1.4% of the population. Proportionately, that's nearly five times as much.

According to Wikipedia, California is up 6.2% from 2010 to 2018. A recent drop of 0.3% doesn't seem as significant compared to that.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 05-29-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Yeah, California’s population is definitely rising. What’s made the news lately is that the rate of that increase has declined. But it’s still increasing. If Oregon’s Population is increasing it’s because of baby boomers retiring there. There’s no jobs in Oregon.
Old 05-29-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the basis for the Red state/Blue state? Is that just based on how they've voted so far? I'm just north of Austin and my area has been called out several times by different news sites as one of the major areas seeing expansion. And based on my neighborhood and how it's blown up, I highly doubt they're going to vote red.
Old 05-29-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Remember correlation does not = causation.

As an example, the US as a whole is at it lowest population growth in decades.

Might that be a a more useful comparison? An individual state compared to the US as a whole?

Old 05-29-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on the neighbors who I've talked to....it does in this case.
Old 05-29-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
What's the basis for the Red state/Blue state? Is that just based on how they've voted so far? I'm just north of Austin and my area has been called out several times by different news sites as one of the major areas seeing expansion. And based on my neighborhood and how it's blown up, I highly doubt they're going to vote red.
Its also a great point. I live in Dallas. Texas is red. Austin is most definitely blue. Austin is seeing growth along with other major cites in Texas.
Old 05-29-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope it'll be enough to start turning the tide and we can get the idiot governor and his henchmen out. How does Houston vote usually? I know Dallas has historically been blue, but I've never paid attention to Houston.
Old 05-29-19, 09:45 PM
Admin-Thanos

I left NY 16 years ago because of the weather. It had nothing to do with taxes, although NY taxes suck balls. Looking at it today, I think the cost of living has more to do with people fleeing than taxes. It costs $700,000 for a starter home in NY. That's insane. The higher salaries are not at the same percentage as the higher cost of housing.
Old 05-29-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope it'll be enough to start turning the tide and we can get the idiot governor and his henchmen out. How does Houston vote usually? I know Dallas has historically been blue, but I've never paid attention to Houston.
Not the end all be all, but Beto won every major city. But Cruz won cause the state is so damn big and he got “all” the rural vote.
Old 05-29-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alabama soon to be added to the "losing" list with a mass exodus of women and young people leaving?

One could only hope.
Old 05-29-19, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Austin metro is changing rapidly. I've lived her all my life, and even places like Liberty Hill, which used to be as fucking country as you can imagine, are growing so much, so fast that they're starting to become indistinguishable from Austin proper. Hell, MJ Hegar won WilCo in the midterms, which would have been unthinkable just a couple years ago. The rural parts of the state will always be red of course, but the used to own the burbs too, but those days look like they're in the past.
Old 05-30-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris say he was moving to Oregon last night.
Old 05-30-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After looking again it appears those are the net numbers of people leaving versus moving in, not a total change in population. So the state may have gained numbers through births but the outflow is greater than the inflow.

I just googled one of the red state blue state maps.

Here in upstate NY our housing prices are very reasonable. My house is 2000 sq. ft. colonial on a 1/4 acre lot assessed at $190,000. You can still go further out in the surrounding counties and buy for $100,000 - $150,000 easy. The problem here is our taxes. We pay more than $6000 per year on that assessment. That's $32/$1000. usually among the highest in the country. Downstate fuhgetaboutit. My house would easily sell for 4- 5 hundred K.
Old 05-30-19, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris say he was moving to Oregon last night.
He's a righteous dude.
Old 05-30-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live in NJ and the taxes are a HUGE reason people move (especially when their kids graduate or they retire). Property Taxes are so outrageous here compared to our neighboring PA and DE. Now when you have kids in school, some are willing to pay for more upscale areas (better schools) so that is a different story. But if you have no kids, they have moved out/go to college or you are retiring, living in a high tax state of NJ is a waste of money.
Old 05-30-19, 09:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Not the end all be all, but Beto won every major city. But Cruz won cause the state is so damn big and he got “all” the rural vote.
Been awhile since I looked at the results, but yeah, that's what I remember as well. Hell, O'Rourke lost by about 215,000. A big number, sure, but way closer than most expected I think. With the amount of people moving into Texas (I can only speak for the Houston area, as that's where I am, it's insane how things have changed just in the last three years, let alone the last five or ten. I'm West of 99, and the expansion has been like nothing I've ever seen, even when my home town was booming.

Of course none of this is a direct indicator of how people will vote, but as you noted... the major cities are mostly blue (looking up the big counties from 2018: Harris county was 58% blue, Travis was 74% blue, Bexar was 59% blue, Tarrant was 49.9% blue, Dallas was 66% blue, El Paso was 74% blue). More so, there are about 15 counties in Texas that border with Mexico, and all but 3 of them voted blue too. With the influx of people coming to Texas, mostly to the counties with big cities, it's damn near possible that Texas could end up a battleground state maybe not this election, but 2024... maybe (in my wholly uninformed opinion, of course). Many moving to TX can't/won't/don't vote (for various reasons), but I think we'll see the state balance out. Time will tell, as they say... but I'd bet on it if I were a betting man.