Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?
This weekend or work week
21.43%
Whenever I get around to it
0%
Never because [EXCUSE]
78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Old 02-17-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trump's declaration of a national emergency is his most dangerous move yet. After being denied the requested amount of funds for a wall, he is trying to go around Congress. That's not how the system works. If he didn't agree with the border-security bill, he shouldn't have signed it. This declaration is an unconstitutional power grab.

My challenge to you is to do more than complain on the Internet. Call your congressional representatives. Pick up the phone and start dialing! Or at the very least, write an email.

There will also be protests on Monday. Find a protest near you.

Old 02-17-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

https://voicebig.com

This might be helpful to some...
Old 02-17-19, 03:55 PM

Re: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
https://voicebig.com

This might be helpful to some...
Cool tool. Writing is OK, but some activists who have worked as congressional aides say that calling is more effective.

I usually write out a script, call first, and write second. I called and wrote to both of my senators, and I wrote my House representative because his mailbox was full.
Old 02-18-19, 08:08 AM

Reminder: Today there are protests against the fake national emergency. Find a protest near you.
Old 02-18-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Representatives in my state include Charles Grassley, Joni Ernst and Steve King. I might as well ask them to vote to say Barack Obama was born in the United States.
Old 02-18-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Representatives in my state include Charles Grassley, Joni Ernst and Steve King. I might as well ask them to vote to say Barack Obama was born in the United States.

This is the problem. I think there are around 10 states where Senators are split parties and Doug Jones will be short on life. My guess is that 80% at least of the people are represented by one party between their 3 reps.

My 1 Rep/2 Sens are D, and that will be the case for the foreseeable future, so no need to contact them....well, unless there's more blackface.
Old 02-18-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Tell me about it. I live in rural Georgia ... if I called to complain I’d probably get stricken from the voting record for my troubles For local elections Republicans run unopposed. For state-wide elections ... well, you know how that goes.

Last edited by brainee; 02-18-19 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Tell me about it. I live in rural Georgia ... if I called to complain I’d probsbly get stricken from the voting record for my troubles For local elections Republicans run unopposed. For state-wide elections ... well, you know how that goes.
Please tell me: on a scale from 1 to 10, how likely is your vote to be suppressed?

Old 02-18-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m wondering how to stay my email,

Dear Lyin Ted;
Old 02-18-19, 11:44 AM

A number of Republicans have spoken out against this declaration of a national emergency, and many more are privately against it. Don't assume what someone thinks. And don't assume that it's not worth calling. Pressure from constituents can make a difference.

Two of my three representatives are Republicans. I call them just as often as the Democrat. In fact, there have been a few occasions where I only called the Republicans.
Old 02-18-19, 05:22 PM

Old 02-18-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone offer perspective on national emergencies? Looking at the list on Wikipedia, it appears they are normally used in foreign relations. Is this new precedent (at least in modern times) to be utilizing this for a domestic issue?
Old 02-18-19, 05:28 PM

Old 02-18-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My congressman is on it

Old 02-18-19, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Can someone offer perspective on national emergencies? Looking at the list on Wikipedia, it appears they are normally used in foreign relations. Is this new precedent (at least in modern times) to be utilizing this for a domestic issue?
They can be used for anything. Obama used one in 2009 for domestic reasons.

If voters wanted Trump to not to do it, they should have told their Democrat leaders to accept the $5.7B wall agreement several months ago. Now, Trump just gets about 5x as much money as he asked for. Brilliant deal-making on the part of Democrats. This is what you get when you don't want to come together to make mutual policies. You end up with nothing and your opponent ends up with a lot more than what they would have got if a compromise was made. That's what deal-making is all about: mutual throttling.

Now we got some guy watching golf court visits? Wow. And here I thought politicians did nothing for humanity.
Old 02-18-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

If voters wanted Trump to not to do it, they should have told their Democrat leaders to accept the $5.7B wall agreement several months ago. Now, Trump just gets about 5x as much money as he asked for. Brilliant deal-making on the part of Democrats. This is what you get when you don't want to come together to make mutual policies. You end up with nothing and your opponent ends up with a lot more than what they would have got if a compromise was made. That's what deal-making is all about: mutual throttling.

Now we got some guy watching golf court visits? Wow. And here I thought politicians did nothing for humanity.
Really? So guy yells and screams and gives off threats and your answer is “just give him what he wants”.

Rember the deal that both the Dems and Repub’s agreed to? That’s what he is doing an end around on.

I hope u have saved that to remind urself of that position when a Democrat does it on healthcare the climate, or gun control.

Your not even trying any more are you?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-18-19 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As for the intellectually dishonest answer of “a POTUS can call a NE for any reason”...we will see

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/18/pol...ncy/index.html

http://Check out this article from USA TODAY: First lawsuits filed against President Donald Trump's national emergency order https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/15/donald-trump-national-emergency-border-wall-lawsuits/2882729002/

Based on the number of lawsuits that will be filed and the time it will take to address them,, Trump has set in motion that his “wall” will never be built. Yea, he is a brilliant negotiator. Playing 4D chess and all.

im still convenienced he doesn’t give a rats ass about building the wall. He was set to move on till he realized it made him look bad to his base. He so got caught with his pants down (only figuratively this time).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-18-19 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"For domestic reasons." What a pathetic attempt to buttress the current administration's actions.

Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic (Proclamation 8443) – empowered the secretary of Health and Human Services to issue waivers allowing overcrowded hospitals to move swine flu patients to satellite facilities or other hospitals.
Old 02-18-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
"For domestic reasons." What a pathetic attempt to buttress the current administration's actions.

Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic (Proclamation 8443) – empowered the secretary of Health and Human Services to issue waivers allowing overcrowded hospitals to move swine flu patients to satellite facilities or other hospitals.
You’re forgetting that Obama did that because Congress wouldn’t give him the money he wanted for his pet project (that he promised Mexico would pay for on multiple occasions).

Oh wait, that’s not what happened? Then yeah DVDP’s comparison is full of shit

Trump is throwing a tantrum. If he gets his way, I hope the next Dem President uses this same technique to fix our healthcare system. At least that would actually do some good. Because fuck Congress and the power of the purse, right?
Old 02-19-19, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

You’re forgetting that Obama did that because Congress wouldn’t give him the money he wanted for his pet project (that he promised Mexico would pay for on multiple occasions).

Oh wait, that’s not what happened? Then yeah DVDP’s comparison is full of shit

Trump is throwing a tantrum. If he gets his way, I hope the next Dem President uses this same technique to fix our healthcare system. At least that would actually do some good. Because fuck Congress and the power of the purse, right?
That's a bit premature. We'll need to see if his declaration "sticks". If it does, then yes, it seems like it'll be thunderdome. If not, it'll show that there are enforceable limits to what can be declared a National Emergency.
Old 02-19-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
That's a bit premature. We'll need to see if his declaration "sticks". If it does, then yes, it seems like it'll be thunderdome. If not, it'll show that there are enforceable limits to what can be declared a National Emergency.
That’s why I said “if he gets his way”. There are already Republicans saying that it doesn’t set a bad precedent and not to worry about the Dems doing the same thing. If Trump’s wall goes through as a NE, I’d want to see them proved wrong. The only upside is Dems using the same trick to actually do some good.

The problem is of course that Mitch blocked Garland and then had the audacity of accusing Dems of obstructing Trump’s nominees so they obviously have no problem being hypocrites.
Old 02-19-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s why I said “if he gets his way”. There are already Republicans saying that it doesn’t set a bad precedent and not to worry about the Dems doing the same thing. If Trump’s wall goes through as a NE, I’d want to see them proved wrong. The only upside is Dems using the same trick to actually do some good.
Oops, sorry. You DID say that.

The problem is of course that Mitch blocked Garland and then had the audacity of accusing Dems of obstructing Trump’s nominees so they obviously have no problem being hypocrites.
Boom. In the age of tribalism, facts don't matter... just what one's team stands for.
Old 02-21-19, 08:23 AM

Interesting to note that these GOP senators are somewhat sensitive to political considerations when taking these stances.

Old 02-24-19, 07:43 PM

Fortunately, some former public servants are more pro-active than most people on this forum.

Former senior national security officials to issue declaration on national emergency at WashingtonPost.com

A bipartisan group of 58 former senior national security officials will issue a statement Monday saying that “there is no factual basis” for President Trump’s proclamation of a national emergency to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

The joint statement, whose signatories include former secretary of state Madeleine Albright and former defense secretary Chuck Hagel, will come a day before the House is expected to vote on a resolution to block Trump’s Feb. 15 declaration.

The former officials’ statement, which will be entered into the Congressional Record, is intended to support lawsuits and other actions challenging the national emergency proclamation and to force the administration to set forth the legal and factual basis for it.

“Under no plausible assessment of the evidence is there a national emergency today that entitles the president to tap into funds appropriated for other purposes to build a wall at the southern border,” the group said.
Old 02-24-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If voters wanted Trump to not to do it, they should have told their Democrat leaders to accept the $5.7B wall agreement several months ago. Now, Trump just gets about 5x as much money as he asked for. Brilliant deal-making on the part of Democrats.
Your complete inability to make any sense at all continues to astound me. But I apologize for wasting my time and yours in responding.

Trump asked for 5.7b (after he asked for 25b). His NE if successful will give him access to 8b. 5.7 times 5 does not equal 8, if anyone cares.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.