Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?
This weekend or work week
21.43%
Whenever I get around to it
0%
Never because [EXCUSE]
78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Old 03-15-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Bravo
Sure that’s great, but Trump will veto and that’s that, right? There aren’t enough votes to overturn it.
Old 03-15-19, 08:54 AM

Re: When are you contacting your members of Congress about Trump's unconstitutional national emergency?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Sure that’s great, but Trump will veto and that’s that, right? There aren’t enough votes to overturn it.
Sorry, but that's not that. There are still any number of legal challenges/lawsuits either filed or coming up.
Old 03-15-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Senate Rejects Trump’s Border Emergency Declaration, Setting Up First Veto

WASHINGTON — The Senate on Thursday easily voted to overturn President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency at the southwestern border, delivering a bipartisan rebuke to what lawmakers in both parties deemed executive overreach by a president determined to build his border wall over Congress’s objections.
So a few Republicans are smart enough to realize the danger this kind of "emergency" is to their power and fear Democrats doing it for Climate Change or the like.

Old 03-16-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
So a few Republicans are smart enough to realize the danger this kind of "emergency" is to their power and fear Democrats doing it for Climate Change or the like.
Let's take a moment to note the perfidy of North Carolina Senator Thom Tillis

In a Feb. 25 Washington Post op-ed, Tillis boldly announced that he would vote against President Trump’s effort to circumvent Congress by declaring a national emergency at the southern border. Congress had denied the president’s request for border wall money, so Trump has declared a national emergency that gives him power to get the wall money anyway.

Tillis had criticized President Obama for using executive orders to get around Congress. He also objected to the emergency declaration as a violation the Constitution’s separation of powers, which under Article 1 gives the power of the purse to Congress alone. In his op-ed, Tillis supported the president’s plan for a wall, but intellectual honesty required that he couldn’t go along with the way Trump is trying to fund it. He wrote:

“It is my responsibility to be a steward of the Article I branch, to preserve the separation of powers and to curb the kind of executive overreach that Congress has allowed to fester for the better part of the past century. I stood by that principle during the Obama administration, and I stand by it now.”

Apparently, the only word of that he really meant was “now.” Because in the Senate on March 14, the formerly standing senator was fully prostrate before the altar of Trump.

“I come to the floor to say I do not intend to vote for the resolution of disapproval. And here’s why. A lot has changed over the last three weeks,” Tillis said.

The why, according to North Carolina’s junior senator, was that he’s heard “serious discussion” about changing the National Emergency Act so no “future left-wing president” can do what he was voting to allow the current right-wing president to do. The prospect of a change in the law was the fig leaf with which Tillis tried to cover his capitulation.
https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion...227826714.html

If we take Tillis at face value, it's not the erosion of the Constitution he dislikes -- merely the prospect of such erosion benefiting a Democrat someday. Of course, what's more likely is the coward realized that standing up for principles doesn't play nearly as well with Republican voters as does kowtowing to Donald Trump.
Old 03-16-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, Tillis is a coward. He looks worse now than if he had just stayed silent all along.

He acted the same way with regard to protecting Mueller. He co-sponsored a bill but then backed away later -- after we learned that Trump had tried to fire Mueller!

Tillis talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
Old 03-16-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have voted never because I want republicans to go through this same thing when a democrat once again becomes president. Their inevitable hypocrisy will just be magnificent