Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Obsession Thread

Old 02-16-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The One and Only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Obsession Thread

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
So it is a simple matter of determining whether this is something other members of Congress do as well.
It is. It was in the Fox story I posted above.

Now that the matter has gone public, AOC will quickly be informed if it is okay or not.
Do you think she set it up herself? She’s already been told it’s okay just because the email account exists.

At my job, if I want IT to give me something, I ask and if they approve, I get it. And I wouldn’t get in trouble for asking IT to install a certain piece of software or whatever because they would be the ones doing it.

Last edited by Draven; 02-16-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From the Onion

Old 02-16-19, 07:46 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
She's one of 435 representatives in the House, and she is just in her first term, but every time she takes a dump it is a FOX News Alert. You may have heard the expression: Actions speak louder than words. The official propaganda arm of the Republican party wants to be certain that all its old, white, stupid viewers are terrified of how this young, Latina woman is going to single-handedly tear down democracy.

Her libertarian and conservative critics - including myself - find humor in her ignorance. We're not afraid of her. And we don't care about her age, gender, race, or ethnicity.
Old 02-16-19, 07:49 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Might want to do a little reading about Subhas Chandra Bose.

He wouldn't be classified as either a "friend" or a "supporter" of Hitler, as he met Hitler only once and cared about nothing but Indian independence from British rule. Debatable decisions were made on his part in order to achieve that goal, that can't be disputed, but I'm sure Saikat Chakrabarti would love to talk out the finer points.

OK. Thanks for making that post.
Old 02-16-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Her libertarian and conservative critics - including myself - find humor in her ignorance. We're not afraid of her. And we don't care about her age, gender, race, or ethnicity.

Old 02-16-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Speak for yourself.
Old 02-16-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Replying to Draven post 201

So you are saying it is a complete non-story that no one should give a shit about.
Spoiler:
I agree

But right-wing fools will jump on any perceived infraction on her part, put up a banner headline on FOX News, and call for an investigation, because she terrifies them and they hate women and Hispanic people.
Old 02-16-19, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Now AOC is in trouble gain...is giving out gov email addresses. Her boyfried. She says it's just for calendar purposes but her staff can't send info to her bf or just text him? This is odd. Hillary-ish, even. I know a few who have this privilege and they do not give gov emails to their relatives or spouses. They send the info in other ways. Why did AOC do this and is she that daft and obtuse to information sharing.

Never stop being you.
Old 02-17-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-17-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck you Bezos

Ocasio-Cortez: We Don't Have to Settle for Amazon’s ‘Scraps’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ocasio...amazons-scraps
Old 02-17-19, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Are you saying that AOC is at the same level of Trump when it comes to caring what someone says or does? Do you not know the difference between the President and a single member of the House?

Oh shit...maybe you don’t!
Oh of course not. She'd better. At least that's what everyone is inferring...right? She's more important. If not, why is the Left paying her so much attention? Who cares what the Right is doing.

But I'm also saying (again) why so much focus on Trump's social media commentary when you and others said his commentary was insignificant and irrelevant for the last two years.

You remind me of a friend's mother. She'd yell about how she didn't like to read certain books...but after going to her home, they were strewn all over her house. And wouldn't you know...the woman was complaining. She probably owned more books of the author she hated than actual fans themselves.

tl;dr you're the reason why Trump is in office.
Old 02-17-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I wonder if she likes dijon mustard on her burger, now that would be a story.
Next she'll be having BBQs and inviting rappers to her office, as well.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-17-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 03:40 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Fuck you Bezos

Ocasio-Cortez: We Don't Have to Settle for Amazon’s ‘Scraps’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ocasio...amazons-scraps

The article quotes AOC as saying:

We need to create dignified jobs in New York City

Three months earlier, CNBC reported:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/amaz...nashville.html

Amazon will pay HQ2 employees an average of $150,000

I'm not really sure how that constitutes the jobs not being "dignified."

I wonder how much a job would have to pay for AOC to consider it to be "dignified."

inri222

What is your specific criticism of Bezos in this situation?

I myself am opposed to any government giving special tax breaks to anyone. I believe that the law should apply equally to everyone. I also understand the concerns about gentrification. But I don't see how Bezos is a bad guy in all of this, Please explain why you said what you said about him in your post that I just quoted.
Old 02-17-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Average salary is just a numbers game.
Amazon Is Defined by Billions and Millions; Median Salary Is $28,446
Jeff Bezos is uber-rich and Prime has more than 100 million members, but the company’s backbone is decidedly low-tech.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...lary-is-28-446
Old 02-17-19, 04:43 PM

But I'm also saying (again) why so much focus on Trump's social media commentary
It's the primary way the leader of this nation communicates. Did you forget that his press secretary said his tweets are Official Presidential Statements? Did you forget that he's such a fucking coward he almost never has press conferences or gives interviews?

when you and others said his commentary was insignificant and irrelevant for the last two years.
No one has said that. YOU. ARE. LYING.
Old 02-17-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh of course not. She'd better. At least that's what everyone is inferring...right? She's more important. If not, why is the Left paying her so much attention? Who cares what the Right is doing.
She regularly tops multiple articles on Fox News. You’re confusing “the left” with “the right” as far as obsession with her.

But I'm also saying (again) why so much focus on Trump's social media commentary when you and others said his commentary was insignificant and irrelevant for the last two years.
I’ve literally never said that. So you’re lying. And Trump’s tweets aren’t “social media commentary” - they are official Presidential proclamations. Policy has been dictated with it - people have been hired and fired with it. It’s not my fault your guy treats it that way but he does.

You remind me of a friend's mother. She'd yell about how she didn't like to read certain books...but after going to her home, they were strewn all over her house. And wouldn't you know...the woman was complaining. She probably owned more books of the author she hated than actual fans themselves.
You went to your friend’s mom’s house recently? How did you vote for Trump when you’re apparently still in elementary school?

No you are. Because you voted for him. That’s how he won - people like you voted for him. Stop blaming others for your shitty choice.
Old 02-18-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mean to dogpile, but there's a reason people have reacted to this. Your last few posts in this thread are some of the most intellectually dishonest things I've ever read here.

You're the only one who's said that Trump's commentary is irrelevant. You've tried to dismiss the President's ranting as no more important than that of an "obnoxious tweeter". Now you're trying to pretend as though the right's obsession with a new House member is the same as the left's obsession with statements from the President.

I hope that nothing anyone here has written upsets you so much that you're forced to vote for an unqualified moron again.
Old 02-18-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you guys even bother continuing to respond to him, it's a total waste of time and energy. He either answers with utter nonsense, or scampers away when someone asks him an honest question. Waste. of. time.
Old 02-18-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Why do you guys even bother continuing to respond to him, it's a total waste of time and energy. He either answers with utter nonsense, or scampers away when someone asks him an honest question. Waste. of. time.
One of them admitted that they do so because they are bored.
Old 02-18-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right-wing online magazine The Federalist thinks AOC was right about the Amazon deal.

AOC Is Right: Amazon’s Jobs Aren’t Worth $3 Billion In Corporate Welfare

Deals like the one struck between Amazon and New York showcase a national policy disease that rides the paychecks of individuals and small businesses across the country.
Click on the article title to read the whole piece.

But while conservatives delighted in the aftermath of Amazon’s exit as an opportunity to proclaim Ocasio-Cortez’s economic ignorance, Ocasio-Cortez is more correct about the Amazon deal than she is wrong, and far closer to the path of good tax policy than are many conservatives.
. . .In other words, many of these projects are getting tax incentives not because the project wouldn’t happen without them, but because business interests have become accustomed to receiving them and know how to work the system to get them. The result? As local tax incentives proliferate, fewer and fewer taxpayers become responsible for greater and greater portions of local government funding.This failure of stewardship from governments across the country costs state and local taxpayers billions of dollars annually. That affects not only government services, including roads and education, but also a government’s ability to reduce taxes for everyone, if it so desired.
. . . More to the point, conservatives would do themselves a favor by recognizing clearly, and repeating loudly, that tax incentives don’t indicate healthy “tax competition,” and that deals like the one struck between Amazon and New York are instead a showcase of a national policy disease that rides the paychecks of individuals and small businesses across the country, to dole out money to the enterprises of the well-connected.
Also, saw on a CNBC panel that was ripping AOC that while it is completely incorrect that NYC and NY state have "saved" $3 billion dollars that can be used for other things, $500 million dollars were a payout of tax dollars to Amazon, so that half billion dollars can be redirected to other uses.

And this isn't the thread for this subject, but didn't it bother anybody else that at the same time all these future state and local tax breaks for Amazon were in the headlines that it also came out that Amazon paid no federal corporate income tax last year and won't again this year?
Old 02-18-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, I don’t think the issue is if she was wholly, partially correct. Or if she is wholly or partially wrong. To me the point is having the discussion.

I think it it would be intellectually dishonest to suggest this was a black and white issue either way. It is complicated and is worth an in depth discussions.

One of the interesting things, so far anyway to me, is that Amazon did not announce a replacement. Maybe they will. Or maybe they will wait for all the negative press to die down.
Old 02-18-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
One of the interesting things, so far anyway to me, is that Amazon did not announce a replacement. Maybe they will. Or maybe they will wait for all the negative press to die down.
Part of their problem now is perception. I'm sure most people before were thrilled about the idea of having an Amazon HQ local, without thinking about the negative effect on their economy. Now that all this talk has become headlines, more citizens will challenge their representation against handing Amazon giant subsidies which means cities won't be writing blank checks like they were before.
Old 02-18-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Part of their problem now is perception. I'm sure most people before were thrilled about the idea of having an Amazon HQ local, without thinking about the negative effect on their economy. Now that all this talk has become headlines, more citizens will challenge their representation against handing Amazon giant subsidies which means cities won't be writing blank checks like they were before.
And that’s the point. “We” had gotten to the point of cities and states “writing blank checks” and writing multiple blank checks to get these companies to come to them. Does anyone on either side of the isle think these blank checks in all cases are a good idea?

i personally don’t see Amazon as the bad guys in this. They were doing what many large companies have done. And no one batted an eye. They were the ones caught up in something that should have been addressed in the past.

And I think in some cases these tax credits or whatever are appropriate. But in other cases they are not.
Old 02-18-19, 03:32 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

And that’s the point. “We” had gotten to the point of cities and states “writing blank checks” and writing multiple blank checks to get these companies to come to them. Does anyone on either side of the isle think these blank checks in all cases are a good idea?

i personally don’t see Amazon as the bad guys in this. They were doing what many large companies have done. And no one batted an eye. They were the ones caught up in something that should have been addressed in the past.

And I think in some cases these tax credits or whatever are appropriate. But in other cases they are not.
I sure look at Amazon as the bad guy. Not the only bad guy, of course, but a bad guy nonetheless.
Old 02-18-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

I sure look at Amazon as the bad guy. Not the only bad guy, of course, but a bad guy nonetheless.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.