Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

DNC out as Women's March sponsor amid anti-Semitism controversy

Old 01-20-19, 10:09 AM
Political Exile

DNC out as Women's March sponsor amid anti-Semitism controversy

We already know that Linda Sarsour, one of the organizers of every Women's March, has made these four tweets in favor of the U.S. adopting Sharia law. Here are her exact words:

10 weeks of PAID maternity leave in Saudi Arabia. Yes PAID. And ur worrying about women driving. Puts us to shame.

shariah law is reasonable and once u read into the details it makes a lot of sense. People just know the basics

You'll know when you're living under Sharia Law if suddenly all your loans & credit cards become interest free. Sound nice, doesn't it?

If you are still paying interest than Sharia Law hasn't taken over America.
Sharia law bans women from driving cars, prohibits women from appearing alone in public, calls for girls to have their genitals mutilated, and gives a woman’s testimony in court only half the value of a man’s. Any movement which truly cared about women’s rights would not support someone who wants the U.S. to treat women in such a horrible and repulsive manner.

In addition, Sarsour's favorite country arrested seven feminists because they spoke out against Sharia law. They could get the death penalty.

Conservative women were not allowed to speak on stage at the march. They could participate in the march itself, because it was on public property. But they were not allowed to speak on stage.

And here’s more proof that the Women’s March is not about helping women, and is, instead, only about helping the political left: In September 2018, a Political Action Committee which is related to the Women’s March targeted political candidates who have been accused of sexually harassing women. However, of the five candidates whom it targeted, every single one of them was a Republican. Not a single Democrat was targeted, despite the fact that plenty of Democratic candidates have been accused of sexually harassing women.

Furthermore, a woman named Donna Hylton spent 27 years in a maximum-security prison for being an accessory to the kidnapping, torture, rape, and murder of a gay man. After Hylton got out of prison, liberals asked her to be a speaker at the January 21, 2017 Women’s March.

In addition, Rasmea Yousef Odeh is a a convicted Palestinian terrorist who participated in the bombing of a grocery store in Israel which killed two students. She was a role model for the March 8, 2017 “Day without a Woman." Female participants were encouraged to skip school so they could spend the day standing in the street in front of oncoming traffic.

Sarsour was arrested for sitting in the street and blocking traffic in New York City during the “Day without a Woman” protest.

Now, in 2019 (in the article below), there are new claims that other high ranking people involved in the march are anti-semitic.

Finally, I would actually argue, based on this, that Muslims are actually treated better in Israel than they are in any other Middle Eastern country. Therefore, the various movements to boycott Israel (while not boycotting other middle eastern countries), must be based on something other than the actions of the Israeli government.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sm/2586665002/

Democratic National Committee out as Women's March sponsor amid anti-Semitism controversy

January 15, 2019

The Women’s March, beset by controversy while preparing for weekend rallies in Washington and other cities across the United States, won’t have a major supporter by its side.

The Democratic National Committee’s name was removed Tuesday from the list of sponsors for Saturday’s event in the nation’s capital, organized by New York-based Women’s March Inc.

Some of the group’s members have been accused of holding anti-Semitic views, and the criticism only intensified when WMI co-president Tamika Mallory appeared Monday on ABC’s “The View’’ and declined to denounce Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, who has made several derogatory remarks about Jews.DNC officials would not comment on the reason or the timing for its name no longer appearing on the sponsor list, but issued a statement in support of women's rights.

“The DNC stands in solidarity with all those fighting for women's rights and holding the Trump administration and Republican lawmakers across the country accountable. Women are on the front lines of fighting back against this administration and are the core of our Democratic Party," the statement read.
However, in a May 2017 posting on her Facebook account, Mallory appears in a photo alongside Farrakhan next to a caption that reads, “Thank God this man is still alive and doing well. He is definitely the GOAT.’’

GOAT is short for Greatest Of All Time.

When confronted by co-host Meghan McCain about Farrakhan’s remarks, which have included references to “satanic Jews’’ and compared them to “termites,’’ Mallory said, “I don’t agree with many of Minister Farrakhan’s statements.’’

Pressed by McCain, Mallory said, “It’s not my language. It’s not the way that I speak. It is not how I organize.’’

WMI officials had previously come under fire for their slow response to Farrakhan’s comments and to accusations of anti-Semitism by former members.
The Daily Beast reported that less than half of the nearly 550 partners listed last year have returned for 2019.The 2017 Women’s March, held the day after Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, drew an estimated 700,000 participants in Washington and a total of approximately 4 million nationwide, many of them carrying signs repudiating Trump.

The event lost steam in its second iteration last January, but cities like Los Angeles (600,000), Chicago (300,000) and New York (200,000) still reported rallies with crowds in the six figures. WMI did not organize those marches.

Hopes were initially high for this year’s turnout, especially after a record 102 women were elected to the House of Representatives in the November midterms, but now the event is clouded in controversy.

Dana R. Fisher, a University of Maryland sociology professor who has studied activism and American politics, said WMI has tried to co-opt the movement and may be hurting it now.

“The movement is not just one organization,’’ Fisher said. “It is extremely unfortunate there is this implosion going on. It’s really distracting, and it’s very possible it’s going to distract from turnout.’’

Individual elected officials are free to participate in Women's March activities if they so choose, the DNC said.

Women’s March Inc. leaders did not respond to USA TODAY's requests for comment, but during Monday’s appearance on “The View,’’ co-president Bob Bland said, “The Women’s March unequivocally condemns anti-Semitism, bigotry … we condemn any statements of hate.’’

Last edited by grundle; 01-20-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-20-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DNC out as Women's March sponsor amid anti-Semitism controversy

I have grundle on ignore but I can imagine what kind of bullshit post this is. Since when have anti-feminist racist fucking pieces of shit been concerned about Jews? Really, you're just making your "side" look all the stupider.
Old 01-20-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually this one might have some truth to it... CNN had a story about this yesterday, but I didn't really pay much attention to it. You're right though, this post does come off as "See, even the left doesn't like the jews, we're not so bad!" vs actual concern.
Old 01-20-19, 12:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I have grundle on ignore but I can imagine what kind of bullshit post this is. Since when have anti-feminist racist fucking pieces of shit been concerned about Jews? Really, you're just making your "side" look all the stupider.

I guess the "ignore" feature doesn't apply to new thread titles.
Old 01-20-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle
Finally, I would actually argue, based on this, that Muslims are actually treated better in Israel than they are in any other Middle Eastern country. Therefore, the various movements to boycott Israel (while not boycotting other middle eastern countries), must be based on something other than the actions of the Israeli government.
Old 01-20-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grundle, did you actually read those four tweets you posted? Did you think you understood them?

I don't know anything about Sarsour, but based on those tweets she is not proposing Sharia Law be adopted in the US. She's simply pointing out it can have its benefits. Some of those benefits are better than what we have in this country. If you still don't understand, consider the following sentence: "Hannibal Lecter is a charming character." The preceding sentence is NOT an endorsement of murder or cannibalism. Does that make sense to you?

You embarrass yourself so badly sometimes, it makes me feel embarrassed for you. Please stop embarrassing me.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 01-20-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 03:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Grundle, did you actually read those four tweets you posted? Did you think you understood them?

I don't know anything about Sarsour, but based on those tweets she is not proposing Sharia Law be adopted in the US. She's simply pointing out it can have its benefits. Some of those benefits are better than what we have in this country. If you still don't understand, consider the following sentence: "Hannibal Lecter is a charming character." The preceding sentence is NOT an endorsement of murder or cannibalism. Do that make sense to you?

You embarrass yourself so badly sometime, it makes me feel embarrassed for you. Please stop embarrassing me.
If it's the four I'm thinking of, This was explained to him over a year ago. I'm SHOCKED that he's still beating that dead horse. But y'know... Gotta get the message out there! Sarsour is a mean lady!
Old 01-20-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The DNC is right to distance themselves. Too many whack-a-doodles out there these days.
Old 01-20-19, 03:44 PM

I often see conservatives praising elements of Sharia law as well, especially when it comes to corporal punishment. Doesn't mean they want the whole shebang.
Old 01-20-19, 04:03 PM
Political Exile

I don't know anything about Sarsour, but based on those tweets she is not proposing Sharia Law be adopted in the US. She's simply pointing out it can have its benefits. Some of those benefits are better than what we have in this country. If you still don't understand, consider the following sentence: "Hannibal Lecter is a charming character." The preceding sentence is NOT an endorsement of murder or cannibalism. Does that make sense to you?

You embarrass yourself so badly sometimes, it makes me feel embarrassed for you. Please stop embarrassing me.

I read them, and I understood them.

Under Sharia law, you don't pay interest, but you still pay other fees. Sarsour thinks her target audience is too stupid to figure that out.

If she really thought Saudi Arabia was better than the U.S., she would have moved there.

As it stands in the real world, immigration between the two countries always goes in the opposite direction, because the U.S. is a much better place to live.
Old 01-20-19, 04:05 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I often see conservatives praising elements of Sharia law as well, especially when it comes to corporal punishment. Doesn't mean they want the whole shebang.

I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives who praise spanking, but not because of any association it might have with Sharia law.

Old 01-20-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Prior to 911, the only thing the rednecks in the little hick town I grew up in knew about Moose Lambs is that they would cut off your hands for stealing. And they were generally awed and enamored by it.
Old 01-20-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
. . .I understood them.
No you didn't, as proven by everything you wrote after.

Under Sharia law, you don't pay interest, but you still pay other fees. Sarsour thinks her target audience is too stupid to figure that out.
She talked about interest. Not the same thing as fees. Interest is an ongoing expense that never goes away until the principal debt is paid. Fees may happen more than once, but they're almost never going to cost as much as interest. So, yeah that would be an improvement over the way most loans happen in the US.

If she really thought Saudi Arabia was better than the U.S., she would have moved there.
Not once did she say Saudi Arabia was better than the US. Could you at least not lie about the stuff YOU posted?

Hey Grundle, guess who did praise Saudi Arabia's legal system? *President Trump.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...e-get-divorce/
Don't trust Mother Jones? Don't worry. Here it is from the Daily Caller.

https://dailycaller.com/2016/10/01/f...ood-president/
I’ve heard a lot of different grounds for divorce but here’s a new one: A man in Saudi Arabia divorced his wife for watching a television show when she was at home alone. There are a lot of male chauvinists in this country who really agree with what’s going on over there. They want their women only in the kitchen. The problem was that the show was hosted by a man and, apparently, the husband thought it was an immoral act that his wife was watching this program all by herself. The man ended his marriage on the grounds that his wife was basically alone with an unrelated man — an act which is forbidden under the strict Islamic law enforced in the ultra-conservative kingdom. Men in Saudi Arabia have the authority to divorce their wives without going to the courts. I guess that would also mean they don’t need prenuptial agreements. The fact is: No courts, no judges. Saudi Arabia sounds like a very good place to get a divorce. I’m Donald Trump, and that’s the real deal.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 01-20-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would recommend educating yourself on this woman. Grundle provided quite a bit of info to start.
Old 01-22-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Prior to 911, the only thing the rednecks in the little hick town I grew up in knew about Moose Lambs is that they would cut off your hands for stealing. And they were generally awed and enamored by it.
"Awed and enamored by it". That's perfect. I've talked to them too.
Old 01-22-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I would recommend educating yourself on this woman. Grundle provided quite a bit of info to start.
Why couldn't grundle provide relevant info? He started the thread.
Old 01-24-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm assuming articles that have the woman's name in them, who is the same woman we are talking about, is very relevant, regardless if you agree with those articles or not. It's not too much of a stretch to know this woman hangs out with controversial organizations that are linked to funding terrorist groups. She may not be a terrorist...but associating with people who represent those organizations, along with her statements...makes her certainly not appear as somebody who would offer you Apple Pie on July 4th.

However, I have noticed the Saudis are not too fond of Sarsour--at least publicly. I'd say her favorite country isn't necessarily the current Saudi Arabia, and probably would want the country to be less moderate that it currently is (which as we all know is extreme enough).
Old 01-24-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This story was featured on the 1/22 episode of Vice on HBO for those interested
Old 01-24-19, 11:47 PM
Political Exile

No you didn't, as proven by everything you wrote after.

She talked about interest. Not the same thing as fees. Interest is an ongoing expense that never goes away until the principal debt is paid. Fees may happen more than once, but they're almost never going to cost as much as interest. So, yeah that would be an improvement over the way most loans happen in the US.

Not once did she say Saudi Arabia was better than the US. Could you at least not lie about the stuff YOU posted?

Hey Grundle, guess who did praise Saudi Arabia's legal system? *President Trump.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...e-get-divorce/
Don't trust Mother Jones? Don't worry. Here it is from the Daily Caller.

https://dailycaller.com/2016/10/01/f...ood-president/

I actually do trust Mother Jones. I've posted articles form them in this forum before. Same thing with Huffington Post and the Nation. Those are all good sources.

If Sharia compliant loans are cheaper, then I'm guessing there's probably some other tradeoff which makes them undesirable. Otherwise, I would expect them to be far more common than they are.

Old 01-24-19, 11:48 PM
Political Exile

I quoted her saying that Sharia law is "reasonable." That, by itself, is all we really need to know about her.
Old 01-25-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm assuming articles that have the woman's name in them, who is the same woman we are talking about, is very relevant, regardless if you agree with those articles or not. It's not too much of a stretch to know this woman hangs out with controversial organizations that are linked to funding terrorist groups. She may not be a terrorist...but associating with people who represent those organizations, along with her statements...makes her certainly not appear as somebody who would offer you Apple Pie on July 4th.

However, I have noticed the Saudis are not too fond of Sarsour--at least publicly. I'd say her favorite country isn't necessarily the current Saudi Arabia, and probably would want the country to be less moderate that it currently is (which as we all know is extreme enough).
So what you're saying is. . .If a person spends time with certain questionable types of people, and is constantly being sympathetic with those same questionalbe types, that person may actually BE one of those questionable types.

Interesting.

Could we say, substitute the word "criminial" in place of "terrorist," and how about the word "Trump" in place of "Sarsour?"

Does the same line of reasoning apply? I'll let you answer, DVDP.

Spoiler:
J/K. We both know you won't.