Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

How the news media is stealing from professional wrestling

Old 12-22-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How the news media is stealing from professional wrestling

Thought this was pretty interesting and worthy of discussion. For those who do not know him, Eric Bischoff is the former head of World Championship Wrestling. He worked for the AWA in Minneapolis, Ted Turner's World Championship Wrestling and the WWE.

I thought he brought up a lot of very valid and interesting points(especially when he tells the story about Verne) and even if you are not a wrestling fan, it's hard not to see a lot of pro wrestling in what the news channels do in this day and age.
Old 12-22-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How the news media is stealing from professional wrestling

To paraphrase the video -- If you get angry, that's what they want. When you're angry, you aren't thinking.

It reminds me of the 2-minute hate in Orwell's 1984.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 12-22-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve said that for a long time ... news reporting is not about reporting news — it’s about selling advertising which has turned it into entertainment.

Bischoff mentions Ted Turner, 24-hour news, and how it is cheaper to put three talking heads in a studio than to actually report on the news. It’s not only cheaper, but it is necessary. There isn’t enough news to fill the never-ending programming needed to sell commercials around the clock.

Turner also turned that programming into a business. Before cable, the three networks simply wrote off the news as a public service. They didn’t intend (or expect) to make any money off of the advertising. Entertainment programming covered that. Then it became a business and network execs expected the news to pull its own weight.
Old 12-23-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
To paraphrase the video -- If you get angry, that's what they want. When you're angry, you aren't thinking.

It reminds me of the 2-minute hate in Orwell's 1984.
Thanks for the succinct precis!

Said dynamic is why we are so completely screwed.