Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

YouTube host faces charges for criticising Thai princess's Miss Universe dress

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-19-18, 04:01 PM
Political Exile

I don't care about this dress. (There's a picture of it at the link, but it's not showing up in my post.)

I'm just glad that I was born in a country where this kind of speech is legal instead of a crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...universe-dress

Online presenter accused of affecting the country’s reputation after suggesting the outfit was ugly

December 19, 2018

The dress designed by Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana for Miss Universe Thailand 2018. Photograph: Miss Universe

A popular YouTube presenter may be facing charges in Thailand after she criticised a Miss Universe dress that was designed by the daughter of the king.

Wanchaleom Jamneanphol, a popular online TV host, has been the subject of several charges made to the police under Thailand’s notoriously strict cybercrimes and lèse-majesté laws – which make it illegal to say anything negative about the monarchy – for her comments online describing a dress designed by Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana as ugly.

The blue dress was worn by the Thai entrant, Sophida Kanchanarin, at the 67th Miss Universe pageant which was held in Nonthaburi province, Thailand.

Jamneanphol’s post criticising the design of the couture gown went viral and prompted Thai millionaire businessman and aspiring politician Kitjanut Chaiyosburana to file charges against her this week.

“I cannot accept that a well-known individual in the online world expressed negative opinions that affect the country’s reputation,” Chaiyosburana told reporters, describing the post as “irresponsible behaviour”.

The charges were filed and accepted by the Thai police’s technology crime suppression division.

Thailand has some of the strictest lèse-majesté laws in the world, punishing anyone who “defames, insults or threatens the king, the queen, the heir-apparent or the regent” who are greatly revered in Thailand and hold considerable power.

The law, which has been in place since 1908, has been increasingly enforced ever since the Thai military took power in 2014 in a coup, with many people punished with harsh jail sentences. Critics say the law is used to suppress freedom of speech, and campaigners and the United Nations have repeatedly called for it to be amended. The computer crimes laws also strictly control what Thai people can post online and carry equally severe sentences.

Jamneanphol has since deleted the post on Facebook and apologised in a post online, in which she emphasised she “did not have any intention to insult or disrespect the high institution”.

“I merely did not know the full consequences of my actions via my posts and comments, which caused damage to Your Royal Highness and the monarchy,” said Jamneanphol.

Nariratana, who is the only daughter of King Vajiralongkorn and former consort Sujarinee Vivacharawongse, is the founder and creative director of her own high-end fashion line, Sirivannavari. She is often seen on the pages of Tatler and Vogue and is widely described as Thailand’s “most fashionable royal”.
Old 12-19-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: YouTube host faces charges for criticising Thai princess's Miss Universe dress

That's the one thing that is off-limits in Thailand. You don't talk negatively about the monarchy EVER. The online host should have known better, being Thai and all.
Old 12-19-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: YouTube host faces charges for criticising Thai princess's Miss Universe dress

Ladyboys?
Old 12-19-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Ladyboys?
Nah that's Spain
Old 12-19-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
That's the one thing that is off-limits in Thailand. You don't talk negatively about the monarchy EVER. The online host should have known better, being Thai and all.
Yeah, this. Thai authorities are VERY sensitive about any perceived disrespect of their royal family. If the host is Thai, and knew who designed the address (not sure if he did, I didn't read the entire story) then he's kind of a dumbass for doing this.
Old 12-19-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the Thai Princess in question a ladyboy?
Old 12-20-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

In a country with the reputation like Thailand it seems absurd to me that seemingly their only law is “don’t offend the monarchy”. Your country has a reputation for lawlessness, the sex trade, drugs, pollution, etc. But they’re worried about their reputation online? How about your reputation as a country?
Old 12-20-18, 05:17 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

That's a good point.

And even when someone from another country goes to visit, it's always a good idea to read up on those kinds of things before you start your trip.
Old 12-20-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see what the western press has to say about the princess.

Is Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana the most talented royal in the world?

Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana of Thailand style: The royal's best looks

5 Times We Were Charmed by HRH Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana. The multi-talented Thai royal speaks with Prestige about her work, passions and future plans.

It seems that nobody is willing to print a bad word about her.
Old 12-20-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
That's a good point.

And even when someone from another country goes to visit, it's always a good idea to read up on those kinds of things before you start your trip.
Well, shit yes! Honestly, if I'm heading to a country for the first time, my first question after "What shots do I need?" is "What is really illegal there that I wouldn't think twice about doing in Canada?"
Old 12-20-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For one thing, cultshock, now is not the time to be booking a trip to China.
Old 12-20-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, you are right about that! And I'd be very nervous if I was working as a Canadian over there right now.
Old 12-20-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you can be disappeared pretty easily, and Trudeau is taking his "sunny days" approach to the detentions. He's admittedly in a tough spot. I don't envy him, but his waffling and weakness are showing.
Was it Chretien (or Martin?) who spoke out this week, saying he faced a similar deportation situation during his tenure, and he made sure the wanted person was dumped quickly into American hands, leaving them with the full blame? We could use Chretien - someone more assertive - right about now.
Old 12-21-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
For one thing, cultshock, now is not the time to be booking a trip to China.
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Oh man, you are right about that! And I'd be very nervous if I was working as a Canadian over there right now.
Frankly I don't know why anyone would want to work there, all things considered, let alone go there. Interesting people and culture (even if Hong Kong and its people actually gave it to the world long before Mainland China came out of the dark ages), stunning landscapes (just just ignore that staggering economic divide and the majority of the population still living at subsistence level all throughout it), but a wicked political ideology (and no, even the current oddball American state of affairs can't compare . . . yet). Itching for a big Asian fix in your career? Go to Hong Kong. Go to South Korea. Go to Japan. Lots of places where you won't be "disappeared" purely out of retaliation for something your home country does with actual probable cause.
Old 12-21-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Yeah, you can be disappeared pretty easily, and Trudeau is taking his "sunny days" approach to the detentions. He's admittedly in a tough spot. I don't envy him, but his waffling and weakness are showing.
Was it Chretien (or Martin?) who spoke out this week, saying he faced a similar deportation situation during his tenure, and he made sure the wanted person was dumped quickly into American hands, leaving them with the full blame? We could use Chretien - someone more assertive - right about now.
Yeah, he is in a really tight spot, he's just following international extradition treaties I believe, but man are we getting the heat for that. I can't recall something similar happening with Chretien or Martin but yes, Meng should have been turned over to US authorities as soon as possible. Now, her next court date is in February? What the fuck? Meanwhile, one of the Canadians detained is apparently being denied access to lawyers and not allowed to have his lights turned off at night. This is some serious shit.

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Frankly I don't know why anyone would want to work there, all things considered, let alone go there. Interesting people and culture (even if Hong Kong and its people actually gave it to the world long before Mainland China came out of the dark ages), stunning landscapes (just just ignore that staggering economic divide and the majority of the population still living at subsistence level all throughout it), but a wicked political ideology (and no, even the current oddball American state of affairs can't compare . . . yet). Itching for a big Asian fix in your career? Go to Hong Kong. Go to South Korea. Go to Japan. Lots of places where you won't be "disappeared" purely out of retaliation for something your home country does with actual probable cause.
Totally agree, between China's politics and horrible air pollution, I have no desire to go there, and certainly wouldn't go there for work. Hong Kong would be as close as I would get these days.
Old 12-21-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Agree with both of you about having no desire whatsoever to visit, much less live in, China.
Old 12-21-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this were a primarily Canadian forum there would already be a huge thread about this, but instead, here we are.
Old 12-21-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.CanadianTalk.ca,eh?

That .ca,eh is a tricky web domain.

We’ve been seeing an influx of new members ever since the shutdown of the forums over at IHDB (Internet Hoser Database).
Old 12-21-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile, back in the United States ...

Old 12-21-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
If this were a primarily Canadian forum there would already be a huge thread about this, but instead, here we are.
We few remaining Canucks have to slip in the CanCon wherever possible, or just add it to the "Rob Ford, Whitney Houston..." thread.