Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do you think Trump will be re-elected in 2 years (2020)?
Yes
33.33%
No
48.28%
What are you high?
18.39%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think Trump will be re-elected in 2 years (2020)?

Old 12-18-18, 09:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Do you think Trump will be re-elected in 2 years (2020)?

i'm not big on current politics. i vote, of course, but the state of this country, the world is just crazy to put it very simply. the history of politics i love, but going on right now (Healthcare, taxes, stock market, SS, etc.) is just absurd.

so will he or won't he?

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-19-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Do you think Trump will be re-elected in 2 years (2020)?

I say no, the baggage is too much and will get worse.
Old 12-18-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its hard to say. Sadly a lot of people who voted for him then probably will again. Too many people are just blinded by all the bad things he's done and will give him a pass because of loyalty to their party. Not to say that doesn't go both ways of course. I'd like to hope not but it honestly wouldn't shock me.
Old 12-18-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No way. His base is only in the high 30s, can't win with just them. And Independents only voted for him in 2016 because of hatred for HRC. With a less divisive Democratic candidate he's toast.
Old 12-18-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted for the third option since there was no "he'll be in prison in 2020" option.
Old 12-18-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I voted for the third option since there was no "he'll be in prison in 2020" option.
Old 12-18-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still can't believe he won in 2016.
Old 12-18-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nearly everyone who frequents this forum was completely wrong in 2016 when asked who would win. So it strikes me as odd that anyone would ask that same group their opinion for 2020.
Old 12-18-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He’ll win again - he has more support than the polls indicate. And plenty of the same people will turn out, especially once the “Dems are evil” machine spins up again.
Old 12-18-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My guess is that he won’t seek re-election (or at most won’t see a campaign all the way through).
Old 12-19-18, 12:10 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
His base is only in the high 30s, can't win with just them.
I agree. That's the bad news good news both summarized in one sentence.
Old 12-19-18, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I voted “no” but I wouldn’t bet the mortgage on that.

I think he will have way, way more baggage than any other candidate. And unlike 2016 it won’t be rumors, “he said, she said” stuff. He will have such baggage and be in such trouble, he won’t be able to talk about/defend for fear of giving up more evidence. The “I’m under audit” response just won’t fly. I don’t think. I just think he will be embarrassed in any debate, if he were to accept any.

Also, as the additional crimes keep revealing and the people around him go to jail or cut more deals, I think he might cut a deal. Step down to avoid impeachment. Might even include a partial pardon.

Just think enough now for me to lean to “no”.
Old 12-19-18, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Nearly everyone who frequents this forum was completely wrong in 2016 when asked who would win. So it strikes me as odd that anyone would ask that same group their opinion for 2020.
I know, right! Because everyone knows, "once wrong, always wrong".
Old 12-19-18, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I know, right! Because everyone knows, "once wrong, always wrong".
Well, you do have Hillary making plans for 2020...so, I have to wonder if she'll do to Cortez what she did to Warren and Bernie Sanders. Which was basically telling them to fuck off and die or join her campaign.

However, no, I don't think Trump will win in 2020.

A few things need to happen. Trump won because he managed to do what Democrats could not, which was, go out and vote, and second, vote for change. The change hasn't happened, imo.

We also might have a larger Independent crowd this time around.

Rarely do voters vote the same President again (of course people voted for Obama again and Bush before that), and especially since Trump came into office that represented a lot more than just typical Republicans or Democrats, Trump would need to demonstrate he is good on his word in the upcoming 2 years. Due to people like McSally being put into Republican seats, I don't think old-fashioned (i.e., Established) Republicans want Trump for a 2nd Term because they risk losing their party's "Conservative vision" entirely.
Old 12-19-18, 07:15 AM
Admin-Thanos

I voted no, but it's a very cautious no. Despite what this place thinks of Trump, there are far more supporters of him than the polls show. People are embarrassed to admit they like him and that they like the flavor of racism that his administration brings, but when the booth is closed and it is time to cast that vote, they will pull the trigger again for Trump. The Democrats can win, but they really need to turn out the vote. If Trump loses, it will be by the slimmest of margins. The electoral college is favored for Republicans.
Old 12-19-18, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I voted no, but it's a very cautious no. Despite what this place thinks of Trump, there are far more supporters of him than the polls show. People are embarrassed to admit they like him and that they like the flavor of racism that his administration brings, but when the booth is closed and it is time to cast that vote, they will pull the trigger again for Trump. The Democrats can win, but they really need to turn out the vote. If Trump loses, it will be by the slimmest of margins. The electoral college is favored for Republicans.
This.
Old 12-19-18, 07:33 AM

Old 12-19-18, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, you do have Hillary making plans for 2020...so, I have to wonder if she'll do to Cortez what she did to Warren and Bernie Sanders. Which was basically telling them to fuck off and die or join her campaign.

However, no, I don't think Trump will win in 2020.

A few things need to happen. Trump won because he managed to do what Democrats could not, which was, go out and vote, and second, vote for change. The change hasn't happened, imo.

We also might have a larger Independent crowd this time around.

Rarely do voters vote the same President again (of course people voted for Obama again and Bush before that), and especially since Trump came into office that represented a lot more than just typical Republicans or Democrats, Trump would need to demonstrate he is good on his word in the upcoming 2 years. Due to people like McSally being put into Republican seats, I don't think old-fashioned (i.e., Established) Republicans want Trump for a 2nd Term because they risk losing their party's "Conservative vision" entirely.
I have zero idea what any of this means.
Old 12-19-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on the bullshit I hear people still spewing at work, I voted yes. People repeat his stupid nicknames and rhetoric daily.
Old 12-19-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted, "yes" and take no pleasure in it. Obama said in an interview "don't underestimate him" and what do we all do on a regular basis? "Oh, he's a moron!" "We got him this time!" we smugly exclaim and yet he's still POTUS after 2 years. They've nailed a bunch of his henchmen, but not HIM. We boast about a blue wave and yet all we got was one measly part of Congress while he still has the Presidency, the Senate, and The Supreme Court at his command. "He'll be impeached!" Uh-huh. As for 2020, Trump has, like Khan in "Star Trek II", people "willing to live and die at his command" while we have a bunch of middle-of-the-road Dems who will be most likely, mealy-mouthed and willing to play it safe and have, at best, low charisma that will inspire a lukewarm response.

This doesn't even cover the rest of the GOP that have been laying down the groundwork for 2020 with more voter suppression, (including closing down of polling places), gerrymandering, all buttressed by rulings by a growing number of conservative judges. The Republicans have been playing six-dimensional chess for decades while the Dems have been scratching their heads and scrambling for the instructions to tic-tac toe. Face it, we have four more years of this piece of shit (unless they overturn the 22nd Amendment, and we get more), now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to slit my wrists in a warm bath with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Last edited by PatD; 12-19-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted "no" because hope is the last thing you lose
Old 12-19-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I voted "no" because hope is the last thing you lose
And I hope he is in prison before this term ends. Plus with his healthy lifestyle and the pressure a normal presidential term adds, added with his extra stress of his tenure, I would be surprised if he lives to see 2020.
Old 12-19-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
so will he or won't he?
Maybe! Or maybe not.
Old 12-19-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems to me the question is more like will the GOP win in 2020. At this point it doesn't seem to matter to them if a candidate if competent, or even a decent human being. It's simply if their party is power. So it doesn't matter if the 2020 candidate is Trump, or even somebody worse than Trump (in many ways Pence, and many of the other 2016 GOP candidates, are far worse than Trump) if the GOP continues to control the key electoral votes, it's all going to repeat itself.
Old 12-19-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to slit my wrists in a warm bath with tears streaming down my cheeks.
Can someone check on PatD?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.