Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 08-28-19, 11:04 PM
  #13251  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,973
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Anecdotally, I have a number of former military friends on Facebook. Most of them supported Trump wholeheartedly when he appointed General Mattis. Gen. Mattis came out against Trump earlier this week, now this. I have a hard time believing they’ll turn on Trump now considering all the anti-military nonsense Trump has pulled since his time in office that they’ve turned a blind eye to but this can’t really help him.
I don't think there's anything Trump could do that would significantly chip away at his military support. My experience is that a lot of military types are diehard conservatives, and they're going to back Trump (or any republican, for that matter) against any democrat. Trump could wipe his ass with a flag and cut their pay in half, and he'd probably keep 90% of his military support.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 11:38 PM
  #13252  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,855
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I doubt it's a big secret that I'm not a fan of trump, that I think he's the worst thing to happen to America in a long while and that his idiotic tweets are a plague on the nation... but this was actually kinda funny...

slop101 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 07:52 AM
  #13253  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,450
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

OK he is an asshole but that did get a slight chuckle out of me.

Also I dont think it will be the "Age of mcTrump" as much as the "Trump Error" (not era).
jpcamb is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 09:40 AM
  #13254  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,042
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
I hope so too, Donald.

A lot of us do.
I don't think Donnie posts here.

But hey, keep trying. Tila Tequila used to be active here. She was also a D-list celebrity who became a Nazi sympathizer.
Dr. Mantle is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 09:44 AM
  #13255  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,222
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
I don't think Donnie posts here.

But hey, keep trying. Tila Tequila used to be active here. She was also a D-list celebrity who became a Nazi sympathizer.
Adorable that his fanboy is on a first name basis with his imaginary friend
cungar is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 09:55 AM
  #13256  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,658
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
The loans could be co-signed by Vladimir Putin himself, with a scribbled note saying "looking forward to installing you as the next President of the United States" ... and Trump's supporters will say, "So what? Hillary kept her emails on a private server - which is a thousand times worse!"

Remember the Trump supporters below?
4f
Man those dumbass Trump supporters. Yesterday I am running on the treadmill at my gym. My plantar fascietis is flaring up something fierce. A nice man, apparently late 60s I'd guess smiles and flags me down while I am running. I assume to ask if I'm okay because I must be limping and grimacing. with every step. I pause my TV show, remove the headphones and look up to him while still running. This man, who has never spoken to me before, says "I was shopping for a Buick. Then I looked and saw that all the parts were made in China. All of them. So I just didn't but it!". I looked at him quizzically. He said "So those tariffs won't affect ME". At that point I understood. He's a Trumpster hoping to find some other old white guy to tell him he's right. That is not going to be me.. I should have either politely smiled and nodded or impolitely rolled my eyes and put my headphones back on. Instead I asked him "Do you own a cell phone?" He said yes. I said "Where do you think it's made?" He got flustered and said "We could make that here". I said "but we don't". He said "Well I don't need another one of those either" and walked off. I swear these idiots watch Fox News for one reason and one reason only -- to be told that they're right. They are probably having some self-doubt all the time and desperately need to know other people think they're on the right side. It's amazing really.

Last edited by story; 08-30-19 at 12:37 AM.
Decker is online now  
Old 08-29-19, 10:15 AM
  #13257  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,864
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Yeah, but what I'd like to know is : Where was Obama when that happened?

inri222 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 10:16 AM
  #13258  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,855
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Instead I asked him "Do you own a cell phone?" He said yes. I said "Where do you think it's made?" He got flustered and said "We could make that here". I said "but we don't". He said "Well I don't need another one of those either" and walked off.
Well, my Samsung Galaxy is made in South Korea, so there!

slop101 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 10:16 AM
  #13259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,222
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

My daughter just entered high school and has marching band. I met the band teacher and he seemed like a nice guy but yesterday she came home and said he was ranting against Democrats and our governor Gavin Newsome increasing his taxes. On the third day of school. Can they do this? It's the second time she's had a MAGA teacher with a big mouth. Aren't there rules against teachers trying to push politics on kids in a regular classroom? You'd think that he'd take a hint living in Southern California that someone's going to complain.
cungar is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 10:22 AM
  #13260  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,762
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Well, my Samsung Galaxy is made in South Korea, so there!
Is it though? Seriously, I'm asking.

My phone is Finnish (sort of), but you can bet your ass it was made in China.
Paff is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 11:40 AM
  #13261  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,142
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
My daughter just entered high school and has marching band. I met the band teacher and he seemed like a nice guy but yesterday she came home and said he was ranting against Democrats and our governor Gavin Newsome increasing his taxes. On the third day of school. Can they do this? It's the second time she's had a MAGA teacher with a big mouth. Aren't there rules against teachers trying to push politics on kids in a regular classroom? You'd think that he'd take a hint living in Southern California that someone's going to complain.
I would imagine that the school has policies or rules against it, yes. The instructor/teacher might try to hide behind tenure but would then have to show the relevancy of their argument & statements to the course they are teaching. In short, tenure doesn't protect you from saying whatever you want if it isn't germane to what you teach.

Nefarious is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 11:49 AM
  #13262  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,855
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Is it though? Seriously, I'm asking.

My phone is Finnish (sort of), but you can bet your ass it was made in China.
It's box does say "made in Korea", so unless it's lying.... I suppose it's possible some of the parts are from China, but it would've said that.
slop101 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 12:25 PM
  #13263  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,333
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
My daughter just entered high school and has marching band. I met the band teacher and he seemed like a nice guy but yesterday she came home and said he was ranting against Democrats and our governor Gavin Newsome increasing his taxes. On the third day of school. Can they do this? It's the second time she's had a MAGA teacher with a big mouth. Aren't there rules against teachers trying to push politics on kids in a regular classroom? You'd think that he'd take a hint living in Southern California that someone's going to complain.
In the 1970s many of my teachers were pro-union, pro-Democrat, and pro-big government. Of course, they were all unionized government employees. It took me until my 20s before I realized how much that worldview had been taught me mixed with history and English.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 12:26 PM
  #13264  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 403
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's box does say "made in Korea", so unless it's lying.... I suppose it's possible some of the parts are from China, but it would've said that.
Maybe just the actual box was made in Korea.
JackoOnHisBacko is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 12:52 PM
  #13265  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,857
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Weird I though that the Tariff war wasn't going to impact regular Americans.
The White House is examining a proposal by Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) to cut taxes by the amount raised from the tariffs imposed on China, according to a senior official, as the Trump administration faces pressure to contain the economic damage from the global trade conflict.

President Trump has discussed the plan with aides, but details of how it would work remain unclear, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. The plan would require congressional approval, and its fate there is uncertain.

Scott first floated the idea in an interview on CNBC earlier this month. The United States has raised about $43 billion in import duties from the tariffs that have already gone into effect on China since Trump became president, according to Nicole Kaeding, vice president of policy promotion at National Taxpayers Union Foundation. The administration is set to impose additional tariffs on scores of consumer goods on Sep. 1 and Dec. 15.
BDB is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 12:52 PM
  #13266  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,042
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
My daughter just entered high school and has marching band. I met the band teacher and he seemed like a nice guy but yesterday she came home and said he was ranting against Democrats and our governor Gavin Newsome increasing his taxes. On the third day of school. Can they do this? It's the second time she's had a MAGA teacher with a big mouth.
There may not be a policy against, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with band. Even if it's a class about politics, teachers shouldn't be ranting about anything.

Make a complaint about that doofus. Honestly, one of the worst things about trump is all the people who tell themselves, "the president's an obnoxious, loud mouth asshole. I can be an obnoxious, loud mouth asshole, too."

Luckily, most of those people get slapped down by their work/school/community.
Dr. Mantle is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 12:57 PM
  #13267  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,480
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Weird I though that the Tariff war wasn't going to impact regular Americans.
Oh, don't worry. This tax cut wouldn't impact regular Americans either.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:00 PM
  #13268  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,762
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
There may not be a policy against, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with band. Even if it's a class about politics, teachers shouldn't be ranting about anything.

Make a complaint about that doofus. Honestly, one of the worst things about trump is all the people who tell themselves, "the president's an obnoxious, loud mouth asshole. I can be an obnoxious, loud mouth asshole, too."

Luckily, most of those people get slapped down by their work/school/community.
If she complains, that band teacher will be like J.K. Simmons in Whiplash towards her. "Cungar's Daughter, not my tempo. You're third chair now"
Paff is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:05 PM
  #13269  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,352
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I suppose it's possible some of the parts are from China, but it would've said that.
Not necessarily, the phone could contain parts made anywhere. Customs' marking rules only require the packaging to indicate where the phone was assembled, as where that happens determines the country of origin according to customs law. (e.g. a shirt made in China from fabric made in Turkey is considered Chinese origin).


cultshock is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:17 PM
  #13270  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,222
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
If she complains, that band teacher will be like J.K. Simmons in Whiplash towards her. "Cungar's Daughter, not my tempo. You're third chair now"
LOL Yep. How'd you know she was in percussion?
cungar is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:19 PM
  #13271  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,772
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I like the name Cungar's Daughter, is it Norwegian?
Kurt D is online now  
Old 08-29-19, 01:21 PM
  #13272  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,762
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
LOL Yep. How'd you know she was in percussion?
I didn't. I was just using the phrase from the movie. If she weren't in percussion, she'd get treated like the poor trombone player.
Paff is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:25 PM
  #13273  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,611
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Man those dumbass Trump supporters. Yesterday I am running on the treadmill at my gym. My plantar fascietis is flaring up something fierce. A nice man, apparently late 60s I'd guess smiles and flags me down while I am running. I assume to ask if I'm okay because I must be limping and grimacing. with every step. I pause my TV show, remove the headphones and look up to him while still running. This man, who has never spoken to me before, says "I was shopping for a Buick. Then I looked and saw that all the parts were made in China. All of them. So I just didn't but it!". I looked at him quizzically. He said "So those tariffs won't affect ME". At that point I understood. He's a Trumpster hoping to find some other old white guy to tell him he's right. That is not going to be me.. I should have either politely smiled and nodded or impolitely rolled my eyes and put my headphones back on. Instead I asked him "Do you own a cell phone?" He said yes. I said "Where do you think it's made?" He got flustered and said "We could make that here". I said "but we don't". He said "Well I don't need another one of those either" and walked off. I swear these idiots watch Fox News for one reason and one reason only -- to be told that they're right. They are probably having some self-doubt all the time and desperately need to know other people think they're on the right side. It's amazing really.
If they’re having self-doubt, maybe there’s still hope for them yet.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 01:48 PM
  #13274  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 5,804
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Not necessarily, the phone could contain parts made anywhere. Customs' marking rules only require the packaging to indicate where the phone was assembled, as where that happens determines the country of origin according to customs law. (e.g. a shirt made in China from fabric made in Turkey is considered Chinese origin).
I could be wrong, but I believe that it can only state "Made in.." if a certain percentage (majority, perhaps?) of the components are from the listed country. Otherwise, it can only state "Assembled in..."
emanon is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 02:02 PM
  #13275  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,346
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Samsung manufactures 6% of their phones in Korea.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 08-29-19 at 02:25 PM.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.