Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 08-07-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 472 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
To be fair, anyone who expected him to be anything other than a complete POS human being was fooling themselves.
Old 08-08-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Here's a fun story:

Hannah was a server at a Washington, DC cafe. A customer (Jacqueline) came into the cafe, and Hannah took her order. At some point during the transaction, Hannah noticed that Jacqueline was wearing a "Keep America Great" pin. Hannah then stopped smiling. When Jacqueline asked what was wrong, Hannah said "I don't appreciate that you're wearing that pin."

For that sin, Jacqueline demanded a full refund on the meal, complained to the manager, and got Hannah fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/a-trump-supporting-customer-at-a-dc-cafe-claims-a-server-discriminated-against-her-the-server-says-she-just-answerede -the-womans-question/2019/08/07/a0daa26e-b870-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html
I hate Trump as much as anyone. And don’t think anyone should get fired over a single mistake. But she worked for someone else in the Customer Service Field. If I said something to every customer I didn’t agree with, I would have lost my job decades ago.

Again, getting fired over it seems extreme (assuming this was only issue). And if she wants to open her own place and not serve or or point out things to customers and deal with the reproductions, more power to her. But she was an employee that represented that business.

FYI I don’t have a subscription, so if the article or video offers more clarification, I reserve the right to amend my comments

Old 08-08-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I hate Trump as much as anyone. And donít think anyone should get fired over a single mistake. But she worked for someone else in the Customer Service Field. If I said something to every customer I didnít agree with, I would have lost my job decades ago.

Again, getting fired over it seems extreme (assuming this was only issue). And if she wants to open her own place and not serve or or point out things to customers and deal with the reproductions, more power to her. But she was an employee that represented that business.

FYI I donít have a subscription, so if the article or video offers more clarification, I reserve the right to amend my comments

I read the full article and you aren't missing anything that would alter your stance.
Old 08-08-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I donít think youíre missing anything either. I just fundamentally disagree that itís OK that someone can be fired for simply losing their smile when they see that a customer supports Trump. And I think the Trump supporter displayed a sickening amount of entitlement.
Old 08-08-19, 09:50 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah I would complain if a server had a comment about something I was wearing too. Doesn't matter what it is.
Old 08-08-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems somewhat in dispute, though, if that what she was fired for. Management is saying it was related to other things. The server believes it was related to this incident.

I strongly oppose pretty much every Trump policy and I can't imagine saying something to someone wearing a MAGA hat or "Keep America Great" pin unless they were in the act of saying or doing something that was unacceptable. Just eating a meal doesn't meet that threshold.

However, I can appreciate the idea that Trump has so aligned himself with hatred, misogyny, racism, xenophobia, and other hostile representations that are un-American and unacceptable. In that regard, I can somewhat support and understand someone who feels the very representation of Trump (via MAGA hats, pins, etc.) is espousing implicit support for those same things and feels the need/urge to call it out. Trump is responsible for that and it is without question to any rationale human being. For example, would I have an issue with a black waitress losing her smile and becoming visibly upset if a white patron removed their jacket to reveal they were waring a white power or nazi themed shirt? No, I'd understand. There is something to be said for the fact that these items are a representation of hate speech.

I don't know what the server's end goal is here. If it is just to bring awareness and a talking point, fine. If she wants to set up an angle to sue her former employer, no so fine.

Was it petty for the patrons to ask for a refund? Yes. Should the server be fired for that action alone? No.
Old 08-08-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Not that I'd wear that stupid pin, but I probably just would have shot back "Your job is to bring me food, not critique my wardrobe choices." Of course, then I'd worry about my food being spit on (or worse) in the kitchen.
Old 08-08-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I donít think youíre missing anything either. I just fundamentally disagree that itís OK that someone can be fired for simply losing their smile when they see that a customer supports Trump. And I think the Trump supporter displayed a sickening amount of entitlement.
It was more than "losing their smile."

Your article says the server said "I don't appreciate that you're wearing that pin."

I'd be pissed off too as a customer and would certainly complain to the manager.
Old 08-08-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Everything is crumbling...
GOP/trump: "We could fix it, but let's build a useless wall instead!"

Old 08-08-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That should make a nice campaign ad.
Old 08-08-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
That should make a nice campaign ad.
Or this...

Literally in the fucking hospital and politicking like an asshole.

Old 08-08-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Your article says the server said "I don't appreciate that you're wearing that pin."

I'd be pissed off too as a customer and would certainly complain to the manager.
The customer ASKED her why she lost her smile. Don't ask your server questions like that if you aren't ready to hear the answer.
Old 08-08-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

She should not have been fired for ONLY that. However, in my experience, there is usually more to the story. If your in the customer service area, you have know, understand and be willing to put up with people.. I have a local watering hole I frequent 4-5 times a week when I’m home, I regularly take them breakfast I have made them. Part of the reason is I’ve been in there at midnight and see shit they have to put up with,
Old 08-08-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
The customer ASKED her why she lost her smile. Don't ask your server questions like that if you aren't ready to hear the answer.
Doesn't matter to me.

I have a simple rule for work as an employee. I keep my politics to myself. I expect others to do the same. If you work in customer service, that should go double. Don't like it. Tough shit.

If this was the owner, I'd have no problem with what they did. It's their business.
Old 08-08-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

The America we knew is gone, and it was gone before Trump

America’s afflictions, meanwhile, are chronic and debilitating. They did not begin with Trump, and they will not end after Nov. 3, 2020.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ter...e-before-trump

Even our papers are depressing.
Old 08-08-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Or this...

Literally in the fucking hospital and politicking like an asshole.

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...69870758727682
"Hey you know it sucks that these people were physically maimed because of my words but did you catch the rally I had near here? Place was packed and twice the number were waiting outside"
Old 08-08-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
She asked because she already knew the answer. Back when I was a teenage asshole, I had a shirt that said "Jesus" really big and then in small print underneath "protect me from your followers". When you're wearing something like that, you get to notice people's reactions. There's no way she didn't notice her server's eyes drop to the button immediately before the smile went away. She's seen that reaction before, but this time she got to do something about it.
Old 08-08-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
She asked because she already knew the answer. Back when I was a teenage asshole, I had a shirt that said "Jesus" really big and then in small print underneath "protect me from your followers". When you're wearing something like that, you get to notice people's reactions. There's no way she didn't notice her servers eyes drop to the button immediately before the smile went away. She's seen that reaction before, but this time she got to do something about it.
Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if she wore it specifically for the looks/comments.
Old 08-08-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Youíre missing a key step. The server lost her smile and then the customer asked her why she wasnít smiling. The server didnít volunteer ďI donít like your pin.Ē She responded to a question from her customer. But it seems the consensus of the forum seems to be that part of her job as a server is to lie about her own emotions to spare the feelings of every privileged asshole who might get triggered.
Old 08-08-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Youíre missing a key step. The server lost her smile and then the customer asked her why she wasnít smiling. The server didnít volunteer ďI donít like your pin.Ē She responded to a question from her customer. But it seems the consensus of the forum seems to be that part of her job as a server is to lie about her own emotions to spare the feelings of every privileged asshole who might get triggered.
That is part of the job of everyone who works in retail or service. Just because the topic happened to be politics doesn't make it less important.
Old 08-08-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
That is part of the job of everyone who works in retail or service. Just because the topic happened to be politics doesn't make it less important.
No it isnít. This womanís job was to serve food. Sheís probably making something close to minimum wage to do it. People are not automatons. People are allowed to have emotions and reactions. People are allowed to not feel super happy chipper for their entire shift, and they shouldnít be required to put on an acting performance just so some customer doesnít have to stop thinking about themselves for 10 seconds.

Obviously there is some behavior that would be unacceptable. A server who walks over to a customerís table and says ďI donít like your fucking Trump pinĒ is clearly over the line. But thatís not what happened here.
Old 08-08-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

No it isnít. This womanís job was to serve food. Sheís probably making something close to minimum wage to do it. People are not automatons. People are allowed to have emotions and reactions. People are allowed to not feel super happy chipper for their entire shift, and they shouldnít be required to put on an acting performance just so some customer doesnít have to stop thinking about themselves for 10 seconds.

Obviously there is some behavior that would be unacceptable. A server who walks over to a customerís table and says ďI donít like your fucking Trump pinĒ is clearly over the line. But thatís not what happened here.
Hyperbole.... activated. Nobody is saying that the server has to feel super happy chipper for their entire shift. Nobody is saying what the server has to feel anything in particular. But they should present themselves in a professional manner. Responding to a button that a customer is wearing isn't professional. Seems like the server is thinking about themselves and was so fragile that a simple button was enough to alter their countenance.
Old 08-08-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

But it seems the consensus of the forum seems to be that part of her job as a server is to lie about her own emotions to spare the feelings of every privileged asshole who might get triggered.
Considering how many times I bitched about the fake "overly happy to see you!" attitude of servers in US restaurants, it sure as heck seems that they are trained that way.
Old 08-08-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

You’re missing a key step. The server lost her smile and then the customer asked her why she wasn’t smiling. The server didn’t volunteer “I don’t like your pin.” She responded to a question from her customer. But it seems the consensus of the forum seems to be that part of her job as a server is to lie about her own emotions to spare the feelings of every privileged asshole who might get triggered.
Not missing the point. As I said before, that's irrelavent. Keep your politcal opinion to yourself as a server. The customer did not insult her. It seems to me that the server was the one who was triggered first. It's a fucking MAGA pin, for pete's sake. Get over it. Not to mention, she's probably faking a smile to begin with to try for bigger tips (aka lying about her own emotions).

Plus we're talking about a server in a Washington DC restuarant. I've lived here for 25 years. There is politics all over the place - in public. As a server, you should fully expect to serve people of all different political stripes. Not to mention it's a tourist hub where you're going to deal with people with a wide range of views. If you can't keep your politics to yourself in such an environment, you probably should not be a server.
Old 08-08-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

To be fair, if the waitress had stopped smiling and provided a reprehensible view upon being questioned, Iím guessing youíd think her firing was justified. For example, say sheíd been being sunny to a female customer and then turned chilly when that customerís wife showed up. If she was questioned and said she disagreed with gay marriage, canning her would likely feel less egregious. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with the emotion of your response and donít feel like itís jumping to conclusions to say Iíd find the customer to be a gross person in this situation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.