Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 07-18-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Talk about regressive. But hey, my 401k is doing great!
Old 07-18-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Pretty sure the only thing that would is if he got caught tapping his foot under an airport bathroom stall.
Some would start gobbling knob to own the libs.
Old 07-18-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And yet, he's doing so much to keep America safe!

Times Investigation: Trump administration has gutted programs aimed at detecting weapons of mass destruction

The Trump administration has quietly dismantled or cut back multiple programs that were created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to help detect and prevent terrorism involving weapons of mass destruction, a Times investigation has found.

The retreat has taken place over the last two years at the Department of Homeland Security, which has primary domestic responsibility for helping authorities identify and block potential chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats.

The changes, not previously reported, were made without rigorous review of potential security vulnerabilities, The Times found, undermining government-wide efforts aimed at countering terrorist attacks involving unconventional weapons, known as WMD.
Link here
Old 07-18-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember about two years ago there was a lot of outrage because someone said this:

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?
The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....................................
Old 07-18-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I remember about two years ago there was a lot of outrage because someone said this:

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?
The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

But hey, at least we don't have a woman in office!!! Cause that would be way worse, clearly.
Old 07-18-19, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
But hey, at least we don't have a woman in office!!! Cause that would be way worse, clearly.
When Trump leaves the White House in 2025, maybe our first woman President - Ivanka - will be ready to continue the rebirth of America in his stead. We can hope.
Old 07-18-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So bots are allowed here now?
Old 07-18-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We have all seen this clip of McCain calling Obama a decent family man. But in hind sight, given “Trump” I wonder if McCain actually knew he could have garnered more support had he attacked Obama. But instead, did the right thing even if it cost him votes.

Im not trying to make McCain a Saint. Just a thought on this one single item.

The answer he gave seems so obvious and to me one any reasonable person would give. And then Trump.

Old 07-18-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And that wasn't even a great answer, as it suggests that Obama's a good family man because he's not Muslim, but yeah, that's still a billion times better than what trump would say/do.
Old 07-18-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And that wasn't even a great answer, as it suggests that Obama's a good family man because he's not Muslim, but yeah, that's still a billion times better than what trump would say/do.
It's that attitude that caused those on the right who were like McCain, to eventually give up trying to work on unity. This idea that "unless you say exactly what I think you should say, then your answer is not good enough" is the type of purity test that tells them they shouldn't even try.

Even in retrospect, you couldn't simply say that it was the right response... only that it was better (relatively speaking) to Trump.
Old 07-18-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He illustrated why it was not the correct response. Embedded within it it was the implication that there is a inherent problem with being a Muslim.
Old 07-18-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing I find deeply troubling at this point is as follows. Hitler and the Nazi party put an indelible stain on Germany with the atrocities they committed during Hitlers rein. Its bad enough that as a general thing I dislike Germans generally speaking to this day. Mind you I have visited Germany, worked for a German company and personally been friends with German citizens but still the ENTIRE country and citizenship is more or less tainted for me. These crimes were committed in the 1940s, The things done then with concentration camps and chemical warfare / research were arguably much worse than what the current administration is doing but I have to wonder if we will be hated in the same way (yes we are already hated the same way in parts of the world I know) but will people in England start hating us the way I disdain Germans for decades to come?

Worse despite the evidence preponderance of evidence laid out in the Muller report, the speaker of the house seems complicit and has failed to impeach this traitorous racist. I have little doubt in my mind that this administration has created numerous future terrorists the way they have treated people in detention camps. Further, I am of a mind that at some future time Trump/Pence can be tried for crimes against humanity for their sanctioning of this behavior.... its a really bleak outlook and I'm essentially ashamed of my country. I'm really starting to get the feel that Rome is falling before our eyes and the majority of the populous is just posting on FB/Instagram bitching about whatever trite thing or liking pictures of puppies while the USA is falling apart before our eyes.
Old 07-18-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The issue is, of course, that millions of Americans DON’T see the country as falling apart but rather than getting back to what it “should” be (straight, white and Christian). So they’ll never see the danger because they agree with Trump.
Old 07-18-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So bots are allowed here now?
Well I know blocking is. Let's all take advantage of that feature.
Old 07-18-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
He illustrated why it was not the correct response. Embedded within it it was the implication that there is a inherent problem with being a Muslim.
I understood that. That was my point... since McCain didn't give correct response (according to him) then the only thing he had to say was that it was better than Trump. There was no grace extended toward McCain.

This distorted reality we live in that feels justified for criticizing a man who claimed that his opponent was a good and decent man shows that we deserve Trump as president. Republicans criticized McCain for that, slop did too... for a different reason.
Old 07-18-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone doubts how popular Trump is, the hashtag #IStandWithPresTrump has been trending on Twitter all morning long along with the hashtag #SendHerBack
Old 07-18-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
It's that attitude that caused those on the right who were like McCain, to eventually give up trying to work on unity. This idea that "unless you say exactly what I think you should say, then your answer is not good enough" is the type of purity test that tells them they shouldn't even try.

Even in retrospect, you couldn't simply say that it was the right response... only that it was better (relatively speaking) to Trump.
I mean, he was also obviously a bit flustered and had to wing a response to this. Her attitude "he's an Other, not an American, and a scary terrorist" was the subtext, which is what McCain responded to.

He did fine considering that.
Old 07-18-19, 11:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I mean, he was also obviously a bit flustered and had to wing a response to this. Her attitude "he's an Other, not an American, and a scary terrorist" was the subtext, which is what McCain responded to.

He did fine considering that.
I agree. It's not a wonderful amazing response, but in the context of the situation, it's fine. Just fine... but fine nonetheless.
Old 07-18-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No racist. No racist. You're the racist!

When Non-Jews Wield Anti-Semitism as Political Shield
In recent weeks, some Republicans have raised the specter of anti-Semitism as a convenient distraction from detention camps and racist tropes. And the Jews are tired of it.

https://www.gq.com/story/anti-semitism-political-shield
Old 07-18-19, 11:33 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

So Trump 100% lied about the Stormy stuff

Old 07-18-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-18-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
So Trump 100% lied about the Stormy stuff

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/stat...83683252584448
I hate to be all Draven about it, but will it really matter? Accountability within the federal government appears to be dead. Checks and balances aren't really a thing anymore. I've lost count of how many provable lies Trump and his staffers have proliferated.
Old 07-18-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And no one's going to do a damn thing about it. The case is being shut down.
Old 07-18-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Sexism is real. How dare a woman speak up and have the ambition for higher office.
Old 07-18-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I hate to be all Draven about it, but will it really matter? Accountability within the federal government appears to be dead. Checks and balances aren't really a thing anymore. I've lost count of how many provable lies Trump and his staffers have proliferated.
Yep! No one with the capability of punishing these people have any interest in doing so. #MAGA

Also, I always enjoy when they use the word “misled” instead of “lied”.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.